Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Ernie took the concept of "kill them with kindness" and elevated it to a loving massacre right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Data Graham posted:

You mean they made a live action TV series out of the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon :aaaaa:

(alternatively)

You mean they made a cartoon out of those movies with the MC Hammer theme song :aaaaa:

There's a franchise behind Fester's Quest?!?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Upvote based comments with in-line replies are the worst format for actual discussion. They reinforce echo Chambers and fragment any possible discussion. See also the cess pool that is reddit and it's interface.

The interface and its effects on discourse is why I primarily stick around here and other old-school discussion forums instead of participating much in social media. gently caress social media comments, I want to have actual conversations with ideas in them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BigglesSWE posted:

I also feel "the normal clothes" are a very strange way to categorise "anything that isn't a suit".

This is the same type of people who admire Capone because he "dressed like a gentleman", if only them gangbangers down the corner took a lesson from him, amirite?

To be fair Capone could wear literally anything and nobody would say a bad word unless they want to sleep with the fishes that night.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ularg posted:

Live feed from the memer himself:

Why is it that the completely superfluous "in this moment" is what bothers me the most? Why do these goobers talk like this? Do they think it makes them sound intelligent?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, sure. You'll just have to get up earlier than everyone else to make sure all the items you're putting on are properly positioned and unwrinkled so your suit doesn't look trashy. And you'll probably want to get a fitted suit so it doesn't look baggy and weird on you, which you'll then freak out over every time the weather isn't perfect or you have to do something messy because it's so expensive and you didn't just wear jeans and a nice shirt like a normal person.
You know lots of people wear suits every day, right?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why is it that the completely superfluous "in this moment" is what bothers me the most? Why do these goobers talk like this? Do they think it makes them sound intelligent?
To be fair, that line was written by a teenager trying to sound deep and insightful. So yeah, he thought it made him sound intelligent, but who among us can say that they didn't do/say/think something equally dumb as a teenager?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, that line was written by a teenager trying to sound deep and insightful. So yeah, he thought it made him sound intelligent, but who among us can say that they didn't do/say/think something equally dumb as a teenager?

I am truly thankful that I was a teenager just before 'immortalise your stupidity on the internet forever' really became a thing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ularg posted:

"Heh, oh hey there, didn't see you. Now sorry, but I gotta go fast."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ro5s posted:

I am truly thankful that I was a teenager just before 'immortalise your stupidity on the internet forever' really became a thing.

Same, though if any of the BBSes I dialed into archived their forums I'm hosed!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Friend of mine posted this article today. It must be exhausting to be personally offended by everything people do around you.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ro5s posted:

If I ever want to feel bad I look up the proboards BBS for my old Halo clan I was a part of.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

Friend of mine posted this article today. It must be exhausting to be personally offended by everything people do around you.

The title of the article makes it very clear that the writer believes themselves to be the most important person ever. Jesus, just because someone wants to lose weight, doens't mean it has anything to do with you!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Elblanco posted:

The title of the article makes it very clear that the writer believes themselves to be the most important person ever. Jesus, just because someone wants to lose weight, doens't mean it has anything to do with you!

I particularly like the part where she eats a whole bag of mini Snickers when people talk to her about their diets.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Kajeesus posted:

I just skimmed it but it really doesn't seem that terrible to me? It's hard not to internalize comments people make about their body when you're struggling with your weight, too. I don't know, I've seen articles that are way more self-centered than this one.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Ularg posted:

I'm pretty sure I had that exact same t-shirt when I was nine.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Look at this shameful hashtag with vowels in it. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

dijon du jour posted:

Jesus loving christ. I realize this type of stuff is par for the course for Like farming but this poo poo is so slimy and cynical it genuinely makes me feel gross.

Gotta go with what works, I guess, if you want all those shiny likes and shares.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ghost emoji posted:

I just skimmed it but it really doesn't seem that terrible to me? It's hard not to internalize comments people make about their body when you're struggling with your weight, too. I don't know, I've seen articles that are way more self-centered than this one.

