Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You don't need Shav's for CI since it makes you immune to all chaos damage, as in you can no longer take damage from chaos, so "chaos damage does not bypass energy shield" on the shav's does nothing for you. So get yourself a lovely high ES chest piece when you go CI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Shinino Kage posted:

So I'm starting to prepare for the move to CI/ES in about 10 levels or so, but I've never played CI before.

Other than ES/Resist gear, what am I really gonna need? Shavs, I take it?
As much ES as you can get and then some. As above, you don't need Shav's, that's specifically for lowlife to avoid getting murdered by chaos damage.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

climboutonalimb posted:

I've been chugging along fine with this on HC. What is your ES at now? Profile link?
Mine is RooNoPants at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/roo

I switched once I could wear Prism Guardian and Steppan Erd boots - 68? I had ~220 ES helm and 170 ES gloves and ended up around 5k ES and farmed Dried lake almost exclusively.

After crafting my helm with a T5 Essence of Woe and getting a few more ES nodes, I hit 6.3k ES which made me feel comfortable in low tier maps; I've tried up to T5 maps at this point. I'm back down to almost exactly 6k ES as I took a bit of a hit with my newly crafted gloves (I'm using Essence of Horror to effectively replace increased critical strikes gem)

E: 6k ES is absolutely not enough for serious mapping and I'm actively planning my next build for when I inevitably die. :)

heh heh heh. My character is Skalthjor at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters. I have an effective hp pool of, uhhh, about 3.5k, between life and ES. So I'm looking forward to getting extremely dunked.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Shinino Kage posted:

So I'm starting to prepare for the move to CI/ES in about 10 levels or so, but I've never played CI before.

Other than ES/Resist gear, what am I really gonna need? Shavs, I take it?

Like the others have said, as much es as possible while keeping resists capped.

Also make sure to update your flasks as life flasks do nothing for you. If you are using a mana flask DO NOT USE ONE WITH THE CAUSTIC PREFIX, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Bugsy posted:

If you are using a mana flask DO NOT USE ONE WITH THE CAUSTIC PREFIX, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF.

BRB, making a Cast on Death character :v:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

dang that BV build looks fun. Any idea on how well it'd do with little/no currency?

Just kidding I don't see the BV build on there at all after clickthrough?? Am I missing something?

J
Jun 10, 2001

whypick1 posted:

BRB, making a Cast on Death character :v:

Old, outdated thread, but thisCast on death dominus MF build always made me laugh. Cast on death + discharge + doedre's elixirs to generate charges to blow up dominus or daresso while wearing tons of rarity/quantity gear.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yep, I remember that one. ALL THE DPS!!!!1111

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How do people feel about Pathfinder vs Occultist BV? I'm leaning pathfinder because: if i'm gonna do flavor of the league might as well go full broken, and also, I've never leveled a ranger to max

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Like the others have said, as much es as possible while keeping resists capped.

Also make sure to update your flasks as life flasks do nothing for you. If you are using a mana flask DO NOT USE ONE WITH THE CAUSTIC PREFIX, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF.

So I've heard 500 ES for the chest -- are there any hard and fast numbers for the other slots other than 'as much as you can afford'?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Shinino Kage posted:

So I've heard 500 ES for the chest -- are there any hard and fast numbers for the other slots other than 'as much as you can afford'?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/bartram/characters

swoup is my CI char and with that gear i only have 4.1k so bigger numbers than mine. i haven't updated my belt/gloves yet tho. i'm also kinda fragile at 4.1k even in lower maps.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

baram. posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/bartram/characters

swoup is my CI char and with that gear i only have 4.1k so bigger numbers than mine. i haven't updated my belt/gloves yet tho. i'm also kinda fragile at 4.1k even in lower maps.

Your profile is private :D

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

fixed sorry

e: i dont get much tree es tho, mostly stack int.

ee: that 4.1k is with discipline. i have 3.4k w/o i think.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Jinnigan posted:

heh heh heh. My character is Skalthjor at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jinnigan/characters. I have an effective hp pool of, uhhh, about 3.5k, between life and ES. So I'm looking forward to getting extremely dunked.

