Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

zapplez posted:

Serious post, yall better be watching the hip concert tonight on cbc

gently caress that, going to see some good CanCon at the SNFU show tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

JawKnee posted:

gently caress that, going to see some good CanCon at the SNFU show tonight

is chi pig still alive? saw him singing karaoke at funky winkerbeans a few years ago and he looked like he was on deaths door

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

What? I don't think anyone's arguing with the notion that they've contributed to Canadian culture, or that this concert is culturally significant, it's just that it's not a very good concert. I really wish it were. I was expecting better.

I have no basis for comparison. What were their earlier shows like? Was the band more animated? Was he less ragged? Or are they one if those groups that makes good records but can't reproduce it on stage?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not sure, I've never seen them in concert, but I like a lot of their songs I've purchased much more than I've liked the parts of the concert I've seen. Even the songs I like sound pretty brutal. Granted, the guy has cancer, but still...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

large hands posted:

is chi pig still alive? saw him singing karaoke at funky winkerbeans a few years ago and he looked like he was on deaths door

still alive, and put out another album recently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I have no basis for comparison. What were their earlier shows like? Was the band more animated? Was he less ragged? Or are they one if those groups that makes good records but can't reproduce it on stage?

He seemed pretty ragged at the beginning but definitely shaped up. I think those were the best ever versions of "Grace, Too" and "Ahead by a Century"; you could hear Gord literally singing for his life on both of those. Amazing show and anyone who didn't like it is a moron.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Bring back Naked for Jesus

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

He seemed pretty ragged at the beginning but definitely shaped up. I think those were the best ever versions of "Grace, Too" and "Ahead by a Century"; you could hear Gord literally singing for his life on both of those. Amazing show and anyone who didn't like it is a moron.

What I caught of it he was singing like a guy who loved being on stage singing as much as he hated dying of loving brain cancer.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure, I've never seen them in concert, but I like a lot of their songs I've purchased much more than I've liked the parts of the concert I've seen. Even the songs I like sound pretty brutal. Granted, the guy has cancer, but still...

I worked one of their shows back in the mid-2000s, and they were great. That show started me listening to them.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

You just watched live music in an arena on television of course it sounds like canned garbage, Jesus Christ. I saw them in Winnipeg (which is just fine as a city not to mention the leftiest of all Canadian cities, surprised the flak it gets here) and that was the most electric I have ever seen an audience.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

PT6A posted:

Oh, I didn't listen to his speech. His speech was probably garbage, just like this concert. I have it on and I'm trying to watch it but it's just loving brutal. There's been so far one song that I like in theory, and it sounded bad in concert.

And then there was a thunderstorm or something for gently caress knows what reason.

This concert is actively killing what little intelligence I have left, I think I'm gonna listen to something better now.

How the hell do you not understand what an intermission is?

Also, content: I enjoyed watching the concert, although I heard Downie sometimes has pretty long rambles during his live performances and I was hoping for one this time too. Ah well.

gus rules ok fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 21, 2016

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The concert was on TV at the place where I was getting takeout. I glanced up and saw Gord in a hideous white outfit with feathers. Glanced back and saw a screen showing a huge Canadian flag in front of a cheering crowd.

I like how much people have rallied behind a good artist dying of cancer, but don't like how the whole thing has been draped in a flag for some reason.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, they've had intermissions between every 6-8 songs this tour, probably so Gord can go sit down for a minute/have a drink/chill out. You can tell he's just fighting hard not to just fall over some of the time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've done my CanPol share by watching the concert in multiple parks/locations drinking craft beer with a bunch of sea people who call themselves haligonians. That's enough patriotism to last me a lifetime.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popular Human posted:

Yeah, they've had intermissions between every 6-8 songs this tour, probably so Gord can go sit down for a minute/have a drink/chill out. You can tell he's just fighting hard not to just fall over some of the time.

Nice avatar.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Count Roland posted:

The concert was on TV at the place where I was getting takeout. I glanced up and saw Gord in a hideous white outfit with feathers. Glanced back and saw a screen showing a huge Canadian flag in front of a cheering crowd.

I like how much people have rallied behind a good artist dying of cancer, but don't like how the whole thing has been draped in a flag for some reason.

