Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did you just come into the comic book movie thread to insult everyone that likes superhero stories?

I like superhero stories. Three of the last five movies I saw in theaters were superhero stories. What I don't like is half-assed pretend revolutionary violence that actually supports the status quo.

Give me a radical quasi-pacifist Batman who breaks people out of death row and we're in business. (Or a Superman, better yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The no killing rule is not arbitrary. It's explicitly stated that if the Justice League were to start killing people, the law would have to take them down.

That is extremely stupid. Like Purge-movie stupid.

Like think of what you wrote here for even a few seconds.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Batman gets to a lever where a train is about to run over 5 low-level criminals who are planning to rob your grandma, but he could pull the lever and divert it to only kill Joker who was bound against his will. What does he do?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

People rag on this but I actually think it's kind of elegant. Note that in Batman Begins, Bruce never says "I will not kill," he says "I will not be an executioner." That's actually a pretty important distinction.

I agree to certain extent. He's still culpable for their death because he could have prevented it, but chose not too. He's not actually bound to save them since he's a viligante and not a nurse or doctor bound to Hippocratic oath or the laws that compel to help anyone in need.

I like posting that line because BvS Batman actually pulls this off, but it's not spoken.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

rather than just asking "why is taste?"

I guess it's a good thing I never said that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

e: and BvS Batman is hardly different than the other movie Batmans when it comes to no killing.

quote:

If there are so many of those stories why do you want yet another one?

:haw:

quote:

Batman gets to a lever where a train is about to run over 5 low-level criminals who are planning to rob your grandma, but he could pull the lever and divert it to only kill Joker who was bound against his will. What does he do?

quote:

Batman doesn't kill people, he just doesn't save them.

So he'd just leave probably.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm not the one complaining about him fitting into certain molds. If I was I'd be saying that we should have Adam West style Batman back in the fold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm not the one complaining about him fitting into certain molds. If I was I'd be saying that we should have Adam West style Batman back in the fold.

I know, I'm just being dumb. We absolutely should have that, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I know, I'm just being dumb. We absolutely should have that, though.

Fair enough, sorry for being defensive haha. :hfive:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That is extremely stupid. Like Purge-movie stupid.

Like think of what you wrote here for even a few seconds.

I'm not sure what comics are like since New 52 came out, but pre-New 52 this is a huge part of DC Comics lore. Not just Batman, not just Superman, but every single DC Comics story. Heroes don't kill. Period. That's why comic fans get confused when the heroes kill.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 17, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Electromax posted:

What is grandmas name??

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe they should start.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This is going to seem like a trap question, but SSB, do you care at all about Marvel mowing down bad dudes in every movie? If not, is it because they don't have a no kill rule? Do you not see that as a silly distinction if that is the case?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I guess it's a good thing I never said that.

The only way I can see to read your comment as meaning anything else is if it's some kind of plea for originality, but that suggests that the problem with 20 years of Batman comics is lack of originality rather than its ideological commitment, which I think is secondary if it's true at all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I agree to certain extent. He's still culpable for their death because he could have prevented it, but chose not too. He's not actually bound to save them since he's a viligante and not a nurse or doctor bound to Hippocratic oath or the laws that compel to help anyone in need.

I like posting that line because BvS Batman actually pulls this off, but it's not spoken.

I mean what I'm saying is one can kill somebody without executing them. They're two different things. Batman kills Two-Face in the Dark Knight, but he doesn't execute him.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Electromax posted:

Batman would save them all because he's loving Batman. That's the point of Batman.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Batman would save them all because he's loving Batman. That's the point of Batman.

Is Batman the best of us, the peak of human performance, able to cut the Gordian Knot of moral dilemmas because he's a deeply traumatized man who dresses up as a bat, or are they incidental to each other?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I'm not sure what comics are like since New 52 came out, but pre-New 52 this is a huge part of DC Comics lore. Not just Batman, not just Superman, but every single DC Comics story. Heroes don't kill. Period.

I didn't say anything about comics lore. I'm talking about stupidity. What you are saying is deeply stupid.

Like POTUS is talking to this alien invasion force, demigods from olympus, and he's like "all crime is legal for you because you are strong. But there's a catch: all forms of killing, including justifiable homicides, are reclassified as capital 1 murder. Also it's implicit that you shouldnt rape anyone. Good luck!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman's just a dude.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I got some bad news for you buddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ3aiM8K6D0

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Batman's just a dude.

