Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xinder posted:

So does he ever grow up or are they just going to keep him a god-kid forever with occasional glimpses of a future version of him hanging out with his bff Galactus?

He ages really slow because there's no rush to grow him up. His future incarnations preserve his childhood self because you can't get that back. Franklin is probably the best kid in comics.

I was introduced to Franklin through Amazing Spider-Man. The Venom symbiote was in the Baxter building after being removed from Spider-Man. Which lead to the Amazing Bag Man. The symbiote tried to make a psychic link with Franklin as he chased a ball past the lab it was being kept in. Seeing the limitless power within the child, the symbiote felt something for the first time, fear.

Venom's weaknesses: Fire. Sonics. Franklin Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I can't decide if I hate or love this character now. And that's the best feeling.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Xinder posted:

Wait that's an actual established thing about his character? I thought they were just using weird comic book liquid time where the world gets progressively more modern but nobody ever gets any older except when sometimes they do.

Actually thinking about it he may just look however he wants cuz there's that scene in ff i think where he's talking with Galactus at the heat death of the universe and I don't remember him looking super old

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Valeria Richards is the kid you should hate, except with most writers she's still actually pretty cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw look at her she's planning galactic scale genocide again. :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Valeria is the best because she's Reed's smart mixed with Doom's world-conquering. Her and Doom teaming up to fix the world l, beat Loki, and grab ice cream is the kind of story comics need.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Speaking of characters who fell out the multiverse at the end of Secret Wars, does anybody know where Black Swan ended up? It seemed like she had an interesting story going, but nothing ever came of it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

site posted:

Actually thinking about it he may just look however he wants cuz there's that scene in ff i think where he's talking with Galactus at the heat death of the universe and I don't remember him looking super old

He's immortal. It's not that he ages slowly, it's that he's never going to die. The point of that Galactus scene is that when everything has died and it's time for a new universe, he'll be going forward into it with Galactus. He'll age to physical maturity and then that'll be it, he'll be effectively a celestial being beyond the concerns of mortality.

And there are interesting stories to tell with that, it's just that you can't tell most of them in a shared universe. It's hard trying to have an event where the plot is "And Wolverine pops out and he waves his claws around, and then Franklin unmakes all of reality and remakes it so that the conflict never happened in the first place". And there's only so many times you can pretend he wouldn't do that, especially after you've already had him do it multiple times.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

Speaking of characters who fell out the multiverse at the end of Secret Wars, does anybody know where Black Swan ended up? It seemed like she had an interesting story going, but nothing ever came of it.
AFAIK, she has not been seen since Secret Wars ended.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Franklin and especially Valeria Richards both rule and you should absolutely, at the bare minimum, read Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run considering it's probably the best run of comics that Marvel has put out this century.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I kind of like Franklin, but until I checked Wiki just now I had no idea how long he'd been around. 1968! Five years in!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I kinda gave up on Hickman's Fantastic Four / FF after a dozen or so issues because only Reed was interesting to me.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Xinder posted:

I can't decide if I hate or love this character now. And that's the best feeling.

Someone post those panels of Osbourne meeting the kids when he wanted to see their parents.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I consider "Run" to be one of the best endings to any arc of comics ever made, which is a less powerful statement than it could be considering how many people have trouble sticking the landing or have their runs cut short earlier than they intended. It's such a perfect coda to his work on Fantastic Four and FF, and it really sums up everything he was going for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Out of curiosity, what's Aikku yelling in New Avengers #15, as she emerges from the armor? I'm not even 100% on what language that is.

Remembered about 30 seconds later that Google Translate has a "detect language" feature now. It's Norwegian: "I could not save her."

Given that her text stayed red, I think the implications is she's speaking Norwegian the whole time, we just get the translation after the first panel.

Also, it's kinda weird that Toni made a Rescue suit and then starts using it like the most murderous Sue Storm ever. At that point, why bother with the non-violent version of Iron Man and just put guns on it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

AFAIK, she has not been seen since Secret Wars ended.

I wanna say i saw her briefly in something soon after sw ended, like an avengers book or something, but i could be wrong

Toxxupation posted:

Franklin and especially Valeria Richards both rule and you should absolutely, at the bare minimum, read Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run considering it's probably the best run of comics that Marvel has put out this century.

Young Valeria is awesome but i kinda got the impression that upgrading Lunella to smartest person in the marvel u means that we won't be seeing V return any time soon

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Toxxupation posted:

If it's the one that started in 2010, I just added that to my wishlist as something I should eventually pick up. It probably won't be anytime soon though, as I am too poor for this hobby.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xinder posted:

If it's the one that started in 2010, I just added that to my wishlist as something I should eventually pick up. It probably won't be anytime soon though, as I am too poor for this hobby.

