Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dirt posted:

New Trump Scandal :siren:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-rent_us_57bba424e4b03d51368a82b9?o9ix30du10s5rk9

TL:DR Trump jacked the rent of his campaign office in his own Trump tower 4x higher(to almost 170k/month from 35k/month back in March), once the rent was being paid by donor money. Basically pocketing donations.

I'm not shocked. I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. I mean HILLARY'S EMAILS OMG

edit: It's nearly 5 times higher actually. 35k*5 = 175,000.

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

So assuming Hillary wins in November...who do you think we'll see running in the GOP Primary in 4 years? I'm guessing Rubio, Cruz, and Kasich will all be back, as well as Paul Ryan, Greg Abbot, and maybe Nikki Haley, Brian Sandoval, and Tom Cotton. My secret wish is that Sarah Palin runs and gets a Trump endorsement :getin:.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Hmm, why would a literal multi billionaire care about a few hundred grand?

Unless...

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Eifert Posting posted:

You'd think Republicans would want them redacted, because then they could tell supporters all their worst fears are the parts that w[redacted].

Their best play is to demand that they be released unredacted, so that when they are released as redacted they can say, "see, we told you there's a cover up".

All though it is funny that they won't shut up about Hillary "putting our nation at risk" with these emails on an unsecured server but sure, go ahead, now let's put them all out there.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

bowser posted:

So assuming Hillary wins in November...who do you think we'll see running in the GOP Primary in 4 years? I'm guessing Rubio, Cruz, and Kasich will all be back, as well as Paul Ryan, Greg Abbot, and maybe Nikki Haley, Brian Sandoval, and Tom Cotton. My secret wish is that Sarah Palin runs and gets a Trump endorsement :getin:.

Allen West?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fluffdaddy posted:

I went to school to be a writer, and I struggle to find a job that doesn't involve me writing about race because thats the only type of narrative these companies want to hear from black men. I was heavily influenced by victorian literature and sci-fi and you can guess how many opportunities pop up for me in Sci-Fi circles (its zero).

Hey I work in TV/Film too. Keep writing, we need you. We're experiencing a seismic shift from "no minority writers" to "some minority writers" in Hollywood, so now's the time. If you don't write screenplays write books, self-publish if you have to - that might even be better, because then you can keep the publisher from shelving you under "Afro-Lit" or turning your characters white in the cover art. What I do for a living is essentially convince white studio dudes that minorities are So Hot Right Now, and it's starting to work. The market's nothing like it was even five years ago.

nutranurse posted:

Like all comedians, bank on her being a bad person.

Alllllll of them.

SquadronROE posted:

Wow this is great insight. I really appreciate you being so open about this - as I said I have a hard time getting my RL black friends to talk about it. Mostly because they're professional friends and I generally just don't ask at work because I don't want to be impolite or make them uncomfortable.

There are a couple of things I'm really intrigued by - they're kind of foreign concepts to me as a middle class white guy. Specifically: Hair - I didn't realize that there was that much of a physiological difference in hair from different races. I guess I always noticed that black people's hair tends to be thicker, but I always figured that was a style choice. Does this basically come back to needing to "fit in" with white culture? So if you're a black woman you're encouraged to straighten your hair, perhaps lighten it, simply to try to fit in?

Also you mentioned the concept of "internalized racism". This is a new one to me. Is this just because we've been so lovely to you and so degrading over the past few centuries that it's created a complex? Like, you'll feel like you earned some of that nonsense?

One thing I've always wondered (my context here is growing up in the South and going to church fairly often) is that Black churches always had a much stronger sense of community than white churches. Do you feel like this holds true? Does the church provide a broader shelter or sense of community - or is it damaging in its own ways?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to write all of this. I feel like I'm learning so much about a culture I thought I knew a fair bit about - but as it turns out I really only know the surface white vs. black stuff - ie. Jim Crow and segregation and all that.

I didn't grow up religious and it seems like you got some good answers about internalized racism already, so let's talk about hair!

