Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of diversity, I hope Bunker doesn''t just disappear or get killed off. He's one of the few new Teen Titans I think is any decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's super boring and they've done nothing with the character, and instead of importing ideas that the Teen Titans cartoon implemented to make Cyborg interesting - made him goofier, more relaxed, more willing to look at his whole situation/robo-body as a blessing over a curse, they made him a Stoic Serious Black Man (and thus, virtually nonexistent). It's also a situation where he's, to use wrestling parlance, being pushed despite not "deserving" it, so where he's suddenly a founding member despite being as interesting as unsalted oatmeal.

Like, the Teen Titans cartoon was probably the single best and most effective characterization for all to near-all of the characters who starred in it (Robin excepted, depending on which one he was...was it ever confirmed?), and definitely for Cyborg, and yet has had no impact or actively negative impact on those characters moving forward. It's weird.

You know how people often characterize the post-Crisis JL as "The most powerful superhumans in the universe...and also, Hawkman is there"? Cyborg's kinda like that, but it's worse because it's reflective of DC's issues with minority representation so smells simultaneously of both tokenism and the fact that DC seems to be trying desperately to appear not-racist (despite massive issues with erasure and LGBT-phobia in their recent past) and in so doing have made it so Cyborg's just sorta extant without being effective or interesting. There seems to be an editorial imperative that Cyborg's gotta be Handled Right because he's the only black guy there, but as a result it means nothing interesting or dramatic happens to him because they're so afraid of being seen as racist. Meanwhile, white Wally West reappears in an event issue that literally goes "Hey, you know that universe where Wally West was black? It was broken and wrong, we hosed up! Whoops! Here's the white guys again!"

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 26, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New page. Shut the gently caress up about Cyborg.

Roth posted:

Speaking of diversity, I hope Bunker doesn''t just disappear or get killed off. He's one of the few new Teen Titans I think is any decent.

It looks like the TTs will be paired down to Damian, Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven and N52Wally. That is a shame. I liked Bunker and Beast Boy's relationship in the issues I tried of the Will Pfeifer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

He's super boring and they've done nothing with the character, and instead of importing ideas that the Teen Titans cartoon implemented to make Cyborg interesting - made him goofier, more relaxed, more willing to look at his situation robo-body as a blessing over a curse, they made him a Stoic Serious Black Man (and thus, virtually nonexistent). It's also a situation where he's, to use wrestling parlance, being pushed despite not "deserving" it, so where he's suddenly a founding member despite being as interesting as unsalted oatmeal.

You know how people often characterize the post-Crisis JL as "The most powerful superhumans in the universe...and also, Hawkman is there"? Cyborg's kinda like that, but it's worse because it's reflective of DC's issues with minority representation so smells simultaneously of both tokenism and the fact that DC seems to be trying desperately to appear not-racist (despite massive issues with erasure and LGBT-phobia in their recent past) and in so doing have made it so Cyborg's just sorta extant without being effective or interesting. There seems to be an editorial imperative that Cyborg's gotta be Handled Right because he's the only black guy there, but as a result it means nothing interesting or dramatic happens to him because they're so afraid of being seen as racist. Meanwhile, white Wally West reappears in an event issue that literally goes "Hey, you know that universe where Wally West was black? It was broken and wrong, we hosed up! Whoops! Here's the white guys again!"

His ongoing was actually pretty great and he was starting to get over his stick-up-his-rear end attitude since he could make himself look totally human.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

It looks like the TTs will be paired down to Damian, Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven and N52Wally. That is a shame. I liked Bunker and Beast Boy's relationship in the issues I tried of the Will Pfeifer.

See, now they need a token to replace Cyborg in the cartoon TT lineup! That's crazy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

New page. Shut the gently caress up about Cyborg.

I remember hearing there's supposed to be a sixth member they haven't revealed yet, so I guess it could be him, but it could also be somebody like Emiko or Aqualad.

Also, having read all the way up to the latest issue of the latest Teen Titans series, Beast Boy's friendships with Bunker and Raven are the only relationships that feel like they're more than just acquaintances to me. Everybody else is just kinda there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watch your screeds, Toxx.

Toxxupation posted:

"Hey, you know that universe where Wally West was black? It was broken and wrong..."

Toxxupation posted:

but as a result it means nothing interesting or dramatic happens to him

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Toxxupation posted:

Like, the Teen Titans cartoon was probably the single best and most effective characterization for all to near-all of the characters who starred in it (Robin excepted, depending on which one he was...was it ever confirmed?), and definitely for Cyborg, and yet has had no impact or actively negative impact on those characters moving forward. It's weird.

