Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Fair enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
The new two mana Planeswalker

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At Red Cliffs, Kongming and Zhou Yu each wrote his plan for defeating Wei on the palm of his hand. They laughed as they both revealed the same word, "Handshake."

:perfect:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

80s James Hetfield posted:

Definitely planeswalker status for Bogles.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

hosed up that we're getting Back to Theros leaks already.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At Red Cliffs, Kongming and Zhou Yu each wrote his plan for defeating Wei on the palm of his hand. They laughed as they both revealed the same word, "Handshake."

:golfclap:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

When are people just going to post things from the old random card generator that just generated random poo poo

I'm not the only one who remembers that thing, right? It was great

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

When are people just going to post things from the old random card generator that just generated random poo poo

You mean this one? I love how it always runs the gamut from completely nonsensical to completely busted, occasionally stumbling on an actually interesting design.

Tribal Instant - Arcane Bird (blue)
Choose one: return target Wizard to its owner's hand; or target red creature can't be blocked until end of turn and that creature gains ''1: until end of turn, if you would lose life, instead that many Birds are artifacts in addition to their other types until end of turn'' until end of turn
--Even the most awesome lunch can defeat
– Vitenka, the true knight

Converted mana cost: 2

Instant (green)
add 2GGG to your mana pool
Converted mana cost: 2

Creature - Human Samurai (2/1, white)
bushido X, where X is the number of Samurai spells cast this turn
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, attach target Equipment to target creature. (Control of that Equipment doesn't change.)
--His queen may catch even the most beautiful man
Though world fails greater than the beautiful heat
– Tasil the Cold, Initiate Wizard of the Opal Marsh

Converted mana cost: 3

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

That thing has a strange affection for Clashing and exiling libraries.

And giving weird overcosted/undercosted activation effects.

2(b/r)(u/g)(u/r)(w/b)(w)(w): Put a 0/1 black plant token on the field.
Sacrifice a plant: Clash with target opponent. If you win the Clash, exile any number of target libraries.
:v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Creature - Zombie (2/2, black)
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, clash with an opponent. If you win, destroy all creatures

Converted mana cost: 1

Creature - Gorgon Minion (3/2, black)
Tap an untapped black creature you control, T: target untapped creature with deathtouch gets -4/-4 until end of turn and ~this~ deals 7 damage to target green creature. When a creature damaged this way is put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control

Enchantment (green)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, add U to your mana pool for each creature on the battlefield. Spend this mana only on spells.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Four Score posted:

bullshit, no human being would let you near their kids even if you were a licensed pediatrician

jesus christ to catch a predator goes off the air for a few years and now the pedos have a loving licensing agency?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

jesus christ to catch a predator goes off the air for a few years and now the pedos have a loving licensing agency?

this joke was even more strained than the pauper metagame

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

this joke was even more strained than the pauper metagame

I tried poorly sorry. At least this thread is better than Reddit, who are currently arguing that Drake only having 25% of the 5-0 decklists means it shouldn't be banned.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Creature - Zombie (2/2, black)
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, clash with an opponent. If you win, destroy all creatures

Creature - Gorgon Minion (3/2, black)
Tap an untapped black creature you control, T: target untapped creature with deathtouch gets -4/-4 until end of turn and ~this~ deals 7 damage to target green creature. When a creature damaged this way is put into a graveyard from the battlefield this turn, return it to the battlefield under your control

Enchantment (green)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, add U to your mana pool for each creature on the battlefield. Spend this mana only on spells.

I hit the link and i forgot to copy the text, but the first card was a cmc 2 artifact that made golems and poo poo, but also had the activated ability, pay 4 life:lose 6 life. I just love that so much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elblanco posted:

I hit the link and i forgot to copy the text, but the first card was a cmc 2 artifact that made golems and poo poo, but also had the activated ability, pay 4 life:lose 6 life. I just love that so much.

My Ball
(2)
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature is a Child in addition to its other types, and has "T: You lose the game."
Equip (0)
"I'm going home."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Clashing was a cool ability. I would like they to try and bring it back but the best part of it was the Scry 1 and now that's evergreen.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Clashing was a cool ability. I would like they to try and bring it back but the best part of it was the Scry 1 and now that's evergreen.

