Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Mange Mite posted:

Actually the new iPhone isn't any thinner thsn before

Well that's weird. Seems like a pointless change then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wonder if you could put tiny reaction wheels in a phone that would make it always fall on its back (like a cat, but backwards).

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Berious posted:

Good phones with good features like removable batteries are getting increasingly difficult to find.

Features that increase the overall usable lifespan of your phone are bad for business.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Wasn't the lack of a head phone jack kinda known/rumored months ago? I'm sure I read about it, might have even been on gbs.

As a person who occasionally leaves my parents' basement, I use headphones when I run or ride one of my bikes but I'm sure that's not a problem for most goons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

two forty posted:

Wasn't the lack of a head phone jack kinda known/rumored months ago? I'm sure I read about it, might have even been on gbs.

As a person who occasionally leaves my parents' basement, I use headphones when I run or ride one of my bikes but I'm sure that's not a problem for most goons.

It was rumored but nobody wanted to believe it because it sounded too stupid to be true. The same thing that happened with the apple watch

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Remember when Apple ran a commercial that compared itself to people fighting big brother and his horde of hypnotized drones?

You could air that, splice in Apple press releases over Big Brother, and the you could add much irony.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

It was rumored but nobody wanted to believe it because it sounded too stupid to be true. The same thing that happened with the apple watch
I can see the headlines now.

Company built on cult of personality fails when founder dies: World stunned.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

I still have never seen a smartwatch on the wrist of anyone who is not a software engineer

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mange Mite posted:

Hey now there's nothing stupid about a watch that gets an entire day of battery life and has poor input capabilities.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Android Wear 2.0 is going to have SIM card support so the watches won't necessarily need to be tethered to a phone. Finally real life will catch up to Dick Tracy.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Is everybody supposed to get Bluetooth car stereos now or is it just implied you already have one? I had one that broke and admittedly it was nice but I just threw in a $30 Sony with aux in from the junkyard to replace it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

Android Wear 2.0 is going to have SIM card support so the watches won't necessarily need to be tethered to a phone. Finally real life will catch up to Dick Tracy.

The entire concept of a smartwatch is dated, you can just tell that everybody who greenlit the idea watched a ton of sci-fi shows in the 70s

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

two forty posted:

Is everybody supposed to get Bluetooth car stereos now or is it just implied you already have one? I had one that broke and admittedly it was nice but I just threw in a $30 Sony with aux in from the junkyard to replace it.

I have an innate bluetooth connection in my car but also have a fancy touchscreen thingy in my car and I hate it

MyFordTouch is glitchy as gently caress and I would have preferred a regular radio with a jury-rigged AUX-to-bluetooth adapter like I had in my last car

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

loquacius posted:

The entire concept of a smartwatch is dated, you can just tell that everybody who greenlit the idea watched a ton of sci-fi shows in the 70s

No you see, look at this list of valid smartwatch use cases:

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goons are stupid as hell.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RedMage129 posted:

Features that increase the overall usable lifespan of your phone are bad for business.

Unless an increase in usable lifespan is a desirable and competitive enough feature that it increases your sales enough to counterbalance the lost future sales.

In other words, sometimes making an actual quality product is a good and profitable thing.

Then again Apple already has enough market share and cultural influence aka guaranteed loyal customers aka suckers that it doesn't have to worry so much about stuff like that.

It's weird how to break into a market and gain market share you have to build an excellent product all around for competition's sale but for retaining established market dominance it seems like you have to do the opposite: make whizbang gadgety toys with as short of a lifespan as possible to keep your loyal sucker customers buying as often as possible while the gettin's good.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The best thing to buy is phones aimed at emerging markets since those people don't have $160 to blow on headphones with a non replaceable battery that *will* wear out in 2 years since you are draining the battery every day.
My phone in 2016 still has a user replaceable battery, 2 sims and a SD card. God bless your poverty stricken hearts third worlders, you make sure technology remains somewhat useable.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have an innate bluetooth connection in my car but also have a fancy touchscreen thingy in my car and I hate it

MyFordTouch is glitchy as gently caress and I would have preferred a regular radio with a jury-rigged AUX-to-bluetooth adapter like I had in my last car

I have a 2009 ford sedan and its bluetooth connection is pretty seamless and works really well in my experience. It doesn't have a touchscreen though which actually makes it easier to use and more reliable

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GreatGreen posted:

Unless an increase in usable lifespan is a desirable and competitive enough feature that it increases your sales enough to counterbalance the lost future sales.

