Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

They will, I'm certain, fold Miracleman into the mainstream Marvel universe eventually, but if you asked me to lay down money, I wouldn't bet on it happening in the next year.

And absolutely not with Greg Land attached, c'mon.

It'll be a year before they get around to releasing the remaining unreprinted issues at this rate. A little birdy says that they wanted to have MM integrated over a year ago but it clearly did not go as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It is weird that Bunn's the only writer mentioned.

Not quite the Scott Snyder type guy to revolve a bunch of big ol' artists around, ala All-Star Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 31, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Would it have been part of Age of Ultron or Hickman's Avengers/Secret Wars? I'm wondering if Hyperion replaced an intended Miracleman on the roster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Maggot Unleashed

That's right, Maggot will be the new face of the X-Men.

It will be the triumphant return of Adam-X, the X-treme.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

They will, I'm certain, fold Miracleman into the mainstream Marvel universe eventually, but if you asked me to lay down money, I wouldn't bet on it happening in the next year.

And absolutely not with Greg Land attached, c'mon.

they already did (kind of) in Fraction's Defenders run

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The announcement will turn the world upside down! It's not MU, it's nw

NEW WOLVERINE

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Squizzle posted:

Would it have been part of Age of Ultron or Hickman's Avengers/Secret Wars? I'm wondering if Hyperion replaced an intended Miracleman on the roster.

Hyperion does feel weird in there, but I just figured he was a pet character of Hickman that he wanted to have a more mainstream role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

It is weird that Bunn's the only writer mentioned.

Not quite the Scott Snyder type guy to revolve a bunch of big ol' artists around, ala All-Star Batman.

I liked Bunn's run on Magneto, when it wasn't tied up with events.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Hyperion does feel weird in there, but I just figured he was a pet character of Hickman that he wanted to have a more mainstream role.

It only seems off to me because why not use one of the other Hyperions already running around the Marvel universe? And the obvious answers are that Hickman's story wanted an incursion refugee there, and the other Hyperions all have some baggage.

But even factoring with that, if you told me that it was originally planned as Miracleman in that roll, it'd make a whole lot of sense to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

It only seems off to me because why not use one of the other Hyperions already running around the Marvel universe? And the obvious answers are that Hickman's story wanted an incursion refugee there, and the other Hyperions all have some baggage.

But even factoring with that, if you told me that it was originally planned as Miracleman in that roll, it'd make a whole lot of sense to me.

Weren't all the previous incarnations of Hyperion villains? It seems to me it would just be easier to grab an alternate u good guy version at that point.

Tbh I'd rather just see the miracleman u that already exists get more issues. I was reading the reprints marvel did last year (?) and just the stories about the people living in that place were cool, so was the art. Plus wasn't he kind of an rear end in a top hat dictator by the end? I guess they could've made him a bad guy or something, but it would be weird to bring him in as a hero.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Great Lakes Avengers #1 preview
http://www.cbr.com/great-lakes-avengers/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Weren't all the previous incarnations of Hyperion villains? It seems to me it would just be easier to grab an alternate u good guy version at that point.

Tbh I'd rather just see the miracleman u that already exists get more issues. I was reading the reprints marvel did last year (?) and just the stories about the people living in that place were cool, so was the art. Plus wasn't he kind of an rear end in a top hat dictator by the end? I guess they could've made him a bad guy or something, but it would be weird to bring him in as a hero.

That is the plan, Gaiman and Buckingham are going to complete their run at some point in the near future. I don't remember how much Neil said he had planned but I think he said the original book would run to #36?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

That is the plan, Gaiman and Buckingham are going to complete their run at some point in the near future. I don't remember how much Neil said he had planned but I think he said the original book would run to #36?

This sounds good in theory but it's been long enough that I'll believe it when I see it :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The latest Howard is quite something. I kinda want to call it self felating meta nonsense, but that would imply that I didn't totally enjoy it. Chip Zdarsky is an interesting writer...

