Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Belzac posted:

Lightning debuff slows down people when it's fully triggered. Paraylze is a different debuff.

Ahhh ok thank you. I read somewhere that Earth slows Ki recovery and I'm gonna assume Fire sets people on fire. What do the air/water enchantments do?

edit: i also read that stacking multiple elemental status effects also gives a new one that's like a purple ying-yang symbol but folks couldn't figure out what it did .... any word on that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the full game will probably encourage a lot of weapon swapping considering how fast you earn skill points with a fresh weapon. hell, you get so many points you will probably end up with 1 weapon maxed and being forced to spend points in the other ones even if just to get the passives (do these work when you don't have the weapon equipped?)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is exceptional how much improvement went from Alpha to Beta.

This was a game I could not even bother to finish the demo for to a pre-order

Yeah, I've only just got to the dock area in the first level and I'm already sold, unless the rest of the game is somehow Lost Izalith-tier trash.

What are the big changes from the alpha? I missed out on that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Davincie posted:

the full game will probably encourage a lot of weapon swapping considering how fast you earn skill points with a fresh weapon. hell, you get so many points you will probably end up with 1 weapon maxed and being forced to spend points in the other ones even if just to get the passives (do these work when you don't have the weapon equipped?)

Seems like the max HP bonus in the axe skill tree required an axe to be equipped in one of your slots but you dot have to actually be wielding it, you can have a different weapon out with the axe on your back & still get the bonus. I assume other passive work the same way

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I've only just got to the dock area in the first level and I'm already sold, unless the rest of the game is somehow Lost Izalith-tier trash.

There was durability and your weapons broke down really fast which is why there's diablo style loot. Now your weapons don't break and there's familiarity which boosts attack power but there seems to be max familiarity on weapons so you'll still be switching up weapons anyways

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
looool before I started playing I saw a tip in the OP of this thread to keep an eye out for durability, and it's been driving me nuts that none of my weapons have been breaking and I couldn't find their durability rating. If that was for the alpha demo that makes a lot more sense. What's this whetstone I found good for, then?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dual katanas are pretty good imo. The kick + 2 slashes followup does a ton of damage and eats through ki if blocked, the stand in place and mash triangle high stance move mulches ki-broken yokai faster than just about anything, and the charged draw slash is super fast and does bonkers damage. Like I posted a video earlier of hitting Muneshige with it for over 2000 dmg and it's not like I was crazy overlevelled, I never went above 12 skill with that character.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 28, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Deified Data posted:

As someone said already, durability was hilariously low. 6 enemies before break low. The combat has also been almost completely changed. It originally felt very Bushido blade. Most enemies, and you, died in three solid hits. Running out of endurance was also a death sentence. The combat prioritized parries over dodges because of it. It was much better to drain your opponents endurance than use your own.

It actually had very intense one-on-one combat, but the game melted down the second there were two enemies. Now, the damage is reduced and the endurance penalties are extremely nerfed. It feels much better for its level design. The Nier alpha would have been great for a different level and enemy design, but it really did not work for a dark souls style level design.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lets hang out posted:

Dual katanas are pretty good imo. The kick + 2 slashes followup does a ton of damage and eats through ki if blocked, the stand in place and mash triangle high stance move mulches ki-broken yokai faster than just about anything, and the charged draw flash is super fast and does bonkers damage. Like I posted a video earlier of hitting Muneshige with it for over 2000 dmg and it's not like I was crazy overlevelled, I never went above 12 skill with that character.

Dual slashes on low stance is incredible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anybody have a good guide for cave lady?

i know i need to be packing needles in case i get paralysed but what is she weak to, what moves in each form should i go in on? is there a good weapon to roll with? etc. thanks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

Dual katanas are pretty good imo. The kick + 2 slashes followup does a ton of damage and eats through ki if blocked, the stand in place and mash triangle high stance move mulches ki-broken yokai faster than just about anything, and the charged draw flash is super fast and does bonkers damage. Like I posted a video earlier of hitting Muneshige with it for over 2000 dmg and it's not like I was crazy overlevelled, I never went above 12 skill with that character.

yeah dual katanas aren't that bad, I beat Muneshige in a few tries with that strategy as well.

I suck against the vampire lady tho, I could never hit her with anything other than low stance quick attacks without getting pummeled in retaliation

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Been wanting a Samurai Souls basically since Dark Souls, so this has been a nice surprise. They've covered just about everything you could want from a fantasy Japan game. The only thing I haven't seen is a proper set of ninja pjs.