As people mentioned, Chris Rock (who has done many great things and thought many great thoughts, but he is a comedian, so never forget what nutranurse teaches us) made a documentary called Good Hair that you should check out for an in-depth look. It's a bit limited by his male perspective, but it's a closeup look at the world of black beauty.

Africa is as genetically diverse as Europe, if not more, so all of this is generalizing, but generally the hair black people have is fundamentally different from caucasian and asian hair. People who do black hair talk a lot about hair types:

As you can see, our hair is essentially an extreme curl. If you pull out a single strand of my hair (please never do this) you'll see it's a very thin, very delicate, tightly-coiled spiral. Our hair is actually much more fragile than caucasian hair, but to white people's eyes it just looks frizzy, messy, or the racially-loaded word "nappy."

Black hair tends to be very dry and can break easily because the strands are so thin, so our hair often doesn't grow as long as a white person's does. This is one of the reasons braids are popular - it protects the hair and some people think it makes it grow faster. We need different hair products - more oil, less detergent. The sudsy shampoos designed to remove the oil that makes caucasian hair lank and greasy just makes ours way too dry and brittle. Cocoa butter is a traditional and multi-useful beauty product for both our hair and skin, which can also tend towards dryness (when we say we look "ashy" we're talking about dry skin - the layer of dead skin looks lighter and can appear white or gray next to the healthy dark skin underneath), but we also use stuff like argan oil and olive oil. Lately a lot of traditional black beauty product ingredients have become trendy in formulations marketed to white people, although they're way too heavy for white people hair imo. On the upside it's easier to find the poo poo I need on the cheap now because white girls try it, turn into an oil slick, and that poo poo ends up on clearance. Thank u impulse-buying white girls

A pet peeve of mine is when black people are talking about the unique challenges of black hair is when white people try to commiserate by talking about their "jewfros." A., that's not the same thing at all - completely different hair texture, and B., that "fro" part there is pretty derisive, like a shorthand for messy or unruly. Black hair is always political, so appropriating that when you never have to deal with the consequences is insensitive.

The main thing to understand about our hair being so structurally different is that it will never, ever really look like a white person's. We can smooth it out with heat styling or chemically restructure it, but it will always look and move differently than caucasian hair. If a black woman has hair that's shiny and flowy like barbie hair, she's possibly wearing a wig or weave - either synthetic hair or real human hair from another race. Indian hair is common, and there's a whoooole ethical Thing about whether that hair is freely given, but it's important to me that people don't judge women who choose not to wear their "real" hair. Black people, especially black women, never get to just be wash-n-go with their hair, because truly natural black hair, not the carefully tended Natural Afro, reads to white people somewhere on the level of "crazy hobo." We each strike our own balance between practicality, personal style, and fitting into white america's expectations, and every choice is right and okay. There's no immoral hairstyle.

While we're on the topic, since you might not know, dreadlocks are a traditional hairstyle developed to make use of a natural property of our hair - when we twist it it naturally "locks" and hangs together, keeping it neat and tidy without having to use hair ties or anything. It's a hairstyle loaded with a lot of cultural, political, and even religious connotations, which is one of the reasons I don't super love it when white people have dreads, but the other is that white people hair does not naturally lock, so get that style they have to do all kinds of disgusting and damaging poo poo to their hair, making it filthy, which then leads other white people to assume black dreads are filthy too. They aren't!

Dreads are different than braids, which are different than twists, and then there's silk wraps and hot combs and I could talk about this poo poo forever, but that should get you started.

Del Capitan posted:

One of the big things that came up today was that there is a narrative that there's only one way to be 'truly' black. I'm curious, is this One True Only way something that actual humans can really experience? Or is is cobbled together from so many disparate things that few people could actually hope to live up to it? Or does it just shift and flow so much from community to community that there's not even a general agreed upon One True Only Way?

