Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is all completely normal. I was also told that in my mid-40s-ish, I may need reading glasses. I had halos at night with my contacts and I still have them, just not as bad.

Got it done in my mid-twenties and this was made known to me.

38 now, so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You hit 40 and your close-up vision just goes to poo poo. It was so sudden it was like someone flipped a switch.

At least my generation will never need to buy large print books.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is all completely normal. I was also told that in my mid-40s-ish, I may need reading glasses. I had halos at night with my contacts and I still have them, just not as bad.

Krispy Kareem posted:

You hit 40 and your close-up vision just goes to poo poo. It was so sudden it was like someone flipped a switch.

Exactly this. It's not what your LASIK was for. When you hit 40-something you can't focus close easily because of presbyopia. It's a thing. And from what my doc tells me there are some treatments for it but not nearly as well proven as standard LASIK correction and he can't recommend them in good faith quite yet.

So yeah.....I have reading glasses now. And still better than average vision at a distance like always.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Less Fat Luke posted:

Just a question, why would you not get free LASIK? I had PRK which is a super loving painful version of it and it was still one of the best things I've done healthwise.

My vision isn't that bad. I only wear glasses for distance and I don't wear them unless I have to drive or go to the store or something. It just seems like it would be a lot of hassle for what is a relatively small issue in my life.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Supposedly when you're nearsighted it can sometimes correct itself as you age because everyone's vision slowly shifts outward with age (which is why old people use reading glasses) :shrug:

I'm nearsighted and wear glasses but haven't needed the prescription changed since I was like 15. GWM: I've had the same pair for 5 years now. BWLife: they're all scratched and awful and the only reason I haven't gotten new ones is laziness.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

spincube posted:

I had LASEK done in 2010. Did all the sums, working out what my contact lenses were costing per month vs. cost of surgery from then until when your vision will start to naturally degrade anyway...

...started wearing glasses again just before Christmas last year, after catching myself squinting at roadsigns :(

I got LASIK done in 2011 and stories like this really worry me. Every once in awhile I'll be on low sleep or something and my vision will be blurry for a sec so I panic and rub my eyes and... nope still 20/15.

My night vision has definitely been worse since the surgery though. Massive halos around every light source. Still very GWM even though I used my whole savings.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A Bag of Milk posted:

My night vision has definitely been worse since the surgery though. Massive halos around every light source.
I've heard that from every single person I know irl that's had corrective eye surgery.
This is why I'll never get it done, no matter how many eye doctors try to sell me on it. Good night vision is vital to my livelihood. I'll save the risks associated with eye surgery for when it's medically necessary. Contacts and glasses until then tyvm.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

B33rChiller posted:

I've heard that from every single person I know irl that's had corrective eye surgery.
This is why I'll never get it done, no matter how many eye doctors try to sell me on it. Good night vision is vital to my livelihood. I'll save the risks associated with eye surgery for when it's medically necessary. Contacts and glasses until then tyvm.

Exactly. I did quite a bit of medical research into sight correction before deciding against it. Minor complications aren't so minor when it is happening to *you*. I don't get why so many people here are so cool with these minor complications.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Old man derail is best derail.

This isn't too BWM but to get things on track I thought I would mention it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/52gel0/my_boyfriend_just_got_hired_at_a_company_that/ posted:

So, like I said, my boyfriend just got hired at a marketing company in Southern California that says they only hire through internship. He has his bachelors degree in marketing and did search for a job for quite a while before settling for the unpaid internship. First they told him that he had to pay $3000 to be an internship there so they could label it a "training program," and when he declined they offered him the internship free of cost. He is supposed to work there for 90 days until they tell him whether he's hired or not. He's about 2 weeks in and he works 4 days a week from 9-4 everyday. It is a lot of work not to get paid, and while he's living with his mom and has all of his basic living needs paid for, it still sucks to be poor. Would you guys recommend him getting a part time job until he finds out if he's hired? Is it a waste of time? Let me know what you guys think...
They're not complete idiots but still, when a company says we only hire through internship, it's either illegal where you are from or just not worth your time.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

$500 to save a goldfish.

quote:

A worried pet owner spent $500 on veterinary procedures to save her goldfish after it swallowed a pebble in Brisbane, Australia.

