Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who is this Bill Mitchell creature

He looks like Patrick Warburton impregnated Timothy Dalton and the result's head got stuck in a storm drain overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

Where are the rest of the Texas numbers PPP? I got that polling itch, I need the juice

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765285545484414976

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Two deaths means Speaker of the House.

Which would have been Joseph William Martin Jr., Sam Rayburn, or McCormack. None of them were Communists or Communist sympathizers.

Actually, prior to the Presidential Succession Act of 1947, the Speaker and the President Pro Tem of the Senate were not part of the line of succession. In event of the Pres and VP being unable to perform their duties, it would devolve to the Secretary of State. My guess is that the Iron Rose was referring to the fact that Hiss was a member of the State Department.

Edited to add: :goonsay:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fox Ironic posted:

To be fair, food poisoning sucks really bad and the Prime Minister was more embarrassed that Bush Sr got sick from food served at the banquet than angry that Bush vomited on him.
Yeah, there's the kind of embarrassing incident you have no control over (being sick) and the kind of embarrassing incident you did on purpose (like pretty much anything Trump says).

I thought puking on the Japanese PM was dang funny, but I was never like "ugh we'll never live this down as a country"

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

A Bag of Milk posted:

Where are the rest of the Texas numbers PPP? I got that polling itch, I need the juice

I'd take any accredited poll at this point. Especially since I'm push polling for Florida Republicans today :smithicide:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ReidRansom posted:

..., especially for (black) teens. (Others on case by case basis (whites permitted))

When we were under curfew here, police literally begged white people who were out past ten to go inside, but arrested black people left and right. It was a really strange, maddening week, condolences to anyone in Milwaukee.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Teddybear posted:

Two House committees demanding that the DOJ indict and convict Hillary on perjury for a 2015 congressional hearing.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/house-panels-lay-out-case-for-clinton-perjury-accusations

Time until Trump mentions this in his stump speeches...?

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Not sure if this has come up yet http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b224c9e4b007c36e4fc81e

[quote
WASHINGTON ― Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump on Monday proposed that the United States administer an ideological test to visa applicants before allowing them to enter the country.[/quote]

I don't have a lot of respect for Trump to put it mildly, but I find it hard to disagree too strenuously with this line of reasoning even if, is if it needed saying, I don't trust Trump to implement anything like this. I would really like to see the Democratic Party discussing and reclaiming issues like this.

Sharia supporting populations are used as a bit of a bogeyman it's true. Nevertheless it's an issue the public cares about and not entirely without cause. Immigration is a privilege, not a right, and I don't believe putting ideologicalal preconditions on it is unconstitutional or goes against the principles of a free society.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Liberal_L33t posted:

I don't have a lot of respect for Trump to put it mildly, but I find it hard to disagree too strenuously with this line of reasoning

You should.

The people proposing this ideological test wouldn't be able to pass it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Liberal_L33t posted:

Not sure if this has come up yet http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b224c9e4b007c36e4fc81e

I don't have a lot of respect for Trump to put it mildly, but I find it hard to disagree too strenuously with this line of reasoning even if, is if it needed saying, I don't trust Trump to implement anything like this. I would really like to see the Democratic Party discussing and reclaiming issues like this.

Sharia supporting populations are used as a bit of a bogeyman it's true. Nevertheless it's an issue the public cares about and not entirely without cause. Immigration is a privilege, not a right, and I don't believe putting ideologicalal preconditions on it is unconstitutional or goes against the principles of a free society.

Ah but then you do want to just nuke the Middle East so for you Trump suggestion is just a step in the right direction.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ImpAtom posted:

You should.

Which is the entire point of the test, really.

It's like they tried their damndest to take things back to the sixties in this response.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only ideological test you should have to pass to immigrate is "I will pay taxes to the us government in accordance to us law". I don't give a hot gently caress if you don't plan to vote, celebrate holidays I've never heard of and plan to educate as many people in a religion you invented as long as you pay your loving taxes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Testing for 'ideological purity' is a bad idea to begin with but even worse when it would be disproportionately applied. Nobody would make a Christian from Wisconsin undergo this test and if they did there's a good chance they'd fail a lot harder than someone attempting to legally immigrate.

And if someone is a REAL TERRORIST there is literally nothing stopping them from lying on the test.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Barudak posted:

The only ideological test you should have to pass to immigrate is "I will pay taxes to the us government in accordance to us law". I don't give a hot gently caress if you don't plan to vote, celebrate holidays I've never heard of and plan to educate as many people in a religion you invented as long as you pay your loving taxes.

Also they'll obey US laws and respect other people as long as they aren't breaking laws.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ImpAtom posted:

Testing for 'ideological purity' is a bad idea to begin with but even worse when it would be disproportionately applied. Nobody would make a Christian from Wisconsin undergo this test and if they did there's a good chance they'd fail a lot harder than someone attempting to legally immigrate.

And if someone is a REAL TERRORIST there is literally nothing stopping them from lying on the test.

You must be completely for religious freedom except dirty Muslims keep the gently caress out!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Liberal_L33t posted:

The Constitution of the United States of America posted:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

Yes, it does.

Immigrants will never come to the United States in large enough numbers to overthrow the existing political structure without support of preexisting populations. Furthermore, the myth of immigrants not integrating is garbage and is fueled only by people mad that immigrants don't spontaneously transform into suburban white people without foreign accents. Your idea is stupid and you are wrong.

also you're racist

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

You should.

I'm not sure how you phrase a theoretical ideological screen without inherently violation g the ideology behind the first amendment.

Maybe " do you support the imminent violent overthrow of the united States government"?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Liberal_L33t posted:

Mods, change his username to "Fascist_L33t" plz

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure how you phrase a theoretical ideological screen without inherently violation g the ideology behind the first amendment.

Maybe " do you support the imminent violent overthrow of the united States government"?
I assume he's thinking that since immigrants aren't US citizens yet, and may not even be present in the US when applying for a visa, then the Constitution doesn't apply to them. But yeah it's very much against the spirit of the Constitution.

edit: But I see your point, you're saying that by imposing an ideological test, you'd be violating the very ideology that you're trying to protect

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The first 25 seconds is all that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpB9NibJJkc

Oh, Joe. :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, it does.

Immigrants will never come to the United States in large enough numbers to overthrow the existing political structure without support of preexisting populations. Furthermore, the myth of immigrants not integrating is garbage and is fueled only by people mad that immigrants don't spontaneously transform into suburban white people without foreign accents. Your idea is stupid and you are wrong.

also you're racist

I always laugh at the "non-integrating immigrants will destroy America" line. It's been used for just about every race for the past hundred years. Hell it was used against catholics and the loving Irish back in the early 20th century.

The more things change the more they stay the same

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 15, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Liberal_L33t posted:

"If we don't like how you think you can :frogout:" goes directly against the principles of a free society though? Like there is zero chance than a test of this nature wouldn't be abused heavily. I'd prefer if the Democrats wouldn't try to reclaim being racist, but maybe it's just me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monaghan posted:

I always laugh at the "non-immigrating immigrants will destroy America" line. It's been used for just about every race for the past hundred years. Hell it was used against catholics and the loving Irish back in the early 20th century.

The more things change the more things the more stay they stay the same

My dad is from Mexico. My mom is an Italian German Catholic.

gently caress Donald Trump and anyone who agrees with anything about his immigration policy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Augus posted:

The "Hillary Clinton is too sick to run for office" angle is really stupid because it operates under the assumption that Tim Kaine wouldn't still be a better choice than Trump or Pence. A very bad assumption.

It's probably the same sort of thinking that made right-wingers push for Bill Clinton or Obama to be impeached. Meaning, a lot of them likely think that the Democrat's top guy getting knocked out of power means "Republicans win by default!" and they automatically get the presidency. Instead of, you know, the next Democrat in line being the one who gets the job.

