Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2022

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He wasn't charged with anything, just had to kick it in Castlegar for a day and a night and shell out $300 to get his vehicle back, plus the cost of a stay in a local motel. The cop just wanted to ruin his day. RCMP natch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Administrative suspensions are the biggest bullshit.

Also, making anyone stay in Castlegar for longer than absolutely necessary should be considered cruel and unusual punishment. At least it wasn't Trail!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Administrative suspensions are the biggest bullshit.

So are peace bonds for the same reason. If the state has a case to make that you've they broken the law, they should make it. These administrative half measures are bullshit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

So, turns out, Aaron Driver and Michel Zehaf-Bibeau were both sons of federal government employees. It would seem that most of our home-grown terrorism is grown by the state.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

THC posted:

So, turns out, Aaron Driver and Michel Zehaf-Bibeau were both sons of federal government employees. It would seem that most of our home-grown terrorism is grown by the state.

If we're resorting to hyperbole, the appropriate observation is that the violent rhetoric espoused by public servant unions "e.g. Harper is destroying the country" serve to radicalize the feeble-minded and incite them to violence.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's not hyperbole to say that the state is in some way involved or responsible for most of the terrorism in Canada since 2001. It's reality.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

THC posted:

It's not hyperbole to say that the state is in some way involved or responsible for most of the terrorism in Canada since 2001. It's reality.

The Ghost of Aaron Driver. You got here fast.

Fluffy Chainsaw fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 12, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If there was any chance of credibly linking labour unions to terrorism, the mounties would be all over it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't give them any ideas the last thing you want is for the RCMP to blow up a Randstad office and blame it on OPSEU in an apparent act of terrorism against filling what should be a good number of full time positions with contractors.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

THC posted:

The Trudeau government is preparing to loosen the rules of the temporary foreign worker program. They think the Conservatives went too far in their efforts to protect workers.

Liberals are the best choice for a true progressive government you guys. Real change for Canadians struggling to get ahead.

I'm not sure what you're contention is, given that there is very little to go on. The main issue with the TFW program had to do with bringing in people to work for minimum wage at jobs because the employers refused to pay anything more, so I don't see how adjusting matters regarding visiting professors or jobs that require specialized skills effects that domain, nor how opening avenues for citizenship is a bad outcome here. I'm fully willing to withdrawal this comment should the actual text of things indicate otherwise, but as it stands there isn't much to say. Reflexively jumping up and down about reduced regulation without specifics is not a good habit to be in.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THC posted:

My friend ate a 24h suspension and a $290 impound fee recently because even though he was dead sober, well rested, and easily passed their numerous sobriety tests, and a thorough search of his vehicle turned up nothing, the cop claimed he thought my friend was intoxicated "on K or M or something". Cops are loving bastards.

Is this one of those stories where the teller leaves out the preamble of being a complete bell-end to the officer?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

El Scotch posted:

Is this one of those stories where the teller leaves out the preamble of being a complete bell-end to the officer?

It's not illegal to be rude to a cop

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The cop literally began their whole interaction with "listen we can do this all voluntarily, or I can tear your car apart and charge you for everything in it"

Then when my friend cooperated meekly and answered all their questions, the cop still tore his car apart. Then when he couldn't find anything to charge him with, he left him stranded in the middle of nowhere BC. Lol

I wouldn't blame him if he was rude to the dick cop after being put through that but I doubt it, it's not his personality

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 12, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Coolwhoami posted:

I'm not sure what you're contention is, given that there is very little to go on. The main issue with the TFW program had to do with bringing in people to work for minimum wage at jobs because the employers refused to pay anything more, so I don't see how adjusting matters regarding visiting professors or jobs that require specialized skills effects that domain, nor how opening avenues for citizenship is a bad outcome here. I'm fully willing to withdrawal this comment should the actual text of things indicate otherwise, but as it stands there isn't much to say. Reflexively jumping up and down about reduced regulation without specifics is not a good habit to be in.

