Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Do not watch Weiner Dog unless you like hardcore nihilism. That's all I will say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm almost finished with the first season of The Wire and it's fantastic so far. Please tell me it stays this good for the whole series.

You will be disappointed by S2 on your first watch of the series. It's actually good, just a significant change up. S3 is amazing and S4 is the best TV ever made. And the show has perhaps the greatest ending of any show ever, the kind of ending that you don't see coming and then when it reveals itself you say, "Of course that's how it ends! It couldn't end any other way!" And as your awe at the genius of the show wears off, you make plans to immediately rewatch the entire series.

You think the above is hyperbole. It is not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

You will be disappointed by S2 on your first watch of the series. It's actually good, just a significant change up.

Yea nobody seems to fully appreciate Season 2 until they rewatch it, myself included. Its the first time that the show drops you into a completely new subject and expects you to just go along for the ride.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
S2 is pretty jarring since it gets away the game, but in its defense, it has the best pair of titties in the whole show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm almost finished with the first season of The Wire and it's fantastic so far. Please tell me it stays this good for the whole series.

Season 2 goes into a different direction, but I thought it was awesome. Also season 3 and 4 are by far 2 of my favorite seasons of television ever. My ranking on seasons is 4>3>2>1>5. So outside of 5 I thought every season got better, and 5 is not bad.

I am considering re-watching it since I haven't watched it since it originally aired.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I am considering re-watching it since I haven't watched it since it originally aired.

You need to do it. The best, most rewarding viewing of The Wire is without fail always the second one. One of the show's big mottos is "all the pieces matter", and when you re-watch it for the first time the way the pieces fit together is pretty mindblowing.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Basebf555 posted:

You need to do it. The best, most rewarding viewing of The Wire is without fail always the second one. One of the show's big mottos is "all the pieces matter", and when you re-watch it for the first time the way the pieces fit together is pretty mindblowing.

It's definitely a slow burn but man when you see everything come together it's great. I try to not miss any scene because every second seems to have important information. It feels like there is something bigger going on.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 2, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rad Valtar posted:

The Wire is very much like Homicide: Life on the Street in that while it does have some occasional dips in quality, the show was still better than just about everything else on television at the time in spite of those dips. Basically, its lows are "still really loving good television" instead of "really loving amazing television," and the quality is remarkably consistent throughout.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

S2 is pretty jarring since it gets away the game, but in its defense, it has the best pair of titties in the whole show.

episode and time of titties?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jaws is back on Netflix and it makes me want Spielberg to do one last creature horror.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
War of the Worlds is probably as good as we're going to get, unless you count The BFG

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rad Valtar posted:

Pretty much yeah - unless you're a serious #bluelivesmatter fan.

It's widely regarded as one of the best dramtic serial TV shows of all time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Marcella: So Marcella just does random poo poo for no reason when she blacks out?

I really liked seven episodes of that show.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 3, 2016

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Lycus posted:

Marcella: So Marcella just does random poo poo for no reason when she blacks out?

I enjoyed it but it was basically Contrived Coincidences: The TV Show. More than most detective dramas even.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Sopranos: mainly for culture references, also because it's a good mobster series.

I'm sitting down through the first season, and it's mind-boggling just how much of it is still relevant today, this was a TV series that started in 1999. A kid kills himself from using 'designer' drugs. A character talks about islamophobia. WTC getting blown up is referenced once, *two years before it happens*. Themes of old fashion people, no longer used to fitting in in today's world. I was in kindergarden when a lot of this show is supposed to take place, so I kind of missed the cultural transition between the late '90s and early '000s, but so much of what the characters talk about is stuff that I remember. It's weird and fascinating.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

A White Guy posted:

The Sopranos: mainly for culture references, also because it's a good mobster series.

I'm sitting down through the first season, and it's mind-boggling just how much of it is still relevant today, this was a TV series that started in 1999. A kid kills himself from using 'designer' drugs. A character talks about islamophobia. WTC getting blown up is referenced once, *two years before it happens*. Themes of old fashion people, no longer used to fitting in in today's world. I was in kindergarden when a lot of this show is supposed to take place, so I kind of missed the cultural transition between the late '90s and early '000s, but so much of what the characters talk about is stuff that I remember. It's weird and fascinating.

I was in high school and college during the show's run, but didn't watch it until a couple years after it had ended. I also thought it captured the "feel" of the 90's-2000's transition. Right down to Tony's kitchen and the "fancy" McMansion counter tops of the late 90's that look dated as poo poo now, and the son's lovely canary yellow X-Terra.

Also, you might already know this but the reason they mention the WTC getting blow up "two years before it happens" :tinfoil: is because...it had already been blown up (partially) in 1993. It's kind of forgotten in the shadow of 9/11 but the WTC was an obvious target for terrorists and hypothetical attacks were in popular culture well before the towers came down.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Do not watch Weiner Dog unless you like hardcore nihilism. That's all I will say.

Why else would you watch a Todd Solondz film?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Lycus posted:

It was picked up for a second season, so maybe they will go into detail what's wrong. Still enjoyed everything from this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Slandible posted:

It was picked up for a second season, so maybe they will go into detail what's wrong. Still enjoyed everything from this season.