The bulk of it, if not all, should now be available in Marvel Unlimited and they usually have a good deal / month trial around black friday. You can buy a month sub, read it all, then cancel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

Also, it's kinda weird that Toni made a Rescue suit and then starts using it like the most murderous Sue Storm ever. At that point, why bother with the non-violent version of Iron Man and just put guns on it?

Because she wanted the full-blown force shielding to withstand that one guy's attacks, which were capable of landing a one-shot on somebody who wiped the floor with a full Avengers squad.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The bulk of it, if not all, should now be available in Marvel Unlimited and they usually have a good deal / month trial around black friday. You can buy a month sub, read it all, then cancel.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The entire thing's on there, but the switch to FF at one point makes it kind of annoying.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The whole Franklin is destined to be the last living thing in this universe, will become the Galactus of the next is funny because, unless I'm very much misremembering, that used to be the destiny of Mr. Immortal of the Great Lakes Avengers from one of his few moments of pathos.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
No, Galactus will still be Galactus. He'll just have a friend who is way more powerful than him next time around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I caught up with Gwenpool!

Thinking about going for Kamala's series next.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I kinda gave up on Hickman's Fantastic Four / FF after a dozen or so issues because only Reed was interesting to me.

That's a sentiment the writer obviously shared.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mover posted:

The whole Franklin is destined to be the last living thing in this universe, will become the Galactus of the next is funny because, unless I'm very much misremembering, that used to be the destiny of Mr. Immortal of the Great Lakes Avengers from one of his few moments of pathos.

It's also awesome as heck, because the firstborn child of the Marvel universe gets to be the father of the next universe, in that he's there from the moment it's born, watching it grow and change and come into its own, with his loving guidance helping it out.

Franklin has a better arc than most superhero characters, imo. I'm a huge mark for childhood/parenthood stuff, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He has a better arc because it gets to have an ending, something very few superhero comic characters are afforded.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Waffleman_ posted:

I caught up with Gwenpool!

Thinking about going for Kamala's series next.

It's a good idea to do that. But give it some leeway at the start.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm beginning to think Lurdiak might not like Hickman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

It's a good idea to do that. But give it some leeway at the start.

Has Kamala been around long enough that getting Marvel Unlimited to catch up on some of it would be a good value?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's 23 Ms. Marvel issues on Unlimited, the entirety of the first volume (19 issues) and the first four issues of the second volume. So it's up to you to determine whether 23 issues is worth it or not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, getting a month and cancelling after I'm done would definitely be a better deal than getting them all on Comixology, even with the bundle they have of the first volume + a few other issues she was in. I'll probably try that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

I'm beginning to think Lurdiak might not like Hickman.

Really? But his posts are so calm and understated!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Really? But his posts are so calm and understated!

Thanks. :)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Waffleman_ posted:

Has Kamala been around long enough that getting Marvel Unlimited to catch up on some of it would be a good value?

That would probably get you the entirety of the first volume, so you'd be in good shape, yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair Hickman is a bad writer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair Hickman is a bad writer.

To be fair shut your face Hickman owns.

Parker dealing with Johnny as a roommate is some excellent writing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

That's a sentiment the writer obviously shared.

Fantastic Four #572 posted:

Tom Brevoort: Okay...now well em what you think is wrong with the book right now... what, in your opinion, isn't working?

Hickman: Well, one of the biggest problems I see is that it's not perceived as a book about the Fantasitc Four anymore. I think, because of all the tent-pole events marvel has been doing, and how integral to their story Mr. Fantastic has been, the book - heck, the entire FF universe - has become, by inclusion or exclusion, completely Reed-centric...almost like it's Mr. Richards and his merry band of heroes.

Tom Brevoort: Ehhh, I can see that. So what do you have in mind for your first story arc?

Hickman: A stand-alone story about Reed.

Tom Breevort: You're fired.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have any of the Initiative popped up since the book ended? A lot of them are good characters that would be a waste if they flew away into the ether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

Have any of the Initiative popped up since the book ended? A lot of them are good characters that would be a waste if they flew away into the ether.

- Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady) was on Secret Avengers for a while.
- Hardball hung around for a bit and was last seen briefly in Fear Itself. Komodo was also last seen briefly in Fear Itself.
- Prodigy starred in a Fear Itself mini.
- Stature had a bit of a run after The Initiative, but then had the whole unpleasantness happen to her during Children's Crusade.

So no, not really. To be fair, although I liked Avengers: The Initiative, Avengers Academy had both the better and more layered characters overall and if any should be brought back, it should be them.

• Locked thread