Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I think they'd probably do 10 groups of 4 with only the group winners guaranteed the knockout stage, which will be good for exciting football too maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah the group matches are so boring when 3 of the 4 advance to the second round anyway. I'd be down for a 64 team knockout world cup though

Would you seed it or just a free for all?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

jyrka posted:

I think they'd probably do 10 groups of 4 with only the group winners guaranteed the knockout stage, which will be good for exciting football too maybe?

Too big a chance the big names are irrelevant early. Everybody likes an upset, but too many and all of the sudden the suits get nervous that people won't tune in for VCU vs. Butler.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

African AIDS cum posted:

Would the USA have enough big stadiums to host such an event?

You piece of poo poo.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Bovril Delight posted:

Would you seed it or just a free for all?

if it's anything like your mam it will be both

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bea Nanner posted:

if it's anything like your mam it will be both

nice

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

jyrka posted:

Not enough games ($$$$).

8 groups of 5, top 3 go through. Second round is second and third place finishers, with the group winners playing the second round winners in the round of 16.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jyrka posted:

Oh man I'm all horned up for a million dog turd teams playing never-ending knockout matches that consist of everyone sitting deep and hoping to grab a goal or hold out for penalties.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

both teams are eliminated if they draw.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

African AIDS cum posted:

Would the USA have enough big stadiums to host such an event?

Not only does the USA have enough big stadiums to host five world cups simultaneously, Mexico has suitable infrastructure to host its own solo as well. Canada probably would too, but they'd have to use public funds to build a couple new ones and I don't think they like doing that. The only reason anyone would want the North American teams cohosting is because you want as few world cups as possible in that part of the world (or are from Canada and don't want to spend money building stadiums.)

As to the 40 teams thing, I think it would actually be a good thing for competivity, but only if they give most of the new slots to UEFA, who from a purely team quality stand point are very underrepresented, instead of dolling them out as pity slots to the other conferences. 8 groups of 5, top two from each team advance to round of 16.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Cliff Racer posted:

Not only does the USA have enough big stadiums to host five world cups simultaneously, Mexico has suitable infrastructure to host its own solo as well. Canada probably would too, but they'd have to use public funds to build a couple new ones and I don't think they like doing that. The only reason anyone would want the North American teams cohosting is because you want as few world cups as possible in that part of the world (or are from Canada and don't want to spend money building stadiums.)

As to the 40 teams thing, I think it would actually be a good thing for competivity, but only if they give most of the new slots to UEFA, who from a purely team quality stand point are very underrepresented, instead of dolling them out as pity slots to the other conferences. 8 groups of 5, top two from each team advance to round of 16.

That's a ban

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sure is, but don't forget to apply it equally to everyone.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Nostradingus posted:

both teams are eliminated if they draw.
Make this the rule then have every single country in the world play in the World Cup.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Invite enough countries so that there's 512 players in total. Divide into two teams. First match is 256-on-256, next is 128-on-128 and bifurcate down from there until the final 1-on-1 to determine the best football player.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHVc7E3qTU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, England shambles aside I enjoyed Euro 2016.

A team outside the usual suspects won it, France were entertaining to watch, it was fun to see Wales get to the semis first time of asking and there were enough decent group games and some good goals. There have been worse Champions League runs.

It's not like Spain one nilling their way to back to back trophies was particularly loving gripping and it's always fun to see an unfancied team take a poo poo on a bigger country.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 7, 2016

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Adding more teams make qualifiers more interesting at least. I think a lot of the time the lower pot teams just give up a bit once it becomes clear early doors that they have gently caress all chance whereas qualifiers for the Euros just gone threw up all sorts of surprises like Northern Ireland, Iceland and lol Netherlands.

The actual tournament format would need some work to have 40 teams and not be a fun crushing grind in the early stages though itpo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

eliminate groups and do it entirely knockout style. nothing ups the ante like real stakes.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I want to see a World Cup held entirely in Texas High School Football Stadiums. Who do I have to bribe to make this happen?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HMS Beagle posted:

I want to see a World Cup held entirely in Texas High School Football Stadiums. Who do I have to bribe to make this happen?

nobody wants another winter world cup

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I want qualification and tournament groups without any seeding or anything. Just put France, Germany and Italy in a single qualification group if thats how the draw goes. Same with Champions league groups. Its no fun that the higher ranked teams get all kinds of protection.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Charlie Mopps posted:

I want qualification and tournament groups without any seeding or anything. Just put France, Germany and Italy in a single qualification group if thats how the draw goes. Same with Champions league groups. Its no fun that the higher ranked teams get all kinds of protection.

