Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Generational analysis is tedious and makes me want to blow my brains out.

Agreed, I'd rather want to blow my brains out at the prospect of a Trump presidency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

2nd half of GenX isn't so bad IIRC, so it won't be that long. At the very least whites are losing their majority fast enough that we probably won't actually have to wait until the last GenXer kicks it

As somebody who straddles the line between X and Millennial (1979 represent, we had a song about us in the 90s!) I've watched my white peers get consistently worse as we've worked our way through our 30s. Siblings/cousins, old high-school/college friends, and co-workers who have gotten consistently more conservative with each passing year. Annecdotal, I'm sure, in my experience as people get more integrated into the status quo, and have more at stake in the current system, they inevitably go from supporting UBI to whining about public employee unions. Or they were horrified by Trayvon Martin but they've since come around to All Lives Matter and "what about black on black crime."

This also scares me about demographic shift. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like as more people are brought into the cultural mainstream, they're inherently pushed towards embracing it in all its flaws and plugging their ears when people call out systemic flaws. I hope this is just cynicism, but I'm honestly afraid that the demographic shift will be more about expanding who is "white" (albeit, maybe not using the same word) and less about rooting out racism and nationalism.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I just finished a stint registering voters at my local library in Colorado.

I'm happy to report that women and minorities passing by mostly said "hell yes I'm registered" or "Absolutely!" and "Thank you for doing this" with one and only one volunteering the information that she planned to vote for a third party. White men were more of a mixed bag with many announcements that they would vote third party and many assertions that they refused to vote this year as there were "no good choices."

The body language differences were notable. Everyone tended to radiate "I'm not buying leave me alone" when I approached them clipboard in hand. But women and minorities would make eye contact and smile before moving on after they realized it was voter registration. White guys had a range between happy/smiling and staring at their feet and pulling their heads in/hunching their shoulders a little bit more as they picked up their pace after being asked if they were registered.

Nobody publicly declared an intention to vote for Hillary. One person declared for Stein. About a dozen declared for Johnson. Nobody declared for Trump but two of the fattest older white guys attempted to start discussions about how crooked Hillary is while we explained that we were just registering people and that we were not getting into partisan debates right now.

I dearly wish I'd thought to tell them that they'd just have to vote their conscious while moving them along.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuarkJets posted:

The only GenX presidential candidates that we saw this year were all GOPers. Even in my local district, all of the left-leaning city/county/state positions are either Boomers or Millenials. GenXers are only appearing on the conservative tickets, as far as I can see.

My theory is that Reaganism did a serious number on GenX and pushed that generation further to the right than average, and the leftists in that generation are mostly introspective weirdos who have already surrendered the fight (this philosophy embodies the culture that GenXers developed throughout the 90s).

So yes, I agree with Epic High Five: GenX is just as bad as the boomers

The determining factor with Gen X is whether they were successful enough to evade the crash, or not. The younger half of the Gen X crowd either got hit by the crash or had friends who did, so they tend to be a lot more left wing (I think, if someone has statistics on this I'll admit I'm wrong). The older half general ly didn't (and that's the crowd you're talking about it who are all Republican s now).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

What's your name?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Studies have shown that Boomers, despite being the reason everything is burned down, are still more likely to vote for liberal policies than their children, who basically have never been shown to support anything to the left of Reagan ever, as a bloc at least. I guess it makes sense when union life is something you don't see as communism and when Ike is your standard for Republican. Shame about all that being a dinghy of goodness being tossed about atop a sea of Bad Opinions About Race

The late Xers aren't as bad but if they were going to make any difference in damping down the extreme conservative bent of their generation at all, they would've done so already.

And as has been pointed out, the GenXers seem to be getting more conservative in response to everything going on at the moment and not less.

So are the Boomers of course but they're also becoming less and less relevant

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The best part of generation line discussion is the realization that everything is gonna be so much better in a couple decades when all these raging racist assholes have died of heart disease.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GalacticAcid posted:

It's so dumb. No better than complaining about KIDS TODAY and the like.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Generations are my favorite pseudo science, barely edging out phrenology.

