Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: Doesn't Face/Off have a carousel scene?

Indeed it does. Face/Off rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it too late to nominate Ridley Scott's Hannibal as being tolerable and having a carousel scene?

Also, on the Flash, does anybody else think that his clashy lightning thing is a way to prevent the DCEU turning into motherfuckingflash.txt? Make it dangerous for him to start/stop running near crowds of people, infrastructure, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Is it too late to nominate Ridley Scott's Hannibal as being tolerable and having a carousel scene?

I still think that movie's really underrated.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Indeed it does. Face/Off rules.

My favorite part of Face/Off is at the very end when John Travolta inexplicably shows up with that replacement kid.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Ha! Say goodbye to the entire cast of the Rogues in the Flash TV series.

This isn't going to happen, just like they were never going to cancel the Flash entirely just because he's starring in a movie, and just like they've now cast a separate TV Superman for Supergirl. It is an old policy that is irrelevant at this point in the cycle.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Yep, the newest and most fantastical iteration of the series is surely what I was referencing. I am defeated and banished.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

LORD OF BOOTY, I'm writing to you from an alternate future where Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist, and the Cold War didn't end when we were attacked by psychic aliens. The Cold War still ended, and it didn't involve aliens or nuclear war. It also didn't involve a man named Adrian Veidt making billions of dollars from shrewd investments in the aftermath of an alien attack.

You can't exactly use our past to judge the situation Watchmen presents us with, though, because, as you mentioned, Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist. He's the key bit there. His presence escalated things drastically in the Watchmen universe, leading to a choice between "Veidt doing his alien thing" or "the Soviet Union and the USA blowing each other to poo poo." This isn't even subtextual, these are things that both versions say directly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always thought that Veidt didn't solve or stop anything, all he did was delay it briefly. None of the underlying problems are going away, and they'll bubble back up, whether or not Rorschach's journal is found or cared about.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how gracious of you.

I am the utmost authority when it comes to defending Ben Affleck's (and James Cameron's) work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

I always thought that Veidt didn't solve or stop anything, all he did was delay it briefly. None of the underlying problems are going away, and they'll bubble back up, whether or not Rorschach's journal is found or cared about.

Yeah, that's the whole point of the final exchange between him and Manhattan, at least in the book.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yep, the newest and most fantastical iteration of the series is surely what I was referencing. I am defeated and banished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUloeRkd7dc&t=127s
?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You can't exactly use our past to judge the situation Watchmen presents us with, though, because, as you mentioned, Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist. He's the key bit there. His presence escalated things drastically in the Watchmen universe, leading to a choice between "Veidt doing his alien thing" or "the Soviet Union and the USA blowing each other to poo poo." This isn't even subtextual, these are things that both versions say directly.
What is our source for the notion that Veidt's plan was the only plan that could have possibly prevented apocalypse? IIRC, none other than Veidt himself. He formulated the only conceivable plan to stop a nuclear eschaton, which conveniently didn't cost him anything he couldn't replace, eliminated his enemies, and made him even more fantastically rich than he was before. It's not exactly subtextual that the whole thing was a bid to make himself richer and, much more meaningfully, stroke his own ego.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah. What makes the ending of Watchmen so scary and bleak is how everyone (with the exception of one lone nutjob) so quickly agrees that a billionaire CEO should be empowered to commit genocide if he sees fit because he just knows better than the rest of us.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

An earlier rumour had the movie being a rehash of the TV show, with a crippled Thawne as the main antagonist.

Good lord. Although I suppose that's always going to be the go to villain, the hero simply wearing a darker costume.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The threat of Dr. Manhatten isn't that he's a super powerful human/outright god, the threat of Dr. Manhatten is that he strengthens the US against the USSR and so destabilizes the balance between the two nuclear powers.

This is something that happened in real life.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

What is our source for the notion that Veidt's plan was the only plan that could have possibly prevented apocalypse? IIRC, none other than Veidt himself. He formulated the only conceivable plan to stop a nuclear eschaton, which conveniently didn't cost him anything he couldn't replace, eliminated his enemies, and made him even more fantastically rich than he was before. It's not exactly subtextual that the whole thing was a bid to make himself richer and, much more meaningfully, stroke his own ego.

Well, mostly the fact that he's the only one with a plan. Had someone else in the story come up with something better, I would not exactly be defending Veidt, and I'm also not going to say for sure that his plan worked (I took Manhattan's statements to Veidt as basically "you can't fix human nature, this situation's gonna pop back up eventually," rather than directly "your plan failed"), but he's really hard to outright fault, given the choices available.