Pretty sure it was Dick because one of the few episodes I saw was where someone goes to the future and Robin is Nightwing now. Also it was heavily influenced by Marv Wolfman's run which naturally featured Dick.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was Dick.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Toxxupation posted:

Is anyone else on the verge of dropping Wacky Raceland like me? Because I feel like the idea of "Mad Max meets Wacky Races" is super played out (Which is weird, because it shouldn't be, and the cars talking actually adds a lot of character and I even sorta liked the weird if very hamfisted debate about theology as they were racing to open the issue) and I'm already kind of unbelievably bored with the similarly tragic backstories. Also it has a "Character's name is Dick so we're gonna make a bunch of jokes where someone's about to say something lewd or swear with the word 'dick' in it in some way but instead what happens is they're cut off by shouting Dick's name" puns. I hate those.

Also, for something as weirdly specific as what I just wrote "Character's name is Dick so we're gonna make a bunch of jokes where someone's about to say something lewd or swear with the word 'dick' in it in some way but instead what happens is they're cut off by shouting Dick's name" is a pretty common comics joke.

I think I might be, too, yeah. Somehow the issues feel really busy but in an overwhelming way to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, that's more my point, really. It's not that DC's aggressively racist or anything - I don't think DC's done anything as outright repugnant as that Batwoman horseshit which is still the reason I haven't read or bought any part of N52 Batwoman, where it's clear homophobia driving an editorial fiat - it's more that DC does a lot of accidentally regressive poo poo in the process of trying desperately to improve their self-image. I don't think DC, as an organization or the creative that currently leads them, has hate in their hearts for black people, but when you have a comic written by Geoff Johns that metatextually apologizes for the universe created within the last five years, that metatextually states that the N52 was a mistake and was broken, when one of the largest and loudest criticisms previously levelled against the N52 was the elimination of Wally West from the universe and his replacement with a character that most people didn't like and didn't, personality-wise, resemble Wally West in any way, never mind his race, you are implicitly stating that black Wally West was a mistake. You even see it in that image - ostensibly speaking, black Wally shouldn't even need to be validated by white Wally, and the fact that he is is due entirely to the fact that Rebirth 1 is a Wally West story about how Wally West never existed and how it sure does suck that Wally West is gone but wait Wally West is back please please please buy our comics again, we hosed up.

It's more a statement on how DC is really reactionary and in the process ends up accidentally doing a bunch of stuff that looks really bad when it's actually thought through at all. I'd analogize the current two Wallys problem with how the House of Ideas is addressing two Spider-Men running around, one of them being a black teenager. The analogy even works further when you think about Miles running around the current 616 due entirely to a failed universe being scrapped and more or less picked clean for what worked that then got wedged into the main product via, more or less, a reboot - but instead of separating out the two Wallys onto different books as DC is currently doing with no acknowledgement of the weirdness, Bendis is making the perception of Miles a running throughline of his book - specifically, his discomfort with being characterized as the "black Spider-Man". It's an approach that feels honest and willing to take chances and wants to have a dialog about race, over DC's which often feels like it's just trying to get back into everyone's good graces and in the process does stuff that looks kinda bad from the outside.

And I actually really like to kinda love Rebirth, it's the most I've ever been interested in DC ever and I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to stuff like Superman and Wonder Woman and Titans, but I do feel like we're getting it at the cost of very real erasure/marginalization of POC superheroes. DC's a very white company right now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Pretty sure it was Dick because one of the few episodes I saw was where someone goes to the future and Robin is Nightwing now. Also it was heavily influenced by Marv Wolfman's run which naturally featured Dick.

Roth posted:

It was Dick.

Huh. I figured it was Tim, what with the staff, the hair and Jason Todd being back and villainous (he's floated as possibly being Red X). But then again, I never caught too much of the show because we didn't have cable so I had to catch it in syndication.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He's Dick if you want a "real" answer, but technically he was supposed to be a generic amalgamation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I don't think DC's done anything as outright repugnant as that Batwoman horseshit which is still the reason I haven't read or bought any part of N52 Batwoman

Well, nota bene: the original creative team of Batwoman walked off the book after that horseshit, I really think you can read the JH Williams III issues with a clear conscience. Plus they're fantastic comics. I mean if you're upset about giving the editors money, you better not buy any DC comics whatsoever.