Maybe. My issues with the finale were more about execution than not getting all the details. For example, I'm fine with the Jason stuff not being concluded, because that's obviously a hook.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Last Kingdom would have been better if Matthew Macfayden had been in it beyond the pilot. The lead is just okay.

The lead really wants to be Orlando Bloom.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Season 3 of Hannibal finally hit Prime this summer. I'm only just starting s3 but I can't recommend the series enough.

Also, on Hulu, The Story of Film is up. I was very upset when it left Netflix because I was right in the middle of it. No idea when it hit Hulu, maybe forever ago, but the series and the book it is based on are both fascinating. It examines the evolution of film period by period.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Accident Underwater posted:

Also, on Hulu, The Story of Film is up. I was very upset when it left Netflix because I was right in the middle of it. No idea when it hit Hulu, maybe forever ago, but the series and the book it is based on are both fascinating. It examines the evolution of film period by period.

If they ever remake this with a different narrator, please let me know. The content was great but the cadence of the narration was horrendous. Both my wife and I just couldn't stand it, dude sounded like he was asking a question after literally every line.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

LogisticEarth posted:

If they ever remake this with a different narrator, please let me know. The content was great but the cadence of the narration was horrendous. Both my wife and I just couldn't stand it, dude sounded like he was asking a question after literally every line.

I think it's the author of the book, not a professional, which is probably why it's strange. I don't mind him myself.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I loved Season 1 of The Wire but Season 2 is so much better. I did not see a lot of the connections coming. I just want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You are in for a treat. The show really never loses steam until season 5 which is still better than 90% of other television.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think it's the author of the book, not a professional, which is probably why it's strange. I don't mind him myself.

Mark Cousins is the director and narrator. he had a show called scene by scene with actors/directors where they go through a persons work and talk about it. it's worth checking out if you liked that probably

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Where does the Wire stream? HBO Go?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

comingafteryouall posted:

I imagine so but it is also all on Amazon Prime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's pretty rad Amazon has a bunch of HBO stuff. I'm honestly surprised considering they are trying to run their own streaming service right now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rad Valtar posted:

So I loved Season 1 of The Wire but Season 2 is so much better. I did not see a lot of the connections coming. I just want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.
It only builds upon itself and gets more engrossing. I can't believe how fast I binged through that series.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Season 3 of Hannibal finally hit Prime this summer. I'm only just starting s3 but I can't recommend the series enough.

I was about to call you a lying liar, it is NOT on Netflix, but drat you, you said Hulu. I loved that series. I got over the narrator's tone, it became entertaining after awhile.

drat it. Now I want to watch it again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rad Valtar posted:

I just want to point out that while The Wire is amazing, it does get unfairly interpreted as being a depiction of all of Baltimore. It's generally focused on the Downtown and West / Southwest areas of the city, which are the more ... troublesome areas (the Southwest in particular).

It frustrates me when people think that Baltimore is a hellhole because they watched The Wire.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
A more accurate depiction of Baltimore is Pink Flamingos

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you ever saw or heard of JCVD, you should check out this new pilot on Amazon Prime TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J78DF02/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_ovl_wn_wnzw It's kinda "The Naked Gun" with JCVD playing himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme, who's also a retired secret agent who gets back into the game.. The pilot begins with him loving up doing the splits and getting walloped in the face with a baton, and it gets more ridiculous as it goes deeper.

I loving lost it at the hipster ramen shop, and it wasn't even the funniest bit in the pilot which was probably the action-re-telling of Huck Finn, being capped off by JCVD's love interest sleeping with N-word Jim

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 6, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm five minutes into Nick Of Time, a 1995 thriller I've never heard of starring Johhny Depp vs Chris Walken. Depp just got off the train in L.A. and was immediately menaced by a black man on rollerblades. The plot seems to be Speed but with an assassination instead of a bus. It's on Netflix, I'm enjoying it so far

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

morestuff posted:

I'm five minutes into Nick Of Time, a 1995 thriller I've never heard of starring Johhny Depp vs Chris Walken. Depp just got off the train in L.A. and was immediately menaced by a black man on rollerblades. The plot seems is Speed but with an assassination instead of a bus. It's on Netflix, I'm enjoying it so far

Plus it takes place in REAL TIME like 24!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

comingafteryouall posted:

I watch it on HBOGO but the older stuff is also on Amazon.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

If you ever saw or heard of JCVD, you should check out this new pilot on Amazon Prime TV. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J78DF02/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_ovl_wn_wnzw It's kinda "The Naked Gun" with JCVD playing himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme, who's also a retired secret agent who gets back into the game.. The pilot begins with him loving up doing the splits and getting walloped in the face with a baton, and it gets more ridiculous as it goes deeper.

I loving lost it at the hipster ramen shop, and it wasn't even the funniest bit in the pilot which was probably the action-re-telling of Huck Finn, being capped off by JCVD's love interest sleeping with N-word Jim

Just watched this today and this opinion is totally correct. Watch it immediately. Also watch the new The Tick show on there if you haven't already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, the new Tick is so good so far.

e: Holy Hell is available to rent on Prime. It's a 22 year documentary about a cult that can best be summed up as:

:dogbutton:

precision fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

e: Holy Hell is available to rent on Prime. It's a 22 year documentary about a cult that can best be summed up as:

:dogbutton:

It's on Netflix too, I watched it last night