I think about this a lot, obviously, and my current theory is that the only true black people are ones in the past. MLK is always cited as a black person who was the best at being The Right Kind of Black Person, but everyone forgets how hated he was - everything people say about BLM now they said about him back then. Nina Simone's an icon of black womanhood, but she caught nonstop poo poo when she was alive. Morgan Freeman's doing okay at blackness, probably? Or is he a sellout for propping up white media and playing the magical negro so many times?

Yeah I think that poo poo's impossible. But everyone curious about this stuff should watch Dear White People. It's not a perfect film by any stretch, but it has a lot of frank conversations about exactly this kind of question, and also a girl I know is in it and onscreen for several sustained seconds so that's pretty cool.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FIRST TIME posted:

Their best play is to demand that they be released unredacted, so that when they are released as redacted they can say, "see, we told you there's a cover up".

All though it is funny that they won't shut up about Hillary "putting our nation at risk" with these emails on an unsecured server but sure, go ahead, now let's put them all out there.

for being so unsecure it's sure taking a lot of effort to release them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Xae posted:

Yes.

The debate is now over how fast the state department will release them. The State Department would like to redact them and make sure they are cleared for public release.

Others want them all released with no redacting and no screening.
Yeah obviously so they can whinge endlessly about how John Kerry's State Department mishandled and released classified information.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think about this a lot, obviously, and my current theory is that the only true black people are ones in the past. MLK is always cited as a black person who was the best at being The Right Kind of Black Person, but everyone forgets how hated he was - everything people say about BLM now they said about him back then.

I like to pull out this political cartoon from the 60's when white people start talking about how "BLM isn't what MLK would have wanted."

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Koalas March posted:

Black women on TV is a whole 'nother thing to unpack, because there's a lot to go into there. I'm going to post this again because it's relevant to how the media reinfornces stereotypes.

What's your take on "The Help"? I felt like there was a whole bunch of white savior bullshit, but that's my white male take and I freely admit that it may be entirely awful and wrong.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yinlock posted:

for being so unsecure it's sure taking a lot of effort to release them.

Dude it would take forever for the state department to release an email from Obama to the staff Chef saying he wants an omelet for breakfast.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

Dude it would take forever for the state department to release an email from Obama to the staff Chef saying he wants an omelet for breakfast.

True. It's just weird that we keep getting told about THIS INSECURE THREAT TO AMERICA'S SECURITY that nobody has seen on account of how secure it is oops.

I'm still convinced ~the emails~ are 10% actual business, 50% food chat and 40% Bill Clinton going "hey girl how u doin" then trying to explain himself when he accidentally sends that to Hillary.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Captain Stalin posted:

Trustworthiness is a serious issue for Clinton. Like it or not, the 24 years of non-stop smearing against her by the republicans has taken root in a large part of the population, many who aren't thrilled about either candidate.

Thus far Clinton's campaign has been real smart about having people look at Trump as he was hogging the spot light. If the light gets shined on her, the media and many voters will see that she can do no right and suddenly the "close horse race" narrative is back on.

We just have to hope that Trump keeps liking the sound of his own voice and that Hillary kills it on the first debate.
I wonder to what extent this poo poo show is making her seem more trustworthy? I'm sure that overall the recent attacks are harming her, of course, though they can't be all that effective at this point, after 30 years of it. (By the way, it's more than 24 years - the GOP has been on her rear end since she was FLOAK.)

For me, I never considered her that trustworthy before this election, and was virulently against her nomination in 2008 (which I now realize was stupid). Basically when you bear in mind that Republicans have had a vendetta against her for 30 years and in all that time have gotten basically nothing on her that they could make stick, the fact that she is poised to become POTUS is really loving remarkable. Like if Joan of Arc and Leslie Knope had a kid.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dirt posted:

New Trump Scandal :siren:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-rent_us_57bba424e4b03d51368a82b9?o9ix30du10s5rk9

TL:DR Trump jacked the rent of his campaign office in his own Trump tower 4x higher(to almost 170k/month from 35k/month back in March), once the rent was being paid by donor money. Basically pocketing donations.

I'm not shocked. I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. I mean HILLARY'S EMAILS OMG

edit: It's nearly 5 times higher actually. 35k*5 = 175,000.

