Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Junior G-man posted:

I think it's because she's smart enough not to go Tiffany shopping in the middle of an election campaign that she's a very visible part of.

This isn't a normal election though - the people Trump wants at the polls are those that would get a vicarious thrill reading about Ivanka wasting a million dollars on some frivolous purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, why is the LA daily tracker such poo poo?

As mentioned before they track the same sample over time. You can see how this poll will always be close because anyone who has ever considered supporting Trump at any point is likely looking for any reason at all not to vote Hillary. Basically, if Hillary has a lead at any point in this poll, Trump is currently majorly loving up because the natural state of this poll should be a slight Trump lead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the trackers have been more favorable towards Trump than traditional polls. Nate had an article about it, argued that since even the trackers were showing C+5, the bump is real.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

nachos posted:

As mentioned before they track the same sample over time. You can see how this poll will always be close because anyone who has ever considered supporting Trump at any point is likely looking for any reason at all not to vote Hillary. Basically, if Hillary has a lead at any point in this poll, Trump is currently majorly loving up because the natural state of this poll should be a slight Trump lead.

Isn't Daybreak also the poll where they use self-reporting to figure out who voted D and R in 2012? This will :siren: skew :siren: the sample towards people who voted R, because people "forget" voting for the loser.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

Isn't Daybreak also the poll where they use self-reporting to figure out who voted D and R in 2012? This will :siren: skew :siren: the sample towards people who voted R, because people "forget" voting for the loser.

Yeah they also weight by past vote. It's a weird poll, and probably a really bad one too.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

theflyingorc posted:

supposed to be "bless your heart", but yeah

Bless you for clearing that up for us all, sweetheart. I would have never known the proper way its supposed to be!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's not an awful poll but you have to remember the things they do weirdly when interpreting it. It's useful for comparing against itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

It's not an awful poll but you have to remember the things they do weirdly when interpreting it. It's useful for comparing against itself.

I mean we won't know what's a bad poll and what's a good one until November. But it is waaaaay out of line with all other polling. Maybe all the other polls are wrong.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Bless you for clearing that up for us all, sweetheart. I would have never known the proper way its supposed to be!

I'll be praying for you.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Antti posted:

quote:

Results are weighted to match demographic characteristics, such as race and gender, from the U.S. Census Current Population Survey and aligned to the 2012 presidential election outcome using self-reported vote in that election.

Yes and I don't understand what the bolded means

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Bless your heart" is southern code for "gently caress you, and".

You preface your sentences with it the same way people preface their sentences with "I'm not racist, but".

Language is neat.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why do these Republicans keep us from having a public option?! :argh: Oh...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antti posted:

I understand why using self-reported vote results is wrong, but how is one supposed to do it? Just demographics? I guess likely voter screens asking whether someone has voted in the last election have similar problems, too...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The general thrust of that article is that Dems would be happy to pass a public option, except that Republicans control Congress and are almost certain to retain control of the House after the election, so I'm not sure what point you're making here :shrug:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Can we change the thread title now? I'm a horrible pessimist who assumes the worst about everything , and I can't think of a single plausible scenario where he comes back from this and gets into power.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

OddObserver posted:

I understand why using self-reported vote results is wrong, but how is one supposed to do it? Just demographics? I guess likely voter screens asking whether someone has voted in the last election have similar problems, too...

Just asking "What party do you identify the most with right now?" or something more generic like that is better than asking who you voted for four years ago.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Can the thread title be a video of Tim Kaine telling reporters to try the wonders of an Iowa State Fair pork chop?

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Phone posted:

"Bless your heart" is southern code for "gently caress you, and".

Eh, where I've lived in the south, it's always meant more as "Wow, you're an idiot/naive/gullible, and..." more than "gently caress you".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/766291489718542336

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One lesson I hope people learn from the 2016 election is that "fair and balanced" media does not equal "honest" media. Sometimes the truth isn't fair or balanced. Sometimes when you show "both sides" of an issue, one side is just bullshit.