Schwarzwald posted:

The threat of Dr. Manhatten isn't that he's a super powerful human/outright god, the threat of Dr. Manhatten is that he strengthens the US against the USSR and so destabilizes the balance between the two nuclear powers.

This is something that happened in real life.

But to a different degree and with different specific effects. That's the thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, mostly the fact that he's the only one with a plan. Had someone else in the story come up with something better, I would not exactly be defending Veidt, and I'm also not going to say for sure that his plan worked (I took Manhattan's statements to Veidt as basically "you can't fix human nature, this situation's gonna pop back up eventually," rather than directly "your plan failed"), but he's really hard to outright fault, given the choices available.
That doesn't make any sense. You're saying that because he was the only character who could manipulate international politics, we can't criticize the vain, self-aggrandizing course of action he took. By that reasoning, Manhattan is also blameless for blundering along and allowing himself to be manipulated by Nixon et al., since none of the other characters are as powerful as him.

You don't have to agree with me, of course, but I point out that saying Veidt and his decisions are too grand to be criticized (as Gordon says of Batman in DKR) is a mistake.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah. What makes the ending of Watchmen so scary and bleak is how everyone (with the exception of one lone nutjob) so quickly agrees that a billionaire CEO should be empowered to commit genocide if he sees fit because he just knows better than the rest of us.

That's not really how it's characterized. The rest of the Watchmen wanted to stop Veidt, they only considered letting the lie continue when they realized they were too late.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

That's not really how it's characterized. The rest of the Watchmen wanted to stop Veidt, they only considered letting the lie continue when they realized they were too late.

But that's really the same thing. They cover up the genocide because they all agree it was 'worth it'. Everyone is afraid to let the public know the truth, because they don't trust the people to handle the truth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But that's really the same thing. They cover up the genocide because they all agree it was 'worth it'. Everyone is afraid to let the public know the truth, because they don't trust the people to handle the truth.

Except that the truth is a very malleable thing. The world has already seen one thing happen and been reassured by their leaders that everything that can be done, is being done. The remaining Watchmen could tell the world, but the question is: would it actually do any good? It's the age-old question of a comfortable lie versus a painful truth, and I think Watchmen presents that as a question to the viewer without making a judgment of its own.

Who's right - Rorschach, Ozymandias, or Manhattan/Nite Owl/Silk Spectre - is an exercise left to the viewer to ponder. Was it worth it? That's Ozy's view. Was it reprehensible but what's done is done so may as well make the best of what's on the table? That's Manhattan and the others. Was it wrong and must be fought no matter the consequences? That's Rorschach's view.

Make your own judgment.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tales of the Black Freighter doesn't really leave a ton of room to end up siding with Veidt. And no, the truth is not malleable in that way. The truth is the thing that happened, which is that Veidt faked an alien invasion and committed genocide.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
BTW, sayin' it again that the adaptation of Tales of the Black Freighter is great.

It's interesting that in that particular line from the comics, Veidt describes himself as "I dream about swimming towards a hideous..." which is a very explicit reference to the conclusion of the comic-within-a-comic. Veidt knows what he did was wrong, and here he's petitioning this man-made god for a certain judgment. But Manhattan is a corrupted Christ figure - he "doesn't judge" this obviously deplorable pseudo-philosophizing in favor of a veiled, "enlightened" tyranny. Remember, the point of "Tales of the Black Freighter" is that the character is born into a world of fire and blood, possessed by the devotion to redeem his family from this fate, but simply condemns them to it.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Revealing Veidt's plot would make people demand justice, but it wouldn't stop the looming war. Veidt's plan is not "worthy", but it worked. And it's understandable that, when the alternative is nuclear war, that they don't want to risk undoing it.

I said this in a past Watchmen thread, and I'll say it again here: the real tragedy of Veidt is that, for being the Smartest Man in the World, his solution at the end is just more of the same "school-boy heroics" he mocks: he saw a problem, and solved it through violence. Somehow, he thought that investing all that time, money and science on his Greatest Joke was better than, let's say influence american politics to try and force a de-escalation of the use of Dr. Manhattan as a deterrent, encourage more cooperation with the U.S.S.R., and get Nixon out of the White House.

Which is why I like how in the comic they indicate that his triumph is exactly like Alexander cutting the Gordian Knot: instead of using patience and skill to win, he just went for strength and spectacle. And that's why he explains his plan to the other heroes and lets them see that it worked: he still wants someone to know that the great monument of world peace was done by him, and who cares that he killed nameless masses to build it?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Karloff posted:

Batman's goals are good way prior to him rescuing Martha, we are introduced to him in a scene where he's taking down sex traffickers, even if he's depicted texturally in that scene as monstrous and scary*. I think most people would consider sex trafficking pretty high if not highest on the list of pretty reprehensible crimes, the reason why Batman is introduced attacking them is that it instantly puts you on his side. Batman would have saved an old lady before his Martha moment.

