Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

TR2055 was 19.64 on August 20, 2010, and it's 33.14 on August 12, 2016. That's up 69%, which is about 30% inferior to the S&P500's up 99%.

Coincidentally, TR2055 is 30% International Stock!

You're still doing really well; you just didn't perform as well as a "Only bought the winner" portfolio because you have a balanced portfolio that should perform better in the long run.
Ah, if only to be frugal and lucky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
That is 100% pro and legal method of exiting an abusive relationship.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guinness posted:

The target 2040-2050 funds are all about 36% international, which is poo poo and has been poo poo for the same 5 year time period (only up ~5%).

International is rocking it this year though. It's reasonable to expect that international is not forever damaged and will cyclically turn around to become a top performer before it shits the bed again, ultimately coming out to not too far off US stock market returns in the long run, especially after foreign tax credits.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JohnGalt posted:

BWM & BWL coworker bragging to me about how he is going to take our companies generous tuition assistance program to get his MBA at a top program and then immediately quit and declare bankruptcy to avoid paying for it and leave for more pay at another company.

Dude. I'm going to rat you out so fast if you do this because youre going to gently caress it up for the rest of us.

This will work put well when future employers run his credit as part of the job application.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

cowofwar posted:

That is 100% pro and legal method of exiting an abusive relationship.

It seems weird to me that she stayed in that relationship for two years.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Struensee posted:

That's not unusual for abusive relationships.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Grumpwagon posted:

That's not unusual for abusive relationships.

Well he must be hella downplaying his abusiveness because it seems like a bit of a leap in logic with there only being one physical altercation two years prior to this.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

baquerd posted:

International is rocking it this year though. It's reasonable to expect that international is not forever damaged and will cyclically turn around to become a top performer before it shits the bed again, ultimately coming out to not too far off US stock market returns in the long run, especially after foreign tax credits.

Right, and I didn't say otherwise. Just explaining why the target date funds have performed less than the S&P 500, because they are 1/3 international which has been underperforming the past several years. That could change at any moment and the inverse could be true for the next 5 years.

Though I don't know if I would say that international has been rocking it YTD. It's great that it is turning around and not losing value like in years past, but its 5.5% YTD return is still lagging behind the S&P's 7.5% YTD and VTI's nearly-8% YTD. For really rocking it, the small cap indices like VB are up ~11% YTD and REIT funds like VNQ are up ~13% YTD.

My point being, to get back to the original article, is that it only said they were invested in "index funds" and that's a really broad category with really broad differences in returns. But there are definitely categories of index funds that would have nearly doubled your money in the past 4-5 years.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wickerman posted:

Well he must be hella downplaying his abusiveness because it seems like a bit of a leap in logic with there only being one physical altercation two years prior to this.

Someone who is abusive is downplaying it on the internet? Weird!

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Wickerman posted:

With the way he seems focused on damages I'd guess he stopped hitting her and maybe moved on to punching holes in the walls and/or throwing poo poo around.

Struensee posted:

Abusive relationships are often a cycle where after each abusive incident happens the abuser enters a honeymoon phase where they act much nicer and promise to change and never do it again... until another incident inevitably happens and the cycle repeats. That keeps the victim in the relationship hoping for something better.

Another factor frequently keeping the victim in the relationship is the fact that the most dangerous time in an abusive relationship is when the victim decides to leave. Leaving risks sparking a violent or even deadly incident. It may have taken her a long time to arrange everything so she could get rid of him safely, without having to do it face-to-face and risk him hitting her again.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 15, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wickerman posted:

Abuse in ways that are not physical can absolutely be just as damaging to a person, and the fact that he seems to think that only actual hitting counts as abuse and his more recent arguments don't is a big red flag.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

With the way he seems focused on damages I'd guess he stopped hitting her and maybe moved on to punching holes in the walls and/or throwing poo poo around.

Yeah this too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Wickerman posted:

quote:

Things were fine in our new place for a few months but recently we have had a few spats.

quote:

My fear is that they will be the same guys who came out because of our spat last week. And although they didn't arrest anyone, they made me leave for the night. I am scared they will remember me or have that logged somewhere.

Protip: Substitute "violent tantrum," "fight with a strong threat of violence", or "incident of emotional abuse" for "spat" to find out what really happened. Dude's still abusing her, and admits he's done it as recently as last week.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Sepherothic posted:

http://mcmansionhell.tumblr.com/

This whole tumblr is an amazing collection BWM McMansions that will fall apart in a decade. Trashy taste is BWM.

this rules

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real, that dude plays the victim in every single post. He's certainly not offering a balanced view on the issue.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VendaGoat posted:

We need a spectrum definition for this thread of Ultra-BWM to Ultra-GWM and all the minutia in between.

Way too subtle, VendaGoat.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

We need a spectrum definition for this thread of Ultra-BWM to Ultra-GWM and all the minutia in between.

The plural is 'minutiae'

:goonsay:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The fact that he says that she's just jumpy is a pretty clear indicator he's currently abusive. "Oh, this person that I've hit before tends to flinch when I get loud and angry, she's just jumpy." Even if he had never hit her, the way he talks about her reactions is emotionally abusive.

Good for her, that exit was smooth as hell.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

NancyPants posted:

The fact that he says that she's just jumpy is a pretty clear indicator he's currently abusive. "Oh, this person that I've hit before tends to flinch when I get loud and angry, she's just jumpy." Even if he had never hit her, the way he talks about her reactions is emotionally abusive.