Though admittedly, it would have been fun to see the slowly dawning horror among conservatives once they realized that getting their full-on impeachment wish against Clinton or Obama meant they now had to deal with President Al Gore or President Joe Biden. :laugh:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

Fight the real enemy, communitarianism. People sharing, talking. Going out to lunch together. It all flies in the face of reason.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Liberal_L33t posted:

My dad immigrated here from Nigeria in '79. He told me all about how our current system already puts unnecessary expectations onto immigrants, especially ones from non-white countries. If we let this "test" go through, all that would happen is placing even more arbitrary hurdles on immigration that would encourage more people to come in illegally for a pathetic illusion of safety. The only things we'd really accomplish is making scared racists feel a little safer for a while since they think this would limit people different from them coming in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Just caught Trump telling his supporters they should monitor voting places for fraud

this will end well

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Teddybear posted:

Two House committees demanding that the DOJ indict and convict Hillary on perjury for a 2015 congressional hearing.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/house-panels-lay-out-case-for-clinton-perjury-accusations

For fucks sake.

Since we are bringing back everything from the 90s, can we get a holographic Tupac in zubazz as the special prosecutor?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unsurprisingly...

quote:

Donald Trump on Monday laid out some big plans to change the U.S. immigration system, calling for the suspension of immigration from regions that have "a history of exporting terrorism" and the roll-out of an ideological test to weed out foreigners who may support "radical Islamic terrorism."

The problem, people familiar with the immigration system say, is that many of Trump's ideas will be nearly impossible to implement. And some may wind up actually increasing the terrorist threat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is it that so many people assume that terrorists or evil people or whatever are incapable of lying? I mean it seems like they assume strict honesty from people who they think have the explicit goal of destroying the country.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It's kind of interesting watching Trump act out the Southern Strategy over the course of a single election. Start with blatant racism, slowly backtrack into dog whistles and euphemisms. Too bad his base wants the blatant racism and the general electorate wants neither at this point.

quote:

Why is it that so many people assume that terrorists or evil people or whatever are incapable of lying? I mean it seems like they assume strict honesty from people who they think have the explicit goal of destroying the country.

Terrorists are just vampires. Say the magic holy words RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM and they turn to dust.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Liberal_L33t posted:

I don't have a lot of respect for Trump to put it mildly, but

lmao

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What if while they're answering the questions they cross their fingers? :ohdear:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's pretty amazing to think how much worse the already pretty bad immigration screening system would be if even a third of trump's idiotic ideas were implemented. The backlog would be absurd.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Lung posted:

When will Chaffetz please go away? He's so awful.

Also thanks thread, I now know that George HW Bush puked on the Japanese Prime Minister and then fainted. Which is so amazing, I am absolutely beside myself with glee.
Now look up "Jimmy Carter swimming rabbit."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bacon test. If they eat the bacon they're not terrorists.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Conservatives are in favor of the immigration questionnaire for the same reason they used to love administering quizzes to vote. They know for a stone cold fact they can be manipulated to affect access, that's kind of the whole point

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If Trump wants to make sure all immigrants will behave in a way that is consistent with the majority of the US just make sure they are voting for Hillary

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Monaghan posted:

I always laugh at the "non-integrating immigrants will destroy America" line. It's been used for just about every race for the past hundred years. Hell it was used against catholics and the loving Irish back in the early 20th century.

The more things change the more they stay the same

And it was used about German, Polish, and Italian people before then

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There is this strange legalism in conservative thought. I thought this desire for some kind of complicated torturous legal justification for, well, torture was absurd: if there was, somehow, some preposterous TV-esque chain of events where you have to break a man's fingers in order to get the nuclear disarm codes, then yes, you do that and you face trial later. That is presumably part of why we have things like pardons, so they can say "He broke the law, and the law is real, but in this specific situation we're letting him off."

What is the benefit of some kind of system that takes pains to make it easier to torture people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

There is this strange legalism in conservative thought. I thought this desire for some kind of complicated torturous legal justification for, well, torture was absurd: if there was, somehow, some preposterous TV-esque chain of events where you have to break a man's fingers in order to get the nuclear disarm codes, then yes, you do that and you face trial later. That is presumably part of why we have things like pardons, so they can say "He broke the law, and the law is real, but in this specific situation we're letting him off."

What is the benefit of some kind of system that takes pains to make it easier to torture people?
It lets the world know we're tough. If our enemies fear nothing, we will teach them pain.

• Locked thread