The Hip is pretty much the only big Canadian band that isn't also a major band in the US and therefore useless as a symbol of Canadiana.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I was there tonight. I thought they did a fine job and Gord is very amusing to watch.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Gord was definitely more energetic in previous years/tours. He still moved around a lot this one, but he sure looked gaunt and run down this tour (It looked almost like he has some recently discovered, inoperable tumour in his brain, and then endured the usual bout of debilitating therapies and procedures... :( ). Nevertheless, he still possessed that same old weird, frenetic energy that is somewhere between endearing and off-putting that is his trademark, and he put everything he had into it, like always. The band was fine, like always, but you listen to the Hip for Gord's surreal, uncanny, poetic lyrical interpretation of specific places and times, not the long-haired weirdos in the back strumming along.

As others have mentioned, the weird, corporatised pastiche nationalism that gets stapled onto them can shrivel up and die, but at least there wasn't a flyover or some loving SPEC-OPS cosplayers rappelling from the rafters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress nationalism. Hip are okay but stop making it about Canada we're embarrassing ourselves

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

zapplez posted:

This concert has been fantastic and the kind of thing that would be written about in encyclopedias if they still made those things. I don't even understand the type of people that couldn't appreciate it at face value. Must be like that one kid in your high school class that would make a point of saying how he wasn't gonna watch the Olympic hockey finals because its a waste of time and instead would be watching reruns of his favourite anime for the tenth time.

This post is great:

-Written Encyclopaedias
-"This was good you ingrates"
-"Your My Highschool"

We are actually witnessing an early Millenials get pissy about being an old out of touch gently caress.

"No it is the children who are wrong :freep:"

Take your Xanax and go back to bed Grandpa.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress nationalism. Stop making it about Canada we're embarrassing ourselves

A good idea, generally.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

PT6A posted:

What? I don't think anyone's arguing with the notion that they've contributed to Canadian culture, or that this concert is culturally significant, it's just that it's not a very good concert. I really wish it were. I was expecting better.

David Bowie left us just after releasing a fantastic new album; Gord Downie will leave us having played a very average concert. His legacy deserves better.

It was a great concert, you're a philistine is all. You're like my friend who after seeing Chuck Berry play live, could only say 'wow his voice is shot'. You're like a guy who is given a spoonful of the most delicious food in the world, and complains about how the portion is too small.

That guy had brain surgery and chemo that's clearly had a hugely debilitating impact on him, and yet came out and managed to do a 2.5+ hour concert. 'Eh, it sucked.'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I probably couldn't name one Tragically Hip song if I tried, oh well, this is a politics thread.

quote:

Christy Clark just unveiled a climate change plan that's so bad her own experts are ripping it apart

British Columbia Premier Christy Clark quietly unveiled her government's new "climate leadership plan" on a late Friday afternoon in the middle of August before a backdrop of people dressed up as scientists in lab coats.

The good news, Clark explained, was that she was implementing "almost all" of the recommendations proposed by her government's Climate Leadership Team.

The bad news? The plan, pieced together by a former Fraser Institute director who once suggested BC school children should be shown movies attacking climate science, accepted zero recommendations in full – and it's getting terrible reviews for failing to meet BC's own emission reduction targets.

Here's how those experts reacted on Friday:

https://twitter.com/Tzeporah/status/766732158006198272

https://twitter.com/merransmith/status/766739718692155392

https://twitter.com/Pembina/status/766733236240121856

Even Dr. Sybil Seitzinger of the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions – the one expert Clark brought in to speak at the press conference – was highly critical of the plan:

https://twitter.com/emcsheff/status/766736407968698368

Here are a few reasons Clark's own experts aren't happy:

Clark ignored key recommendations by the panel of experts

https://twitter.com/Tzeporah/status/766737187387813888

https://twitter.com/Tzeporah/status/766731579011895296

An early red flag might have been when Clark appointed Fazil Mihlar as the Deputy Minister for Climate Leadership – a central role in the creation of the policy.

Mihlar was a director of the Fraser Institute, an organization whose own stable of whose stable of right-wing "experts" routinely question the science of climate change. He was also an editor on the Vancouver Sun's editorial page where he described "global warming" as "the latest weapon in the West's arsenal to subjugate and impoverish millions of people in the Third World," drawing parallels between environmental policies and the "racist behaviour" of European colonialists.

Clark's climate change czar also encouraged readers to "think of coal to meet our future energy needs."

Meanwhile, the panel of experts appointed to help craft the plan – the Climate Leadership Team – has been raising concerns that Clark's government was refusing to commit to their recommendations.