I hope the top comment is telling him he deserves it and is a piece of poo poo

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Wickerman posted:

I hope the top comment is telling him he deserves it and is a piece of poo poo

Pretty much - this time reddit is being sane.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

NancyPants posted:

Maybe she just really hates high fives.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wow, if you enjoyed last year's Girl Who Can't Be Named In BFC thread, there's a great spiritual successor that just got transferred from E/N to BFC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786372

Poor guy knocked up his poor, unstable girlfriend. They've already covered spermjacking, abortions, and welfare fraud but it's still got a lot of potential to get even crazier.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I dunno he seems kind of normal at the moment, although she seems like a piece of work. Althooough........... maybe its time to see what exciting lines are in their budget. I do not expect candles or star wars but I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope they breed miniature horses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I read somewhere that living poor for a long time completely changes your mentality in regards to money, and that 'saving it for a rainy day' is one of those things that just won't make the cut if you ever get a windfall because you're locked into the idea that every cent you get must be spent NOW NOW NOW to survive the next day.

This is 100% true. It took me two years after finally getting a decent job to accept that I can actually use my health insurance when I need to, and put money in the bank for later without risking losing it.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Sepherothic posted:

http://mcmansionhell.tumblr.com/

This whole tumblr is an amazing collection BWM McMansions that will fall apart in a decade. Trashy taste is BWM.

It's an old site http://ryanhomesnightmare.com/ryan_emails.html but it does Ryan Homes and NVR the justice it deserves. My realtor when I bought a home asked what we were looking for. He pinpointed some neighborhoods including two Ryan neighborhoods. I said hell no not interested, he insisted we at least take a look. He then left me with one of their sales managers which was a very minimal conversation. The sales manager could tell that I wasn't buying his bullshit. At the end of the tour I reamed out our realtor so bad he called later to apologize. I then sent him the site. We ended up like I wanted, buying a custom home from a local prominent home builder. 11 years old and not a single issue (like a home should be).

Also, I bought a home gently caress me right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DEMAG posted:

It's an old site http://ryanhomesnightmare.com/ryan_emails.html but it does Ryan Homes and NVR the justice it deserves. My realtor when I bought a home asked what we were looking for. He pinpointed some neighborhoods including two Ryan neighborhoods. I said hell no not interested, he insisted we at least take a look. He then left me with one of their sales managers which was a very minimal conversation. The sales manager could tell that I wasn't buying his bullshit. At the end of the tour I reamed out our realtor so bad he called later to apologize. I then sent him the site. We ended up like I wanted, buying a custom home from a local prominent home builder. 11 years old and not a single issue (like a home should be).

Also, I bought a home gently caress me right?

My parents had a Ryan home. Holy loving hell that was a shitbox. Our pipes busted twice over the Christmas holiday (when we were away). This is in Georgia - where yes, it can freeze, but you have to go out of your way to create a plumbing system that is so uninsulated as to burst in 20 degree weather.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just overheard a BWM from a friend of ours. For the record- we really like our friend and his wife. They're lovely people. Recently they've had to re-structure their finances... and nearly declare bankruptcy. They were steps away from a consumer proposal. It was just a lifetime of silly, unnecessary spending that put them into this mess. We tried our best to help them find the best solution for their financial woes, and for several months it appeared that their finances were finally in order.

... And after months of fear of losing everything and dealing with creditors and doing all sorts of running around to un-gently caress their finances, he just told us that his wife is considering cosmetic/plastic surgery that'll cost them $10,000 upward. In his words, "I'm okay with it if it makes her happy, and as long as she's doing it for herself, not me."

:psyduck:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 16, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
You can fix ignorant. You can't fix stupid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The counter-argument are boobs.

NancyPants posted:

It could be a tummy tuck.

:sigh: I tried.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

The counter-argument are boobs.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

NancyPants posted:

Ding ding ding!

And once we saw how dead-set they were on it we basically went

It really pains me to see people we like make really BWM decisions. :(

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 16, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Is a tummy tuck really 10k? You can get a boob job, botox, and butt implants for that amount.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just fly to Brazil and get it all done over a weekend for less than $10k
Cosmetic surgery tourism ahoy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is a tummy tuck really 10k? You can get a boob job, botox, and butt implants for that amount.

Google says:

"The typical cost of a Tummy Tuck ranges between $6,000 up to $12,000. The cost can vary depending on the area in which you live, the experience and skill of the surgeon, and the amount of reconstruction that needs to be done."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

From a real doctor? That seems very, very cheap.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

From a real doctor? That seems very, very cheap.

quote:

The average cost of breast augmentation surgery is $3,708, according to 2014 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

quote:

[botox] Flat rates are usually somewhere between $300 and $1000, while per-unit rates are usually around $10-15 per unit.

quote:

The average cost of buttock augmentation with fat grafting is $4,077; buttock implants is $4,580 and buttock lift is $4,509, according to 2014 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also now Google's going to think I have body image issues :ohdear:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I've looked into a full body couture from weight loss. 10k is the starting point.

Eh, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Also now Google's going to think I have body image issues :ohdear:

If google gave thought to everything I've looked up, there would be a reality show proposed, a psychologist called, or a prison sentence. Maybe all three.

• Locked thread