Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Smash 4 and Mario Maker tie at number 1 for me. Smash runs through my veins, and in my most humble opinion, everything Sakurai Masahiro touches turns to gold. On the other hand, because of Mario Maker, some Japanese kid halfway cross the globe told me in broken english that my level was fun and smart and that felt really good.

Also, just to be a bit controversial here's my list of favorite Platinum games on the Wii U.

1. Star Fox Zero
2. Wonderful 101
3. Bayonetta 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So what ended up being your favorite Wii U game, thread?

1. Pikmin 3
2. Wonderful 101
3. Mario Maker
4. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
5. Splatoon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what are the worst or most forgettable nintendo published retail wii u games?

amiibo festival?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

amiibo festival?

That Mario Tennis game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

amiibo festival?

give me a 5 worst

I'd say Devil's Third, but the multiplayer was actually somewhat enjoyable there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Did anyone actually get the Wii U updates of the Wii Sports games?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

elf help book posted:

Did anyone actually get the Wii U updates of the Wii Sports games?

That would require people to buy the WiiU update of the Wii

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

amiibo festival?

maybe it was that one non-fighting pokemon game that I have no idea what the title is

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TheScott2K posted:

That would require people to buy the WiiU update of the Wii

This thread is full of people who bought Wii Us discussing which Wii U games they got and enjoy.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Real hurthling! posted:

amiibo festival?

Either that or Game and Wario. It wasn't bad per se I just always forget it exists.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Real hurthling! posted:

amiibo festival?

I don't own any of these so this is a spitballing list, but

Devil's Third
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
Mario and Sonic at the Soichi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
SiNG Party
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

I mean, I expect someone to immediately swoop in and tell me I'm an idiot and that SiNG Party is the best game ever designed.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I really liked Captain Toad, it was like a relaxing cross between a puzzle box and a diorama.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Chieves posted:

The Wii U has the best ratio of good games to bad games ever, even surpassing the Dreamcast.

True, but the Wii U did admittedly have some terrible titles, even a few terrible first-party titles like Amiibo Festival, Mario Party 10, and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

EDIT: I really want to play Fatal Frame V, but no one can give me a straight answer as to whether or not it sucks.

EDIT 2: Other Wii U exclusives that are horrible dogshit include the Wii U version of Rodea the Sky Soldier, which is luckily bundled with the fantastic Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier. Sadly, the eShop version only has the terrible Wii U version.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 12, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would have a hard time choosing my favourite Wii U game, but Woolly World and Rayman Legends, which admittedly is also on PC and PS4, were never mentioned and I think very highly of both. Not that the ones mentioned were bad. The Wii U will go down as a system with an admittedly limited line of great games that was done in by terrible marketing and a badly received gimmick, and I say that as someone who loves the tablet except for the terrible life of the default battery.

Sam Faust posted:

because of Mario Maker, some Japanese kid halfway cross the globe told me in broken english that my level was fun and smart and that felt really good.

This is off-topic, but I'm a college professor and I'm teaching a bunch of 1st-semester courses this term. One of my students, who is Chinese and struggles a bit with her English, told me in perfect French in a composition that she respected me. I'm still smiling about that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
this grover muppet is stuck on my youtube suggestions now. drat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm still waiting for Zelda to validate my Wii U purchase.

Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade are ok but both have issues I have hard time getting past

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Open world games, super-linear first-person shooters, "press X to Jason," $60 + DLC Season Pass Movie Experience, these are the real video games. By Gamers for Gamers™

What is "press X to Jason"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Has anyone said Zombi U yet?
If not, why has nobody said Zombi U?

Little Mac posted:

Okay, top ten list is:

1. Super Mario Maker
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Smash 4
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Splatoon
6. DKC: Tropical Freeze
7. Yoshi's Wooly World
8. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
9. Hyrule Warriors
10. Shovel Knight (the best version is absolutely the Wii U version)

Mario Party 10 is pretty good, Wind Waker HD is the first time that game really clicked for me, and NintendoLand, Wii Party U, and, oddly enough, Game and Wario (mostly for the drawing game) are all fun in short bursts.

I liked Wii Party U better than Mario Party 10, and much like Nintendo Land I felt like it didn't get the love or recognition it deserved.

Patter Song posted:

True, but the Wii U did admittedly have some terrible titles, even a few terrible first-party titles like Amiibo Festival, Mario Party 10, and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

MP10 is good and fun if you're not a gigantic baby who can't get over the fact that it's not the same as whatever iteration you played when you were 12. Wii Party U was better though, and those other two games you listed are legit bad.

As far as bad / forgettable games go, it seems like those were front loaded on the Wii U's launch, like that one lovely Call of Duty game and the kids movie cash ins like Rise of the Guardians, which I got for Christmas one year for some reason.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 12, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2BS4I7Zq8

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: I really want to play Fatal Frame V, but no one can give me a straight answer as to whether or not it sucks.