The ability to create a clear out group to blame problems on is just amazing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xae posted:

Generations are my favorite pseudo science, barely edging out phrenology.

The ability to create a clear out group to blame problems on is just amazing.

A thing making you mad doesn't make it pseudoscience, bro.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Millenials will be objectively better than the Boomers or GenXers, not because white people are getting nicer but because there will be less whites period.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

McAlister posted:

I just finished a stint registering voters at my local library in Colorado.
[edited for brevity]

I dearly wish I'd thought to tell them that they'd just have to vote their conscious while moving them along.

When I would register people and they started bitching about Obama I would just say "great, here's your chance to register to vote against him." I found that having people at the table registering made other people more likely to stop and do it themselves. Since I was either on a college campus or in inner city districts, I felt the most important thing was to get as many people signed up as possible no matter the individual's stance.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What's your name?

Uh you can PM me I guess, but if you think you know me personally it would be easy to confirm in my post history so you can probably just text me or something.

Dick Trauma posted:

N+1 had a great essay on it about a year ago - link here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

HorseRenoir posted:

Millenials will be objectively better than the Boomers or GenXers, not because white people are getting nicer but because there will be less of them period.

Sorry for double post but yeah that's the real difference. Millennials are just more diverse.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It seems like people going out of their way to be ever more exclusionary, and it's a dumb reason to pigeonhole millions of people as the enemy and deserving of death.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

The best part of generation line discussion is the realization that everything is gonna be so much better in a couple decades when all these raging racist assholes have died of heart disease.

yeah, resource scarcity and environmental degradation isn't gonna affect things at all!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

It seems like people going out of their way to be ever more exclusionary, and it's a dumb reason to pigeonhole millions of people as the enemy and deserving of death.

Maybe people should stop voting for the racists if they don't want to be mocked?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

fishmech posted:

A thing making you mad doesn't make it pseudoscience, bro.

Absolutely. It's everything else about generational analysis that makes it pseudoscience

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think, "people born within a certain ~20 year period tend to think in a similar way to one another" is particularly controversial. Packing it up and selling it as team sports is just a necessary evil.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

fishmech posted:

Maybe people should stop voting for the racists if they don't want to be mocked?

I hope you don't suffocate under that giant blanket. :rolleyes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope you don't suffocate under that giant blanket. :rolleyes:

You can go ahead and melt down about how old you are elsewhere.

SSNeoman posted:

Absolutely. It's everything else about generational analysis that makes it pseudoscience

Actually, they don't . Sorry that you apparently are angry that your fellow-aged cohort are dicks?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

It's really creepy in a manchildy way for goons to openly fantasize about how awesome life is gonna be when their parents are dead

Oh, no, I just meant all the *other* boomers

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think it is possible to make very broad cohort generalizations, but these should both be taken with a grain of salt and should be understood to be generalizations. The problem is not literally every human American born between years X and Y, it is some of the larger emergent patterns of behavior from that group, especially with regard to loving over the youth.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

McAlister posted:

Nobody publicly declared an intention to vote for Hillary. One person declared for Stein. About a dozen declared for Johnson. Nobody declared for Trump but two of the fattest older white guys attempted to start discussions about how crooked Hillary is while we explained that we were just registering people and that we were not getting into partisan debates right now.

IME declaring for Hillary in public is more liable to get you jumped by a wackadoo so this sounds about right.

PS. You're doing good work.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
USPOL August: New 28th Amendment - Not Voting for Trump is a felony

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't wish they were dead, I wish they'd vote differently. You can put this in the mouth of any generation about any other generation if it makes you feel better

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

It's almost as stupid as the inane comments of; black people are like this, white people are like that, women always do this thing, and men are always like that.