A few months ago, Clark's Climate Leadership Team co-signed an editorial in the Victoria Times Colonist warning:

"If carbon pollution continues to grow as currently projected, B.C. cannot credibly call itself a climate leader. We'll once again be part of the problem.”

The plan won't put a tougher price on carbon pollution

https://twitter.com/merransmith/status/766768229700075520

One of the Climate Leadership Team's top recommendations was to meet hard emissions reduction targets through stronger regulation of emissions and increasing the province's carbon tax by $10 a tonne per year by 2018.

In the same editorial, the team noted:

"B.C.'s carbon tax has stalled at a level that is not providing enough incentive to reduce carbon pollution. To fix that, B.C. needs a stronger carbon tax and new and improved regulations that cover a broader range of emissions."

But Clark's Liberal government is already on track to miss its own legislated target a one-third reduction in emissions by 2020.

Under the plan, BC won't even hit its own emission reduction targets

https://twitter.com/cleanenergycan/status/766743634670682113

BC's carbon emissions have been rising since Clark's government froze its own carbon tax in 2012.

The new plan's emissions curbs mean the province will miss targets for 2020, 2030 and 2050. The measures outlined in the plan only represent a two-megatonne (Mt) reduction in BC's annual carbon emissions over current levels by 2030. BC's legislated emissions target for 2050 is 13 Mt.

As the Pembina Institute's Josha McNabb points out: "under the Climate Leadership Plan released today, carbon pollution will not start to significantly decline for almost 15 years — assuming all the reductions in the plan come to fruition. This falls far short of the level of ambition needed to reach B.C.’s 2050 target and leaves the hard work for a later day."

http://www.pressprogress.ca/christy_clark_just_unveiled_a_climate_change_plan_thats_so_bad_her_own_experts_are_ripping_it_apart

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rust Martialis posted:

It was a great concert, you're a philistine is all. You're like my friend who after seeing Chuck Berry play live, could only say 'wow his voice is shot'. You're like a guy who is given a spoonful of the most delicious food in the world, and complains about how the portion is too small.

That guy had brain surgery and chemo that's clearly had a hugely debilitating impact on him, and yet came out and managed to do a 2.5+ hour concert. 'Eh, it sucked.'

He wasn't the main problem with it, by any means. I'm not saying, "wow, he looked tired," or "his singing was off," since both of those things would be understandable. It was the entire band's problem, exacerbated by the fact that they played mainly songs I didn't like.

I was talking to my Dad about it, who's a retired recording engineer, and he pointed out that, in his professional opinion, the mix for the broadcast was also completely hosed. So it wasn't just my imagination.

But I guess I went against the Canadian orthodoxy of "the Hip is the BEST BAND EVAR" so gently caress me, right? Downie's situation is sad, as it is when anyone dies of cancer, but it's nothing compared to what the world lost when John Bonham, Frank Zappa, Freddie Mercury, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, or any number of others died before their time -- some of whom knew it was coming, some of whom didn't. That's just life. I can't force myself to pretend otherwise in the name of patriotism.

EDIT: I just checked the setlist and confirmed they didn't even play a single song from my favourite album, the only album of theirs I ever bought. And they missed out on my other favourite song as well.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 21, 2016

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I took you off ignore about a year after the children's hospital retardation, but welcome back. You're a real damaged piece of poo poo. This isn't your livejournal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wasting posted:

I took you off ignore about a year after the children's hospital retardation, but welcome back. You're a real damaged piece of poo poo. This isn't your livejournal.

Yeah, I was the only person posting about the concert :rolleyes:

People are really attached to the Hip, eh? What an absolutely irrelevant issue to be so touchy about.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

PT6A posted:

EDIT: I just checked the setlist and confirmed they didn't even play a single song from my favourite album, the only album of theirs I ever bought. And they missed out on my other favourite song as well.

Now I'm curious which is your favorite - they played songs off their first seven(!) albums, everything they've written from 1988-2000. Those are generally considered to be their "good" records, too, so I'm going to laugh if your favorite is something like World Container 'cause ptttth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Popular Human posted:

Now I'm curious which is your favorite - they played songs off their first seven(!) albums, everything they've written from 1988-2000. Those are generally considered to be their "good" records, too, so I'm going to laugh if your favorite is something like World Container 'cause ptttth.

