Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

And Avengers Are-
Ha ha!

I've only read that Giant-Size because of I heard it was a good standalone Arcade story and gosh durn it, it was. The Dazzler one-shot from years ago during the Necrosha period is a fun Arcade "romp" as the kids say, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Waffleman_ posted:

I read a couple more issues of Hellcat today, and it feels kinda weird for Doreen to just appear in another book, what with how kinda standalone her book is.

Well Patsy and Jen got a cameo in Squirrel Girl a few months back so it's all fair

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LUKE CAGE #1 DAD

YOU BIG DORK

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there supposed to be some X event about them moving to a different planet?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Oh god you hit that issue.

That issue nearly made me take Patsy Walker off my pull list.

I really don't get why people hate that issue so much.

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be some X event about them moving to a different planet?

Yea it was called Vol 2 of Uncanny Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

That was the rumor coming out of Secret Wars.
The Xavier School was relocated to Limbo, which may have caused miscommunication.

e: The rumor was definitely after UA, though that was the baddies mission.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh noooo CWII happened, why'd it get sad?!

E: JUBILEE!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

I really don't get why people hate that issue so much.

It's a bad Arcade issue, which before that issue was considered a logical impossibility. It redefines the term "filler issue", the rules of the game that Arcade's subjecting them to don't make any sense, it's got no sense of narrative flow, and worst of all it's just oppressively boring. All of this, with that extra caveat of "It's an Arcade issue of comics, which should be incredibly fun if absolutely nothing else". It was so bad I seriously wondered if maybe a laid-back, hangout comic only could last a couple of issues before becoming insanely boring because absolutely nothing about the issue worked.

Also I don't like Allegri's art and especially don't think it fits for Patsy Walker.

I seriously thought it might've been just me extremely disliking the issue so I queried the thread and virtually everyone who pulls Patsy Walker agreed with me, but yeah. Man that's a dire issue of comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

It's a bad Arcade issue, which before that issue was considered a logical impossibility. It redefines the term "filler issue", the rules of the game that Arcade's subjecting them to don't make any sense, it's got no sense of narrative flow, and worst of all it's just oppressively boring. All of this, with that extra caveat of "It's an Arcade issue of comics, which should be incredibly fun if absolutely nothing else". It was so bad I seriously wondered if maybe a laid-back, hangout comic only could last a couple of issues before becoming insanely boring because absolutely nothing about the issue worked.

Also I don't like Allegri's art and especially don't think it fits for Patsy Walker.

I seriously thought it might've been just me extremely disliking the issue so I queried the thread and virtually everyone who pulls Patsy Walker agreed with me, but yeah. Man that's a dire issue of comics.

Everything else I may disagree with but can chalk up to difference of opinions, but I don't get why Allegri's art would be a dealbreaker when it's not that different in style or tone from Williams'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The uncolored early preview of that art made me want to pick the series back up.
Then I forgot about it.

e: ya

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26135/patsy_walker_meets_natasha_allegri

:swoon:

I wish there were comments on the article. If people are already pissed at cute girl focused Marvel comics...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Williams' clean lines and stark contours make for very visually impressive and striking pencils, and I love her character designs. In comparison, Allegri's pencils have really fluffy and curvy character designs so nothing really jumps off the page. That Arcade issue felt like I was reading a 22-page Love Is... comic, at least to me.

ed: actually, those pencils look a lot less worse then the issue itself, so maybe it was just a poo poo colorization job. I still don't really like Allegri's art, but that's a lot less actively unpleasant to me than what I felt was an overly saccharine and cloying issue of comics.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 31, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Toxx, were you familiar with Allegri at all prior to this? I feel like knowing Bee & Puppycat's tone made her seem like an obvious fit, but I suppose if you don't have that context it might come off different.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I saw the pilot and found it, again, oppressively cloying and cutesy. Also, from what I've read of TV reviews it continued/doubled down on being oppressively cloying and cutesy , so.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

The uncolored early preview of that art made me want to pick the series back up.
Then I forgot about it.

I couldn't remember what issue y'all were talking about until fansub posted this, but I actually liked this issue including the art which I thought fit Patsy just fine.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Then I forgot about it.