But even if I hope people learn that, I'm not that optimistic.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DaveWoo posted:

The general thrust of that article is that Dems would be happy to pass a public option, except that Republicans control Congress and are almost certain to retain control of the House after the election, so I'm not sure what point you're making here :shrug:

You're going to win neither the house nor senate without supporting it. And only one out of the eleven Democrats running this year running for contested seats in the senate supports the public option. I'm glad Trump is making this party a haven for closeted conservatives.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Sub Par posted:

Eh, where I've lived in the south, it's always meant more as "Wow, you're an idiot/naive/gullible, and..." more than "gently caress you".

Growing up, I always thought it was something grownups say when you're 3 years old, trying as hard as you can to do something, and failing at it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump's ad buy is really starting to raise the question of what exactly is he spending the 100+ million he raised so far on?

Is he just going to try and dump all of his money into ads in October? Does he have some insanely high burn rate on infrastructure and staff?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

People have already highlighted the fact that 48% of people supposedly get their news from InfoWars and that conclusion section, but I feel like I have to give a call out to the suggestions section which recommended that Hillary get a body double for climbing stairs.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Can we change the thread title now? I'm a horrible pessimist who assumes the worst about everything , and I can't think of a single plausible scenario where he comes back from this and gets into power.

It's actually still appropriate if you think of him saying that in deadpan seriousness to a room of Republican donors.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tim Kaine is the most Mormon, Midwestern, Mr. Rogers person I've seen that is neither Mormon, Midwestern, nor Mr. Rogers.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's ad buy is really starting to raise the question of what exactly is he spending the 100+ million he raised so far on?

Is he just going to try and dump all of his money into ads in October? Does he have some insanely high burn rate on infrastructure and staff?

It'll probably turn into a Trumpster's Millions situation near the end, like using a priceless stamp to send a tweet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I honestly think he thinks he can keep whatever's left over at the end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that question has been out there.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pretty sure trump campaign is inspired by the producers.

He's going to make more with a flop than a hit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

He has an exceptional performance in debates not through intelligent answers but managing to start some narrative or create some gaff so bad that he is about to leverage it into a shift in polling just enough to pull off a close victory.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rassle posted:

Growing up, I always thought it was something grownups say when you're 3 years old, trying as hard as you can to do something, and failing at it.

yeah, "bless your heart" is more like "well aren't you special" with all the condecension that implies when you say it to an adult rather than a child

edrith posted:

I'm checking out their website and drat, girlfriend is budget shopping. I have a couple pieces of jewelry of comparable price and I barely make a living wage. I know she probably just likes the style but I like to think this is another indication that the Trumps don't actually have that much money.

ivanka's not dumb, and she's not some materialist stereotype. also she's married and she and her husband are independently wealthy. i wouldn't read too much into it

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I was doing some serious driving lately, and found a station playing Glen Beck. That dude is so goddamn salty about Trumpism it's hilarious. I recommend it for some good schadenfreude.

Yassssss. It's amazing. I don't even know what to do with myself when Glenn Beck, noted lunatic, is a voice of reason. WTF, even.

See also: Matt Walsh. He's been super this-dude's-not-a-real-Christian for months, now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hell Yeah

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/766296423650455552

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is awesome. I wonder if that Mother Jones article gave them enough push to do something about it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I wouldn't be surprised if most of that goes toward staff salaries, and we find out his advisors (and family) are being paid absurdly high salaries

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

"We need to stop these government death camps from taking the free prison market over" - GOP, probably

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Please follow through, please follow through, please follow through...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Maybe that stuff about him setting up to create his own media group are right and he's sitting on the money to fund a post-loss pet project like that. I'm sure there's some scammy way to do it.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

This is a loving good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All private prisons, as in, killing the industry? Or is this just at the federal level and we'll still have state-sanctioned hellholes?

• Locked thread