Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For reference, we have internal documents for Al Qaeda talking about them. When Al Qaeda thinks your interpretation of Islam is too extreme, you should probably take the loving hint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
One day there will be a terrorist group that will make ISIS look like Barney & Friends

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

puck puck goose posted:

One day there will be a terrorist group that will make ISIS look like Barney & Friends

Like you didn't know this had to exist somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56hZFr_LW8

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
:eyepoop:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

puck puck goose posted:

ISIS isn't a terrorist group

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

this fish flies posted:

So I added a co-worker on facebook because he's moving out of state and I thought it would be nice to get updates. But then this popped up. Like, we all know he's gay, but until now it's just been statuses about church and god and Britney Spears. I don't think he knows the way to hide likes, or at least keep them out of everyone's feed.

So he likes Chuck Tingle. Who doesn't?

"Pounded in the butt by my doppelganger who was pounded in the butt by mpreg"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Maybe he didn't realize his daughter was building a pander bear?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand it is blatantly manipulative to tell kids their bear isn't complete without all the accessories, but on the other hand it's a customizable product for children an entire retail job is based around and they're obviously going to be upselling. Pretty much every product pandering to kids is "and don't forget this add-on" oriented so it's goofy to be surprised or overly put off by that

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Knormal posted:

Maybe he didn't realize his daughter was building a pander bear?

:bravo:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aesop Poprock posted:

On the one hand it is blatantly manipulative to tell kids their bear isn't complete without all the accessories, but on the other hand it's a customizable product for children an entire retail job is based around and they're obviously going to be upselling. Pretty much every product pandering to kids is "and don't forget this add-on" oriented so it's goofy to be surprised or overly put off by that

It's like how they used to have all those awesome commercials about how GI Joe can't defeat Cobra Commander's awesome new acid shooting snake tank without their armored joe battle jeep or whatever. And then you go to the store and the fifty dollar toy car doesn't even include any of the action figures.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Isn't there some place in Europe that banned advertising to kids? I don't care enough to look it up and I'm hoping that someone will just tell me, tia.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That sounds like something Germans would legislate.

Edit: I'm wrong once again.

Wikipedia posted:

In the United Kingdom, Greece, Denmark, and Belgium advertising to children is restricted. In Quebec, Sweden and Norway advertising to children under the age of 12 is illegal.

The European Union also has framework legislation in place which sets down minimum provisions on advertising to children for all its member states.

link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_to_children#Legislation

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Aug 30, 2016

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Thank you TLB.

I think that making it illegal might be worth looking into, but I can't see America ever doing anything like that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was never upsold on anything while shopping with my girlfriend and her daughter at Build-A-Bear, but my girlfriend was really good at picking out an armful of stuff for a teddy bear her daughter hasn't seen or cared about since the moment we hit the exit of the mall so the staff probably didn't bother messing with an already sure thing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah, it's not that I disagree with the sentiment, but the sheer outrage at those Build-a-Bear vultures just tickled me.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I don't know how TV is in the US at the moment, but Japan has that pandering stuff down to a science. My daughter watches the Sunday morning cartoons (think Power Rangers for girls) and they even get the same animation team as the show to do the commercials. There are literally no cuts or transitions between the show and the commercial. The main character holds up her magic wand or whatever, the camera closes in on it, and the next shot is the same wand with the same background with the same character talking, except now it's the commercial. They're an inch from just have the character mug the camera and say "Go tell Mom and Dad to buy this for you, or we'll die!"

That, and the movies. Every one of these kids cartoons puts out a movie or two every year, and they show the trailers for the movie during every broadcast at least three times. Then, at the end of the broadcast, Crayon Shinchan tells you that the next movie is "only 15 weeks away! See you there!"

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mezzanine posted:

I don't know how TV is in the US at the moment, but Japan has that pandering stuff down to a science. My daughter watches the Sunday morning cartoons (think Power Rangers for girls) and they even get the same animation team as the show to do the commercials. There are literally no cuts or transitions between the show and the commercial. The main character holds up her magic wand or whatever, the camera closes in on it, and the next shot is the same wand with the same background with the same character talking, except now it's the commercial. They're an inch from just have the character mug the camera and say "Go tell Mom and Dad to buy this for you, or we'll die!"

That, and the movies. Every one of these kids cartoons puts out a movie or two every year, and they show the trailers for the movie during every broadcast at least three times. Then, at the end of the broadcast, Crayon Shinchan tells you that the next movie is "only 15 weeks away! See you there!"

Jesus I've seen this parodied a lot in various places but I had no idea it was actually like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mezzanine posted:

There are literally no cuts or transitions between the show and the commercial.

There's one other type of broadcast I know of that works in exactly the same way: right wing talk radio.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mezzanine posted:

The main character holds up her magic wand or whatever, the camera closes in on it, and the next shot is the same wand with the same background with the same character talking, except now it's the commercial. They're an inch from just have the character mug the camera and say "Go tell Mom and Dad to buy this for you, or we'll die!"