Why is Doctor Light in this? Isn't he a Capcom property?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So it's really just a difference of opinion. I found the issue fine and and adorable side story with cute art. I'm not looking for The Vision in Hellcat, i'm looking for Awe and Haha from it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When did Jubilee become a teen mom?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

She found a baby and decided to adopt it, called it Shogo. It happened in I want to say the NOW Adjective-less X-men?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, has turning to vapour always been a thing all Marvel vampires can do, because I've never seen her do it before this issue of Hellcat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

First issue of X-Men (2013).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How is a bad Arcade issue a logical impossibility? Because Arcade is generally terrible. Seems more like a logical certainty to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every now and then you need to have heroes trapped in pinball tables.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Use the Disney factor to send Arcade to Tron.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

How is a bad Arcade issue a logical impossibility? Because Arcade is generally terrible. Seems more like a logical certainty to me.

His best moment is when be brainwashed Colossus into The Proletarian

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

Ultimate Rebirth. : we promise Wanda and Pietro aren't going to gently caress this time.

The AN Wolverine Annual is pretty adorable Laura and Gwen switch bodies, and hilarity ensues with them trying to figure out how to operate each other bodies, with the healing and the claws and the super strength and webs

Wasn't that literally the plot of one of the worst issues of Ultimate Spider-Man? How did they pull that one off?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume rape wasn't involved.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't that literally the plot of one of the worst issues of Ultimate Spider-Man? How did they pull that one off?

What is this story?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

What is this story?

It was an issue where Spider-Man and Wolverine get their minds swapped by Jean Grey as punishment for Logan hitting on her. I don't remember the exact issue but the story was called 'Jump the Shark'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's something delightfully charming about one of Ms. Marvel's more recurring enemies thus far being a troupe of Canadian Ninjas that wear crocs.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

X-O posted:

Anyone have any theories on what this new MU project is that Marvel's teasing?

The Star Wars/Marvel crossover event of the century will take place when it is revealed that Spider Man's Spider Sense is actually made possible by Peter Parkers sensitivity to The Force. Featuring Yoda's force ghost, and also Psylocke because Land is doing the art and he just kinda put her in there even though we told him not to.

twistedmentat posted:

She found a baby and decided to adopt it, called it Shogo. It happened in I want to say the NOW Adjective-less X-men?

Well, she didn't really decide to adopt him, she was just taking care of this baby who needed a home and then kinda realized one day that she had become this kid's mom.

Also, it turned out that the baby was a trojan horse than was carrying a sentient strain of bacteria that wanted to attack the X-Men, and this bacteria 'reset' the baby, wiping out any experience he had before that point. Now Jubilee is the only mother this kid has ever really had, I guess?

Then Jubilee met grown-up future Shogo who was flying around in a suit of Sentinel armor.

Comic books.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If Marvel ever does anything bad to Kamala's parents I will loving riot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Marvel's equivalent to DC Rebirth would probably be something like Miracleman showing up in the main universe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

If Marvel ever does anything bad to Kamala's parents I will loving riot.
I'm sure they'll be fine.

...as long as Wilson is writing the book, at least.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon Marvel's equivalent to DC Rebirth would probably be something like Miracleman showing up in the main universe.

Kind of like Angela did?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well that was the big rumor when Age of Ultron (the comic not the movie) came out, but that turned out to be false. I guess now's as good a time as any if they're gonna do that.

e: even though I think that'd be kinda dumb but hey whatever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They will, I'm certain, fold Miracleman into the mainstream Marvel universe eventually, but if you asked me to lay down money, I wouldn't bet on it happening in the next year.

And absolutely not with Greg Land attached, c'mon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They would've done that in secret wars

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kind of like Angela did?

Well nobody every cared about Angela before she became a Marvel character, so it would be a bit different in that regard.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Malice Unbound

Sue Storm as you've never seen her before! The hero once called Invisible Woman is back on Earth for the first time since the smash-hit SECRET WARS—but how and why had she returned? Does it have anything to do with her deadly new powers?? Or why she's using them to carve a path of death and destruction toward Antarctica??? And why she's doing it all—TOPLESS????

Eyes front, true believers! Rated T+

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel released another MU teaser with Leinil Yu's name attached. So that's four big name artists and one writer. A rotating art team on one book or several books? Or something else altogether?

With McNiven, Kubert, Land, and Yu along with Bunn writing it seems almost certain it's X-Men related in some way because they've all done a lot of X-Men work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Marvel released another MU teaser with Leinil Yu's name attached. So that's four big name artists and one writer. A rotating art team on one book or several books? Or something else altogether?

With McNiven, Kubert, Land, and Yu along with Bunn writing it seems almost certain it's X-Men related in some way because they've all done a lot of X-Men work.

Maggot Unleashed

That's right, Maggot will be the new face of the X-Men.

• Locked thread