It made people that wanted to lose weight through surgery or however seem like total assholes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ghost emoji posted:

Its shaming people for not wanting to be fat anymore. Its incredibly stupid and I wished I had my 5 minutes back.

Maybe lose a little weight, lady!

Regarding a FRIEND that decided to get weight loss surgery:

quote:

The first day I knew she was home and recovering, I briefly considered having a dozen donuts delivered to her door.

Cage has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Aug 26, 2016

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Ok Fella posted:

It made people that wanted to lose weight through surgery or however seem like total assholes.

Yea the "my mom 'moved out of her body' so she wouldn't look like me" angle is a little too self-serving for my liking. She literally said she felt "betrayed" by her own mother.

Sorry if this hits too close to home to someone, but other people who are thinner/fitter/healthier have body issues too, and if they want to fix them, it's not a personal insult to anyone else.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
By the end she at least seems to be starting to get it, though she still words it in a eye-rollingly "woe is me" fashion.

quote:

My mother did not opt for invasive surgery to leave me behind. She did it because was tired of the inescapable fight that is life in a fat body. I am not the victim here. I am only a casualty.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think it's more a matter of the persons weight being something they felt they couldn't or wouldn't change, so when people around them change regardless it makes this person self conscious.

Maybe they don't feel like they'll be as accepted and validated for their choices when others around them lose weight. But everybody is on their own journey, and it should be no threat to them. I mean, imagine this with any other subject-

:v: Hey bro I'm tired of dealing with having a huge jacked up truck. I'm going to sell it and buy a Prius.

:argh: Why are you attacking my way of life?! *blogging intensifies*

Panfilo has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 26, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Panfilo posted:

I think it's more a matter of the persons weight being something they felt they couldn't or wouldn't change, so when people around them change regardless it makes this person self conscious.

Maybe they don't feel like they'll be as accepted and validated for their choices when others around them lose weight. But everybody is on their own journey, and it should be no threat to them. I mean, imagine this with any other subject-

:v: Hey bro I'm tired of dealing with having a huge jacked up truck. I'm going to sell it and buy a Prius.

Adolf Hitler was the worst thing that could possibly happen to the white identity and the best thing to happen for cultural Marxists. You can now never bring up racial truths/the benefits of eugenics without the brainwashed masses whimpering "Buh buh buh, the Holocaust!" Even though white people are responsible for the majority of society's advances, this one fuckwit will forever make defending our culture from invasion and degeneration an extreme taboo.

And don't ever think any praise will be ever given to the men, the innovators and risk-takers of society. Just look at the men's rights movement. We've tried to respectfully point out the massive gap in suicide rates, homeless rates, divorce rape, and education, and what did we get? A skit on SNL calling us misogynists. A woman being "objectified" results in massive outrage from all fronts. Men actually suffering from real problems? You will never get anything more than a shrug and a "meh".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CommonShore posted:

idgi. The text and the image seem completely incongruous. And what is spirit science? As a bonus she shared it as a "memory" of a year ago.

Spirit Science is one of those pages loved by stoners, yoga moms, and generally people who are into alt med and mysticism and the like. It posts a lot of really wacko things and passes them off as truth or facts of science and their nutso followers really eat it up. I never had to scroll very far to get all of these, for instance (public page, etc):

Every now and then a brave soul will see it shared by one of their hippy friends/relatives and come in to call them out, but they just get lost in white noise:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Panfilo posted:

I mean, imagine this with any other subject-

The thing is this situation is believable and kinda negates your point slightly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I mean, imagine this with any other subject-

i could 100% see this happening

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panfilo posted:

I traded my Nissan Titan in for a Nissan Leaf. You wouldn't believe how threatened people become when someone else eschews something that they so closely identify with. I don't even give a gently caress what other people drive.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Yea the "my mom 'moved out of her body' so she wouldn't look like me" angle is a little too self-serving for my liking. She literally said she felt "betrayed" by her own mother.

Sorry if this hits too close to home to someone, but other people who are thinner/fitter/healthier have body issues too, and if they want to fix them, it's not a personal insult to anyone else.