So it's literally like that Simpsons parody then

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i mean, with all the friggin product placement American TV isn't getting very far off

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Wasn't Adam Sandler's masterpiece Jack and Jill just a big advert for a cruise ship, and Coke, and Dunkin Donuts and a thousand other things?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Wasn't Adam Sandler's masterpiece Jack and Jill just a big advert for a cruise ship, and Coke, and Dunkin Donuts and a thousand other things?

Ftfy

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus I've seen this parodied a lot in various places but I had no idea it was actually like that.

Even that has stopped bothering me because of the latest trend: literally repeating something an absurd amount of times.

I'm trying to find the commercial for "Pokemon Noodles", which is just cup ramen with Pokemon stuff in it and on the cup design. The announcer kind of sing / raps and says "POKEMON NOODLE!" at least 20 times in under 30 seconds, and I'm not even exaggerating. I've always noticed how trends from the US show up in Japan 5-6 years later, so this is "HEAD ON!" reincarnate.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Facebook keeps giving me ads for weird Kickstarters.

Edit:

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. Guess I should actually check out GBS sometimes.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Thinky Whale posted:

Facebook keeps giving me ads for weird Kickstarters.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536751

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Do they make Kaepernick Bingo Cards because I'm pretty sure this ticks off every box of this conversation

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
For people who usually go "What white privilege I ain't got no priv!" they sure do love trying to point out the privilege in that football player.

I feel weird that this story is basically the only thing I know about sports for the last 6 months.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

CeramicPig posted:

In before no ring.

Look at those hands. They are clearly meant to be the goatse hands.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Pot Of Shoe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc85QCF5414&t=1312s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's one other type of broadcast I know of that works in exactly the same way: right wing talk radio.

It's how all broadcasts used to work. Sheriff Andy Griffith would be providing sage advice to Opie and then next thing you know he's sitting down with Barney Fife and a bowl of Grape Nuts.

But yeah, talk radio has now started that and it's annoying as hell. On the few occasions I listen to it, it's very jarring and doesn't make me want to purchase the products in the least bit.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
No screenshots because it's my mom, but she went on a rant this morning (prompted by the football thing) about how racial tensions in this country have never been higher and it's all thanks to Obama and she can't believe that her son and his friends are going to be voting for 4 more years of it (implying that we're all Hillary supporters). I asked her if she thinks voting Trump into office would fix all of the racial relation issues we're currently experiencing and, of course, the answer to that was "Yes".

Why are middle aged white people's brains so broken?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
https://twitter.com/MplsCommunityEd/status/770287958628773889

e:

Here's a screen cap from the MCE class schedule:

Gross Dude has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

fullroundaction posted:

No screenshots because it's my mom, but she went on a rant this morning (prompted by the football thing) about how racial tensions in this country have never been higher and it's all thanks to Obama and she can't believe that her son and his friends are going to be voting for 4 more years of it (implying that we're all Hillary supporters). I asked her if she thinks voting Trump into office would fix all of the racial relation issues we're currently experiencing and, of course, the answer to that was "Yes".

Why are middle aged white people's brains so broken?

I'm no expert, but I think racial tensions may have been just a little higher during the 50's and 60's.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think the reason people get all bent out of shape about what Kaepernick is doing is because it runs counter to their narrative that believes we live in a post racial society. But instead of them owning up to the fact that they get uncomfortable about football players pointing out inequalities black people face they focus on how unpatriotic he is for not standing in the pledge, how entitled he is for complaining about it as a famous quarterback being paid millions, or that he's just doing it for attention to prop up a flagging career.

The idea that he's raising a serious personal concern gets ignored like every other loud voice trying to bring up racial inequality because certain white people don't want to address it at all.

If Kaepernick was just some poor nobody who happened to be biracial and adopted, you think they'd give a poo poo? They'd just dismiss him as being lazy or bitter in that scenario.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Gross Dude posted:

https://twitter.com/MplsCommunityEd/status/770287958628773889

e:

Here's a screen cap from the MCE class schedule:

That's so sad. Then again, my local community college has a course on talking to ghosts, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

hyperhazard posted:

That's so sad. Then again, my local community college has a course on talking to ghosts, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

There's a happy ending though, didn't you read the first tweet? They gone!

I have to imagine that some state higher education board came in and was like "hahaha, no."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

timp posted:

I have to imagine that some state higher education board came in and was like "hahaha, no."

More like "hahaha, no. :commissar:" :tinfoil:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

timp posted:

I hope they don't cancel Ladders class too! It's the best

https://youtu.be/bdIj74cyO30

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mezzanine posted:

Back in the 80's Reagan and the US government struck down/introduced some new laws saying that companies could advertise to kids, and cartoons no longer had to be "educational" and that is why we had a boom in shows like He-Man and Thundercats and Bravestarr and a million other shows that were around just to sell toys. I remember being a young kid and not really questioning why every episode of Masters of the Universe introduced a new character (never to be seen again) but I did question why my mom wouldn't let me get the sweet toy based on that character.

Yea free market!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
To be fair, cartoons were lame as poo poo before then.