Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

theshim posted:

I love the huge amount of crazy poo poo you can do in PoE, it makes it one of my favorite games, and I hope their design philosophy includes ways to continue making crazy poo poo viable*.

*except elemental hit, because gently caress that

One of these days I'm going to make Elemental Hit work dammit. :argh:

panda clue posted:

Self-cast discharge is obscenely good when combined with juggernaut endurance charge generation. You're right though, that's not a Discharge problem I suppose.

I do think they're going to nerf that jugg talent.

As someone who did that this league, yeah, the GAIN ALL THE ENDURANCE CHARGES node is a wee bit broken

Holyshoot posted:

I'll probably do EA to start since it's a good first build. Been meaning to do it. Did ascendancy make it even better?

Ascendancies give you a couple options. Elementalist gives you some reflect protection and 0% damage penalty Elemental Proliferation for free. Deadeye gives you a bigger blast radius and a free projectile. There was even a Juggernaut one posted here a page or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I never got around to screwing with the new phys damage spells, so I wanted to try one out of the gate in the upcoming leagues. Given how often it comes up in build discussions, bladefall sounds way too strong and the mechanics don't seem too interesting anyway. Blade vortex on the other hand is pretty unique. I'm strongly leaning toward a blade vortex pathfinder for the huge defense potential in hardcore, specifically with this setup here

-110% skill duration gives big double dipping potential for vaal auras, poison, smoke mine, probably something else I'm forgetting
-50%+ crit rate after gear and charges means ~5 flask charges per second per target while maxed out at 50 blades. That's pretty much permanent flask uptime even against a single boss
-permanent flask uptime means permanent poison, which frees up a socket
-pretty good amount of life and evasion with IR, keeping in mind constant life/jade/basalt spam

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 23, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

whypick1 posted:

One of these days I'm going to make Elemental Hit work dammit. :argh:

As someone who did that this league, yeah, the GAIN ALL THE ENDURANCE CHARGES node is a wee bit broken

Ascendancies give you a couple options. Elementalist gives you some reflect protection and 0% damage penalty Elemental Proliferation for free. Deadeye gives you a bigger blast radius and a free projectile. There was even a Juggernaut one posted here a page or two ago.

Deadeye one looks choice.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Speaking of nerf. Do we know what they're doing to CoC because chris said it would be getting some love. Or do we just wait till patch notes?

California fan meetup was told that it's probably getting some sort of longer cooldown, on the order of 1s or something like that.
I was not actually there, this is just what I've heard.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I never got around to screwing with the new phys damage spells, so I wanted to try one out of the gate in the upcoming leagues. Given how often it comes up in build discussions, bladefall sounds way too strong and the mechanics don't seem too interesting anyway. Blade vortex on the other hand is pretty unique. I'm strongly leaning toward a blade vortex pathfinder for the huge defense potential in hardcore, specifically with this setup here

-110% skill duration gives big double dipping potential for vaal auras, poison, smoke mine, probably something else I'm forgetting
-50%+ crit rate after gear and charges means ~5 flask charges per second per target while maxed out at 50 blades. That's pretty much permanent flask uptime even against a single boss
-permanent flask uptime means permanent poison, which frees up a socket
-pretty good amount of life and evasion with IR, keeping in mind constant life/jade/basalt spam

How exactly are you going to get to 50 blades through self-casting?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Two main problems with Bladefall over other similar area skills (Firestorm, Blast Rain, etc):

1.) Sets up absolutely perfectly for double dipping poison shenanigans, especially with the Shadow start nodes
2.) Bladefall has utterly ridiculous base damage

Bladefall trap is so much better than any other trap build right now that you're basically gimping yourself if you don't use it in a trap build

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 23, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

whypick1 posted:

spell echo, duration nodes, inc duration gem, and faster casting

Holyshoot posted:

Deadeye one looks choice.

i would go elementalist for the free shock and ignite from shaper of desolation imo

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Faster casting and spell echo gets you to 6-ish casts per second. With the ~11 second duration you can pretty easily maintain around 30-40 off of self casting. 50 is doable but requires a lot of standing in place which would only be suitable (or needed) for bosses, though obviously not every boss allows for that kind of immobility.

With poison not requiring a socket, increased duration is a possibility when a 5 or 6 link rolls around, at least as a conditional swap-in for added fire. 17 seconds would definitely allow you stay near max.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Vaal haste+vaal clarity, whirl and one shot a ton of packs, both are back up when you need them again. Repeat.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, I'm looking forward to having flasks and vaal auras up almost permanently. Might try a blood of corruption for some bosses. 15.6 second gluttony of elements is enough time to kill nearly anything in the game so far except izaro and atziri.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bugsy posted:

Still need to get 2 more challenges to get to 24, then its time to get a few more fated uniques done.