I mean I understand everyone has their issues but if someone is taking steps to better their quality of life/health/lifestyle and you poo poo all over it you're probably not a very good friend. Or a very good person in general.

When one of my friends quits smoking I'm happy for them, I don't throw a look at me pity party. Much less type out a fuckin thousand word blog about it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Adolf Hitler was the worst thing that could possibly happen to the white identity and the best thing to happen for cultural Marxists. You can now never bring up racial truths/the benefits of eugenics without the brainwashed masses whimpering "Buh buh buh, the Holocaust!" Even though white people are responsible for the majority of society's advances, this one fuckwit will forever make defending our culture from invasion and degeneration an extreme taboo.

And don't ever think any praise will be ever given to the men, the innovators and risk-takers of society. Just look at the men's rights movement. We've tried to respectfully point out the massive gap in suicide rates, homeless rates, divorce rape, and education, and what did we get? A skit on SNL calling us misogynists. A woman being "objectified" results in massive outrage from all fronts. Men actually suffering from real problems? You will never get anything more than a shrug and a "meh".

You should really source your quotes because I want to see where this madness comes from.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The writer of that piece seems like someone who'd bring a six pack to an AA meeting and then get offended when they're asked to leave

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

What in the sweet gently caress is divorce rape? This seems like something that will make me angry.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Gaunab posted:

You should really source your quotes because I want to see where this madness comes from.

It's best not to know, no good can come from it.

nerd plus rage posted:

What in the sweet gently caress is divorce rape? This seems like something that will make me angry.

Alimony, probably.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

porktree posted:

Goddddammit, all of you, it's the Addams Family (two mother loving D's). It was loving based on the New Yorker cartoons of Charles Addams. It was intended to be subversive, and it got watered down for TV but was still no Beaver/FKB. And gently caress the Munsters.

I grew up very close to where the Addams guy drew his inspiration and the subversive aspect carried through to the TV show and movies well-enough. It makes way more sense when you realize the Victorian/Gothic style is making fun of Mid-Atlantic Region stiffness/pomposity and not Cali folk.

Cage posted:

Its shaming people for not wanting to be fat anymore. Its incredibly stupid and I wished I had my 5 minutes back.

I'm a big proponent of telling people to lean into their circumstances in order to subvert them instead of struggling headlong against them in a vain display, but that doesn't mean you need to accept your circumstances as ok or normal.

Kajeesus posted:

I've known people who have gone through amazing body transformations and enjoyed the perks of being skinny and generally more attractive. It's funny, the people that were already pretty nice continued to be pretty nice while the people who were nasty assholes only got nastier. It also turns out that when someone gets more social cachet you generally have to offer a bit more to have their continued attention and respect, regardless of your history and especially whether or not they "deserve" it.

This lady is afraid of the latter because she knows her friend will ditch her, and is using a twisted interpretation of the former to justify running away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

belt posted:

I traded my Nissan Titan in for a Nissan Leaf. You wouldn't believe how threatened people become when someone else eschews something that they so closely identify with. I don't even give a gently caress what other people drive.

"Rolling coal" is the best example. The owners of big, expensive, resource-consuming vehicles got so offended by being told "Hey, maybe we should try not to destroy the environment completely?" that they started intentionally loving with their exhaust to create giant black clouds of smoke that choke people they drive past. New Jersey made it illegal after a State Assemblyman had a guy blast smoke at him while he was driving a Nissan Leaf.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gaunab posted:

You can't play World of Warcraft on a Windows 95 OS, and you can't expect white-level IQs from Arabic genes.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You can't play World of Warcraft on a Windows 95 OS, and you can't expect white-level IQs from Arabic genes.

Googled this quote and got this conversation, which isn't related but wow!

quote:

rollingwriter | March 25, 2013 at 4:29 am
Perhaps it also has to do with how black genes dramatically reduce intelligence. The intellectual dullness of negroes explains their pack mentality so naturally they don’t feel as comfortable around individualist Whites and just feel safer in a gaggle of fellow negroes?
Just a thought that only now occurred to me.