Do we know if there's going to be full PVP in the final product or just the asynchronous stuff?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i know i need to be packing needles in case i get paralysed but what is she weak to, what moves in each form should i go in on? is there a good weapon to roll with? etc. thanks.

i used axe. dodge , hit once , dodge, hit once, repeat until she is tired. unleash your special attack, kill her. you can forward dodge through all of her long range attack so stay at medium range to bait those

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Try and stay away from her until she does a laggy attack like her paralyze shot (which you can dodge through fairly easily). Don't bother getting close to her because her two melee combos can eat through your ki really fast if you block. Most of her attacks are actually pretty easy to punish, but be wary of her melee combos cause they can be either 2-hit or 3-hit attacks. It's a very hit and run fight.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think you should stay close, not close enough for her to instantly hit you but close enough that you can punish everything she does. You should be blocking whenever you can because her tornado spin comes out super fast and will gently caress you up if you're in range. Dash sideways through the paralysis wave in mid stance (or forward through it if you're low weight + brave). After her attacks just move up and hit her once or twice then back up again. Be wary of her melee combos because sometimes she throws in a third hit at the end. She has a tell for her grab, I don't know how to describe it but she kind of stumbles forward, just be ready to back dash. When she's in the air just stand in place, block her knives, and dodge her paralysis waves. You can snipe her with arrows to knock her out of the air if you think you have time. When you knock her down don't get too excited because she likes to stand up with her grab move so back up early. You can parry her divebomb and it will knock her down but same warning about the grab.

Outside her boss room, where the smaller ogre guy and big cyclops are sitting together there's either a corpse or a developer revenant that will drop a full archer set with paralysis resist. It's also lightweight so it's a great set for her.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Davincie posted:

i used axe. dodge , hit once , dodge, hit once, repeat until she is tired. unleash your special attack, kill her. you can forward dodge through all of her long range attack so stay at medium range to bait those

This is how I did it. If you feel brave you can get greedy and get two hits in after certain melee combos even just stay in on her and guard her twirl since it takes less ki to block than you'd think.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How do you guard break? I have the skill but no instructions. :iiam:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

poptart_fairy posted:

How do you guard break? I have the skill but no instructions. :iiam:

Breaking someone's guard is just attacking them while they're blocking until their stamina empties. Comes with a special *TING* sound when you do it. If you mean Tempest you need to tap L1 right after you do that. It's easier to do paired with the skill after it, Backwave. You just tap L1 one more time.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Spear has been pretty fun so far, but some of the moves cut down on the weapons range so much, which is kind of silly considering that should be one of the weapon's major advantages! Silly moves aside, it has a nice mix of skills and a defensive twirl that allows you to set up a nice power stab to humanoid opponents that's are on the ground. Mid stance thrust is also pretty reliable for sniping enemies from afar, so it works surprisingly well when fighting groups of foes. Still takes a back seat to the katana for me, but so far it's become a fun back up. As for ranged weapons, I think I prefer the tanegashima over the bow just because old blackpowder guns are nifty.

Also, as a super specific, and minor, nitpick, some of the story stuff with regards to the English sailors is a bit iffy historically speaking ( if one considers the 1600 date in the game). (I had to look it up, because it's not really my area and I didn't remember, but William's crewmen should be Dutch. I'm not sure if the game specifies this though. Also unimportant in the grand scheme of things.)

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah farming dead players for gear will get you plenty of good stuff so going into a trapped room after a glowy doesn't feel worth it.

it would be cool if there were artifact class items that could only be found via exploration but i guess that would make the drops useless instead so idk how to balance it.

At the residence with the oni and the key, I found a level 19 player revevant who was all purple gear. Farming him twice got me the entire Warrior of the West armor set and the spear, and its was a huge boon. I can only imagine he intentionally went back to near the start of the game and killed himself on the oni so new players like me could get his gear.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, as a super specific, and minor, nitpick, some of the story stuff with regards to the English sailors is a bit iffy historically speaking ( if one considers the 1600 date in the game). (I had to look it up, because it's not really my area and I didn't remember, but William's crewmen should be Dutch. I'm not sure if the game specifies this though. Also unimportant in the grand scheme of things.)

William Adams looking like Geralt of Rivia, being able to use various types of japanese weapons, rescuing kodama, and using ninjutsu and omnyo magic is 100% historically accurate

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I guess this game doesn't have a "quit anywhere to save" function like Dark Souls? I lost about 30 minutes of progress when I exited out near that treasure cave on the beach. Are shrines effectively save points then?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Deified Data posted:

So I guess this game doesn't have a "quit anywhere to save" function like Dark Souls? I lost about 30 minutes of progress when I exited out near that treasure cave on the beach. Are shrines effectively save points then?

Correct. They are your bonfires, if you will.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

Correct. They are your bonfires, if you will.

