Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fishmech posted:

When do we get to be rid of her idiot son?

not soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

A car is dangerous. Autopilot has never meant full automation and using it to describe what Tesla has is not false advertising. I do not see the distinction between any misunderstandings from this feature vs someone thinking cruise control will steer for them.

It literally is Autopilot. That is what it is.

Autopilot stands for "Automatic Pilot", the principle word "automatic" standing for "something that happens by itself without someone fiddling with it."

Are you the same kind of mindless pedant who says signs should say "inflammable" even though changing the word with "flammable" has literally saved lives?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Good.

god what a garbage person she was

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ron Jeremy posted:

There will always be a labor market. We just pretend to ignore it because labor is segregated from the profit by separating them into business entities like Apple and Foxconn and by separating them by an ocean. Labor is still there and in huge numbers, capital has just skirted labor laws by going around to the third world.

https://twitter.com/kmoxnews/status/772931836024467456

In other news Phyllis Schlafly is dead

A quick Google refresher has me agree that this woman's death is probably a boon for humanity.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody who hasn't yet should watch this video if only for excited Tim Kaine in the background.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Praise Satan, the old oval office's finally been sent off.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i don't celebrate death but i'm not gonna pretend the world is worse now.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Finally we'll be able to pass the ERA!

It's good knowing the last 2 years of her life were spent watching everything she fought for dismantled entirely by the courts. Too bad she couldn't hold out another two months to watch Trump get crushed as well. A Hilary election night win being the final straw that caused her heart to give out would have been great.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's pretty likely unmanned cars are gonna become a thing for businesses/warehouses/private compounds in the next 5 years (and in some respect they already are, depending on your definitions) but who the gently caress knows if they'll ever be on public roads in a large capacity. In decades...maybe? Technology aside, the whole things a legal can of worms, liability and traffic law wise. You can skirt around some of that stuff by saying it's all on the driver who is theoretically in the drivers seat and still paying full attention to the road, but I highly doubt you can get to any point of widespread adoption without some new legislation and a bunch of rejiggering of the car insurance industry, and that poo poo will take a while.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
She was the one figurehead that killed the ERA that almost passed decades ago correct? Can't say she'll be missed

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

It's good knowing the last 2 years of her life were spent watching everything she fought for dismantled entirely by the courts. Too bad she couldn't hold out another two months to watch Trump get crushed as well. A Hilary election night win being the final straw that caused her heart to give out would have been great.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get

What I would have given for the post-election headlines claiming Hillary personally murdered her right before the victory speech. :sigh:

Oh, wait, I can claim that now regardless. :getin:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

fishmech posted:

Once again, most of that decline came from the viability of having a job that wasn't smallhold agriculture, as opposed to all that labor actually being needed on farms.

While we're agreed about the 19th century there, I'm not sure I'd extrapolate that into the 20th without further information. Which you may have, I have no idea past that point; but my vague understanding is that automation and consolidation of farm ownership has significantly decreased demand for agricultural labour in the 20th century.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

A quick Google refresher has me agree that this woman's death is probably a boon for humanity.

And with her gone now, Andrew will now go Norman Bates shortly.
They will find him in her clothing soon.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

Autopilot stands for "Automatic Pilot", the principle word "automatic" standing for "something that happens by itself without someone fiddling with it."

Are you the same kind of mindless pedant who says signs should say "inflammable" even though changing the word with "flammable" has literally saved lives?

He's exactly right with how autopilot is used in light aircraft though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ron Jeremy posted:

There will always be a labor market. We just pretend to ignore it because labor is segregated from the profit by separating them into business entities like Apple and Foxconn and by separating them by an ocean. Labor is still there and in huge numbers, capital has just skirted labor laws by going around to the third world.

https://twitter.com/kmoxnews/status/772931836024467456

Gonna drink a Schlafly beer in her memory. :c00l:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Automated cars are going to completely change the nature of commuting. Long commutes go from being infuriating to quality nap time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spiffster posted:

She was the one figurehead that killed the ERA that almost passed decades ago correct? Can't say she'll be missed

She has been quite busy ever since opposing basically anything and everything that involves women's rights and equality.

For fucks sake she even fought against fixing to laws to make raping your wife a crime arguing that it was just a plot by liberal feminists to encourage divorce.

I'll slot her passing right next to Scalia in the "I am glad they are no longer directly influencing policy, although I wish they had retired so they could see everything they fought against actually win" shelf.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Automated cars are going to completely change the nature of commuting. Long commutes go from being infuriating to quality nap time.

And exurbs will spring back to life.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Oddly fitting that someone who fought so hard against women's rights dies little more than two months before the first woman gets elected as POTUS.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

Yes, yes he is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hodgepodge posted:

While we're agreed about the 19th century there, I'm not sure I'd extrapolate that into the 20th without further information. Which you may have, I have no idea past that point; but my vague understanding is that automation and consolidation of farm ownership has significantly decreased demand for agricultural labour in the 20th century.

The really heavy-hitting labor saving and automation only comes in relatively recently - like since the 1930s or so. And as his chart shows, the agricultural employment had already dropped under 40% by 1900 and under 25% by 1925.