The future | June 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm
“just a thought that now occurred to me”? Maybe you should develop a thought like that more before you post. I am mulatto and grew up in the north Georgia. I was always the minority as my surroundings were at least 95% Caucasian. Starting in middle school I was considered “gifted” and selecting for the program containing the top 10% of my age group by national test scores following through high school. Upon graduating, I was ranked 8th in my school by GPA and SAT scores. I just so happened to also be the football star and went to college on a football scholarship (after all it was free). I was also selected as one of the most attractive in my class, brown skin-green eyes, by the yearbook committee. So I have lived my life in constant comparison to my white and black peers, fighting preconceptions and my own demons. My point is this: using my own life as a case study, I find more influence from a person’s parental upbringing than from racial makeup. And as much as I don’t like what you said, there may be some truth in it as just as I was naturally more athletic than my peers, the brain is a product of genetics as well. However, I’m living proof contradicting your statement. You clearly cannot generalize like that without the research. My friends used to tell me that I had it all, or the best of both worlds or what not but really I’m just a product of genetic diversity with the right assortment of phenotypes. But what I think most of you try not to admit is that this is becoming more than just a trend and is the natural progression of any species. Genetic siversity. Especially with the gradual rise in interracial relationships and openness toward change in society’s racial caste system. Well sorry for the lengthiness and thanks for letting me share my story/thoughts. Oh yeah, I’m 28yo, live in Atlanta, majored in Biology and currently work as a medical technologist

The future | June 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm
A few grammatical errors as I didn’t proofread it🙂

rollingwriter | June 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Wow!! Your’e one of those magic negroes!! So you are certainly smart enough to no you are not at all the norm!

https://occamsrazormag.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/racial-admixture-in-usa-and-why-mulattoes-identify-as-black/

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

I...wow
There's a lot to unpack there

nerd plus rage posted:

I assume it's either
A) Alimony(how she gets you after divorce
or
B) "Have sex with me right now or I will divorce you and tell the police you raped me!"

e:

Urban Dictionary posted:

Divorce rape

Noun or verb used to describe a wife who uses the fact that divorce courts are sexist in favour of women, to personal advantage. For example by taking an unfair proportion of the husband's assets or denying him access to children.

Julie and her husband James had been married for 10 years and had 3 children. Julie stopped having sex with James and then accused him of rape. She filed for divorce and hired an expensive lawyer using their shared bank account. Julie and her lawyer divorce raped James and took the house and all the money James had saved over the years, leaving James with nothing. He was also denied the right to visit his children. James was upset with the divorce rape that Julie had committed against him. What a bitch.

Postal Parcel has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Aug 26, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/drjillstein/status/769188153429286912

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok Fella posted:

I mean I understand everyone has their issues but if someone is taking steps to better their quality of life/health/lifestyle and you poo poo all over it you're probably not a very good friend. Or a very good person in general.

When one of my friends quits smoking I'm happy for them, I don't throw a look at me pity party. Much less type out a fuckin thousand word blog about it.

Yeah, that crack at the end about the dozen donuts was her saying "If I were a bad person, this might be the kind of thing I would do. But I'm not a bad person, no way. I would never do that thing I fantasized about. ..........................I'm just gonna write this passive aggressive as gently caress essay instead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
This isn't exactly the kind of thing that gets posted here, but I thought it was very interesting and is definitely about social media.

One of my favorite podcasts is Replay All, it's a podcast about things that happen on the internet. Topic aside, I think it is one of the best produced podcasts with two very likeable and talented hosts, so I'd readily recommend it to anyone regardless of how tech savvy they are.

Yesterday they released a new episode regarding a person who has their own tulpas. If you're not familiar with tulpas, they are basically alter egos/imaginary friends that adults have. As far as I can tell, these adults truly believe (or at least have convinced themselves) that these tulpas are real beings.

I think it fits in with this thread, because it's about how one person fell in with one of these tulpa online communities and how living a tulpa lifestyle affected her real life relationships.

If you want to listen to it, which I would highly recommend, you can find it here: https://gimletmedia.com/episode/74-making-friends/