I showed the game trailers to my friend who played through three of the games and he said it didn't look very good but didn't really elaborate on why. So, I have no idea.

Okay, now link to the video where the guy's game glitches and he plays the entire ending sequence with Ethan yelling "Shaun!" every two seconds nonstop.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I wish we'd get a sign, like the image of a handheld-console hybrid appearing on somebody's toast or something.

Thank SHSL Ambiguity for the confusion. It's all their fault!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I showed the game trailers to my friend who played through three of the games and he said it didn't look very good but didn't really elaborate on why. So, I have no idea.

Okay, now link to the video where the guy's game glitches and he plays the entire ending sequence with Ethan yelling "Shaun!" every two seconds nonstop.

linking people directly to the ending sequence of a bad game they might want to misguidedly play is kinda mean though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

5.- Mario Kart 8
4.- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
3.- Splatoon
2.- Super Mario 3D World
1.- The Wonderful 101

Top 3 were complete and utter joy to play, like some of my best gaming experiences ever from start to finish. I still haven't played Hyrule Warriors or Yoshi's Woolly World yet tho.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bean posted:

107 pages, baby!

I'm rewatching the Pokemon anime with my husband who's never seen it and I'm really sad we'll never get a Team Rocket game, speaking of Pokemon stuff we should have and don't.

team rocket game? that's a step down there's a reddit page where people will payreal money for pokemon all you gotta do is catch them and play team rocket in real life

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

a.lo posted:

this grover muppet is stuck on my youtube suggestions now. drat.

If you look at your YouTube history, you can find the muppet video and remove it. Or delete your history entirely, or whatever. That should help.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

If you look at your YouTube history, you can find the muppet video and remove it. Or delete your history entirely, or whatever. That should help.

you click on the triple dots

and then click tell us why

and then there should be 2 checkboxes to fill

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

zolthorg posted:

you click on the triple dots

and then click tell us why

and then there should be 2 checkboxes to fill

thanks, so that's how you get rid of poo poo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

1 - super mario 3d world
2 - rayman legends (wii u best version obv)
3 - DKC tropical freeze
4 - captain toad: treasure tracker
5 - splatoon
6 - mario kart 8
7 - pushmo world
8 - mario maker
9 - smash 4
10 - pikmin 3

not played yet but own: affordable space adventures

games i havent bought yet that I still want to play:

hyrule warriors
TMS#FE
yoshi wooly world
severed
bayonetta 2
wonderful 101

also thanks to virtual console i got to play:

minish cap
phantom hourglass
metroid zero mission
advance wars
fire emblem GBA + sacred stones
metroid prime 3
punch-out wii

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Patter Song posted:

definitely does not suck but your enjoyment may hinge on how into j-horror you get.

for me, mario kart 8, splatoon and mario maker were just incredible. and last weekend we had a six player smashfest and it was an absolute blast. that plus game and wario are regular drinking game times for my group of pals and i think it will prolly stay that way for a while

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 12, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

I really liked Captain Toad, it was like a relaxing cross between a puzzle box and a diorama.
It kicks rear end. The level design is really good, small focused levels without the requirements of a normal platformer let them do cool things.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm curious, for those of you who owned multiple consoles from this generation (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U), what, if anything, made Nintendo's first party titles stand out from the games on other systems?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

they weren't on steam and i had a good computer already. when i moved and could only bring a lovely laptop and my wii u, i got a ps4 because it has exclusives like bloodborne, some other incoming games, and runs crossplatform stuff better then a default x bone

at this point in time i am buying an nx when splatoon comes out on it, i can play zelda for probably slightly cheaper on the wii u and i already have hyrule warriors and smash with all the dlcs so i'm not feeling the biting urge to have a launch day nx unless we have launch day splatoon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm curious, for those of you who owned multiple consoles from this generation (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U), what, if anything, made Nintendo's first party titles stand out from the games on other systems?
Nintendo tends to make polished, focused games. They do one thing and they do it well. A lot of big games now have a ton of different mechanics and side missions and so forth. Nintendo games are just really good at one thing. Compare Splatoon to, say, Fallout 4. Or even Splatoon to Overwatch, which is a more direct comparison. Splatoon does a lot less than Overwatch (which is already a way narrower game than most major releases), but it's very good at what it does. Mario 3D World is just a platformer. Captain Toad is even more simplified and minimal than that. Mario Maker just makes Marios. Nintendo stuff also tends to avoid story, cutscenes, etc., although not universally. That's not to say a big epic sprawling experience is always bad - and Nintendo has certainly done that with Xenoblade Chronicles X, for instance - but that's what makes Nintendo games stand out.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWlmE51efA4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nintendo exclusives have good level design. Games on other systems have no level design

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo makes video games other companies made bideo bames

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really fuckin' love Mario.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I will probably trade in my Xbone and PS Vita for a NX. I just has to push all my gaming buttons and maybe launch with Mario Kart.

Mario Kart 8 was cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hi anidav and little mac

• Locked thread