Yikes. At least your in Essence SC league so death isn't too problematic. :)

So, one of the great things about going low life is you can run all 3 purities and get +1 max res as well as easy resistance fixing. I only see PoL on your character. You should be leveling PoF and PoI in your offhand (btw wtf is going on there? whatever). But by running all 3 purities (2 on life and one on mana) you can actually get slightly cheaper ES gear because you won't care as much about resistences so you can just focus on 200+es items. That said, taking this into two parts let's start with defensive issues then offensive issues.

1) Sanctuary of Thought would be a huge boost to your ES... +400-1000 based on your mana and %es count. It also immediately fixes your mana problems and will let you run another defensive potion instead of mana pot. I would either try to get carried through merc lab or respec your conviction of power points.
2) A shield would drastically increase your hybrid survivability -- eventually switched to prism guardian for low life. This can also be an easy item to get resistance fixing for making better gear choices elsewhere.
3) Try to find a neck w/ spell damage and %es. These are craftable with essence of woes
4) Some of your ES gear isn't 20% quality, These are pretty bad base items so I can imagine it's not totally worth it.

That'd be a start. But I think you want to get some better ES bases before you look to switching to low life. You will also want a Energy from Within jewel for the melding cluster.

Here's a build I would try to switch two when going LL -- this costs 14 respec points for the tree and 10 for the ascendacy points unless you get carried through Merc Lab.
https://www.poeurl.com/LtU

Offensively:
1) swap inc crit strikes in your helm for curse on hit - this will be a QoL boost to cursing vulnerability via orb of storms
2) get rid of the oblitrations and put on higher spell damage + crit chance for spells wands -- even low budget ones should be very available
3) swap your coral ring for a diamond ring w/ ES and resists.

The fundamental reasons LL Heirophant SWT works is because even though you are losing out on boosted crit damage from inquisitor or assassin, you make up for it via pain attunement and going ll; being lowlife requires less resistance gear necessary and the ES and mana cost boosts from Sanctuary of Thought.

e: I should also say that your chest and shield (which are usually huge ES boosts in CI builds) are spoken for: prism guardian for shield and either Shavs or Solaris Lorica for chest. So you really need to get 200+ ES on your helm and boots and 150+ ES on your gloves. As well as looking for %es on amulet and any flat ES on other jewelery.
Other good mods: Intellect and Mana both boost your ES indirectly via Sanctuary of Thought

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 7, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the guide I'm following is telling me to go CI in my mid 30s

he hasn't led me astray so far, but I feel like he's just loving with me here

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the WI guide i used did that. i waited til 70ish anyway

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

baram. posted:

the WI guide i used did that. i waited til 70ish anyway

haha yup that's the one

I think I will too, I'm already extremely squishy and I can't see CI and the 3 nodes past it making that any better

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

This looks pretty good!

e: do I bother adding weapon ele damage if I'm gonna sell it?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yep i basically waited until the 30% or whatever from those 3 nodes would be comparable to the hp i'm losing. which didn't happen til i actually bothered to get level specific gear.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dyzzy posted:

This looks pretty good!

e: do I bother adding weapon ele damage if I'm gonna sell it?

How much do you want for it?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I did a quick poe.trade search and I think I can get an exalt for it? Heretic's Veil is my next mark and it's drat pricey.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've got a bladefall trapper at 60, pretty sure I'm going evasion/life. My tree (link) is right between the guide I'm following and the CI guide I gather is the one most folks follow, but the next ~10 points are committing to EV/life hard ground under scion to hit the life cluster.