Am I crazy or is it not even fully constructed? Is Trump also milking the loving build up of the campaign office?!

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
In regards to the potential for public release of Hillary's e-mails, this is nothing more than media outlets looking for ways to generate attention/clicks. Yes, it's a real judicial initiative. Yes, it's a black eye that keeps showing up for her campaign. However, if the entire media front just went full Trump 24/7 blast, two things would likely occur: desensitization and disconnect; basically the twin pillars of woe for any media outlet. Character attacks generate attention, attention generates clicks, clicks generate revenue, revenue generates keeping the lights on.
Hypothesizing the conjecture based around "THE EMAILS" in the debate cycle will basically result in an endless volley of, "Show me the emails!", "No, you show me your taxes!". The shark of rhetoric is not only jumped at that point, it's exploded like the shark at the end of the movie Jaws. It won't draw in viewers, is trite, and makes both candidates look bad- the pointless rhetoric, not exploding sharks.

Short of a correspondence between Hillary and Osama Bin Laden that involved her agreeing America deserved 9/11, the "idea" of what the e-mails might contain is far worse, or totally banal, depending on how you already perceive her as a candidate. "Crooked Hillary" appearing "Crooked" isn't forging any new ground to stir up anymore support for Trump. "Millionaire Trump", as opposed to "T R U M P BILLIONAIRE" IS the equivalent of him saying 9/11 was deserved.

Too much vestigial, ill guided, and politically unsustainable garbage has been pushed into Trump's camp for the GOP establishment to not purge itself of everyone in his carnival of misfits with one righteous strike. Looking forward to Paul Ryan coming forward with a "heavy heart and great reservation about making this information public" and dropping something of the magnitude of Trump's tax returns in mid October. When names like Koch, Adelson, and Bush treat you like a pariah, it's not over hurt feelings, it's a calculated maneuver to avoid the fall out that is due to come. At the same time, the GOP can't afford to let Hillary look like Jesus in comparison, so back to the e-mail agenda we go.

TL/DR: Paul Ryan is going to go full Kingslayer in October, book it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
it seems to be often forgotten that she went by hillary rodham until bill lost his first bid for re-election as gov of AR, many an arkansas good ol boy opined a woman should have the same last name as her husband unlike that yankee gal, she started going by hrc and bill won a second trip to the governors mansion

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The Michigan GOP tried to keep Melissa Gilbert from dropping out of a Congressional race, saying that she hadn't “adequately proved that she would be physically unfit to serve in Congress.”

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2016/08/22/no-action-taken-bid-keep-melissa-gilbert-ballot/89118066/

She should have just taken some pictures of herself with some pillows in the room. :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It's still kind of surreal to me when I take a step back that we're close to electing the first women ever as president, but because its Hillary and shes such a known quantity for so long It almost seems like it doesn't count. I mean that outside of a few perfunctory words here and there, and some dog whistle insults about her, no one really seems to care.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or what about that.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hmm, why would a literal multi billionaire care about a few hundred grand?

Unless...

Pretend I linked that story about Trump cashing a check for something absurd like 10¢

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

While we're on the topic, since you might not know, dreadlocks are a traditional hairstyle developed to make use of a natural property of our hair - when we twist it it naturally "locks" and hangs together, keeping it neat and tidy without having to use hair ties or anything. It's a hairstyle loaded with a lot of cultural, political, and even religious connotations, which is one of the reasons I don't super love it when white people have dreads, but the other is that white people hair does not naturally lock, so get that style they have to do all kinds of disgusting and damaging poo poo to their hair, making it filthy, which then leads other white people to assume black dreads are filthy too. They aren't!

First of all thank you for sharing! I watched the Good Hair doc a few years ago, learned a lot.

I just want to point out one thing: Dreadlocks are not a uniquely black thing at all. The ancient Greeks used that hairstyle. So did the ancient Egyptians. It was known to the Aztecs pre-european contact. It's been part of many societies for well over 3,000 years. And if you mean what I think you mean about "naturally lock" that depends on the individual's hair texture and how straight/curly it is.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simulated posted:

First of all thank you for sharing! I watched the Good Hair doc a few years ago, learned a lot.

