Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Symbiotes feed on phenethylamine.

(Yeah I looked that up.)

Some of them aren't satisfied enough with gathering from their host, so they eat brains.

Yup, there was a Venom miniseries where Eddie Brock had to eat a lot of chocolate to calm down his symbiote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shinjobi posted:

why does the symbiote want to eat brains? As a kid my only window into Marvel stuff was the 90s Spiderman cartoon, and obviously that series never mentions Venom wanting to eat brains. It was an awkward moment for me to read an issue of Venom around the same time, where the suit was loose and rampaging around New York or something. Can someone care to explain? Seems like such a weird detail to add to the alien.

According to the most recent arc of Guardians, the symbiotes are, quite literally, supposed to be symbiotic, living in peace/supporting their host, but the symbiote that ended up being the Venom one went insane on contact with Peter Parker's infected blood and that's where its murderous rage comes from.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...something, something all the other bad ones...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis completely ignored like every single solo Venom comic ever as well as the original art of the Symbiotes because he wanted to tell his goofy Klyntaaaaaars story.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

More like, uh, Klyntards

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

According to the most recent arc of Guardians, the symbiotes are, quite literally, supposed to be symbiotic, living in peace/supporting their host, but the symbiote that ended up being the Venom one went insane on contact with Peter Parker's infected blood and that's where its murderous rage comes from.

Oh please, we all know that it was making contact with Deadpool first that made it go crazy town banana pants.

Rhyno posted:

Bendis completely ignored like every single solo Venom comic ever as well as the original art of the Symbiotes because he wanted to tell his goofy Klyntaaaaaars story.

Yeah, that has to be a record for Bendis throwing previously established continuity out the window. Didn't Planet of the Symbiotes establish that Venom was the outlier that wanted to live in symbiosis and all the rest would rather just use their hosts like puppets?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, that has to be a record for Bendis throwing previously established continuity out the window. Didn't Planet of the Symbiotes establish that Venom was the outlier that wanted to live in symbiosis and all the rest would rather just use their hosts like puppets?

I hate to be fair to Bendis, but the Spider-man and Venom books could never agree on if the symbiote or Eddie was the really evil one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I hate to be fair to Bendis, but the Spider-man and Venom books could never agree on if the symbiote or Eddie was the really evil one.

Yeah, but Planet of the Symbiotes established that the rest of his species were dicks, and that Venom was (whether or not he was evil out of him or Brock) less evil than them.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Yeah, but that was because of his "Lethal Protector" anti-hero status quo of the time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's extremely Ok to ignore continuity that's old, obscure, muddled, contradictory, and works against what everyone involved believes will be a good new story.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Shinjobi posted:

I have a Venom question:

why does the symbiote want to eat brains? As a kid my only window into Marvel stuff was the 90s Spiderman cartoon, and obviously that series never mentions Venom wanting to eat brains. It was an awkward moment for me to read an issue of Venom around the same time, where the suit was loose and rampaging around New York or something. Can someone care to explain? Seems like such a weird detail to add to the alien.

It actually started as a throw-away line in one of the very first appearances of Venom. Either the McFarlane or Larsen run. Just typical bad-guy talk. It was later used for a toy.

All this other poo poo about a race of symbioses and them needing to feed on brain matter is retcon from a line in a 90's comic and a crappy, controversial talking action figure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's all fine though because Venom is the worst.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

It's extremely Ok to ignore continuity that's old, obscure, muddled, contradictory, and works against what everyone involved believes will be a good new story.

Unfortunately Bendis didn't tell a very good new story and had tons of people actively telling him to stop the entire time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Actually you'll find that Carnage is the worst and Venom is merely boring

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

uh oh

uh oh

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Symbiotes are really goofy sometimes. 'nuff said. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spidey isn't supposed to be able to sense Carnage!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

Clearly he senses the Silver Sufer, whose Power Cosmic is too great to be masked by Carnage's anti-Spider-Sense powers

give me my loving No-Prize

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

I thought it was only Venom that his Spider-sense didn't work on because that symbiote was bonded with him and knew how to block it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Somewhere Gavok just got really mad and doesn't know why

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Agent Venom, however, is the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SeannieDarko posted:

I thought it was only Venom that his Spider-sense didn't work on because that symbiote was bonded with him and knew how to block it?

