Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

She also once said you don't want someone in a catsuit padding around in flats so she has an opinion on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah that was the same interview.

At leat they actually gave her stuff to do to make up for it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't like the concept of wearing heels and don't understand the appeal of seeing others in heels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's nothing necessarily wrong with catsuits, but miniskirts would have been better.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I don't like the concept of wearing heels and don't understand the appeal of seeing others in heels.

Yeah, me neither.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Was there some issue with a producer on Voyager creeping on her or am I making that up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm 10 episodes in and Voyager is like torture.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Super normal stimuli?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was there some issue with a producer on Voyager creeping on her or am I making that up

A year or two after she was hired on Voyager she began an affair with Brannon Braga.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Timby posted:

A year or two after she was hired on Voyager she began an affair with Brannon Braga.

Oh, that explains a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
VOYAGER HOLODECK PROGRAM EPISODE.

For gently caress's sake.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boy are you in for it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How do the photonic lifeforms of Voyager reproduce? Are there wavelengths of light which contain photonic chromosomes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who created the Holodeck? I would like to punch them in the nose.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I'm 10 episodes in and Voyager is like torture.

I'm on a rewatch now too, and I'm in the middle of Prime Factors as I type this. It's...okay. Emanations was actually pretty decent, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The Holodeck is the single most terrifying piece of Star Trek technology in a universe of terrifying technology. Its ramifications are incomparable to any other technological breakthrough in human history.

Very early on it is established that the Holodeck can easily generate lethal force, and if you word your requirements to the computer carelessly, it will go so far as to create sentient intelligence that can cause the rest of the ship to critically malfunction and eventually even achieve life.

By all rights it is far too dangerous even for an advanced society, as it bestows god-like and often unintended power at the turn of a phrase, but even so the Enterprise crew have almost no practical appreciation for even its most basic capabilities. Using the Holodeck, you can solve for literally any problem. With enough practice, you could probably even match the capabilities of most of the demigods that the Enterprise regularly encounters, simply by projecting the Holodeck's full capabilities with enough skill and practice. There are a few episodes that touch on this, until we get the more gritty DS9, which decides that most people would just use it for a really good wank.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they can just make all the women be naked in the new show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cojawfee posted:

It's too late.

I've seen everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

With the Holodeck you could just make naked versions of all the women, program them to think that this was normal, and then make them sentient after you use the Holodeck to kill all the real people. However, to make a long story short, this episode more or less ends with the flashback sequences from Event Horizon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's too late.

I've seen everything.

I giggle like a loon every time this gets referenced.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Cojawfee posted:

Are we ready for an all-Ferengi Star Trek?

One thing I agree with the Dilbert guy is if holodecks were real no one would ever leave and nothing would get done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gnome de plume posted:

One thing I agree with the Dilbert guy is if holodecks were real no one would ever leave and nothing would get done.

No poo poo. I'd create a landscape made out of naked Cindy Crawford's and never leave.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The real reason the starship crew didn't use the holodeck to create a murderous killing machine with 40 boobs and 60 tentacles that eats everything after having sex with it, is because humans evolved past the desire to do such a thing.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Except for Barclay.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Except for Riker.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
We all remember Kira-body-Quark-head.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Rhyno, just do yourself a favor and only watch the better \ more noteworthy \ infamous Voyager episodes. Life is too short.

I can watch some mediocre garbage but even I can't watch all of Voyager all the way through. I'm not strong enough.

I'm watching the original BSG now, though. It's at least fun albeit really stupid. I found seasons 1-2 for the new BSG for cheap and I was like "you know, I'll watch the old ones too."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Computer load program LaForge Anthropormophic Nebula-Class Starships With Tits and Thick Nipples Gamma Twelve.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rhyno, just do yourself a favor and only watch the better \ more noteworthy \ infamous Voyager episodes. Life is too short.

I can watch some mediocre garbage but even I can't watch all of Voyager all the way through. I'm not strong enough.

I'm watching the original BSG now, though. It's at least fun albeit really stupid. I found seasons 1-2 for the new BSG for cheap and I was like "you know, I'll watch the old ones too."

I'm only binging because it's my day off. Normally I only watch an episode while on the elliptical.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Roddenberry, who else?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WickedHate posted:

It makes your legs and rear end look good.

Still no reason for them to be in Star Trek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Met posted:

It makes your legs and rear end look good.

Still no reason for them to be in Star Trek.

When you look like Jerri Ryan that is reason enough.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He's aged very well but he very much has shown signs of aging. Please compare:

Wow, you're right! :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How do the photonic lifeforms of Voyager reproduce? Are there wavelengths of light which contain photonic chromosomes?

"When one photonic lifeform and another photonic lifeform love each other very much,"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Y'all dumb, I think they do it pretty accurately considering that holodecks seem to be an established technology. Addiction exists and I bet it's more common on Earth or whatever, but most people, shockingly enough, will have some fun with the hologames and then go do poo poo with other people or engage in other motivated experiences in reality.

We just happen to be in the population of nerds who would be way more susceptible to holodeck addiction, sort of like how novelists often have romantic tragic hero novel-writers in their novels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They just found a '37 Ford floating in space.

I hate my life.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Otisburg posted:

Computer load program LaForge Anthropormophic Nebula-Class Starships With Tits and Thick Nipples Gamma Twelve.

Mmm, look at those curves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You sick gently caress

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

They just found a '37 Ford floating in space.

I hate my life.

yeah but didn't THE CITIES!!!!!!!! blow your mind?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sash! posted:

I'd forgotten that Tackleberry was in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

You'd think they could've just reused Standard Star Trek Alien City Matte Painting #1, at least.