I just want to point out one thing: Dreadlocks are not a uniquely black thing at all. The ancient Greeks used that hairstyle. So did the ancient Egyptians. It was known to the Aztecs pre-european contact. It's been part of many societies for well over 3,000 years. And if you mean what I think you mean about "naturally lock" that depends on the individual's hair texture and how straight/curly it is.

Golly, thanks, I look forward to your next post about "No Irish Need Apply" signs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Crabtree posted:

Am I crazy or is it not even fully constructed? Is Trump also milking the loving build up of the campaign office?!
Look at the caption. That's the fifth floor where the cheap rent primary offices were. They're now on the 14th floor, where the rent is presumably higher. It's a bad partisan click bait article.

From a WSJ article PinterestMom found:

quote:

Along with making staff changes, Mr. Trump is taking steps aimed at running the campaign more as a business than a political operation. In recent weeks, he moved his campaign from its original fifth-floor digs in Trump Tower, furnished with folding tables and chairs, to a more traditional corporate space on the 14th floor, with plush carpeting, mahogany paneling, plasma TVs on the walls and corner offices furnished with heavy desks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hey I work in TV/Film too. Keep writing, we need you. We're experiencing a seismic shift from "no minority writers" to "some minority writers" in Hollywood, so now's the time. If you don't write screenplays write books, self-publish if you have to - that might even be better, because then you can keep the publisher from shelving you under "Afro-Lit" or turning your characters white in the cover art. What I do for a living is essentially convince white studio dudes that minorities are So Hot Right Now, and it's starting to work. The market's nothing like it was even five years ago.

Would I be able to buy you platinum so I can forums message you my ~BLACK GIRLFRIEND'S~ script? Even in SA USPOL there is no escape from solicitors. She's having a tough time finding other black folks in the industry.

Fun racism story. I work for [redacted Hollywood industry] security. I was sent to a property in LA because the guard stationed there saw a about 4-6 black folks in the neighboring property (that we don't own). This guard was too scared to approach the folks hanging out in the white van filled with camera equipment, so he asked me to shoo them away. I talked to them and found out they were a BET production crew filming a reality show setpeice. They were clear and had permits (that I didn't even have authority to ask for). I gave that officer poo poo for wasting my time, but secretly I was thankful because I got the producer's number. That's my story.

Yes, I also asked them to read my girlfriend's script.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 23, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Look at the caption. That's the fifth floor where the cheap rent primary offices were. They're now on the 14th floor, where the rent is presumably higher. It's a bad partisan click bait article.

From a WSJ article PinterestMom found:

How does this improve his position? It simply means he is wasting donor money on a fancier (and unnecessary) office space

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I would consider that an improvement over "lol he just upped the rent 500%" myself. Judging by people's reactions in the two threads it's been posted in, the headline clearly gives the impression the rent went up for the same office space.

The current headline is more attention-grabbing than "Trump campaign wastes donor money upgrading to nicer offices", right?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I would consider that an improvement over "lol he just upped the rent 500%" myself. Judging by people's reactions in the two threads it's been posted in, the headline clearly gives the impression the rent went up for the same office space.

The current headline is more attention-grabbing than "Trump campaign wastes donor money upgrading to nicer offices", right?

It helps with the optics, but either way he is wasting donor money and filling his own pockets in the process. He's essentially doing the same thing, although this way he can make the argument that it's "justified".

But yes, as always HuffPo is clickbait-y and bad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Koalas March posted:

I would like the to try it again, but I don't like the idea of the of it being segregated, if you will. I mean we do have that threads that are USPol-related, but the threads involving black people always devolve in crazy racism. I would like to start a thread about black women specifically, (stereotypes, colorism, misogynoir, intersectional feminism etc)but idk if there's any interest in it.

