Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Batman wearing a Friday the 13th "NO Lives Matter" shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Notice how all this handwringing ultimately boils down to is that the reason that Notorious Batshit Insane Guy is bad is because now other characters will have to interact with and be effected by this moral universe. Barry Allen actually has to interact with this guy who represents The Boondock Saints, and Barry might like that movie! Ah!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Barry Allen actually has to interact with this guy who represents The Boondock Saints, and Barry might like that movie! Ah!

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Avengers got a reaction out of a lot of people. "This is pretty kick rear end!"

Also nearly everybody likes the Hulk thrashing Loki.

That's true. I just don't remember anything specifically related to the destruction of buildings. Even the tragic death of cars meme didn't happen until after MoS came out and we got the movie fights.

I wish we could get a general movie fight thread.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

But why did you respond to a post about Justice League by talking about the Avengers?

I believe Captain America: Civil War was about how superheros need government oversight. These DC movies aren't that. Superman and co. answer to no one because why would they? They have all the power and humanity is weak. Our best weapons can't stop them. They're untouchable.

Ugly power fantasy.

I suppose if you want a sneering disdain for the superheo genre as a whole Snyders output so far is right up your alley.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

A tournament of directors would be dope.

Yaws posted:

I believe Captain America: Civil War was about how superheros need government oversight.

No.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Yaws posted:

I believe Captain America: Civil War was about how superheros need government oversight. These DC movies aren't that. Superman and co. answer to no one because why would they? They have all the power and humanity is weak. Our best weapons can't stop them. They're untouchable.

Ugly power fantasy.

I suppose if you want a sneering disdain for the superheo genre as a whole Snyders output so far is right up your alley.

Superman literally showed up to traffic court when summoned.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's time, I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Captain America was above all a love story about having faith in and making sacrifices for your partner, and it worked pretty well on that level.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

A tournament of directors would be dope.

Zack Snyder would easily defeat all other directors in hand-to-hand combat.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

CW said it was about that, what it was about instead was cross marketing and vertical integration for Marvel's shared brand.

And we got this incredible frame out of it:

Just look at it, it's a :masterstroke:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

I believe Captain America: Civil War was about how superheros need government oversight.

:lol:

the hero of that movie rejects government oversight and sets out on his own you dense fool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

CW said it was about that, what it was about instead was cross marketing and vertical integration for Marvel's shared brand.

And we got this incredible frame out of it:

Just look at it, it's a :masterstroke:

I love your photoshops CP

Guy A. Person posted:

:lol:

the hero of that movie rejects government oversight and sets out on his own you dense fool

And the semi-antagonist brags about being able to flout the rules thanks to money and power, and is the person supporting said "oversight"

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's true. I just don't remember anything specifically related to the destruction of buildings. Even the tragic death of cars meme didn't happen until after MoS came out and we got the movie fights.

It's hard to separate all that, I think. When Avengers 1 came out it was tonally similar to the X/Spidey movies that people were used to, and no one was comparing to transformers or those weather disaster movies that were doing the urban destruction thing. When MoS included that stuff alongside this new guy that people assumed would be a rebirth of the Reeve Superman, it prompted more venom than if it had been a Shazam movie or a Godzilla movie. Then around here the cars memes and screenshots emerge as a response to THAT response, and nowadays it's like DBZ where a single shitposter will emerge to battle the thread for 5 or so pages with bad faith arguments until the next one comes along.

I do wonder if this thread's consistently bicker-y tone would chill a little bit if it wasn't so hard to tell who is being sarcastic vs. serious. I keep chuckling at posts before it subsequently becomes evident the person wasn't joking. Most posters are just having fun but there are brief flashes of acidity where I just wanna say they're all just movies bud.

A general movie fight thread that features more than 2 directors and doesn't feature franchises that people are so sensitive about so it can be more relaxed would be cool though. Otherwise there's plenty of fighting here to go around already...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

He's just taking a nap. He'll be fine.

This is my favorite thing in the new cut.

on Shops, at least that one was fairly dece right? Not a big ol contrasted mess I hope.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MacheteZombie posted:

All those electrical sparks coming off Doomsday was actually The Flash, he was there, he knows what kind of monster Batman is, he doesn't care though because he voted for Ron Paul.

Wouldn't he have voted for Nader in that case?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

nowadays it's like DBZ where a single shitposter will emerge to battle the thread for 5 or so pages with bad faith arguments until the next one comes along.

i'm Krillin

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

on Shops, at least that one was fairly dece right? Not a big ol contrasted mess I hope.

You can tell it's a shop thanks to the edges around stuff, but I like the use of the colors far more than the theatrical version (which was your point when you made it).

A dusk/dawn setting for that airport fight would have made that scene stand out more and be visually interesting. As is that scene basically only has Antman's big moment going for it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Big Jimmy Barnes is the one that's been most obviously shopped in, but overall it's a solid image

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RIP

HIJK posted:

Wouldn't he have voted for Nader in that case?

Eh, had to pick a name on the far right. Nader would probably be afraid of Flash's electrical power output though. Deemed as too scary for the public good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm a random member of the Ginyu Force.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I enjoy the implication that superheroes can only avoid the label of right-wing power fantasy by becoming a literal extension of the U.S. military.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Equilibrium posted:

I enjoy the implication that superheroes can only avoid the label of right-wing power fantasy by becoming a literal extension of the U.S. military.

lol this is a really, really good point holy poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

You can tell it's a shop thanks to the edges around stuff, but I like the use of the colors far more than the theatrical version (which was your point when you made it).