Chipp may have literally killed Howard off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

This sounds good in theory but it's been long enough that I'll believe it when I see it :(

Well the last issue of the reissue series reprinted the original #19 so there's 5 finished issues ready to go as well as #25 that was written, penciled and inked 20 years ago. Buckingham said he was ready to tear into the series when Fables ended and that was over a year ago. Something is clearly up since the reprints have gone on hiatus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Well the last issue of the reissue series reprinted the original #19 so there's 5 finished issues ready to go as well as #25 that was written, penciled and inked 20 years ago. Buckingham said he was ready to tear into the series when Fables ended and that was over a year ago. Something is clearly up since the reprints have gone on hiatus.

Hmmm my completely baseless guess would be that they're holding off on putting out the rest of what they got till Gaiman actually sits down to start writing the last issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Hmmm my completely baseless guess would be that they're holding off on putting out the rest of what they got till Gaiman actually sits down to start writing the last issues.

When this whole Marvel having Miracleman thing started he said he still had his scripts and notes from back in the day so it shouldn't take much. I'm thinking something else is going on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ms. Marvel #10 is completely amazing -- basically flawless -- when dealing with the non-CWII parts but just turns weird and hamfisted when dealing with the CWII plot. Two of the people in charge of Carol's little operation are literally punching each other out in the streets but then Carol's just like "Eh look guys, this just really needs to work okay. [shrugs, flies away]"

Is it just me or has there been literally no narrative, thematic support for Carol's side outside of her own book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Ms. Marvel #10 is completely amazing -- basically flawless -- when dealing with the non-CWII parts but just turns weird and hamfisted when dealing with the CWII plot. Two of the people in charge of Carol's little operation are literally punching each other out in the streets but then Carol's just like "Eh look guys, this just really needs to work okay. [shrugs, flies away]"

Is it just me or has there been literally no narrative, thematic support for Carol's side outside of her own book?

Those first few pages were so drat heartwarming. I adore Kamala's parents.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BrianWilly posted:

'Innocent Until Proven Guilty' is the legal tenet that people who know absolutely nothing else about law or justice can cite, and Carol's entire stance spits in the entire face of that. Especially with the reveal that Ulysses' prophecies are probability based and not actual future sight.

Not to mention that the response here is to immediately lock the 'future criminals' up before they do anything instead of, I dunno, talking to them and trying to convince them not to go through with whatever they want to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Even Captain Marvel isn't really supporting her so much as Gage is showing the character development that means she HAS to commit to this path. The person who came off best in the last issue was T'Challa.

Pureauthor posted:

'Innocent Until Proven Guilty' is the legal tenet that people who know absolutely nothing else about law or justice can cite, and Carol's entire stance spits in the entire face of that. Especially with the reveal that Ulysses' prophecies are probability based and not actual future sight.

Not to mention that the response here is to immediately lock the 'future criminals' up before they do anything instead of, I dunno, talking to them and trying to convince them not to go through with whatever they want to do.

Oh poo poo, is that the point of the briefcase thing? (Again, I'm skipping the main event book. Secret Wars was the last one I need to bother with for a lonnnng while) In which case Bendis just put out a big neon sign saying "IRON MAN IS RIGHT" because it's no more reliable than Reed Richards or Tony himself doing math.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's just strange 'cuz, during the last event, they at least had a couple books every month with the token pretense of depicting pro-registration in a better light through its pro-reg characters -- even if that better light was McCarthyism -- and everything I read here is just flat-out "Predictive justice might seem good...TO IDIOTS! Behold how creepy and problematic it actually is!"

Maybe I've just been reading books with better characters this time around. :smug:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Geez, the more I hear about this event the more glad I am I'm only reading the Spider Woman and Power Man/Iron Fist tie ins

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

It's just strange 'cuz, during the last event, they at least had a couple books every month with the token pretense of depicting pro-registration in a better light through its pro-reg characters -- even if that better light was McCarthyism -- and everything I read here is just flat-out "Predictive justice might seem good...TO IDIOTS! Behold how creepy and problematic it actually is!"