Plus it's really interesting how the rate of decline was very steady from 1800 to about 1965, and then suddenly slowed down hard, while improvements in agriculture weren't steady in the least during the same time period. If it tracked those we should see several parts where it suddenly drops a lot faster. What it really behaves like is something that declines from older farmers dying off without their kids bothering to continue the family business. Essentially, agricultural technology was already good enough to shed tons of workers compared to the amount that actually left, there was just no way to transition the economy away from agriculture.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ron Jeremy posted:

May Allah accept her to his welcoming bosom and allow her to have all the crazy, degenerate multi-gender sex she denied herself in life.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/772938973769523200

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

fishmech posted:

The really heavy-hitting labor saving and automation only comes in relatively recently - like since the 1930s or so. And as his chart shows, the agricultural employment had already dropped under 40% by 1900 and under 25% by 1925.

Plus it's really interesting how the rate of decline was very steady from 1800 to about 1965, and then suddenly slowed down hard, while improvements in agriculture weren't steady in the least during the same time period. If it tracked those we should see several parts where it suddenly drops a lot faster. What it really behaves like is something that declines from older farmers dying off without their kids bothering to continue the family business. Essentially, agricultural technology was already good enough to shed tons of workers compared to the amount that actually left, there was just no way to transition the economy away from agriculture.

Yeah, there was one last significant agricultural revolution in the postwar period (the Green Revolution? I only touched on it in a class on SE Asian politics once; I mostly remember it involving new fertilizers and such to increase production), so that was probably the last big development. Then just lots of family farms being bought up by big owners taking advantage of more-or-less existing technology to consolidate into megafarms as kids took the money and went into different sectors.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
Remember that one of the scare tactics Schlafly used against the Equal Rights Amendment was that it would allow men into women's bathrooms.

Nothing is new under the sun.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Nice. Rot in hell. This drink is in honor of you no longer existing.

Hell yeah.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well at least I caught the news about Phyllis Schafly.

I've been away for like, 5 days, last I checked Trump was just about to give his speech in Mexico, is there a good summary of what's happened since?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's something interesting, research has been done on the minimum wage increases in Massachusetts ( a law as passed in 2014 that raised the state minimum from $8 an hour in 2014 to $9 an hour in 2015, $10 an hour in 2016, and $11 an hour in 2017).
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/09/report_minimum_wage_hike_helped_states_lowest_paid_workers

"The average, inflation-adjusted hourly pay for the state's lowest-wage workers rose from $9.08 cents an hour to $9.74 cents an hour from 2014 to 2015, a 7.3 percent increase, according to the latest annual edition of "The State of Working Massachusetts." The report is compiled by the independent, liberal-leaning Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center.
Hourly wages earned by the average middle-class worker in Massachusetts also rose during that period, but by a smaller 2.9 percent rate, from $21.63 to $22.25."

Note that since this is done using inflation adjusted money, it means we're not just seeing the natural rise in pay from that, but actually seeing that middle class people are benefiting by a significant amount, even though they're earning a lot more than the minimum to begin with.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

catlord posted:

I've been away for like, 5 days, last I checked Trump was just about to give his speech in Mexico, is there a good summary of what's happened since?

Trump played super nice in Mexico.

Then went home and immediately gave a speech doubling down on all his immigration policies and getting into a Twitter slapfight with Peņa Nieto after pretending not to hear him say that Mexico wasn't about to pay for the wall.

And probably a bunch of other stupid stuff but that was the big one.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oddly fitting that someone who fought so hard against women's rights dies little more than two months before the first woman gets elected as POTUS.

her poor heart couldn't take it

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

catlord posted:

EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS IS CLINTON DYING???

and a bunch of arguments about self-driving cars that i scroll past

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

catlord posted:

The media is going all-in on the horse race narrative and trying to make Trump the underdog Man of The People, this was initiated like a day after he went to Mexico and was boring, then went to Arizona and held a pseudo hitler-rally.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Unlike when Scalia died, there is nothing to celebrate here. No change will come of this. Am I mistaken?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Phyllis Schlafly may have just died, but did she have a big coughing fit yesterday before she did? America deserves to know.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I've heard solid middle class people say they didn't want a wage increase because working in fast food shouldn't make $15/hr because that would be getting paid too much for the skills involved. These were people that make $30/hr plus benefits and are most likely in a union. They were also discussing how they wouldn't support it even if it meant they would get raises too.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Unlike when Scalia died, there is nothing to celebrate here. No change will come of this. Am I mistaken?

It's really more of a signpost: more and more people like her are dead, dying or just retired.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's nice to be reminded that evil can be slain

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

You're very, very mistaken. Honest question, have you ever seen how automation impacts a position first hand? Because those things you cited don't mean poo poo.

I literally work in a distribution center, so yes.

I'm well aware of when you can automate jobs and when you can't. Truck driving is not one you can. Even in the scenario of "moving trailers from a parking lot to a shipping door" requires steps that are not easily automated.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 6, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fishmech posted:

And the guy who got guillotined wasn't on a curve, he was on a straight length of road when the truck turned in front of him. Really you're just showing how stupid tesla was because if they thought for a moment they'd realize they should have the alarms all the time for hands off the wheel instead of just curves.

In what way would having a hand on the wheel have prevented him from running straight into an 18 wheeler that was in the middle of the straight road that he wasn't watching because he was watching Harry Potter instead?

This is ignoring that this wasn't an uninformed consumer, it was a guy who literally made YouTube videos testing and demonstrating autopilot and exploring situations where it did and didn't work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm eager to see Hilldawg make it to her 90s. Over half a century of being a conservative bugbear :allears:

• Locked thread