Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to Trump saying something else that is stupid so that the thread moves on from this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's just saying low level staff members shouldn't promise specific policy movement, which is a good thing because low level staffers don't control that kind of thing and it would be making an empty promise.

Yeah letting random volunteers make policy promises is never a good idea.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pellisworth posted:

if only you were one of the quiet ones

Here, read this essay by famous evolutionary biologist and agnostic Stephen Jay Gould:

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html

Thanks for the link. If nothing else good came from people hopelessly interacting with Shbobdb, at least this is interesting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

It's really easy. Grow up in a secular Jewish neighborhood with "angry atheist" parents, live in Germany and hang out with Turks and anarchists, move to Indiana and meet a bunch of loving terrifying Christians (as well as a few good ones), move to very secular NYC and surround yourself with secular folks, move to California and likewise surround yourself with secular folks. If I'm talking with someone who is actually religious and isn't my wife, 9/10 times they're going to be Muslim, probably at a bar where we'll be drinking.

you understand you actually likely knew a ton of christians, muslims, jews, and probably at least a few other faiths in this little globetrotting life, right? You get that's the main reason we're making fun of you?

Like, jokes, frogs, all that, but someone has to explain the bit to this mook.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grouchio posted:

So how did that visit to Mexico go?

A massive success according to the media, in reality it was nothing whatsoever and they're hoping nobody asks "so who's paying for the wall" afterward because they noticeably ignored that particular elephant (spoiler alert: everyone immediately asked that)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

edit:

no, read the article

Do you think "Politics" and "Religion" constitute overlapping magisteria? Do you think they should?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

you understand you actually likely knew a ton of christians, muslims, jews, and probably at least a few other faiths in this little globetrotting life, right? You get that's the main reason we're making fun of you?

Like, jokes, frogs, all that, but someone has to explain the bit to this mook.

If I can't tell, who cares? It's only when people get up in your face about it that it gets distasteful. Pray at home and in Church all you want.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Not sure if this got posted before another episode of internet atheists being tedious, but Trump's TV spending less than advertised. Less money on hand than expected? Trump can't try to steal any money that goes to tv networks?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

If I can't tell, who cares? It's only when people get up in your face about it that it gets distasteful. Pray at home and in Church all you want.

because your entire point these so many pages has been 'I'm a baby man afraid of anyone saying the word god around me because clearly they're preaching at me, and that's because the very few Christians I've met (because I am a good atheist boy who only makes Acceptable Friends) have all been horrible'.

I would put money on the fact actually being the vast majority of religious people you've met have been perfectly fine, even if they'd agree with the utter horror of Clinton...using her church's motto as inspiration?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah about that relentless public showing of one's beliefs...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Drunk Theory posted:

Thanks for the link. If nothing else good came from people hopelessly interacting with Shbobdb, at least this is interesting.

I link the NOMA article anytime "new atheism" or related ideas come up.

To me, new atheism is basically fundamentalist Christianity in reverse. Young-Earth creationists use their religion to make claims about the natural world, which is the domain of science, so they run into conflict. New atheists do the opposite and use science and empiricism to make claims about religion. Since religion isn't something you can study empirically, science can't actually say all that much about it. I find most new atheists do not understand basic theory of science.

Most scientists I've worked with are religious to some degree and many hold beliefs similar to NOMA. Gould is essentially arguing that religion and science are both valuable but are separate "magisteria" and they don't actually overlap or conflict at all.

New atheists and fundamentalist Christians are both toxic in the same way; they're exclusionist rather than inclusive and respectful of other belief systems.

edit: and they're both bad science. Internet atheists are really bad at science which is pretty ironic.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 31, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

because your entire point these so many pages has been 'I'm a baby man afraid of anyone saying the word god around me because clearly they're preaching at me, and that's because the very few Christians I've met (because I am a good atheist boy who only makes Acceptable Friends) have all been horrible'.

I would put money on the fact actually being the vast majority of religious people you've met have been perfectly fine, even if they'd agree with the utter horror of Clinton...using her church's motto as inspiration?

No, my point is that Clinton has been really playing up the "God" angle this campaign and I don't like that. I'm fine with pandering but she's been working a very sincere angle that I find discomforting.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 31, 2016

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
It's been at least 10 pages of Shbobdb's religion tantrum, you nerds know how use the ignore function right?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can someone with some power warn this idiot that he has to leave all of this bullshit in the USPOL August thread under threat of probation until November 8th?

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 31, 2016

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

No, my point is that has been really playing up the "God" angle this campaign and I don't like that.

Except they're not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

No, my point is that has been really playing up the "God" angle this campaign and I don't like that.

Right but that's, ya know, not a true thing.

Like, you've said you liked Obama's campaign and Clinton is running near the exact same style, so we're good right?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
A quick at-work search for post--Mexico trump brought up this tweet:

quote:

I.M. Important (@freelancewoman)
Donald Trump looked like "Lurch" from the Addams Family standing at that podium today. Except Lurch knew more words. #TrumpEnMexico

Noice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right but that's, ya know, not a true thing.