From a while back, but I would be interested in this, too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Golly, thanks, I look forward to your next post about "No Irish Need Apply" signs.

You know, some hills aren't worth dying on. Or receiving month long probations for.

That said, dreadlocks not being specifically African American in origin doesn't change their position in a modern discussion of cultural approrpriation because they are perceived to be "a black thing" now, regardless of their origins.

I don't think white (male) posters being bad or dumb should stop black posters from making a thread to discuss black issues and educate bad and dumb white people. But that is also on black posters to decide if they want that headache.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lotka Volterra posted:

It helps with the optics, but either way he is wasting donor money and filling his own pockets in the process. He's essentially doing the same thing, although this way he can make the argument that it's "justified".

But yes, as always HuffPo is clickbait-y and bad.

Sad thing is this is probably what you have to do to get people to notice. Post factual world and all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KirbyKhan posted:

Would I be able to buy you platinum so I can forums message you my ~BLACK GIRLFRIEND'S~ script? Even in SA USPOL there is no escape from solicitors. She's having a tough time finding other black folks in the industry.

Kirby.45@gmail.com

Fun racism story. I work for [redacted Hollywood industry] security. I was sent to a property in LA because the guard stationed there saw a about 4-6 black folks in the neighboring property (that we don't own). This guard was too scared to approach the folks hanging out in the white van filled with camera equipment, so he asked me to shoo them away. I talked to them and found out they were a BET production crew filming a reality show setpeice. They were clear and had permits (that I didn't even have authority to ask for). I gave that officer poo poo for wasting my time, but secretly I was thankful because I got the producer's number. That's my story.

Yes, I also asked them to read my girlfriend's script.

Ha, that's incredibly sweet, but I don't think I'd be able to help. I don't get to pick writers or scripts, I just use what access I have to lean on people really hard about diversity. Does she belong to any of the black or women's writing networking groups? What about applying to the studio diverse writer programs? The WGA seminars are really good networking opportunities too.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

I didn't grow up religious and it seems like you got some good answers about internalized racism already, so let's talk about hair!

As people mentioned, Chris Rock (who has done many great things and thought many great thoughts, but he is a comedian, so never forget what nutranurse teaches us) made a documentary called Good Hair that you should check out for an in-depth look.
I saw this documentary. As someone who has not even managed to master make-up, it was equal parts amazing and terrifying.

You talk a lot about the expectations of white people regarding black hair. Do you think young white people also feel uneasy about African-textured hair, or is it more about the corporate world / older-people thing?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

meristem posted:

I saw this documentary. As someone who has not even managed to master make-up, it was equal parts amazing and terrifying.

You talk a lot about the expectations of white people regarding black hair. Do you think young white people also feel uneasy about African-textured hair, or is it more about the corporate world / older-people thing?

Young people too, for sure. Anecdotally it seems like young white people are more likely to not even realize that black hair is structurally different - which I know sounds plausibly non-racist in a "I don't even see color :buddy:" way but really it just means any black person they see with natural hair they're interpreting it as whatever it would take white people hair to look like that, so like "frizzy" or "bedhead" or worse. I've met more than one young white person who thought Questlove had a perm.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Tobermory posted:

To be less fair, Lewandowski is still on Trump's payroll:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/767219161684508672
Wouldn't that be a major conflict of interest for CNN? Granted, gently caress CNN, but this is pretty blatant.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ha, that's incredibly sweet, but I don't think I'd be able to help. I don't get to pick writers or scripts, I just use what access I have to lean on people really hard about diversity. Does she belong to any of the black or women's writing networking groups? What about applying to the studio diverse writer programs? The WGA seminars are really good networking opportunities too.

S'all good. WGA is on the list. I know she threw in for the big network diversity writer programs. Keep advocating, the ears have to hear that low to medium budget minority films are a good solid investment. The audience is there!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KirbyKhan posted:

S'all good. WGA is on the list. I know she threw in for the big network diversity writer programs. Keep advocating, the ears have to hear that low to medium budget minority films are a good solid investment. The audience is there!