In other words, sometimes making an actual quality product is a good and profitable thing.

Then again Apple already has enough market share and cultural influence aka guaranteed loyal customers aka suckers that it doesn't have to worry so much about stuff like that.

It's weird how to break into a market and gain market share you have to build an excellent product all around for competition's sale but for retaining established market dominance it seems like you have to do the opposite: make whizbang gadgety toys with as short of a lifespan as possible to keep your loyal sucker customers buying as often as possible while the gettin's good.

If the American car industry is any example, you can keep riding the leftover reputation for about 10-20 years before people figure it out.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

canpakes posted:

Goons are stupid as hell.

True in the general case but I'm not seeing it here *clicks ur question mark* oh there it is yeah

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Hell yeah can't wait to add another line to my wireless plan!! This is a great idea.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

Hell yeah can't wait to add another line to my wireless plan!! This is a great idea.

If Verizon wasn't behind this feature idea I'll eat my hat

They're already trying to get people to pay for data plans for their tablets, this is the next logical progression

Ideally you pay for three data plans per person in your household for a total of $400 a month on data alone

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sometimes i feel as if i, the customer, is being taken advantage of by these large corporations

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

Google Fi offers a data only sim for devices that doesn't cost extra beyond the actual data the extra device uses.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Golden Goose posted:

I have a 2009 ford sedan and its bluetooth connection is pretty seamless and works really well in my experience. It doesn't have a touchscreen though which actually makes it easier to use and more reliable

yeah exactly the bluetooth phone/audio coming from the phone stuff is fine

everything else is... yeesh

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

If the American car industry is any example, you can keep riding the leftover reputation for about 10-20 years before people figure it out.

The cars the us auto industry is producing now are so much better than what they made 20 years ago. I don't think their reputation has caught up with their actual product.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

tenspott posted:

The cars the us auto industry is producing now are so much better than what they made 20 years ago. I don't think their reputation has caught up with their actual product.

I think the increase in quality is because in return for the bailout Obama can personally gut any auto executive that displeases him in any way.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

Google Fi offers a data only sim for devices that doesn't cost extra beyond the actual data the extra device uses.

I want to try out gf, just waiting for a nexus/pixel phone that isn't trash.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

sometimes i feel as if i, the customer, is being taken advantage of by these large corporations

you're just paranoid

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tenspott posted:

Correct, it will take another 10-20 years for people to figure this out

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

I think the increase in quality is because in return for the bailout Obama can personally gut any auto executive that displeases him in any way.

No sll the better stuff was already in development whrn the bailout hit. If anything political meddling has hurt the i dustry by bringing in hugely incompetent executives like dan akerson and the fiat guy

Also the Chrysler deal was just insanely bad and pretty much the fauly of the obams administration

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
currently listening to music with my phone that uses a universally accepted jack and sounds pretty nice already. if only i had to give samsung more money in order to use inferior quality headphones

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

That Fi thing looks cool and I'll keep it in mind but I'm currently in a situation where I'm using an old Verizon unlimited contract to wirelessly tether as my only internet and using like 100GB a month on streaming and online gaming and other things

Watch out though. Starting last month, Verizon started literally closing the accounts of people with unlimited plans as soon as they hit 100gb. Keep it at 99gb a month and you're fine.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Apple: this is penis

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DDtUeVx6ixJxy6w

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

uh all the fuckin time actually

esp if I'm watching videos or something

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Watch out though. Starting last month, Verizon started literally closing the accounts of people with unlimited plans as soon as they hit 100gb. Keep it at 99gb a month and you're fine.

oh Verizon you assholes

they have the best 4G network and they know it the fuckers

think I used like 60 last month so I'm probably good though

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait a minute...
Apple... Jack
Applejack :aaaaa:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
t-mobile is cool

i'm on a $30/month plan with 5 gigs of data, unlimited text and 100 minutes (which is fine because i'm retarded and have no life and when i do go over google hangouts/skype handles the rest)

it also supports unlimited streaming of video (netflix/youtube/hulu) and audio (pandora/spotify) plus i can tether

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
did u guys see these pics they were in the yospos thread hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

notZaar posted:

I want to try out gf, just waiting for a nexus/pixel phone that isn't trash.

the nexus 6p is the best phone you can buy rn. hth OP

• Locked thread