Did you even read the article?

quote:

“We’re also going to reduce some of the barriers and the silly rules … in order to give companies freedom to bring in the best and the brightest,” said Mr. McCallum. “We’ll get rid of many of these [required] labour-market impact assessments which slow things down enormously.”

So the Liberals want the government to stop checking whether there's actually a legitimate need for foreign workers.

And here's where industry pressure is coming from according to the article. Hint: it's not universities.

quote:

From Atlantic fish processors to Vancouver-based yoga-wear retailer Lululemon Athletica Inc., committee members got an earful from industry groups complaining that the federal crackdown on the program in recent years was excessive.

“There is a critical talent shortage for key head-office positions,” Lululemon officials told MPs in a brief to the committee, pointing to design, product development and digital work as examples of skills shortages in the apparel industry. “The temporary foreign worker program is currently our primary recourse to address structural labour-market needs, yet the program is bureaucratic, sluggish and ill-equipped to meet the needs of high-skill, high-speed, globally competitive sectors.”

And here's what the program was doing before the Conservatives started facing a public backlash:

quote:

The Conservative government announced an overhaul of the program in June, 2014, after a series of allegations that it was being abused by employers. Some of the more high-profile cases involved B.C.’s HD Mining, which brought in more than 200 foreign workers from China even though Canadians had applied. Three Victoria McDonald’s restaurants were also placed on a federal blacklist for allegedly hiring foreign workers over available Canadians.

The number of temporary foreign worker positions approved by Ottawa has dropped from about 200,000 in 2012 to 90,211 in 2015. Of those, 53,000 were in primary agriculture, 22,000 were in high-wage positions and 15,000 were for low-wage jobs.

Those "structural" labour market needs that Lu Lu Lemon was referring to are that they don't want to offer better pay when they know that the Liberal government will let them bring in foreigner to work for way less. That's it, full stop.

And here we get another example of how a conservative government, especially a minority government, would have the same policies as Trudeau but would probably face greater scrutiny and opposition. Harper actually bent a bit to public pressure in this regard whereas huge numbers of gullible Canadians will ignore worse behaviour coming from the Liberal party, and newspapers like the Toronto Star will bury these stories on page 6 while running front line articles about how uptight and joyless those Conservatives are over Trudeau going shirtless.

El Scotch posted:

What the hell is wrong with you that this would be your first reaction to that story?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, never "cooperate" with the police. When they're out to pad their stats or their fragile sense of authority they will gently caress you over for being "rude" and double gently caress you over for cooperating. When the police are out to get you the best you can do is do everything to not be beaten or shot. If they want your money, property, or time, they will have it and there's nothing you can do. Most gross violations of your rights have a chance of making it to court let alone having any sort of justice done. Thugs with a union and a victim complex.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tin Hat posted:

It's not illegal to be rude to a cop

Yeah but it sure is stupid and a zero-sum game.

THC posted:

The cop literally began their whole interaction with "listen we can do this all voluntarily, or I can tear your car apart and charge you for everything in it"

Then when my friend cooperated meekly and answered all their questions, the cop still tore his car apart. Then when he couldn't find anything to charge him with, he left him stranded in the middle of nowhere BC. Lol

I wouldn't blame him if he was rude to the dick cop after being put through that but I doubt it, it's not his personality

Did his car stink like pot? Was he speeding? Weed leaf hat? What is missing from the story here

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

zapplez posted:

Yeah but it sure is stupid and a zero-sum game.

I'm not defending being rude to cops, I'm saying spite is not an acceptable reason to impound someone.

EDIT: Also there was no mention of rudeness in the story, my comment was in response to someone's lame reply

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is your friend a minority?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's easy to say you should never cooperate with the police but sometimes it can't really be avoided. There are certain situations where bringing in the cops is appropriate, even though you're inevitably putting people at risk when you call the police on them. I recently went into a convenience store where there was an agitated 6'5 man throwing things and sexually harassing the female clerk. The male store clerk told me the man had earlier been brandishing a knife and asked me to leave the store and call the cops. Obviously I did as I was asked, then stuck around and filmed the subsequent arrest.).

