Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that would definitely lock out a lot of people posting in this thread rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

locking the story behind coil-with-echo 2.55 difficulty would still probably require you to have 7 friends to do it with

I don't think that requiring friends to do things in an MMO is unreasonable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So here's where you're 100% full of poo poo to me. Climactic battles have nothing to do with the difficulty. I would even argue that hiding story behind savage content would make the story worse because now that content has to be written so that it doesn't effect the rest of the game. It will inherently be less able to change things in the world than easy story mode can. It's entirely about you wanting an exclusive club to be in, not about how much you care about the story, because if you did care about the story that much the difficulty wouldn't even factor into it.

Letting people skip normal to go straight to Savage doesn't bug me in the slightest, but bringing "THE STORY" into it is loving absurd.

Imagine getting to the last phase of T13, and Akh Morn plinks you for 100 damage.

Also the Alex story already doesn't affect the rest of the game, it's entirely its own thing. So I'm not sure how that's a valid argument.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Chairman close the thread until 3.4 please.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Evil Fluffy posted:

Chairman close the thread until 3.4 please.

no

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the Alex story already doesn't affect the rest of the game, it's entirely its own thing. So I'm not sure how that's a valid argument.

This was true about Binding Coil until about 12 hours ago.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, but even then it's only going to change like one line of dialogue.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Imagine getting to the last phase of T13, and Akh Morn plinks you for 100 damage.

That's true, but it could change. It's more that story affecting the world can't happen if only 5% of the population can do it.

And so what? Who cares that akh morn plinks you for 100 damage? One of the most climactic fights I can think of is still in mass effect 3, when the reaper on the quarian homeworld is chasing you, everyone is panicking and losing their poo poo, but when legion says he thinks we could still get away, Shepard tells them to nut up, link his orbital targeting gun to the entire quarian fleet, and you make a stand and kill a reaper using conventional tactics and weapons and without losing entire fleets of ships. It's a huge moment in the story because Shepard showed everyone the reapers can be beaten without losing thousands of lives, and by making his stand he saved both the geth and the quarians. It was such a cathartic feeling to shove an entire fleet's railguns up a reaper's rear end and send the message that the Galaxy wasn't going to go quietly into the night.

Mechanically, you click a dude for 3-4 seconds a few times, then a cutscene plays.

Your insistence that difficulty means jack loving poo poo to anyone who cares about the story is loving absurd. What you want is the catharsis of beating a hard boss who has been kicking your rear end, which is entirely a different thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That might have been the worst example you could present. I hated that scene because it was basically a quick time event.

For a lot of people, the risk of failure or defeat makes victory much more special.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

That might have been the worst example you could present. I hated that scene because it was basically a quick time event.

For a lot of people, the risk of failure or defeat makes victory much more special.

So because it's not climactic to you it's not climactic to anyone. Got it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think that requiring friends to do things in an MMO is unreasonable.

You're in the minority.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sorry that you don't have any friends.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry that you don't have any friends.

Fister Roboto posted:

This might be the weakest attempt at an own I've ever seen.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Participating in this convo is the real own. I just owned myself by chiming in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I decided to come back

is this a bad time

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

is this a bad time

a patch was just released that makes catching up super easy, so no better time if you want to get ready for 3.4 which is in a month

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

e: i'd be a little surprised if the answer wasn't piety/determination, like for white mages

this is far back but please don't willingly put notable trash stat determination on anything as a healer unless you are somehow completely out of options

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

is this a bad time

Welp, not the best time for the history of the FFXIV thread but the game is still fun :v:

Welcome back, you're in time for Yokai and anniversary event starting today.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

You're in the minority.

This is a bad post.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

seannykun posted:

This is a bad post.

It's accurate though.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So have they confirmed wether or not the Hildebrand questlines will finally have more than 2 quests?

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Verranicus posted:

It's accurate though.

idk, I don't think it's really unreasonable to expect people in an mmo, a social game, to make friends and build groups to clear content. Call me old fashioned I guess

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

seannykun posted:

idk, I don't think it's really unreasonable to expect people in an mmo, a social game, to make friends and build groups to clear content. Call me old fashioned I guess

You are old fashioned, yes. With how casual and solo friendly MMOs are it's not a stretch for most people to expect to be able to do most of the content with PUGs.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Verranicus posted:

You are old fashioned, yes. With how casual and solo friendly MMOs are it's not a stretch for most people to expect to be able to do most of the content with PUGs.

Did I miss something and they're removing the normal mode you can DF? Harder content should require coordinated groups to kill.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

what part of "multiplayer" is confusing to you

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

seannykun posted:

This is a bad post.

Sure, appeals to majority usually are.

Devs have limited resources to make content for any game and it is ridiculous to ever see anyone who is a hardcore raiding elitist blunder into a thread complaining about casual content when fiscally it makes no sense to be catering to raiders in the least. It is galling that people who are incredibly lucky they even get the bone of savage think they deserve to not just gain something but remove something from the majority of the playerbase. I am not unsympathetic to hardcore raiders and their woes, I used to do that poo poo in WoW and briefly in first and second coil. And it is drat silly that they make you clear story before doing savage. And it is unfortunate that raiders appear to be dissatisfied with the content design of the Heavensward raids. So take issue with those things and not that casuals are getting to see poo poo and you are just so mad about this that you will derail the thread over it on a monthly basis.

seannykun posted:

Did I miss something and they're removing the normal mode you can DF? Harder content should require coordinated groups to kill.

Literally all of this started with Fister saying they should remove DF story mode, yes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

seannykun posted:

Okay but what people were talking about was difficult content and removing story mode.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Okay but what people were talking about was difficult content and removing story mode.

Ah then I did miss something. Personally I'm of the opinion of: Keep Normal in DF, keep savage difficult, and add a middle tier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I said that they should make it harder, like they said it was going to be.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

seannykun posted:

Ah then I did miss something. Personally I'm of the opinion of: Keep Normal in DF, keep savage difficult, and add a middle tier.

Perhaps call it something like "Hard Mode"

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

seannykun posted:

Yeah, this is also what I'd love to see.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I would like for Square-Enix to get over their LoL envy boner and stop the focus on PvP and return to 2.0 form

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
When are they gonna put this game on xbox

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As soon as Microsoft gets their head out of their rear end and cooperates with SE's server procedures.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really FFXIV does need imo something harder then Alex story but easier then Savage.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
^^ Yes but at the cost of savage not the story

ilifinicus posted:

I would like for Square-Enix to get over their LoL envy boner and stop the focus on PvP and return to 2.0 form

With all this talk about percentile of players in savage I would really like to see the feast pvp percentiles vs the total population, because they actually have exclusive ranked rewards and poo poo.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Velthice posted:

this is far back but please don't willingly put notable trash stat determination on anything as a healer unless you are somehow completely out of options

Det is shittacular on materia because you get less of it. But for a non raider, accuracy is pointless and crit just generates extra aggro a DF tank might not be able to take.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess spell speed? I don't play AST so you should probably trust literally anyone who does over me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Enough talk about dumb stuff, how about the best character from Heavensward, Matoya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

She's so tall! :swoon:

• Locked thread