So I have to ask, on a semi-related note. Tyler Perry movies. I only really see it in the form of ads on TV, but I read an article once on Tyler Perry and how he's apparently sexist in some of his movies. And I know he's apparently popular, or at least makes movies that are popular, among the black community. I don't know a lot about him or his movies and perceived, from ads, that he basically makes low budget sequel strings as simple comedy entertainment. But the article I had read was talking about some deep seated misogynist and religious undertones in his more serious films that I found troubling.

I know that black people in the thread were alluding to and discussing the problem of intersectionality between racism and sexism in the black community. How does Tyler Perry fit into that? Is he actually popular? Are his movies actually good?

Disclaimer: I will admit, I have never seen a Tyler Perry film, nor do I have any meaningful analytical opinion about them past the ads I've seen on TV.

To be clear, I'm mostly interested in the political and cultural context of his work. Whether or not it's actually good is mostly just a curiosity.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hi, I tried to do my usual skimming thing, but that argument with gfsincere went on for too many tens of pages. So I started doing that thing I always tell myself I should do: skip to skim every third page, so that I can spot if discussion has welled up around a new major news item. But then I still wasn't making progress, and the slavery-and-eugenics arguments, while very interesting at first, were still basically repeating themsleves dozens and dozens of pages later. So I started skipping tens of pages at once, just looking for anything else.

But that wasn't fruitful, so now I'm here making a kind of post I usually go through great pains to avoid making: "Hi, couldn't keep up with the thread, what (else) did I miss?"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ditocoaf posted:

Hi, I tried to do my usual skimming thing, but that argument with gfsincere went on for too many tens of pages. So I started doing that thing I always tell myself I should do: skip to skim every third page, so that I can spot if discussion has welled up around a new major news item. But then I still wasn't making progress, and the slavery-and-eugenics arguments, while very interesting at first, were still basically repeating themsleves dozens and dozens of pages later. So I started skipping tens of pages at once, just looking for anything else.

But that wasn't fruitful, so now I'm here making a kind of post I usually go through great pains to avoid making: "Hi, couldn't keep up with the thread, what (else) did I miss?"

zoux did good news interludes, read their most recent posts and you'll get everything interesting I think.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

aellisr posted:

TL/DR: Paul Ryan is going to go full Kingslayer in October, book it.

This hypothesis is assuming a degree of political courage that Ryan hasn't displayed at any stage of the campaign.

If he had a Trump bombshell in his pocket he should've dropped it long ago. If he does so in October, the questions will be

- When did you find out?
- Why didn't you let us know as soon as you did?
- Why for the love of God did you endorse?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Antti posted:

This hypothesis is assuming a degree of political courage that Ryan hasn't displayed at any stage of the campaign.

If he had a Trump bombshell in his pocket he should've dropped it long ago. If he does so in October, the questions will be

- When did you find out?
- Why didn't you let us know as soon as you did?
- Why for the love of God did you endorse?

Your points are valid, but they can also be explained by the very fact they bring to light: Paul Ryan is also very stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Makes me wonder if at some point during a coke-fueled fever dream trump realized he was slowly going broke and said hey, instead of starting my own religion I'll run for office and milk my donors for millions. A kilo of cocaine and a year later here we are, enjoying the very public meltdowns and their consequences. I mean, let this sink in: we have an entire political party who, at the highest levels in the american political system, is unwilling to break protocol and actually distance themselves in any real way from trump. Then we have trump running a platform of rhetoric that only the most racist of backwoods uneducated sister fuckers would embrace openly, except these people are doing it in front of live cameras to reporters or in front of crowds of thousands. His campaign's rhetoric is so offensive that there's a nonzero chance that the entirety of the united states might vote democrat, which means that every politician that is hell bent on sucking the trump train might as well be holding a sign saying "I am a literal shitbag" to more and more of their electorate. We are witnessing political history of epic proportions, the election year in which a candidate clowns his own political party so loving hard that the entire world is shaking its head in awe.

• Locked thread