I wasn't particularly enthused to have to call the cops in this case and in the back of my mind I was thinking about how that phone call might indirectly lead to this guy getting shot, but I didn't exactly feel as though I had a lot of options. A large and mentally unstable man with a weapon was threatening two much smaller people and my only reasonable choices were to call the police or get involved myself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

I wasn't particularly enthused to have to call the cops in this case and in the back of my mind I was thinking about how that phone call might indirectly lead to this guy getting shot, but I didn't exactly feel as though I had a lot of options. A large and mentally unstable man with a weapon was threatening two much smaller people and my only reasonable choices were to call the police or get involved myself.

Mmm, yeah, would've been a huge loss if he threatened the police with a weapon and got shot.

You did the right thing.

For what it's worth, I talked with my RCMP buddy about the Sammy Yatim incident and he agreed that a) the cop acted completely inappropriately and b) anyone who would act that way should not be a cop. He told me he's sick of having to work in an organization with horrendous cops, because it makes his job that much more difficult and dangerous to actually do properly.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Trapick posted:

Is your friend a minority?

Bingo. Parents are East Indian and Latino.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Being rude to cops isn't a good idea but it's still victim blaming if you blame anyone in the situation except the cop who abused his authority just because he felt slighted. Also, "well he must have been rude to the cop" is very similar in bullshit excuse levels to "well the video doesn't show the whole story", as if it could justify what the cop did.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Helsing posted:

It's easy to say you should never cooperate with the police but sometimes it can't really be avoided. There are certain situations where bringing in the cops is appropriate, even though you're inevitably putting people at risk when you call the police on them. I recently went into a convenience store where there was an agitated 6'5 man throwing things and sexually harassing the female clerk. The male store clerk told me the man had earlier been brandishing a knife and asked me to leave the store and call the cops. Obviously I did as I was asked, then stuck around and filmed the subsequent arrest.).

Clearly you should have called your lawyer first.

Edit: Fixed so PT doesn't have an embolism.

Homeroom Fingering fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 12, 2016

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Is there an online resource that outlines clearly Canadian citizen rights in the event of a police stop/search/arrest?

Anyway, late to the party but the Ford video is just sad. A broken man on a broken drug. It is definitely easier to do now that he is dead, but that's the most human he has ever been to me. For context, I was one of the jackasses that donated to gawker to buy the video in the first place.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 9, 2022

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I have now seen a fat man smoke crack

yay!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tetsul posted:

Clearly you should of called your lawyer first.

Clearly you should learn to speak English.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stickarts posted:

On this note, do you have an online resource you would recommend that outlines clearly Canadian citizen rights in the event of a police stop/search/arrest?
If a cop is willing to lie and claim you "seem intoxicated", you're basically hosed and he can suspend your license and tow your car.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

PT6A posted:

Clearly you should learn to speak English.

Technically isn't it writing?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

THC posted:

If a cop is willing to lie and claim you "seem intoxicated", you're basically hosed and he can suspend your license and tow your car.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Sure, there's risk involved, but it's absolutely not the case that the police can gently caress you over without recourse because :catdrugs:. Parliament has thankfully been wiser than that, and the Crown can actually be held liable now a lot of the time when it does lovely things. Besides, you also have the option to find someone the bad actors answer to, and make it known that they're shirking their duty. Or you can name and shame them publicly. There's gently caress-all they can do if you're telling the truth.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 9, 2022

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I have done some casual googling in the past to no effect and it is encouraging that one of you legal-person types can confirm that sort of resource isn't readily available or widely distributed. Just filtering out American sources (of which, no surprise, there are too many to count) was an achievement in itself.

I am of course going to completely ignore your disclaimer and take your understanding of the law as canonical truth.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
It's a fact that the Crown can indeed be liable for some things it does. It's also a fact that if someone fucks you over hard enough, you can set up a web site to tell the world what they've done, and truth is an absolute defense. (The measures required probably aren't worth it over $300, but being so dismissive about it shows you to be out of your depth.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm cooperating and being nice to the police right now.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You should spit in his drink before he leaves the Arby's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Are people not entitled to free legal representation if they can't afford it?