Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Xinder posted:

Am I an outlier for enjoying Spider-Verse? I've heard mostly negative things about it but I really enjoyed it. It was a really fun bit of fanservice bringing back all the weird old alternate spideys. It wasn't a particularly good story but it was fun and that's what matters to me.

I haven't even dipped into it yet. It seems like it could be cool, but I loathe the Morlun character with a passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

I haven't even dipped into it yet. It seems like it could be cool, but I loathe the Morlun character with a passion.

There are some good parts, but they're very much on the periphery of the overall story, mainly the ones really focusing on the alternate Spider-Men interacting, rather then the main plot (which has plot holes large enough to drive a Spider-Mobile through.

But yeah, if you hate Morlun Spider-Verse (at least the main plot) is not for you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-verse is like Secret Wars in that it's very easy to ignore the dreadful main book and enjoy the wacky side one-shots and limited series.

Spider-Punk was one of the coolest things I've read in recent years, even though it was just a few pages long.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-verse is like Secret Wars in that it's very easy to ignore the dreadful main book and enjoy the wacky side one-shots and limited series.

Yeah, the side stuff was very fun. I read the main plot as a dumb excuse to do all the weird fanservicey fun stuff which is probably why I was able to wring so much enjoyment from it anyway. Because the main book was pretty awful from a narrative perspective, and I won't defend that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Morlun is just so awful, the main storyline is crap as everyone has said. I wish they had used something like the multiverse of Electros in Web-Warriors or anything else more fun and clever than Morlun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tato posted:

Morlun is just so awful, the main storyline is crap as everyone has said. I wish they had used something like the multiverse of Electros in Web-Warriors or anything else more fun and clever than Morlun.

Fun and clever isn't what Dan Slott does.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I used to like about Spider-Man was his concept not being diluted by so many other derivative characters or a "Spider-Family". So many Super people, Flashes, Green Lanterns, etc. Now it seems like every character has their own imitators or legacy characters.

So even if Slott was incredible I'm not looking forward to that storyline as I power through Amazing on Marvel Unlimited.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

Lobok posted:

One thing I used to like about Spider-Man was his concept not being diluted by so many other derivative characters or a "Spider-Family". So many Super people, Flashes, Green Lanterns, etc. Now it seems like every character has their own imitators or legacy characters.

So even if Slott was incredible I'm not looking forward to that storyline as I power through Amazing on Marvel Unlimited.

Not sure if you are referencing Silk and Spider-woman but...

both are pretty quality books though, better than what I've read of Amazing. Spidey is pretty fun also.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

I used to feel that way, but Spider-Man is such a fluid concept that you can make so many variations of the character without losing what we love about the original. The Spider-Verse tie ins do a great job of showing it. The main Spider Verse story was just the bone that all the meat was attached to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

It's not really Slott's fault there. We've been bombarded with Spider-Families since Venom and the Clone Saga.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yost's movie projects are all wrapping up, right? think we got a chance to complete the Spider-Family and get some Scarlet Spider action once the Clone Re-Saga ends?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yost's movie projects are all wrapping up, right? think we got a chance to complete the Spider-Family and get some Scarlet Spider action once the Clone Re-Saga ends?

I wish but probably not, it just didn't sell well enough. :smith:

I really just want some sort of resolution to Aracely, even if it's just Nova going "oh, hey, I just got off the phone with my friends the New Warriors who all retired to a farm in Iowa to plant tomatoes." It's depressing having the last time you see the character being wrecked by Morlun and then Kaine never even acknowledges it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Hey there was that panel of Miles and the cartoon Spider-Men driving up the side of a building in a talking Spider-Mobile along with a Spider-cowboy on a Spider-Horse (complete with mask). But then again, they immediately cut back to the 'real' story.

But in all seriousness, Spider-Man/Human Torch was amazing, and it breaks my heart that the guy who wrote that has fallen so far.

ImpAtom posted:

I really just want some sort of resolution to Aracely, even if it's just Nova going "oh, hey, I just got off the phone with my friends the New Warriors who all retired to a farm in Iowa to plant tomatoes." It's depressing having the last time you see the character being wrecked by Morlun and then Kaine never even acknowledges it.
That wouldn't make her safe from getting wheeled out as a Shocking Death by a lazy writer down the line.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really Slott's fault there. We've been bombarded with Spider-Families since Venom and the Clone Saga.

Not really assigning blame. Just worried about the quality of the storylines with this particular author now that it's happened again. I've heard some of the characters in their own books are quite good (and I even liked the most recent Kaine Scarlet Spider books) but it's always going to bug me a bit that Spider-Man is just not nearly as unique anymore. The Spider-Family proliferated over the last few years.