Or honestly, not buy anything anywhere ever, because I guarantee somebody evil is making money off of it at some level.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I know that they walked off in protest, but it's more that everyone I've heard who talked about it positively also said that the N52 Batwoman run that's not hot loving garbage ends mid-story due to the walk-off, and I have a shitload of comics to read that are actually complete. Like, I still haven't read Elegy, and I feel Actually Bad about not reading that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I know that they walked off in protest, but it's more that everyone I've heard who talked about it positively also said that the N52 Batwoman run that's not hot loving garbage ends mid-story due to the walk-off, and I have a shitload of comics to read that are actually complete. Like, I still haven't read Elegy, and I feel Actually Bad about not reading that.

If you stop at the end of the Wonder Woman team-up arc, and treat that as the ending to the series, you'll do fine. In trades I think it's volume 3, World's Finest.

But yeah you should deffo read Elegy.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Darth Nat posted:

He's dead, Jim. But seriously, that's the only way I can see this going, what with the rumor that DC wants to kill off another Robin, the final cover of this arc being everyone looking sad at a random bad dude who's clearly a placeholder for another character, and the next arc centering around Steph being mad at Batman.

Maybe Tim will fake his death or something? I doubt Tynion will leave him gone for long, since he's his favorite character.

Actually, I think the big twist of the arc will be that the army men were completely right about the League of Shadows existing. Everybody could be mad at Batman since he led them into open conflict with the government partially over bad info.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Andreyko wrote an Annual which wrapped up the original story. Not that that's ideal, but it didn't do a bad job. That last arc's artist returned for it.

You should totally read that run.

e: and yeah, the WW team-up might be some of the best comics you'll ever see.
You should definitely do it if you're reading Detective Comics to see the time spent working with her dad.

e:Andreyko not Pfeifer

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 26, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's the reading order for the JH Williams, non-horrible and rapey N52 Batwoman stuff?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

What's the reading order for the JH Williams, non-horrible and rapey N52 Batwoman stuff?

It's just the N52 Batwoman series, starting at #1 (or #0 if you want to get picky).

The last JH Williams III issue is #24, followed by Annual #1 if you want to complete that story. The annual is written by Marc Andreyko, who is the guy responsible for the horrible rapey issues after Williams III departs, so, you know. Grain of salt. In trades this is Vol. 4 This Blood Is Thick, but the trade does not include the Annual so it's missing the conclusion. This Blood Is Thick also mostly has JH Williams III on writing, not art, so it's not as pretty as the rest of the series. He's got a good bead on the character though.

The Wonder Woman arc ends at issue # 17 and while it does technically end on a cliffhanger I think it's a fine place to leave off at if you don't want to bother with the walk-off. I suppose the Annual is a good enough ending to the story but I imagine it would have been a lot better under Williams III. This is trades 1-3.

Don't read anything past issue #25. It's a pretty uninspired Zero Year tie-in that you should absolutely not bother with but it's not actively offensive like issue #26 onward is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: What he said.

There was actually an earlier #0 in 2011 before the series got shifted to the N52 and it looks like the only way to get that on Comixology is in the first trade.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Travis343 posted:

It's just the N52 Batwoman series, starting at #1 (or #0 if you want to get picky).

The last JH Williams III issue is #24, followed by Annual #1 if you want to complete that story. The annual is written by Marc Andreyko, who is the guy responsible for the horrible rapey issues after Williams III departs, so, you know. Grain of salt. In trades this is Vol. 4 This Blood Is Thick, but the trade does not include the Annual so it's missing the conclusion. This Blood Is Thick also mostly has JH Williams III on writing, not art, so it's not as pretty as the rest of the series. He's got a good bead on the character though.

The Wonder Woman arc ends at issue # 17 and while it does technically end on a cliffhanger I think it's a fine place to leave off at if you don't want to bother with the walk-off. I suppose the Annual is a good enough ending to the story but I imagine it would have been a lot better under Williams III. This is trades 1-3.

Don't read anything past issue #25. It's a pretty uninspired Zero Year tie-in that you should absolutely not bother with but it's not actively offensive like issue #26 onward is.

Really disappointed to hear that Andreyko poo poo the bed. I absolutely loved his Manhunter run and always assumed he would become a rising star like Lemire and Fraction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The funny thing is that he had the idea to team her up with Clayface first.