A dusk/dawn setting for that airport fight would have made that scene stand out more and be visually interesting. As is that scene basically only has Antman's big moment going for it.

Jenny Angel posted:

Big Jimmy Barnes is the one that's been most obviously shopped in, but overall it's a solid image

word. I did it quick. Not my best, but I guess it is my best considering it isn't the other ones haha.

Edit: Actually, Barnes isn't shopped in, but the sky above him isn't that well done. Quick 'n dirty.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Yaws posted:

Ugly power fantasy.

It isn't a power fantasy; the audience reaction to it is fear. We're afraid of even a Batman who kills, and rightly so. After all, Bruce Wayne became Batman in order to scare us straight through violence, that is who Batman is. It would be a power fantasy if it were made comfortable so that we didn't have to be afraid. Batman actually kills in other Batman movies, but this is the movie in which there are complaints. It can't be because he kills; he does that in other Batman movies. What BvS does is show us Batman killing without making it comfortable for the audience.

That violence is fun and comfortable rather than terrifying is the right-wing fantasy. You are objecting to this challenge to your fantasy of a man who exists to inflict terror through violence being "okay" because somehow no real harm is done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Equilibrium posted:

Then they become a neoliberal power fantasy. What you do matters not at all but the posture you take when doing it means everything. Batman's solemn vow not to paralyze people for life.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Equilibrium posted:

I feel like it's in part a symptom of how the Russo movies want to be taken seriously as political thrillers and operate within the language of politics but are also super allergic to anything remotely resembling policy, so the whole concept of the Sokovia Accords just becomes this empty canard that's gonna get flouted and/or co-opted by existing moneyed interests from day one, and if we're really generous then that's maybe the (hyper-cynical) point

It also rules how the general geek culture zeitgeist is pro-Marvel and anti-DC but is also generally liberally-minded so like, there are some bonus points on the table that they can score if they also point out how Marvel movies support these egalitarian and tolerant values, how DC movies are vile right-wing power fantasies, how Zack Snyder is a die-hard objectivist, and so on. It's almost always hopelessly out of its depth, but like... it's just too drat tempting to pass up

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jenny Angel posted:

I feel like it's in part a symptom of how the Russo movies want to be taken seriously as political thrillers and operate within the language of politics but are also super allergic to anything remotely resembling policy, so the whole concept of the Sokovia Accords just becomes this empty canard that's gonna get flouted and/or co-opted by existing moneyed interests from day one, and if we're really generous then that's maybe the (hyper-cynical) point

It also rules how the general geek culture zeitgeist is pro-Marvel and anti-DC but is also generally liberally-minded so like, there are some bonus points on the table that they can score if they also point out how Marvel movies support these egalitarian and tolerant values, how DC movies are vile right-wing power fantasies, how Zack Snyder is a die-hard objectivist, and so on. It's almost always hopelessly out of its depth, but like... it's just too drat tempting to pass up
I doubt that the Russos want their movies want to be taken that seriously

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

At least then they'd answer to someone. The Commander and Chief of the military is the President who is elected by the people. Superman is a some random alien dickhead who treats Earth and humanity like his little playthings. All the power in the world and no one to answer to. He faces no meaningful consequences for his gross incompetence in the Zod fight in MoS. Same with Batman. That mother fucker belongs in prison.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaws posted:

At least then they'd answer to someone. The Commander and Chief of the military is the President who is elected by the people. Superman is a some random alien dickhead who treats Earth and humanity like his little playthings. All the power in the world and no one to answer to. He faces no meaningful consequences for his gross incompetence in the Zod fight in MoS. Same with Batman. That mother fucker belongs in prison.
Oh, so you're doing the Lex Luthor posting gimmick. Ok.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

People nevertheless do.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would probably be pretty conflicted if there was an invulnerable god-man out and about because that is some really scary poo poo. Hm, he could destroy this entire city and all other cities in the world and we wouldn't have a say in it. Also, he identifies as American, what does that mean, will he fight for America if there's a war :psyduck:

The upside is that he appears to be on our side, at least

For now :getin:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

You didn't want Chiwetel Ejiofor to be Dr. Strange because he's black and Dr. Strange is white.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, so you're doing the Lex Luthor posting gimmick. Ok.

You're right we should just let them do whatever the gently caress they want, there's no way that will ever turn out bad. How silly of that guy for suggesting oversight would be a good thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yaws posted:

At least then they'd answer to someone. The Commander and Chief of the military is the President who is elected by the people. Superman is a some random alien dickhead who treats Earth and humanity like his little playthings. All the power in the world and no one to answer to. He faces no meaningful consequences for his gross incompetence in the Zod fight in MoS.

A Superman who answered to Bush and Cheney would have sure been something

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're right we should just let them do whatever the gently caress they want, there's no way that will ever turn out bad. How silly of that guy for suggesting oversight would be a good thing.

It works so well for the US Military.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This Superman was in The Dark Knight, Reagan sent him to murder Batman for making the government look bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

You're right we should just let Superman do whatever the gently caress he wants

Congratulations, you've decoded the message of Batman v Superman, a movie that ends with Superman (of his own free will) dying for his adopted planet and Batman's redemption.

It's almost like he's the only son of this godly force that chooses to constrain, submit, humble, and ultimately sacrifice himself for the good of Mankind.

But - and this is important - he doesn't smile enough while doing it. So gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A Superman who answered to Bush and Cheney would have sure been something

While I'm not sure if this happened in DC Comics, the Ultimate Marvel universe at least took a stab at this

• Locked thread