Wow not going for tiny monkey

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If I can get that monkey, you can too :colbert:

vvv I skipped div cards (did not have that much ex), boss map drops (too grindy), 8 mods (probably could've done this, but could get expensive) and grinds (super-grindy, obviously).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 23, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Jusupov posted:

Wow not going for tiny monkey

I need to clear a bunch of lowass unid maps and trade for a bunch of lovely divination cards, its annoying

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

If I can get that monkey, you can too :colbert:

vvv I skipped div cards (did not have that much ex), boss map drops (too grindy), 8 mods (probably could've done this, but could get expensive) and grinds (super-grindy, obviously).

8 mods is actually easy since it's not the full 15 tiers (but you do have to invest some c into vaal orbs)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

My problem was getting the Vaals to actually give me 8 goddamn mods, hence the "could get expensive".

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
i bought all the 8 mods i needed for 2-3c each lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How do map trials work? I saw three in short order, didn't get anything out of them, and then haven't seen another one in like two dozen maps

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hang around on public chat 820 to pick your missing trials (assuming that's why you're asking). I found them to be rather feast-or-famine in terms of frequency.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So what happens once you complete all 6 different ones- you still have to get keys out of them, right? I was worried there was some level restriction to them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You do the 6 different trials, the item that the trial plaque at the end of the trial is the item you throw into the map device when you're attuned. You use one offering per attempt at uber lab.

You then run every trial you see for additional offerings.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Once you get all 6 you can use an Offering to run Uber Lab. If you want to keep running Uber Lab you need to either trade for more Offerings or run into more Trials in maps.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

whypick1 posted:

My problem was getting the Vaals to actually give me 8 goddamn mods, hence the "could get expensive".

Just in case you or anyone else is trying to do this one by just slamming maps with vaal orbs, I will leave a pro tip here: Make sure you get the map yellow with a bunch of mods ~before~ you slam it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fixed a bug with gaining bonus flask charges on critical strike with Blade Vortex.

bv gets flask charges on crit again with the pathfinder surgeon node

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

The March Hare posted:

Just in case you or anyone else is trying to do this one by just slamming maps with vaal orbs, I will leave a pro tip here: Make sure you get the map yellow with a bunch of mods ~before~ you slam it.

I thought it was enough that is was rare. When I made my 8 mod maps it was always a complete reroll.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yep, if they do a reroll, it's a complete reroll (unless the Wiki is lying :argh:).

After a bunch of "un-ID the map" and "do nothing" rolls I went gently caress it and skipped that challenge. At least full clearing all tiers of twinned maps got me the achievement for full-clearing Colosseum (and 10% of one half of the endgame grind that I was never going to complete anyway :v:).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

killstealing posted:

Fixed a bug with gaining bonus flask charges on critical strike with Blade Vortex.

bv gets flask charges on crit again with the pathfinder surgeon node

btw ghudda's been campaigning hard against the BV Pathfinder combo (well atleast the "busted" components BV and Rumi's), I have a feeling that will be nerfed

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Some details on the Atlas posted by Chris:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1714099

quote:

Unique maps work the same as other maps. They only drop in maps they are connected to on the Atlas until you have completed them once. Then they drop as normal. As missions, Zana can offer you unique maps that you haven't unlocked yet. These may be lower level than the level of the actual unique map is now.

quote:

When a map has been completed, it becomes available to drop in other maps, regardless of whether they're connected. (The regular rules still apply, so the highest map you can get from an area is two tiers above that area).

Usually completion means just killing the boss of the map, but for certain unique maps without bosses, it means opening a specific unique chest.

Completing Zana missions doesn't count as map completion on the Atlas.

The section on Shaper's Orbs is also worth reading.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Did they explain what "unlocked" maps mean? - killing the map boss, full clearing, or just entering it?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I believe that refers to completion, which is explained in the following quote.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
so if I never complete Tier1 maps except Dungeon... 6 Link Farming Ahoy!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Tier 1 is exempt from that restriction.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hamburger Test posted:

Tier 1 is exempt from that restriction.

rip

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
You could probably set yourself up to get mostly your favorite maps by buying and completing certain ones strategically. Buy a Gorge, Canyon, Strand and complete no others of those tiers. And if there are no T7s you like, just complete the one that upgrades to Canyon.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

The Real Foogla posted:

so if I never complete Tier1 maps except Dungeon... 6 Link Farming Ahoy!

wait, how are 6 links related

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ronya posted:

wait, how are 6 links related

yeah I meant Crypt (Celestial Justicar) so double rip I guess

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Hamburger Test posted:

I thought it was enough that is was rare. When I made my 8 mod maps it was always a complete reroll.

That's true but if you un-id it it will retain affixes, so it's best to have a high quant etc map before slamming it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The cumulative map quantity bonus is both cool and good.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i run CWDT - EK - Bladefall - Iron WIll just for an extra gently caress off since I have slots?
Or do I need to take out one and put the other in a spell totem to make it work?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That's a legal setup. Just remember CWDT's level threshold for EK and Bladefall. Iron Will you can keep leveled since CWDT only affects active gems, not supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, CWDT's level limit makes it a generally poor choice for linking to damage spells.

• Locked thread