Her weirdo monsters team could have worked if he didn't do the vampire issues first and sour everyone.
Not that the last issues were great, but it was a fun group.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 26, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a shame as there is a good story buried in Andreyko's stuff. The Unknowns are one of the most ingeniously bizarre teams I've read about in comics and this by all means should be a rad loving story - Batwoman and her crazy sister team up with Clayface, Ragman, and Etrigan and they all go into outer space to stop Morgan le Fay - but it's handled so terribly and you have to wade through a swamp of lesbian vampire rapists to get to it. Maybe next reboot somebody will retell it better.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Toxxupation posted:

Meanwhile, white Wally West reappears in an event issue that literally goes "Hey, you know that universe where Wally West was black? It was broken and wrong, we hosed up! Whoops! Here's the white guys again!"

Speaking out of your rear end about this one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Crossposting this from the Batman thread because I assume some of y'all would want to vote on this:

Toxxupation posted:

A couple of weeks ago, someone mentioned that the three best Batman stories are TKJ/TDKR/Year One (or, that if you were to quiz a random person that's what would be presented). I'm interested in testing that, so made up a strawpoll so everyone can choose what they consider to be the three "best" Batman stories. I think I've covered pretty much every conceivable choice one could realistically make, so go crazy.

Anyways, here's the link.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:crossarms:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

Crossposting this from the Batman thread because I assume some of y'all would want to vote on this:

No Gates of Gotham, did not vote. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

No No Man's Land? Side note, supervillains should be called " no-no men" or "no-no mans".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It's too good for this world. Or any other.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Anyway, I checked out Superwoman and rather dug it, it's only Rebirth book that's caught my attention in the slightest. How come no one can see Lois' face, though, is she actually doing that goofy/brilliant Silver Age thing of moving/vibrating her head so fast it's a blurry mess?

I believe that's the implication. The idea seems to be that N52 Lana helped Clark figure out his powers, and Lois knows that, so Lana has helped her figure out how to do all of Clark's normal tricks, including the face blur. She knows HOW to do heat vision and cold breath and X-ray vision and control her senses, she's just inexperienced at the when.

I assume Lana's face is just static, bloom and lens flare, given how her powers work.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
comixology has started adding Guy Gardner: Reborn. This would mean they have plans to add his 90s series. They also started adding the late 80s Manhunter.

Red Tornado (80s) and The War of the Gods crossover were started a couple weeks ago too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

comixology has started adding Guy Gardner: Reborn.

AAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'd like someone to read the Shaw Manhunter series and tell me if it's any good, or if I have warped memories because I thought the character looked super cool and decided his comics must be cool and good qed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Squizzle posted:

I'd like someone to read the Shaw Manhunter series and tell me if it's any good, or if I have warped memories because I thought the character looked super cool and decided his comics must be cool and good qed.

there is a good chance it is good because it came out in that sweet spot of DC late 80s early 90s when everything seems to be really good. plus ostarander co wrote.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teen Titans Rebirth preview http://www.newsarama.com/30814-kid-flash-steps-out-of-the-pack-in-teen-titans-rebirth-1-preview.html

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still want to know if they actually de-aged Raven yet again or if that's just how that artist is drawing the character.

My only other concern is if the series does Batgod: Damian Edition, because the concept of Damian managing to kidnap Kid Flash, Beast Boy, Raven, and Starfire already feels like character wank to me.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Roth posted:

I still want to know if they actually de-aged Raven yet again or if that's just how that artist is drawing the character.

My only other concern is if the series does Batgod: Damian Edition, because the concept of Damian managing to kidnap Kid Flash, Beast Boy, Raven, and Starfire already feels like character wank to me.

I mean she was old enough to be a Teen Titan for the last few months so I don't see what changed now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just feel like it would be lame if they de-aged her from, like, 17 down to 13 for no discernible reason. I kinda doubt they actually did do that though, but I've seen enough people say that they did without any definitive answer about it, that I just want to see it put to rest already.

That said, her new costume is by far better than the New 52 design. That thing was horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

The fact that they push the diversity doppelblacker to have the same name as the original Wally West is the tombstone of him. There is no absolute way this abomination will ever outgrow the ultimate Flash Wally. The creators of Blawlly wanted not only to replace and blackwash real kid flash but now that the plan flopped they try the indirect approach chewing at the foundations of true Wally little by little and confusing millennials with the dual character existence. If DC could they would exterminate fans of older age in order to make way for newer generations who will grow to know only Kanye West as the proper. DC If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.

Sorry guys, every Wally fan is bad now. You're all tainted by association with this guy.