Emma Marsh bought her goldfish Conquer one year ago for just $12.

But when she noticed he was struggling after choking on a piece of shingle in his tank, money became no object in her bid to save his life.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Suspicious Lump posted:

Old man derail is best derail.

This isn't too BWM but to get things on track I thought I would mention it:
They're not complete idiots but still, when a company says we only hire through internship, it's either illegal where you are from or just not worth your time.
"You should never pay money to work somewhere" should be tattooed onto everyone once they turn 18. I get that people get desperate, but nothing legitimate will want you to shell out $3000 on top of not getting paid for three months.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Ok this is a little tangential but it's loving hilarious:

quote:

I just moved into my new apartment this past December, and it’s been great so far. I’m having one big problem and my landlord is being stubborn so I was hoping you guys could help me. I’ve been living here for three months now my condition is coming up again. I talked to my psychologist and he suggested an emotional support animal and gave me papers to give to my landlord. I tried to do that but my landlord told me that our building was a “No pets” building (is that even legal?) and that I wasn’t allowed to have Cooper in my apartment. I have a lease and can’t afford to move, but I also need my support animal with me. Is what the landlord is doing legal or can I fight it?

quote:

Cooper isn't a dog, he's a raccoon.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Holy poo poo that is hilarious. He goes on to say

quote:

Sorry I didn't know that. I don't have a lot of money but I got a good deal on him.

quote:

According to my friend he was raised free-range which is why he was so expensive.
Oh no I hope they don't have any bad diseases like say...

quote:

racoons are CRAZY carriers of rabies and rarely are symptomatic themselves.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Yeah, I got a real good deal on my free range raccoon here. I don't understand why my landlord won't let him in the building.

What kind of psychologist tells someone that a raccoon will help with their emotional problems?

The Kestrel
Dec 16, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah but you don't have to buy two pairs of prescription glasses every drat month.

Sidenote: I work for an eye clinic and get one pair of free glasses every year and all additional glasses at cost. It's pretty great. I could also get free LASIK if I wanted.

Get free LASIK then. I had it done, and it was one of the best decisions of my life.... So far. :eyepop:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

And now he's back home. :3: Spending money on medical care for your pets is only BWM if you can't afford it. And if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have pets. I spent close to $1k on a guinea pig surgery and aftercare once, and I'd do it again if I had to.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You know you can just get another one, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moneyball posted:

You know you can just get another one, right?

That's not how feelings work!!!!!!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Enfys posted:

Yeah, I got a real good deal on my free range raccoon here. I don't understand why my landlord won't let him in the building.

What kind of psychologist tells someone that a raccoon will help with their emotional problems?

They gave up on helping the patient and focused on just warning those who come into contact with them that they have major issues?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
When you own a pet, you take on the cost of owning it. Just because you bought it for $12.50 doesn't mean that's where your financial responsibility ends. As far as the goldfish, as long as that $500 wasn't the money they needed to live off of for the next month or something then what they really did isn't exactly BWM.

I mean we literally just had a debate over whether or not buying a 55k used Porsche was bad with money. If you have the money, and if you can afford it, that doesn't really make it bad with money. The key word is afford and that definition seems to vary from person to person a lot. Hence all these wonderful stories of mortgage-sized horse kenneling fees.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Well you can't drive a hamster to work, which brings us back to...

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Moneyball posted:

Well you can't drive a hamster to work, which brings us back to...

Uhh there's a million Prius drivers who would disagree

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Sirotan posted:

And now he's back home. :3: Spending money on medical care for your pets is only BWM if you can't afford it. And if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have pets. I spent close to $1k on a guinea pig surgery and aftercare once, and I'd do it again if I had to.

I've spent over 3000 on medical care for my Dachshund. Because that's Dachshund things (leg issues and epilepsy). I knew the risks when I got her. I'm also not a poor scrublord and had no ill feelings about spending the money to take care of her.

Youth Decay posted:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?499858-Paying-Board-in-Adavance-Good-or-Bad

So many layers of BWM here:
1. Taking out loans for a PhD program
2. Owning a horse
3. Owning a horse while in debt for a PhD program
4. Paying several months of horse board up front
5. Using student loan money for a horse
6. Paying horse board up front with student loans taken out for a PhD program

My god, the only way this could be better is if the PhD was at a for profit college.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 13, 2016

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

DEMAG posted:

I've spent over 3000 on medical care for my Dachshund. Because that's Dachshund things (leg issues and epilepsy). I knew the risks when I got her. I'm also not a poor scrublord and had no ill feelings about spending the money to take care of her.