I've never been able to afford CI the few times I've had an appropriate build, when can I expect EV/life to crap out? Mid-maps?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm going trapper as well, gonna go EV/Life with a Lightning Coil. Prob dual wands or dagger + sceptre (which would let me whirl). I'm layering LC with EV, dodge, and enfeeble, which should consist of my defences.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I'm playing again after a long while. Am I misremembering, or did labyrinth used to keep all your areas until you left the whole thing? Yesterday I backtracked via secret passage to something I had previously fully explored and the whole map was unexplored + respawned and it sucked

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ice trap tree question. the build calls for going past the master sapper cluster and up into heart of oak and those evasion/life nodes for 9 points. what about instead grabbing the revenge of the hunted cluster for 7 points?

heart of oak pathing gives 44% evasion, 25% hp, 28% chance to avoid stun, 20% stun recovery, 1% hp regen and 2% move speed plus a couple other useless things for me
revenge of the hunted is just 50% evasion and 20% hp but the 2 extra points would let me get another jewel or something

also it takes the extra frenzy charge from merc bandits but our only charge generation is master sapper with no duration nodes. i feel like one or two duration nodes would make a big difference for uptime there. maybe a candidate for those 2 points.

J
Jun 10, 2001

dyzzy posted:

I did a quick poe.trade search and I think I can get an exalt for it? Heretic's Veil is my next mark and it's drat pricey.

I'm no quiver expert but if someone actually pays an exalt for that I'd be really surprised. But then again maybe I've just had poo poo luck selling quivers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah it looks like a mixed bag, a low crit chance roll makes them like a few chaos each but there's nothing in between. I'll hope to get lucky or maybe come back much later with a bow build and just use it

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

If anyone has or finds a reasonable tree for CI Flameblast (probably Elementalist), please let me know. I'm doing fine so far with Life/ES but I'm thinking it could be fun to spec into at some point in the very late game.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Can't decide what to do for my second character, my firestorm elementalist is feeling a bit squishy around T10 maps. Looking at maybe going ED Trickster with CI, looks expensive but I might be able to scrounge together around 3 ex. Looking for something pretty tanky, able to do uber lab for sure. Anyone got any reccomdations? How happy are y'all with your build?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ok [another] stupid question: What's the deal with Fire Trap's tool tip? it says it does like, jackshit Average Damage but it seems like it cooks dudes. This character's still pretty low level, but I'm really enjoying how strong it is + the Trap support gems.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think that average damage accounts for the ground burn which does most of the damage

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dis astranagant posted:

Because it has to open up the ~6 GB GGPK archive, apply the patch and then repack the archive. Run the game from an SSD if at all possible.

Okay that makes sense. Unfortunately it's not at all possible. Next question: why does the game patch every single time I try to play it? Are they really releasing 1-2 patches a day or is something up?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The release of a major patch always comes with a series of frequent smaller patches. Give it a week or so and it won't seem like you have to update the game every drat time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
help I am an idiot and respecced to flameblast totems

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Could I get an invite to the guild, please? I have a character on Essence named Cuddlington, and my account name is CuddlyZombie. I don't recall which is needed.

Edit: Thanks!

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 8, 2016

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a kongors worth 5l'ing? Ive got the proph and nothing really to use it on.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Ritual of Awakening seems pretty bad. I would be spending twice the resources and time taken to place totems for 36% increased damage if I used it with Ancestral Bond.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Wafflecopper posted:

Okay that makes sense. Unfortunately it's not at all possible. Next question: why does the game patch every single time I try to play it? Are they really releasing 1-2 patches a day or is something up?

If you use the standalone client instead of Steam, that problem is significantly alleviated.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

what the gently caress is going on, before this patch I have virtually never had a ctd, in the last hour I've had like fifteen ctds. Lost my zana, lost a map, etc. etc.
I've turned off like every loving possible setting, tried a bunch of poo poo, and nothing seems to work. I'll just be trucking along doing normal poo poo and bam, I'm staring at my desktop. Over and loving over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

theshim posted:

help I am an idiot and respecced to flameblast totems

how is it? crit or noncrit? any temp chains blasphemy aura?

• Locked thread