It's not like they aren't useful social categories to impart meaning and distinction to an otherwise entirely impossible to understand world, it's the sweeping facepalm inducing statement like: Well women sure LOVE their shoes and doing the dishes, almost as much as black people like fried chicken and white people are terrible dancers, amirite, amirite? It's the moronic core which gives rise to the politics of stupidity.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

:same:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think it is possible to make very broad cohort generalizations, but these should both be taken with a grain of salt and should be understood to be generalizations. The problem is not literally every human American born between years X and Y, it is some of the larger emergent patterns of behavior from that group, especially with regard to loving over the youth.

I agree. I just forgot I was responding to fishmech. :buddy:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm right wing now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

his hired what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nessus posted:

It's like how it doesn't matter how each individual bird in a flock flies, what matters is where the flock as a whole is going.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Guccifer 2.0 has decided to weigh in on corrupt politicians in central Florida as well. Just to be safe, you might want to vote for the non-corrupt politicians John Mica (incumbent, R-FL 7th), Thuy Lowe (R-FL 10th), David Jolly (incumbent, R-FL 13th), whichever Republican runs in the 18th, and Carlos Curbelo (incumbent, R-FL 26th).

Why these districts, you might ask? Well, it is worth noting that these districts just so happen to be the only Florida districts that Cook suggests will be competitive (i.e. anything other than Solid R or Solid D). It's just too bad that Democrats just so happen to be corrupt in trying to fix the results of every one of these competitive districts, isn't it? Such a shame they had to stoop to this! :ussr:

Kinda wish there was a :russia: with Putin now

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

fishmech posted:

It's like how it doesn't matter how each individual bird in a flock flies, what matters is where the flock as a whole is going.

fishmech posted:

Actually, they don't . Sorry that you apparently are angry that your fellow-aged cohort are dicks?

lmao are u an old?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm right wing now.

OBAMA I AM FORCING YOU OUT OF HERE....by allowing you to finish your term normally.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xrunner posted:

As somebody who straddles the line between X and Millennial (1979 represent, we had a song about us in the 90s!) I've watched my white peers get consistently worse as we've worked our way through our 30s. Siblings/cousins, old high-school/college friends, and co-workers who have gotten consistently more conservative with each passing year. Annecdotal, I'm sure, in my experience as people get more integrated into the status quo, and have more at stake in the current system, they inevitably go from supporting UBI to whining about public employee unions. Or they were horrified by Trayvon Martin but they've since come around to All Lives Matter and "what about black on black crime."

This also scares me about demographic shift. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like as more people are brought into the cultural mainstream, they're inherently pushed towards embracing it in all its flaws and plugging their ears when people call out systemic flaws. I hope this is just cynicism, but I'm honestly afraid that the demographic shift will be more about expanding who is "white" (albeit, maybe not using the same word) and less about rooting out racism and nationalism.

I was born in '80 and the friends I have kept contact with are more liberal than they used to be, I think it may be partly because it's fashionable to be woke as gently caress these days. My different experience could, of course, be that I only stayed in contact with people who were already on my wavelength. Mostly my bros are all about universal single-payer healthcare, increased market regulation, privacy rights, civil rights in general, and demilitarizing our police. Demographically I know this is well outside the mainstream.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's really creepy in a manchildy way for goons to openly fantasize about how awesome life is gonna be when their parents are dead

Oh, no, I just meant all the *other* boomers

my parents aren't boomers lmao how old are you

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

happyhippy posted:

OBAMA I AM FORCING YOU OUT OF HERE....by allowing you to finish your term normally.

Good to see the 22nd Amendment people making their voices heard.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Uh it's perfectly reasonable for your parents to be boomers if you're older than ~23.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Uh it's perfectly reasonable for your parents to be boomers if you're older than ~23.

arent boomers like 70 now, i find it hard to believe 50 year olds would still be having kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Baby Boomers are 1946-1964?
70 year old boomers are literally the oldest boomers.

• Locked thread