Spent 14K on my two sausage dogs in 1 year...Even took 1 month off work so I could care for the little girl that had corrective surgery to fix bilateral pes varus..Id be walking around the yard with a sling around her waist for support while she picked a spot to go to the toilet. This was literally 3-4 times a day for a month, I even made all these mind stimulation games so she wouldn't get bored coz I could t take her for walks. Now she knows how to search for things I tell her to find haha.

People balk at that sum but I wouldn't have gotten dogs if I couldn't afford it...they're my best friends for real, even if people think I'm crazy.

Which reminds me, one lady came into work upset saying she had to put her dog down because it got attacked and she couldn't afford to pay $2K to get him fixed with a high success rate...she came to work with a new Jeep Wrangler with personalised plates 10 days later...

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Dont racoons go full on mental after they grow to be full adults? Like 2-3 years of lovely cute omg look at those hands to full blown bat poo poo 'I will destroy your house and you' crazy?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wasn't aware you get two years before they do that, but yea, racoons are terrible pets. They're more or less on par with monkeys in terms of being little psychopaths with hands who will gently caress up all your stuff and bite you, with the added benefit that racoons will also attack your house and eat holes in the walls/ceiling/doors.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DfGf4M3QZo

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Raccoons: The ultimate BWM + BWL combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyuY4UjOGGo

Teeter fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 13, 2016

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Enfys posted:

A pretend one. They totally bought a raccoon with bitcoin as an emotional support animal, come on you guys.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Dont racoons go full on mental after they grow to be full adults? Like 2-3 years of lovely cute omg look at those hands to full blown bat poo poo 'I will destroy your house and you' crazy?

My dad was a wild man when I was a child and so I've had the pleasure/displeasure of having many wild birds and mammals as pets. Little racoons are cute and they don't get too rough, but just as all wild animals do when they hit puberty/maturation stages (~1yr +/- depending on the animal) they become the wild animal that they truly are. This is why wild animals do not make good pets. Even a bobkitten that you raised from birth is never truly domesticated, they are simply tame. Which means... the wild can come out at any time.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

This. This poo poo right here. I turned 41 this year. Held something with tiny writing up to my face and it didn't get clearer like it usually does. Happened in public and I felt so goddamn old.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

After LASIK, I started seeing arrows on Fedex logos and it still hasn't gone away. Avoid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Worst part about close-up vision is keeping reading glasses nearby. Something that's small, easy to use and then put away. I've seriously considered a monocle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Trillian posted:

A pretend one. They totally bought a raccoon with bitcoin as an emotional support animal, come on you guys.
Even if this is real, it's not that hard to find a therapist who will rubber-stamp your animal of choice as being an emotional support animal. Or you could just do it online:

quote:

If you want to turn your pet into a certified E.S.A., all you need is a therapist type who will vouch for your mental un-health. Don’t have one? Enter “emotional-support animal” into Google and take your pick among hundreds of willing professionals. Through a site called ESA Registration of America, I found a clinical social worker in California who, at a cost of a hundred and forty dollars, agreed to evaluate me over the phone to discuss the role of Augustus, the snake, in my life.

:words:

I’d better come clean. This was the only time I was evaluated. On my other outings with animals, I brandished a doctored version of the original snake letter. (If talking seems too last-century, you can consult thedogtor.net, where getting your E.S.A. certified is “only a mouse-click away.” You fill out a seventy-four-question medical exam online and receive your paperwork within two days, for just a hundred and ninety dollars.)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I really hope that the goldfish swallowed another pebble once it was released back into its tank.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

I really hope that the goldfish swallowed another pebble once it was released back into its tank.

It'll live out the remainder of its 2 week lifespan in comfort.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It'll live out the remainder of its 2 week lifespan in comfort.

I know you're being sarcastic here but

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't they evolve into koi after like 2 years? Or 5000exp?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Taking that racoon story as truth is bad with posting, I am very disappointed in all of you right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

https://youtu.be/0DfGf4M3QZo

• Locked thread