Maybe I've just been reading books with better characters this time around. :smug:

Panther looks best to me because he's going "I'll back this until/unless I can prove it won't work. Then I'll burn it to the loving ground"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For things I'm reading right now, Patsy's tie-in was about Jen's coma and was very sad, Squirrel Girl will never have a tie-in, and Gwenpool is totally not having a tie-in next month.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Double post for rumors!

Marvel is reportedly shopping around networks for a comedy series based on New Warriors, with Squirrel Girl headlining.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite Marvel ongoings right now are the ones that have nothing to do with Civil War 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Once issue 4 came out and Carol was well on her way to totalitarian shitbag I'm not really interested in the story itself so much as curious as to how bendis and/or the capt marvel creative team is gonna try and salvage her character.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, I've actually read quite a bit of the tie-ins and every one that isn't Captain Marvel makes me detest her as a character more and more. It's really a remarkable bit of character assassination, I can't fathom how anyone at Marvel thought she would come off well in this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

Ultimate Rebirth. : we promise Wanda and Pietro aren't going to gently caress this time.

The AN Wolverine Annual is pretty adorable Laura and Gwen switch bodies, and hilarity ensues with them trying to figure out how to operate each other bodies, with the healing and the claws and the super strength and webs

Okay, just now getting to this and Gwen accidentally killing herself with Laura's claws was pretty funny.

Tato posted:

Yeah, I've actually read quite a bit of the tie-ins and every one that isn't Captain Marvel makes me detest her as a character more and more. It's really a remarkable bit of character assassination, I can't fathom how anyone at Marvel thought she would come off well in this.

It is kinda weird that (it feels like) marvel has been building up Carol as like the superheroine of the mu and they decided to just throw all that away. I wonder what brought them to the decision to use her of all people.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They'll have planned to essentially reboot the character in time for the movie anyway, so I guess they don't care that much how she comes off right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Air is lava! posted:

The latest Howard is quite something. I kinda want to call it self felating meta nonsense, but that would imply that I didn't totally enjoy it. Chip Zdarsky is an interesting writer...

Chipp may have literally killed Howard off.

Just read it, I quite enjoyed the meta stuff

Zdarsky also wrote a story for this week's choosing sides that features a boxing match between iron man and Justin Trudeau

Pureauthor posted:

They'll have planned to essentially reboot the character in time for the movie anyway, so I guess they don't care that much how she comes off right now.

I hadn't thought about that, it's possible

site fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 1, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just like Tony last time! :)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I *heart* All-New Wolverine, Laura and Gabby are great and it has a adorable wolverine in a domino mask, what more could you want?

My thoughts on CWII continue to be this scene from It's Always Sunny...is there much more of it to go?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Civil War II like Civil War I in the sense that the tie-ins are going out of their way to make one side look worse, but the main title looks more neutral about it? (I've not been following CWII.)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Civil War II like Civil War I in the sense that the tie-ins are going out of their way to make one side look worse, but the main title looks more neutral about it? (I've not been following CWII.)

No, the only title that makes Carol look better is her own.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

is there much more of it to go?

We're more or less half way through depending on delays.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Viridiant posted:

No, the only title that makes Carol look better is her own.

Then it is indeed odd that they gave her this big push then made her the bad guy.

I think it would actually make a lot more sense if the positions were reversed, but I guess that wasn't on the cards since the last Civil War wrecked Tony for years afterward.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Civil war 2 will roll into the global initiative which will roll into secret invasion 2: We warned you about Badoons which will roll into dark rule

What in saying is everything after civil war 2 will show how bad carol and co hosed everything up and how stupid they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Hmm.

So back when there was a brouhaha over Steve Rogers being a HYDRA Nazi sleeper agent because of cosmic cube shenanigans, I made a comment about how the comic writers shouldn't have done such and such because of the outrage it engendered. A bunch of people, including X-O, told me how stupid that was, and I didn't agree at the time. But now I want to say I'm sorry because you were all right and I was very wrong.

Anyway this has nothing to do with anything but I'm a semi-regular poster in this thread now and it's important to own up to your mistakes. Everyone can go back to their regularly scheduled programming.

• Locked thread