*Which is excellent, probably one of the best Batman scenes ever put onto film, which is why BvS's badness is so frustrating for me, because when it's good it's sooooo good.

Much of that scene doesn't literally happen. A colony of bats flies out the chimney, as if Batman is made of them, and he tumbles along the ceiling before passing through it like a spirit. He's the prince of the power of the air mentioned by the apostle Paul ("Devils don't come from Hell beneath us. They come from the sky."). He's only there for the endorphins of compulsive sadism, another level of violence and fear in these victims' lives. They're Batman's collateral damage. We see them close the door on their cage to protect themselves from the police. The rookie officer walks into the enhanced interrogation room and is terrified to see the devil watching. He fires at the monster as well as his partner, who to him appear one and the same, and he gets scolded for siding against the "Christ!"-loving good guys. Like Zod, the use of force is the only thing that makes sense to Batman's world, including being forced. Superman chooses to be whatever people need him to be and carries the potential of all things. Batman is compelled to be one thing. Batman hates being Batman.

It is a very good scene.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Veidt's solution us the only solution man can come up with in a world with a absent god. He doesn't just " end the war" he unites it against a common enemy.

Even in the end his solution is to give the world a fake war that will last a eternity. His solution is to give the world paranoia and fear of an other.

Also I don't think people realize that Rorschach's journal only exposes Veidt for the murders not the entire plan. So really it's just some crazy persons conspiracy about Veidt giving people cancer.

I think it's important to realize that when the book was written it was in the last gasps of the cold war, you had Reagan and Thatcher in charge.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 27, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Karloff posted:

The two technologies have no relation other than being technology, they have completely different purposes within the story. The Cellphone thing is morally wrong when working as it is supposed to do (spying on everyone), hence why Batman deactivates it. The nuclear weapon was never intended to be a weapon, the fact that it could be used as such was an unintended consequence. The first is about Batman dancing near to the corruption that he has tried to destroy.The second is about Batman's fear and failure, the renewable energy thing is a good idea, but Bruce is so embittered by world that he does not trust it to be used by anything other than evil, it is symbolic of Batman himself, a positive force that inspired great evil in The Joker.

The character is not better at the start of The Dark Knight Rises, character development is not exclusive to positive change, only to change. Batman has changed for the worse. He is suffering from extreme feelings of anxiety and depression due to the events of The Dark Knight, and is overwhelmed by the weight of his failures.

So overwhelmed that he continues to make the same mistakes. That's the idea.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Falling back on outdated memes is a timeless class for losers. You can show every game and they would dig their heels in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Crosspost from BSS

Dacap posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/769927705651392513

Here's Taika Waititi's short from SDCC showing what Thor was doing during Civil War

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Director of Doctor Strange:

https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/769783732483993600

He's got good taste at least, maybe it'll be alright.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

achillesforever6 posted:

Crosspost from BSS

This was wonderful awkward humor, I'm looking forward to Thor 3 now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

Crosspost from BSS

I'm glad they're having fun with this and doing this sort of thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That had Taika Waititi's fingerprints all over it. If you haven't watched What We Do in the Shadows yet get on that ASAP.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vintersorg posted:

That had Taika Waititi's fingerprints all over it. If you haven't watched What We Do in the Shadows yet get on that ASAP.

Yeah, Waititi directed that short and it very clearly shows.

His stuff is fantastic, but I know his comedic style can be divisive. He's very much in the style of The Office, which some people find too deadpan and awkward, but I love it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, Waititi directed that short and it very clearly shows.

His stuff is fantastic, but I know his comedic style can be divisive. He's very much in the style of The Office, which some people find too deadpan and awkward, but I love it.

My local indie theater was showing the trailer for What We Do in the Shadows in front of everything for like a year and I was convinced it looked like the most obnoxious movie ever, but after all the good reviews I checked it out and it was actually brilliant.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
BSS found something. Deathstroke is in Justice League.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Now I'm sad it won't be Manu Bennet

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

BSS found something. Deathstroke is in Justice League.

Ben Affleck himself posted it.

https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/770259217940746245

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Ben Affleck himself posted it.

Cythereal's post confirmed that an Affleck had posted it and I was reasonably certain it wasn't Casey but thanks for confirming :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That costume is... not great.

He looks like a pixelized fighting game character from the PS1 brought to life. They should have gone with the new Rebirth costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It does remind me of one of the cyber-ninjas from Mortal Kombat. At first, with no sense of scale, I thought it was an awkwardly-waddling giant robot.

• Locked thread