Carnage is just an offshoot of Venom though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Agent Venom, however, is the best.

The only time I've ever given a gently caress about the symbiotes except maybe the first couple of years of Venom being a villain when it was a novelty. Carnage and everything that came after I don't like at all.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Carnage is just an offshoot of Venom though.

He's red tho, so he can't be exactly the same.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

The only time I've ever given a gently caress about the symbiotes except maybe the first couple of years of Venom being a villain when it was a novelty. Carnage and everything that came after I don't like at all.

I've always liked Venom, but it changed from "liking Venom because I was 13 and Venom is the most 13-year-old-rear end 'superhero' ever" to "genuinely one of the best and most layered superheroes Marvel has".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The symbiotes are fine when Bendis is not writing them. Just like the majority of marvel characters.

Edit: I maybe in the middle of the mighty/new avenger symbiotes crossover and its awful.

Also lol at the hood chumping tigra in a very sexualized assault scene.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No they're not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was pretty amusing

Though it did lead to this

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happened to Anti Venom

Auntie Venom

Has venom ever possessed aunt may

if not why not

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

So what happened to Anti Venom

He lost all his gross pus reverse symbiote cells to save everyone from the Spider-Island virus. Then he went completely bonkers(er) and started murdering people with symbiotes, and then fused with the now-hostless Toxin symbiote against his will. Since then he's pretty much been acting exactly like he did when he was Venom, which is to say evil 95% of the time but sometimes does something decent, and is extremely convinced he's more moral than the people he keeps trying to murder for no reason.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that was quick

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It blows because Anti-Venom was the one status quo for Eddie and the Venom goopsuit that didn't threaten to revert to the two of them joined as Venom as soon as Flash Venom stopped selling well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

It blows because Anti-Venom was the one status quo for Eddie and the Venom goopsuit that didn't threaten to revert to the two of them joined as Venom as soon as Flash Venom stopped selling well.

I thought Anti-Venom had a ton of potential and was the best thing Slott did in years, so it makes sense that he decided to destroy the character to spite me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So Bendis HATES Hank Pym? Mighty avengers seems to have been made to do two things. poo poo on Hank Pym and make carol Danvers the least like able character ever. Man this series is pretty, but cho creepy.

I'm five issues in and oh boy are those thought bubbles are awful.

Edit: and gently caress tony stark. God drat he is a monster character for the but he is in this. How was he ever redeemed?

Edit: ok so he shits in Pym but makes him the best character not named ares?

Mighty avengers is an aggravating, fun read.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 22, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

How was he ever redeemed?

He rebooted his brain with an old backup and was horrified learning about his Civil War actions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He rebooted his brain with an old backup and was horrified learning about his Civil War actions.

He then told numerous people that despite not remembering them he stood by his previous decisions.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm glad I don't follow Bendis as a writer, he engenders a lot of frustration.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HIJK posted:

I'm glad I don't follow Bendis as a writer, he engenders a lot of frustration.

He also has some amazing runs aka Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-man, and a good amount of New Avengers

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Can someone tell me about what I should expect if I start reading Gwenpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

He also has some amazing runs aka Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-man, and a good amount of New Avengers

New avengers is a garbage run. Each year is one 6 issue arc of bs then 6 issues of event tie in.

Edit: new avengers is garbage of what I have read. the breakout arc is good, but goes off the rails with savage land arc. This is followed by the awful ronin arc, 5 bad civil war, 1 good civil war, awful Ronin part 2, then secret invasion. Oh the hood issue was pretty good if you excluded the hood. Jessica Drew is awful.

Bendis did have a great JJ and DD runs. His Luke cage is good too until civil war aftermath.

Edit: to be fair to his new avengers run half the problems seem to be that it is weighed down by terrible events and a few pieces Bendis wanted to play with get taken away.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread