Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A minor edit.

Oops... I'll look for some tax.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

Eve also has a tickrate of 1, the way SC's server/client relationship currently works that would give players the very, very cinematic fps of 1

Dilation actually reduces the tick, doesn't it? I've been out of Eve for a very long time now.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm writing a Derek and Wulf screenplay so Marching Powder notices me.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Big K of Justice posted:

Has cig ever mentioned how they are going to handle the network backed?

It's a glaring elephant in the room.

Companies that depend on network play often have to have substantial network infrastructure ... From rolling their own backbones and data centers to partnering with ISPs and making sure they are upgraded and can handle the traffic (I've worked for developers that paid other ISPs to upgrade their data enters and to make sure the upgrades prioritize their traffic).

It looks like from my perspective, this isn't really a consideration or they'll hire a 3rd party company to figure it out ...

My understanding is that Moore's law will take care of all the networking concerns, probably. Other than that, they currently have 4 or 5 people refactoring CryEngine's netcode and many open positions.

At least that's what Croberts has been saying.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 25, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

Careful fellas, it looks like another drone has managed to find it's way out of the echo chamber and is now trying to spread it's vile bile around. Here's a loving message to you you useless pile of meat: You failed, you had your chance when CIG was keeping a low profile but that's over now. We've seen 3.0, it's real and it's better than anything we've ever seen. So listen up, you can just crawl back to the dilapidated hive from which you came from. No one believes your poo poo anymore, the mood has changed in and around the community. People from all over are coming to witness the greatness that we always knew was coming. This is going to be the MOST profitable year for SC and there's nothing you losers can do about it. Maybe you all should go make your own game since you seem to know so much about programming, after all, weren't you all certain that what we saw at Gamescom was supposed to be impossible?

is this from the 'I've made a terrible mistake, game is awesome after all and I want my account back' thread?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not following. They never said, "Oh, well, we're trying or thinking of developing this tech." They said that they're just about finished with it and already have several planets in our dev build. That dev build evolved into the demo we saw at Gamescom and no doubt will evolve into something playable by 3.0.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The Wulf and the Warlord

FADE IN:

INT. WULF'S LIVING ROOM
WULF, a generic sock puppet with a fedora and a small white peice of paper taped to his crotch. He sounds pathetic. He sits at his computer browsing the RSI website. He is surrounded by framed pictures of .JPEGs with a large painting of CHRIS ROBERTS hanging above the mantel.

WULF
(sobbing quietly)
Why me? Where did I go wrong?

Wulf's moping is interupted as a plume of smoke explodes behind him.
WULF
W-what!? What was that?

The smoke clears to reveal loving DEREK SMART.
DEREK SMART, looks like a cartoonish vampire with green skin. He definitely has a cape. His lips need to be permanently pursed or whatever he's doing in this picture http://i.imgur.com/HZSPEU5.png He sounds like Dick Dastardly. He says, "I'm Derek Smart" at every opportunity but usually mispronounces it as Derple Splart or something.

DEREK
It is I, Dyarek Smert.

WULF
What the hell? How did you get in here? How did you find out where I live?

DEREK
Several years ago you made a post on Twitter with your name, address, date of birth, mother's maiden name, name of your first pet, Social Securit-

Wulf interjects.
WULF
That information is private! You can't just look on Twitter like that! I'm repor-

Derek interjects.
DEREK
Let me loving finish! I've read all your tweets, all your posts, everything! I've seen it all! Did you really think you could just slander me and get away with it? Now the time has come for you to feel the true might of an Internet Warlord.

Derek grabs a picture of a special edition Idris-M Frigate with LTI off the wall and flicks open a lighter.
DEREK
I told you I'd do it. I'll burn every .JPEG you have!

WULF
Noooo! I spent $5,000 on that, you can't.

Wulf lunges at Derek. They both tumble to the ground in a brawl. Wulf gets on top of Derek and begins to pummle him with a barrage of limp-wristed slaps. Derek pushes him off. Wulf's head hits the bottom of an empty shelf labeled "gently caress Trophies" and it falls on top Wulf's head knocking him unconscious.

DISSOLVE:

INT. DEREK'S LAIR
Spooky cave lit only by the monitors scattered around the perimeter. We see Wulf tied up to a computer chair in some sort of Clockwork Orange Ludovico device.
Wulf wakes up to find Derek looming over him menacingly.

DEREK
Oh good, finally up I see.

WULF
Where am I? What are you doing? What is all this?

DEREK

You didn't think I'd just let you off the hook after saying all those things about me, did you? Not to mention all the women you've harassed. Now it's time to pay. You will feel the full wrath of DiGiorno Salt!

WULF
What are you going to do? I've already had shock therapy. I'm not afraid of you.

DEREK
We'll see.

Derek makes his way to the computer and begins to type a URL.

WULF
What are you doing? What is that?

DEREK
(typing)
https://www.derek

WULF
No. Please not that.

DEREK
(typing)
smart.org

WULF
Please, no!

DEREK
As punishment for your crimes-

WULF
(crying)
Derek I admit it! I was just so lonely!

DEREK

I'm going to force you to read-

WULF
(crying)
I said those things I sent that girl those pictures!

DEREK
every blog I've ever made!

WULF
(screaming)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FADE OUT:

To be continued...

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

How many fucktrophies do you have commando?

You really should ignore people who talk about the netcode, it's one of the more obvious distraction tactics the more unsavory anti-SC trolls like to use. The standard CryEngine netcode is indeed bad for massive and complex games like Star Citizen. What they always forget to mention (i wonder why lol) is that the netcode is being refactored as we speak. The ex-CryEngine coders are rewriting the entire network stack to make sure we get the largest battles and best possible performance. With 3.0 we will most likely see the first iteration of the new netcode and networking system and my personal bet is that it's going to blow all other MMOs out of the water. For the first time we'll see a game that can do both scale and precision without compromise.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

The Wulf and the Warlord

FADE IN:

INT. WULF'S LIVING ROOM
WULF, a generic sock puppet with a fedora and a small white peice of paper taped to his crotch. He sounds pathetic. He sits at his computer browsing the RSI website. He is surrounded by framed pictures of .JPEGs with a large painting of CHRIS ROBERTS hanging above the mantel.

WULF
(sobbing quietly)
Why me? Where did I go wrong?

Wulf's moping is interupted as a plume of smoke explodes behind him.
WULF
W-what!? What was that?

The smoke clears to reveal loving DEREK SMART.
DEREK SMART, looks like a cartoonish vampire with green skin. He definitely has a cape. His lips need to be permanently pursed or whatever he's doing in this picture http://i.imgur.com/HZSPEU5.png He sounds like Dick Dastardly. He says, "I'm Derek Smart" at every opportunity but usually mispronounces it as Derple Splart or something.

DEREK
It is I, Dyarek Smert.

WULF
What the hell? How did you get in here? How did you find out where I live?

DEREK
Several years ago you made a post on Twitter with your name, address, date of birth, mother's maiden name, name of your first pet, Social Securit-

Wulf interjects.
WULF
That information is private! You can't just look on Twitter like that! I'm repor-

Derek interjects.
DEREK
Let me loving finish! I've read all your tweets, all your posts, everything! I've seen it all! Did you really think you could just slander me and get away with it? Now the time has come for you to feel the true might of an Internet Warlord.

Derek grabs a picture of a special edition Idris-M Frigate with LTI off the wall and flicks open a lighter.
DEREK
I told you I'd do it. I'll burn every .JPEG you have!

WULF
Noooo! I spent $5,000 on that, you can't.

Wulf lunges at Derek. They both tumble to the ground in a brawl. Wulf gets on top of Derek and begins to pummle him with a barrage of limp-wristed slaps. Derek pushes him off. Wulf's head hits the bottom of an empty shelf labeled "gently caress Trophies" and it falls on top Wulf's head knocking him unconscious.

DISSOLVE:

INT. DEREK'S LAIR
Spooky cave lit only by the monitors scattered around the perimeter. We see Wulf tied up to a computer chair in some sort of Clockwork Orange Ludovico device.
Wulf wakes up to find Derek looming over him menacingly.

DEREK
Oh good, finally up I see.

WULF
Where am I? What are you doing? What is all this?

DEREK

You didn't think I'd just let you off the hook after saying all those things about me, did you? Not to mention all the women you've harassed. Now it's time to pay. You will feel the full wrath of DiGiorno Salt!

WULF
What are you going to do? I've already had shock therapy. I'm not afraid of you.

DEREK
We'll see.

Derek makes his way to the computer and begins to type a URL.

WULF
What are you doing? What is that?

DEREK
(typing)
https://www.derek

WULF
No. Please not that.

DEREK
(typing)
smart.org

WULF
Please, no!

DEREK
As punishment for your crimes-

WULF
(crying)
Derek I admit it! I was just so lonely!

DEREK

I'm going to force you to read-

WULF
(crying)
I said those things I sent that girl those pictures!

DEREK
every blog I've ever made!

WULF
(screaming)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FADE OUT:

To be continued...

:cry: it's beautiful... BEAUTIFUL

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

WTF is this guy wearing?

Oh poo poo, the Gimp got out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MilesK posted:

My understanding is that Moore's law will take care of all the networking concerns, probably.

No, it won't. Entirely different things. Moore's law is computing power, networking is about moving packets as quickly as possible to the correct destination (and maybe the right order, depending).

There are physical limitations in bandwidth that come down to the medium, and while you can do some great things through sharding, there still comes a time when the laws of physics play a very large role.

I'll guarantee you that they need to come off AWS hardware, though.

kikkelivelho posted:

For the first time we'll see a game that can do both scale and precision without compromise.

Laws of physics.

Also, "rewriting the entire network stack" is not a thing. I mean, holy gently caress, reimplementing UDP?

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Dilation actually reduces the tick, doesn't it? I've been out of Eve for a very long time now.

Yes. Ostensibly, it has a tickrate of somewhere between 0.1–1.0, but in reality, the dilation can actually go lower than 10% speed when you factor in the processing lag that will still occur at massive loads.

In fact, they can actually use dilation to speed up the tick rate — they've done that on the test servers to test tick-based that would otherwise take ages to get through — but they don't do that on the live servers for obvious reasons.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 25, 2016

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

kikkelivelho posted:

the netcode is being refactored as we speak.

code:
gameloopstart:
  sendPacket(fuckingPacket);
  if (getCryEngine().players[playerName].getHaelth() > 0){
    println("got here??");
    goto gameloopstart;;
  }
code:
// Refactored by Ben Lesnick, Developer on August the 12th of September
do {
  sendPacket(playerData);
 } while (starEngine.playerAlive(playerName));
// UPDATED: EXTRA END BRACE REMOVED

Flarpy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 25, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

You really should ignore people who talk about the netcode, it's one of the more obvious distraction tactics the more unsavory anti-SC trolls like to use. The standard CryEngine netcode is indeed bad for massive and complex games like Star Citizen. What they always forget to mention (i wonder why lol) is that the netcode is being refactored as we speak. The ex-CryEngine coders are rewriting the entire network stack to make sure we get the largest battles and best possible performance. With 3.0 we will most likely see the first iteration of the new netcode and networking system and my personal bet is that it's going to blow all other MMOs out of the water. For the first time we'll see a game that can do both scale and precision without compromise.

This is awesome.

"The guys who wrote the really lovely netcode are BACK and they are writing it again"

This inspires the utmost confidence in shitizens.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Flarpy posted:

code:
gameloopstart:
  sendPacket(fuckingPacket);
  if (getCryEngine().players[playerName].getHaelth() > 0){
    println("got here??");
    goto gameloopstart;;
  }

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Hav posted:

and while you can do some great things through sharding

:blush:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

spacetoaster posted:

New Around the Verse up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4hdRXOdfWg

I didn't think anyone could be worse on camera than Ben and Sandi, welp.

drat, the bad guy from XXX has put on some weight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Derek "I've had that vision too" Smart

nice

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Hav posted:

No, it won't. Entirely different things. Moore's law is computing power, networking is about moving packets as quickly as possible to the correct destination (and maybe the right order, depending).

There are physical limitations in bandwidth that come down to the medium, and while you can do some great things through sharding, there still comes a time when the laws of physics play a very large role.

Laws of physics.

Also, "rewriting the entire network stack" is not a thing. I mean, holy gently caress, reimplementing UDP?
All citizens just need to live within 2 miles of the star citizen datacenter with direct fiber connections to the DC

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kikkelivelho posted:

Careful fellas, it looks like another drone has managed to find it's way out of the echo chamber and is now trying to spread it's vile bile around. Here's a loving message to you you useless pile of meat: You failed, you had your chance when CIG was keeping a low profile but that's over now. We've seen 3.0, it's real and it's better than anything we've ever seen. So listen up, you can just crawl back to the dilapidated hive from which you came from. No one believes your poo poo anymore, the mood has changed in and around the community. People from all over are coming to witness the greatness that we always knew was coming. This is going to be the MOST profitable year for SC and there's nothing you losers can do about it. Maybe you all should go make your own game since you seem to know so much about programming, after all, weren't you all certain that what we saw at Gamescom was supposed to be impossible?

I wanna look this guy in the eyes when Chris turns the lights off

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What's this guy's most likely Shitizen name? Pussydestroya69420?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Hav posted:

Laws of physics.

Sorry, I just mixed up the kickstarter pitch video's claim the game would be possible thanks to Moore's law with this recent statement.

quote:

Question 5 | B/t hardware/network infrastructure, which one would Star Citizen most benefit from a major advance?

This constantly flip flops. Today it would be network, because we already have processors and methods which can do more work and generate more output than we can effectively ‘move around, but both fields are advancing so rapidly that it is probably only a temporary situation.

It was maybe a few months ago that Chris begged for talented network engineers during 10ftc

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, I'm done.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

OK, I'm done.

Doubt it…

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

kikkelivelho posted:

Oh go refactor your fat head, you old goat

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016
Good night haters! :wave:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Honestly, seeing pictures of those Shitizens at Gamescom makes me really sad.

Because it means that most of the leavers in this thread probably look just like those loving rejects. The only difference is you lot received refunds.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SelenicMartian posted:

What's this guy's most likely Shitizen name? Pussydestroya69420?

Whenever I see someone vehemently defending Star Citizen with a lot of bluster and tough talk, I picture this guy.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I'm excluding myself from that categorization because I was only ever in for $125, which makes me completely normal, relatively speaking.

At $8K, MoMA must look like Sloth from The Goonies.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Barn Folk posted:

Whenever I see someone vehemently defending Star Citizen with a lot of bluster and tough talk, I picture this guy.

He looks pretty soft spoken, and for what we know the guy on the right might be an ogre.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D1E posted:

Honestly, seeing pictures of those Shitizens at Gamescom makes me really sad.

Because it means that most of the leavers in this thread probably look just like those loving rejects. The only difference is you lot received refunds.

If you had to choose, would you rather be a hideous goblin or a hideous goblin with four thousand dollars?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

D1E posted:

I'm excluding myself from that categorization because I was only ever in for $125, which makes me completely normal, relatively speaking.

At $8K, MoMA must look like Sloth from The Goonies.

Shocker, white nerds not exactly physically attractive. You yourself would have that problem as well without the kickass hat.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

The look on their faces as their lord shows them wonders...

And Chris and Sandi had a freaking table set up for signing autographs?? :psyduck:

#notacult

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Barn Folk posted:

If you had to choose, would you rather be a hideous goblin or a hideous goblin with four thousand dollars?

In both cases I'd rather have a stolen pair of shoes or a plump lamb to take back to my swampy lair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Drunk Theory posted:

Shocker, white nerds not exactly physically attractive. You yourself would have that problem as well without the kickass hat.

Touched a nerve I see.

And my cats happen to think I'm very good-looking.

• Locked thread