Like, you've said you liked Obama's campaign and Clinton is running near the exact same style, so we're good right?

Again, I'm not sure how you can qualify a feeling as "true" or "false". Even if they are the same in tenor (which I don't believe) I think it's true to say that older white religious people scare me a lot more than younger black religious people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FetusSlapper posted:

It's been at least 10 pages of Shbobdb's religion tantrum, you nerds know how use the ignore function right?

ten pages of people chasing a circular argument is nothing for this thread

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Here have a thing that may have been posted before but who the gently caress knows after all that spam:

Kellyanne Conway: If women, men had equal strength, 'rape would not exist'

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politics/kellyanne-conway-rape-comments/

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Again, I'm not sure how you can qualify a feeling as "true" or "false". Even if they are the same in tenor (which I don't believe) I think it's true to say that older white religious people scare me a lot more than younger black religious people.

I don't know.

How do you qualify a belief as "true" or "false"?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Again, I'm not sure how you can qualify a feeling as "true" or "false".

...aren't you the internet athiest saying all faith belongs in the wastebin of history?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

...aren't you the internet athiest saying all faith belongs in the wastebin of history?

this thread belongs in the wastebins of history.

Thankfully it will be in a few hours. Can we start September early?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
is the amazing atheist still loving bananas?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Personally that's how I feel but I'm fine with people practicing in the privacy of their home or church. I'm not out to convert anybody or rock the boat. I just don't want Jesus shoved in my face. I also don't like it when religion and politics mix since the results are usually incredibly toxic.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dancer posted:

Here have a thing that may have been posted before but who the gently caress knows after all that spam:

Kellyanne Conway: If women, men had equal strength, 'rape would not exist'

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politics/kellyanne-conway-rape-comments/

This was posted earlier. I wonder if Darren Sharper is going to use this defense on appeal.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ten pages of people chasing a circular argument is nothing for this thread

TeenageArchipelago posted:

this thread belongs in the wastebins of history.

Thankfully it will be in a few hours. Can we start September early?

if we had better things to do than get in circular arguments with idiots then we wouldn't be posting on the SA forums

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Personally that's how I feel but I'm fine with people practicing in the privacy of their home or church. I'm not out to convert anybody or rock the boat. I just don't want Jesus shoved in my face. I also don't like it when religion and politics mix since the results are usually incredibly toxic.

yea abolition was a bad movement

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Anybody ever heard of the Council for National Policy?

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/08/31/revealed-conway-bannon-members-secretive-group

They are listed as a hate group by the SPLC and apparently both Bannon and Conway are members along with Tony Perkins, Frank Gaffney, Jerome Corsi, and other assorted assholes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spun Dog posted:

Anybody ever heard of the Council for National Policy?

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/08/31/revealed-conway-bannon-members-secretive-group

They are listed as a hate group by the SPLC and apparently both Bannon and Conway are members along with Tony Perkins, Frank Gaffney, Jerome Corsi, and other assorted assholes.

aren't they the cool guys who helped Uganda out with their kill the gays poo poo?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea abolition was a bad movement

Weak.

Let's take a look at America right now. When you see an older white person talking about Jesus, do you think what they are saying is going to be a good thing or something hilariously over the top evil?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/771119123812257793

I feel better about the trip now.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Weak.

Let's take a look at America right now. When you see an older white person talking about Jesus, do you think what they are saying is going to be a good thing or something hilariously over the top evil?

50/50

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
Dude you have already admitted that you have very little experience with Christians, your generalizations have been called out as uninformed for ten pages, please please please just go to a church (ideally one without internet access) and educate yourself.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Do you think politics and religion are overlaping magisteria? Yes or no.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Weak.

I don't inherently think anyone 'talking about Jesus' is going to do anything good or bad based only on that knowledge of them. I just, ya know, think they like Jesus.

...Do YOU think someone is about to do or say something bad if they talk about God? Like, how hard does this go, do you assume I have any inherent virtue or lack of virtue as a Jew? What about seeing a Muslim dude praying in public, what do you feel that says about his deep inherent morality?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Plexiwatt posted:

Dude you have already admitted that you have very little experience with Christians, your generalizations have been called out as uninformed for ten pages, please please please just go to a church (ideally one without internet access) and educate yourself.

Why would I want to educate myself about something I don't care about? As long as it's not in my face, it's not an issue. What would I gain out of devoting time and energy to this task?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Weak.

I don't know. My mom is the executive director at a convent for a Catholic order of nuns. Pretty much every person there is amazing and you should go gently caress yourself (I'm an atheist).

I want nothing more sincerely for you to have to deal with people pushing religion in your face now and always. You're such a bigot

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Weak.

You could listen to the words that they're saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
jk all Christians are evil except minorities because that's not politically correct

Shbobdb posted:

Do you think politics and religion are overlaping magisteria? Yes or no.

Read the article and ask an intelligible question. You haven't done anything but skim it, I've taught dozens of discussion sections on the article and it's obvious you haven't engaged with it.

• Locked thread