Yes, but like they said, you can quit Dark Souls anywhere and it saves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with that so long as all the levels have the abundance of shortcuts that the first demo level has. It just took me by surprise.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Deified Data posted:

I'm fine with that so long as all the levels have the abundance of shortcuts that the first demo level has. It just took me by surprise.

If you quit mid mission (going all the way back to the world map/mission selection) EVERYTHING gets reset including loot

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fire Barrel posted:

It mentions that he's Dutch in some of the opening mission text. Its a small detail, but it is there.

I like the spear for the good crowd control stuff, especially during the twilight first boss. Makes clearing out the flunkies a lot safer. Katana is still my primary, because that counter move is poetry in motion.

Also, beat the Undefeated of the West boss. I found that mid-stance Katana with a square>triangle combo does a bunch of ki damage and knockback, which can knock him into a tired state for a critical stab. Also, dodge-rolling towards him works against his iaido and quickslash, allowing for some breathing room to restore ki or get in a few hits to triangle to crit stab. I think I only used one elixir against him during my first win.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zTJDaIqfz4

excuse me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lakbay posted:

If you quit mid mission (going all the way back to the world map/mission selection) EVERYTHING gets reset including loot

Yeah I noticed that and was kind of surprised. I guess it's not that big a deal since the loot itself was randomized but it was weird getting the "ghost dialogue" from corpses again

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Can't beat that quick scope.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I feel like spears have a tiny sweet spot right at their tip that does double damage if you hit with it (pokes don't count obv)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

lets hang out posted:

Breaking someone's guard is just attacking them while they're blocking until their stamina empties. Comes with a special *TING* sound when you do it. If you mean Tempest you need to tap L1 right after you do that. It's easier to do paired with the skill after it, Backwave. You just tap L1 one more time.

Oh. :downs:

The instructions could have been clearer! They don't mention pressing buttons or anything, just that I break their guard using my guard? But I guard and it's just two dudes holding their weapons up against one another. God I love this game but the writing is pretty wonky.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium posted:

They're seriously limiting access to areas based on what time it is? That's loving lame.

Come on, I just want to play the stupid Twilight caves, game!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Interesting bit of history:

In 1600, there actually was a William in Japan. William Adams was an Englishman working with the Dutch East India Trading Company, who came in on the only boat from the five-ship expedition to make it. They landed in Usuki, got called pirates by a Jesuit priest and got tossed in Osaka Castle. He was questioned by Tokugawa, and ended up getting on his good side to stop the execution. After that he stayed in Japan while the other survivors left to open up trade, becoming Ieyasu's trade advisor and a full fledged Samurai under the name Miura Anjin. Also, he ended up getting the Jesuits kicked out of Japan in 1614, inadvertently creating the Christian suppression movement.

So, hey, good threads there, Team Ninja.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

looool before I started playing I saw a tip in the OP of this thread to keep an eye out for durability, and it's been driving me nuts that none of my weapons have been breaking and I couldn't find their durability rating. If that was for the alpha demo that makes a lot more sense. What's this whetstone I found good for, then?

Sorry about that, I haven't had time to update the OP tips since the alpha to the changes made to the beta.

I'll go ahead and edit out the stuff that no longer applies and then try to re-write the thing when I get some more free time.

Snak posted:

Yes, but like they said, you can quit Dark Souls anywhere and it saves.

Its true, but for whatever psychological reason I always exit Dark Souls at bonfires anyways :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

J.A.B.C. posted:

In 1600, there actually was a William in Japan. William Adams was an Englishman working with the Dutch East India Trading Company, who came in on the only boat from the five-ship expedition to make it. They landed in Usuki, got called pirates by a Jesuit priest and got tossed in Osaka Castle. He was questioned by Tokugawa, and ended up getting on his good side to stop the execution. After that he stayed in Japan while the other survivors left to open up trade, becoming Ieyasu's trade advisor and a full fledged Samurai under the name Miura Anjin. Also, he ended up getting the Jesuits kicked out of Japan in 1614, inadvertently creating the Christian suppression movement.

The novel Shogun is loosely based on this in fact

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

J.A.B.C. posted:

When did the Jesuits first show up at Japan, and how?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

When did the Jesuits first show up at Japan, and how?

Mid 1500s, starting with Francis Xavier, a Portuguese Jesuit who traveled across the 'Orient', including India and China.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

J.A.B.C. posted:

Welcome to 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've been flailing about with the dual katanas, but having problems because I'm terrible, and if the consensus is that they're pretty crap, what's a better weapon to use? I mean souls-style straight swords were always OP, so are regular katanas the way to go in the demo?