Looking forward to the Hungary vs Jamaica semi-finals

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Dunban posted:

Looking forward to the Hungary vs Jamaica semi-finals

We already had an Iceland vs England round of 16 game in the Euros and that turned out unironically well

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Of course there are always gonna be a few surprises, but generally all the big teams will inevitably end up playing each other. It's just a matter how early or late in a tournament it happens - and Germany vs France in the semi-finals is a lot more exciting than Germany vs France in the group stages or qualifiers.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
we should have a real world league, where every country plays against every other country and then after 4 years the team with the most points win. just imagine the possibilities, north korea vs lesotho, new caledonia vs kosovo, phwoarrrr

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

advanced statsman posted:

we should have a real world league, where every country plays against every other country and then after 4 years the team with the most points win. just imagine the possibilities, north korea vs lesotho, new caledonia vs kosovo, phwoarrrr

Something similar is done in Estonia that is quite interesting. We have a counties tournament with 16 teams where one round played each year. Players can play for where ever they're from regardless of what club they play for. The tournament will end in 2041.

I guess that isn't similar at all but it is a cool little tournament.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Unironically this as long as you separate them into leagues with promotion and relegation.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Unironically this as long as you separate them into leagues with promotion and relegation.

The problem is national teams can improve rapidly because you don't need to buy your star players. Would take years for a golden generation team to actually win

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

isn't UEFA thinking of doing something like this instead of friendlies? or do i remember wrong?

in any case, the world cup should be done FA Cup style except without seeding or getting a bye poo poo. all countries in, straight knock out, keep fifa's hands off the draw

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jose posted:

nobody wants another winter world cup

That's football season, bruh. We would make Syria look like Disneyland if you had to reschedule Texas High School Football.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

belgend posted:

isn't UEFA thinking of doing something like this instead of friendlies? or do i remember wrong?

Yeah starting September 2018. The point is to have more games between the top teams.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

belgend posted:

in any case, the world cup should be done FA Cup style except without seeding or getting a bye poo poo. all countries in, straight knock out, keep fifa's hands off the draw

They are doing it but with 4 leagues of 4 per "division" and 4 divisions I believe. It allows a winners playoff in the top rank and promotion and relegation. Each league runs for 2 years so a golden generation could go from bottom tier to winners in 8.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, but then you get the international cricket structure, which is weird and British as gently caress.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

foobardog posted:

Yeah, but then you get the international cricket structure, which is weird and British as gently caress.

That's not the international cricket structure (partially because test cricket has no structure to speak of)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not the international cricket structure (partially because test cricket has no structure to speak of)

Right, I was referring to non-test cricket, and the World Cricket League. The idea that there are even levels of countries that are allowed to play "the real game" and ones who are not is just funny to me. I mean I get it, no one cares about shitclogging teams that don't know the sport, but still.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Dunban posted:

Of course there are always gonna be a few surprises, but generally all the big teams will inevitably end up playing each other. It's just a matter how early or late in a tournament it happens - and Germany vs France in the semi-finals is a lot more exciting than Germany vs France in the group stages or qualifiers.

This is the same kind of thinking that leads to giving the four biggest countries 4 guaranteed places for the CL. Gotta get that Barcelona - Man City semi-final!! In the end it just leads to boring rear end tournaments.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

If they make it a 40-team World Cup they'll make it so 32 teams qualify for the knockout stage and it will be the worst World Cup ever.

I don't see how that is possible since Ireland vs Egypt 1992 won't happen there

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Byolante posted:

I don't see how that is possible since Ireland vs Egypt 1992 won't happen there

Ah yes, the glorious 1992 World Cup.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

jyrka posted:

Something similar is done in Estonia that is quite interesting. We have a counties tournament with 16 teams where one round played each year. Players can play for where ever they're from regardless of what club they play for. The tournament will end in 2041.

I guess that isn't similar at all but it is a cool little tournament.

That's really unusual, I'm interested in knowing more if it's not straying away from topic too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Insanely Sikh posted:

That's really unusual, I'm interested in knowing more if it's not straying away from topic too much.

Not much else to it. Every summer when there's a small break in the league calendar the 8 matches take place. An overwhelming number of the players are amateurs and the squads mostly consist of whatever the local big team is. But not completely, the professional players in Estonia and people who live away from their home county for other reasons join them. Not all professional players want to have a kick about with a bunch of amateurs though so it's completely voluntary.