It's Scry 1 for each player, and some small percentage of the time either something minor happens or something broken happens. Fun!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so I decided to run a couple of refreshes of that thing, the first time the theme was boring cards:

quote:

Legendary Artifact
All black creatures can't be blocked except by creatures with power 7 or less
Imprint — When ~this~ enters the battlefield, exile target nontoken creature. (The exiled card is imprinted on this artifact.)
Tap an untapped permanent you control: target creature of any of the imprinted card's colours gains ''All nonlegendary artifacts are 2/2 creatures in addition to their other types'' until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 4

Creature - Rat (2/2, black)
When ~this~ enters the battlefield, gain control of target permanent until end of turn

Converted mana cost: 4

Sorcery (black)
you may search your library for a card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, you shuffle that library afterwards.
--Her parent enlarges even the grandest pickle
– Lettoch, Knight of the Moor

the second time the theme was broken cards

quote:

Instant (blue and black)
destroy any number of target nonblack creatures

Legendary Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add 3 to your mana pool
UU, T: add 2WW to your mana pool

Creature - Beast (3/3, red)
Whenever a creature becomes blocked by a creature, target player may Sacrifice a multicoloured creature. If that player does, put a speed counter on ~this~. If ~this~ has X or more speed counters on it, where X is the number of blue creatures on the battlefield, flip it.
All Beasts can't block
- - - - -
Legendary Creature - Beast (7/3, red)
All nonwhite creatures gain ''When ~this~ leaves the battlefield, each player puts a 4/4 green Beast creature token with trample onto the battlefield''

ok enough of that from me at least

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Elyv posted:

so I decided to run a couple of refreshes of that thing, the first time the theme was boring cards
Rephrase that first card a bit, and it actually becomes pretty loving neat?

"T: All artifacts are bears" is kind of fantastic, and I would absolutely build a deck around that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GoutPatrol posted:

Clash is kinda nice to have present because if makes everyone's draws smoother, but it's not actually that nice to have in your deck since it helps your opponent just as much as it helps you. It seems to want you to run a deck with a higher CMC curve than usual, but since you lose ties you're still not going to crack a 50% clash winrate so why even bother? And yeah, it combos with other library manipulation, but if you already have your own library manipulation you're not benefiting from the clash-scry as much as your opponent is, so it's sort of fighting itself there.

It's also hard to design cards with it that feel good because if the clash reward matters then you end up with awkward cards that randomly do nothing for no good reason more than half the time, and if the clash reward doesn't matter then why is clash on the card at all? The cards need to be strong enough that you'd play them if they didn't have the clash effect, but then if the clash effect is any good they'd end up being too strong, or at least would constantly create random blowouts for no particular reason.

Like it's cool in principle but in practice is too close to "Both players scry 1. Roll a die. If you roll a 5 or a 6, [reward]" which is obviously stupid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Like it's cool in principle but in practice is too close to "Both players scry 1. Roll a die. If you roll a 5 or a 6, [reward]" which is obviously stupid.
I think that's the reason it's pretty high on the Storm scale. When the Decipher card games like Star Wars used that mechanic, it was because they'd built towards it from the start, and every card had a special stat that was just for it. More to the point, rarer and more powerful cards tended to have lower numbers, so it was almost written into the game rules that the underdog got a luck advantage.

By contrast, just using CMC doesn't work out very well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Both players scry 1" would probably be a better mechanic/theme to do in future instead. I do like designs like Borderland Explorer that give incidental card selection to both players.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

you could legitimately get a serial killer to coach youth sports and if they get results the parents would be asking their child what their loving problem is playing for a serial killer.

Bullshit, Hitler could sneak into coaching little league, and the team parents would tell everyone his name was Hilter, as long as the winning streak continued.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats what i said?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

thats what i said?

Had trouble parsing your sentence without punctuation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
MAN Collective Brutality is a good card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

MAN Collective Brutality is a good card.

In what exactly? Majors had it in his junk list and I have to say it seems pretty meh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

In what exactly? Majors had it in his junk list and I have to say it seems pretty meh.

In like 4 different decks in both standard and modern. Especially this UB Zombies deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

In like 4 different decks in both standard and modern. Especially this UB Zombies deck.

Thanks for clearing that up then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Thanks for clearing that up then.

I'll share the list after I bomb out of the RPTQ...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'll share the list after I bomb out of the RPTQ...

I honestly don't give a poo poo about your top secret list. I asked you "in what exactly" while mentioning major's junk deck. You said 4 different decks and only mentioned zombies. You are a silly person.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah CoBru is sick

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

yeah CoBru is sick

It was my favorite card to cast last night in Dredge even if I played like garbage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo about your top secret list. I asked you "in what exactly" while mentioning major's junk deck. You said 4 different decks and only mentioned zombies. You are a silly person.

The card has just stupidly overpreformed for me and is much better than it looks. Even the drain 2 mode has been good. I'm not surprised that Majors played it in Abzan at all.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

yeah CoBru is sick

CoBru in da hizzy!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

CoBru
CoCo
KoCo

That (those) cards are alright.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Thisuck posted:

CoBru in da hizzy!

it's such a cutely named card, like CoCo, but it's CoBru!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I read that Lantern players are trying it because it helps your ensnaring bridges.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I read that Lantern players are trying it because it helps your ensnaring bridges.

It's probably awesome in that deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Please don't bring that deck back :gonk:

• Locked thread