Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's a contradiction of the idea that government funded media would solve all our problems in that field.

Which is ridiculous, given that NPR member stations receive 5% of their funds from governments. It's like PBS in that it barely qualifies as "public broadcasting" by the funding standards of any of the high-quality public broadcasters of Canada or the UK, especially given that NPR is both a fragmented network of local public radio stations and a content creator that syndicates some programming rather than a single coordinating entity.

By contrast the CBC just got an extra $150 million bucks to its $1.036 billion dollars of government funding, while Beeb and the other Euro corps are almost entirely publicly funded.

The government throwing a few bucks at a problem and people taking it as a sign that the policy doesn't work because the problem wasn't magically solved is really just about the most American thing ever. (Although yes, I know D&D is smarter than that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

It's a contradiction of the idea that government funded media would solve all our problems in that field.

Public funds make up something like 10% of their funding. Corporate underwriting makes up a much larger slice of their money.

Ray Kroc's McDonalds fortune is a substantially larger contributor to public radio than the government.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

Kai Ryssdal, Lynne Rossetto Kasper, and David Brancaccio are the first against the wall.

I am willing to go along with this. Marketplace is loving awful.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

gfsincere posted:

The source of what? The game Puerto Rico, which says it's set in the 18th century, during which they were heavily engaged in chattel slavery, and has all the "worker" tokens that are brown come over on ships (slave ships) and all the overseers of the factories are white tokens? I mean, it can't be a more blatant effort of whitewashing of history in board games.

It's weird how uncomfortable white people get about this. I've done some work with the Sto:Lo (you know exactly one word of their language, "sasquatch"), who had slaves. Their attitude about it is "we'd like to remember our history because that's important to us, and that means the bad poo poo too."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

I think he's saying that the tokens should be referred to as slaves instead of pretending they are just "workers" that had a choice of working there.

Ah, gotcha.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

Kai Ryssdal, Lynne Rossetto Kasper, and David Brancaccio are the first against the wall.

Anyone with a vocal fry has to dig their own grave.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXDe8HxHBA

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Mr Hootington posted:

Aww, I like the Splendid Table, even if I have no idea what half the ingredients are. :smith:

This American Life can kinda gently caress off though

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

D&d has a weird hate boner for NPR I will never understand

I certainly don't hate NPR but the weasely bullshit that Taerkar and sean10mm point to is bullshit.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Leftist Circular Firing Squad Comes for NPR is real tedious.

This is just lazy dude.

EDIT:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am willing to go along with this. Marketplace is loving awful.

Yeah, I hated it when they spent a whole week criticizing the concept to shareholder value too.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hillary has launched a podcast, "With Her." gently caress if I'm gonna listen, though. Anyone want to take one for the team?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New Brietbart poll has Trump up 1.

In Georgia.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/764112503811010560

Oh good, he's actually opposing Donald when it's now "all clear" to because "LOLSARCASMUGUYZ"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

New Brietbart poll has Trump up 1.

In Georgia.

When a Brietbart commissioned Gravis poll can only get to Trump plus one in Georgia, you got some problems.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm unironically in favor of this.

Going to need a GIF of Hillary saying "Yeah I vape so what".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

I think he's saying that the tokens should be referred to as slaves instead of pretending they are just "workers" that had a choice of working there.

And a game where you explicitly are a slaver for fun is somehow better?

The trouble is that all history everywhere is filled with terrible horrors. Ticket to Ride would be a different game indeed if you had to crush union strikes and kill every Native American in the way of your transcontinental route. That's probably why so many games make the pieces inanimate objects or say "gently caress it, it is the sci-fi future and the meeples are robots!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Teddybear posted:

Hillary has launched a podcast, "With Her." gently caress if I'm gonna listen, though. Anyone want to take one for the team?

That sounds like the worst listen ever.

Unless it's like Obama, Biden, Bill, Kaine and Hillary just shooting the poo poo mocking republicans.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Solkanar512 posted:

I certainly don't hate NPR but the weasely bullshit that Taerkar and sean10mm point to is bullshit.

This is just lazy dude.

EDIT:

Yeah, I hated it when they spent a whole week criticizing the concept to shareholder value too.

I am not sure what you're even after here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am not sure what you're even after here.

What exactly did you mean by "circular firing squad"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Kai Ryssdal is a cool as gently caress name.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

This happens literally every time. They made Sean Spicer go on TV and say My Little Pony Did Anti Semitism and then the next day said it was in fact plagarism done by the eternally hapless and definitely for sure real Meredith McIver.