Anyway, that's just me being a(n old?) crank.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lurdiak posted:

It's odd, because I loved his She-Hulk stuff. It's the same guy!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Spider-verse was a really great ride and all the different Spiders playing off each other was fantastic. I even liked the Uncle Ben spider, as ham-fisted and telegraphed as it was. Usually an alternate universe version of a hero is evil or fairly detached from the original. All these spiders, unique and special, were still, at their core, cut from the same cloth (great power/etc).

The problem, like others said, was the antagonist. I might have been fine if it was just Morlun but his whole drat family was draining.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, it ran for two years unlike most comics that end in a year or even just half a year, they're bringing back ANGR (though that's probably just because agents of shield) it's not a total financial error to bring Kaine back for a solo run to finally get Aracely's story, right? :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

But in all seriousness, Spider-Man/Human Torch was amazing, and it breaks my heart that the guy who wrote that has fallen so far.

I don't consider pre-2007 Dan Slott to be the same person as current Dan Slott.

Red posted:

It's odd, because I loved his She-Hulk stuff. It's the same guy!

Is it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I don't consider pre-2007 Dan Slott to be the same person as current Dan Slott.

Is it?

I think the clue is actually in Superior Spider-Man - clearly the real Dan Slott's mind was swapped with another, shittier writer. He even wrote how he did it into the comic, the fiend!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lobok posted:

Not really assigning blame. Just worried about the quality of the storylines with this particular author now that it's happened again. I've heard some of the characters in their own books are quite good (and I even liked the most recent Kaine Scarlet Spider books) but it's always going to bug me a bit that Spider-Man is just not nearly as unique anymore. The Spider-Family proliferated over the last few years.

Anyway, that's just me being a(n old?) crank.

Lobok, even back on pnmb you were a crank! Just always so negative!

The spider-family is awesome.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do actually have fun reading comics, I swear it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

I do actually have fun reading comics, I swear it!

Then you're clearly doing it wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of having fun reading comics, I forgot how good Waid's Daredevil run was. I picked up the monthlies way back when it started but got out of comics for a while. Thanks to MU I'm catching up on it and every issue seems better than the last, especially when my boy Marcos Martin is drawing. I *loved* that dude on Amazing.

I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Cage comics to read with his series coming out only next month. Looks like it's mostly just his time as an Avenger. Thought for sure they would have the classic Heroes for Hire available.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Speaking of having fun reading comics, I forgot how good Waid's Daredevil run was. I picked up the monthlies way back when it started but got out of comics for a while. Thanks to MU I'm catching up on it and every issue seems better than the last, especially when my boy Marcos Martin is drawing. I *loved* that dude on Amazing.

I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Cage comics to read with his series coming out only next month. Looks like it's mostly just his time as an Avenger. Thought for sure they would have the classic Heroes for Hire available.

They recently added some 90's Heroes for Hire series that he's in, no idea if it's any good. I bet they'll add more, the "New this week" section always has at least a dozen or so books from the back catalog.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Lobok posted:

They have most of Cage's original 70s stuff and all of the 90's cage series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

They have most of Cage's original 70s stuff and all of the 90's cage series.

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His book was called Power Man.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, I heard there was a RYV ongoing coming soon. Is there anything else featuring that Spiderfamily specifically aside from the RYV miniseries from Secret Wars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pureauthor posted:

So, I heard there was a RYV ongoing coming soon. Is there anything else featuring that Spiderfamily specifically aside from the RYV miniseries from Secret Wars?

The recent ASM arc hinted that Peter and MJ vaguely remember the events of the mini but that is all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

The recent ASM arc hinted that Peter and MJ vaguely remember the events of the mini but that is all.

Which makes no sense, since we know 616 Peter was on the life raft.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which makes no sense, since we know 616 Peter was on the life raft.

Maybe since Peter was hanging out with the cool kid who gave him a pocket cheeseburger Molecule Man threw in a little somethin'-somethin'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why would 616 Peter remember anything that had to do with RYV Peter?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well when Doomworld exploded, Richards had to put everyone back together afterwards using whatever bits were left

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Peter has a little bag of sand in his head where his marriage used to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Newspaper Spider-Man is in the middle of a thrilling storyline.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sunday is usually the bigger recap comic, right? Can the Mystery Puncher strike a fourth time? :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I hate Newspaper Spider-Man's font so god-damned much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its hand lettered you philistine!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

What's the 70s stuff under? That's what I'm most interested in but all I can find is #1 of Luke Cage, Hero for Hire. His origin story from '72.

His 90s series titled "Cage" I just saw on there for the first time. Has it been on there for a while?That Nightcrawler site that scrapes MU doesn't have that listed yet.

I think "Cage" was a MAX series, and so won't ever pop up on Unlimited, but I also heard it traded in a lot of uncomfortable stereotypes, so maybe it's best to let it sit in the dustbin of continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SynthOrange posted:

Its hand lettered you philistine!

Then that letterer should be fired.

• Locked thread