In Between Evolution.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I also am laughing at how many people think the Hip arent distinctly Canadian. The have a giant catalogue of interesting, literary songs that are all about Canada.

And if this is one of your first times hearing them and couldnt sign along, go buy the greatest hits double cd, its usually on sale for like 10 bucks. And then go to one of the obsessive fansites* and learn about the stories and themes behind the songs. They are a pretty fantastic band and will be missed.

* http://www.hipmuseum.com/index.html

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Hip are indeed distinctly Canadian. I don't think that's really here nor there when discussing whether that was a good concert in and of itself.

I've also got the greatest hits double album, and, surprise, I don't care for a lot of the songs. Some of the ones I do like weren't on the setlist last night -- Looking For a Place to Happen struck me as a particularly glaring omission.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm just saying if our big outpouring of national spirit these days is rallying around a dude in a funny hat and shiny pants singing about cottage country rather than rallying around blowing up things, we're doing pretty okay.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Last night was obviously a Greatest Hits show minus an 8 song portion but that's okay. Caught a snippet on YouTube and CBC sanitized the gently caress out of the crowd noise. You could barely heard Gord sing in the arena. Sounds like he's playing to crickets in the video.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dude's take from his editorial about how climate change policies are going to make it harder for developing nations to develop, and that the western nations pushing for those changes have already benefited from the lack of such policies during their development, isn't wrong.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rand McNally posted:

Last night was obviously a Greatest Hits show minus an 8 song portion but that's okay. Caught a snippet on YouTube and CBC sanitized the gently caress out of the crowd noise. You could barely heard Gord sing in the arena. Sounds like he's playing to crickets in the video.

I saw them in Toronto last weekend and they were fantastic - the crowd was wild. I guess because Kingston is the last show it might have been a bit more emotional for the hardcore fans.

Anyway I'm still loling that Cristy Clark appointed someone from the Fraser Institute to do anything more than pass her another roll of toilet paper.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm just saying if our big outpouring of national spirit these days is rallying around a dude in a funny hat and shiny pants singing about cottage country rather than rallying around blowing up things, we're doing pretty okay.

The thing about 'cottage country' is some of us actually lived there year round. It was extremely abnormal to have to go to any of the major metropolitan areas to see the bulk of my family growing up and going back and forth between small farming and mining communities bombing down dirt roads and sometimes getting stuck there for a few days because of a snow storm was a big part of my formative years. Hell, my mother's parents had a wood stove/furnace combo as their only source of heating as a kid and I remember watching them cut their own cordwood every summer until they sold the farm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I identify with Blow at High Dough because they made a movie once, in my hometown.

EDIT: Also, while I'm thinking about it: why the gently caress can't I buy the complete series of Made in Canada? That was a good show, damnit!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2016

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

The thing about 'cottage country' is some of us actually lived there year round. It was extremely abnormal to have to go to any of the major metropolitan areas to see the bulk of my family growing up and going back and forth between small farming and mining communities bombing down dirt roads and sometimes getting stuck there for a few days because of a snow storm was a big part of my formative years. Hell, my mother's parents had a wood stove/furnace combo as their only source of heating as a kid and I remember watching them cut their own cordwood every summer until they sold the farm.

So now we know what's wrong with you

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PT6A posted:

Say what? It's very much real. There are laws about how much French you must have on signs, and I believe customers must be addressed first in French, and there are people who go around to inspect businesses and enforce those laws.

The OQLF isn't a police. They don't even have inspectors, all they do is respond to complaints from people. And they do so by giving small fines.

If you've heard otherwise you've heard a bunch of bullshit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

The OQLF isn't a police. They don't even have inspectors, all they do is respond to complaints from people. And they do so by giving small fines.

If you've heard otherwise you've heard a bunch of bullshit.

If they don't have inspectors, how do they judge if a complaint from someone gets upheld? Could I just harass businesses I don't like by reporting them for bullshit infractions over and over?

If there is no process for verification and appeal, that actually makes them far worse than an actual "language police."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PT6A posted:

If they don't have inspectors, how do they judge if a complaint from someone gets upheld? Could I just harass businesses I don't like by reporting them for bullshit infractions over and over?

If there is no process for verification and appeal, that actually makes them far worse than an actual "language police."

They, of course, have a process for verification. They don't go out and inspect business. That's was pretty clear, and you're being a moron.