The way the Trump campaign works is that Trump says something insane, his surrogates go out and throw as many attempts at "context" and "Hillary is the only one complaining" against the wall to see if it sticks, then if nothing Sticks Trump says something else insane and the cycle repeats. The only reason we're getting a follow up of "it's called sarcasm, look it up, idiot" for the most recent examples is that they were particularly insane things that Trump couldn't drown out with another insane thing.

Never say Trump can' learn. His lesson from the "Mexicans can't judge me. Probably not Muslims either" incident is that if he doesn't have something at least as incendiary to follow up with the press will cover the thing for weeks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

What exactly did you mean by "circular firing squad"?

Leftist Circular Firing Squad is pretty self-explanatory, mate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Sounds like a SW character, imo

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

you say dicks out for harambe

i say dicks out for moving this country forward at the voting booth this november

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump thought winning 45% of the 15% of eligible voters who voted in the GOP primary made him an even bigger genius than he already thought he was, when in reality it just meant that ~7% of the US electorate wanted to vote in a primary for what a bleached rear end in a top hat thinks the rest of itself looks like.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I do not understand any of this. Why is Clinton paying for an ad that endorses marijuanna?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Trump thought winning 45% of the 15% of eligible voters who voted in the GOP primary made him an even bigger genius than he already thought he was, when in reality it just meant that ~7% of the US electorate wanted to vote in a primary for what a bleached rear end in a top hat thinks the rest of itself looks like.

Yeah it's funny that we're all still so burned by the primary that we're all afraid to say that Trump is doomed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My Imaginary GF posted:

I do not understand any of this. Why is Clinton paying for an ad that endorses marijuanna?

I believe it is in her platform to legalize, or at least push it down to Schedule II so research can be done.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Gyges posted:

The way the Trump campaign works is that Trump says something insane, his surrogates go out and throw as many attempts at "context" and "Hillary is the only one complaining" against the wall to see if it sticks, then if nothing Sticks Trump says something else insane and the cycle repeats. The only reason we're getting a follow up of "it's called sarcasm, look it up, idiot" for the most recent examples is that they were particularly insane things that Trump couldn't drown out with another insane thing.

I didn't want to empty quote, so I typed this sentence right here. I typed this sentence too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Yeah it's funny that we're all still so burned by the primary that we're all afraid to say that Trump is doomed.

Interestingly, Hillary now has more EVs in the polls-only than in the nowcast.

Polls only thinks things will only get worse in the future, I guess?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So we're at puppet strings now?

What's the next step? We've already had the Glistening.
He'll probably skip "rolling with the punches" and go right to "posting like it never happened."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

I believe it is in her platform to legalize, or at least push it down to Schedule II so research can be done.

Well that's stupid, you aren't going to win Georgia by being pro-pot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well that's stupid, you aren't going to win Georgia by being pro-pot.

This is where you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

He'll probably skip "rolling with the punches" and go right to "posting like it never happened."

"Actually, it's funny for me to come back from campaigning at the gym and see you still in here being a liberal wuss"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I feel like where before his stupid/insane comments were basically overlooked now the media has stopped the horse race narrative (for now) and is most likely waiting until the first debate to pivot to some sort of new narrative. In the meantime every stupid or insane thing seems to push his numbers even lower. Each statement makes the dems want to turn out more and republicans want to turn out less. At this point Trump going to a debate is a high risk maneuver, but it may be the only thing he can do to stop this hemorrhaging of republicans from his campaign. If he doesn't show up it'll be the republican debate all over again where he cedes the narrative to his opponents. If he does show up he may get a pass on air if he doesn't say anything too insane, but all the American people will be watching, not just his audience. Most people haven't listened to an entire speech from him yet. They've just gotten heavily curated sound bites. Maybe he can stun Hillary with a statement so stupid that she can't respond to it and appear as if he's scored some sort of point, idk.

What infuriates me is this different standard both of them are held to. The bar can't go any lower for Trump. People will call it a victory if he doesn't poo poo on the floor and roll in it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is where you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You win Georgia by uniting rural whites with African Americans against their true enemy: the weed-smoking plantation class.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah but the way he just rolls "This ..... is Marketplaayse" around in his mouth makes me dislike him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

You win Georgia by uniting rural whites with African Americans against their true enemy: the weed-smoking plantation class.

*sigh*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I can not wait for Hillary to win Arizona, Georgia, and a Carolina, but lose Iowa because everyone here is old and white.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

poor life choice posted:

Yeah but the way he just rolls "This ..... is Marketplaayse" around in his mouth makes me dislike him.

I don't have strong feelings about the guy or his show, but his tone of voice when he says that is the platonic ideal of sounding like a colossal douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poor life choice posted:

I like how they do sad versions of "We're in the Money" when the NYSE is down for the day

• Locked thread