Actually he's a fictional character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzmxUXvE3m4

Sorry, I mostly took your post as an excuse to post Ben talking about fictional characters within Batchat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I wasn't describing "my batman" I was describing the Batman presented to us from over 20 years of comic book/animated media. .

What you're talking about is editorial fiat. The continuity versus story thing.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Batman could probably derail the train with a bat-bomb.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Batman could probably derail the train with a bat-bomb.

A single well placed batarang.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think that either of "powerful because of his human foibles" or "powerful in spite of his human foibles" are inherently silly ideas, mind, I'm just curious which one fuels the reverential attitude that Batman can do anything, because it says a lot about the worldview being expressed. Particularly in any context where he's compared to Superman.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MacheteZombie posted:

This is going to seem like a trap question, but SSB, do you care at all about Marvel mowing down bad dudes in every movie? If not, is it because they don't have a no kill rule? Do you not see that as a silly distinction if that is the case?

That is indeed my opinion and no I do not see it as a silly distinction, because it does not directly contradict 20 years of established lore. In fact one of the reasons I gravitated towards DC over Marvel as a kid was because the no kill thing made them seem more like heroes. Marvel would always seem to strive for a kind of gritty realism, whereas DC felt more like... idealistic optimism? I guess? Like drat, I don't think there's anything in DC's library that can match up with some of Punisher's super R-rated adventures.

Also pointing out that the no kill thing wasn't just in comics, it was also in the animated universe. My ultimate point is that a Batman that doesn't kill is just a more compelling character than a Batman that kills. People that love and read the comics and watched the shows know this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This Batman never killed before but after 20+ years of poo poo piling up no matter what... he's had enough.

Until Superman shows up to show him the way.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Are people arguing that Batman doesn't have a no kill rule, or that it shouldn't matter in a new interpretation?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

My ultimate point is that a Batman that doesn't kill is just a more compelling character than a Batman that kills.

Batman Begins contriving some stupid way to get Ras out of the train wouldn't have changed the level of "compelling" about the character at all.

Same with any of the other Nolan movies
Same with Batman '89
Same with Affleck's Batman, widely considered to be the best part of BvS

Not sure this statement holds up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was anyone ever even accidentally killed by Adam West Batman? I don't think so but I've only really have memory of the movie at this point.

Vintersorg posted:

This Batman never killed before but after 20+ years of poo poo piling up no matter what... he's had enough.

Until Superman shows up to show him the way.

He kills even more people after that and presumably will continue to.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mortanis posted:

Are people arguing that Batman doesn't have a no kill rule, or that it shouldn't matter in a new interpretation?

The no-killing rule was invented for Robin, because Robin is a literal child.

When you elevate that to the level of an actual law, you are a crazyperson.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

He kills even more people after that and presumably will continue to.

Who does he flat out kill?

Mortanis posted:

The baggage of a no kill rule shouldn't apply to a new interpretation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Who does he flat out kill?

Basically every gangster after he hears the word "Martha"?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mortanis posted:

That he can or can't have a no kill rule depending on the kind of story the filmmakers want to tell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Basically every gangster after he hears the word "Martha"?

He hurts them badly

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Should the bad guys just fall down and do that thing from video games where they fade away?

I could see how he may have killed the guy with the grenade but he either eats it or possibly deflects it somewhere else.

I dont know though - I am not Batman. Perhaps when you are - you'd do it differently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

He hurts them badly

He strafes them with a gatling gun then machine guns the dude with the flamethrower (or hits the tank or something, I forgot how that guy dies exactly)!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

RBA Starblade posted:

Was anyone ever even accidentally killed by Adam West Batman? I don't think so but I've only really have memory of the movie at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM&t=181s

When you argue this garbage about Batman killing being "less compelling" you end up saying that George Clooney's Batman is the most compelling of them all.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Okay, making sure. Felt like some people were denying a no kill rule and it's powered a lot of the big plots of Batman over the last two decades.

No, they shouldn't be beholden to it during a new interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only way I can see to read your comment as meaning anything else is if it's some kind of plea for originality, but that suggests that the problem with 20 years of Batman comics is lack of originality rather than its ideological commitment, which I think is secondary if it's true at all.

This is what I was getting at:

MacheteZombie posted:

The baggage of a no kill rule shouldn't apply to a new interpretation.

• Locked thread