Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Orange Harrison posted:

Why can't you just turn off random curses already? The Lost can start with Holy Mantle but perish the thought you can unlock Black Candle as a starting item for anybody.

you can use the BLCK CNDL seed to do this. lots of races are done with that turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They should just get rid of the lovely ones.

e: specifically Curse of Darkness and Curse of the Unknown. Curse of the Lost and Curse of the Maze should only affect unexplored rooms.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 13, 2016

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Hyphen-ated posted:

you can use the BLCK CNDL seed to do this. lots of races are done with that turned on.

:aaa: I wish I knew this existed last year at the PAX Isaac race. The staff was so clueless they got overwhelmed with technical questions from us and just threw their hands up and let us wing most of the peripheral rules.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I've sort of given up on Isaac because I'm irritated that they're not bringing the updates to the Vita version. By far it is my favourite version of the game, and going from the PC with all the extras back to the Vita makes it feel empty. I wish nicalis were a better developer.

I think it sucks too, though I gave up and got the PC version.

FWIW there's a portable Windows handheld coming out soon called the GPD Win. Not sure how Isaac will run on it though - does anyone here have an idea?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They should just get rid of the lovely ones.

e: specifically Curse of Darkness and Curse of the Unknown. Curse of the Lost and Curse of the Maze should only affect unexplored rooms.

What do you have against the Unknown? That one was easy enough to counter by picking up a heart before hurting yourself if you have to. Here's my misguided opinions on the curses, listed from most to least harmful:
  • Curse of the Blind - Run-killer. Remove that poo poo immediately.
  • Curse of the Lost - Incredibly frustrating artificial difficulty that either needs to be removed or made counterable. At least with the amnesia pill the player can choose to take the risk.
  • Curse of the Maze - A good example of how something doesn't have to be directly harmful in order to still be Bad Game Design™. Extra frustrating when you're trying to play cleanup and have to do a lot of traveling and little fighting.
  • Curse of the Unknown - If you're good you don't need to look at your health. If your build is based around deliberately hurting yourself, you can soft counter this curse by picking up the right number of hearts before doing so. REMOVE THIS IN DEVIL ROOMS.
  • Curse of Darkness - It's still the same game. Deal with it or turn up your gamma. Counterable with Night Light.
  • Curse of the Labyrinth - Changes up the game in a constructive fun way, instead of randomly handicapping the player like all other curses. All curses should be designed on this model.

Terrible out-of-rear end suggestions:
  • Make Curse of the Lost only hide icons/landmarks. Not the entire drat map. Or make it counterable: don't let it override navigational items the player is already carrying!
  • Update more light-bearing items to counter Curse of Darkness. Night Light already does this, but Mining Helmet doesn't. Make this last all game (apparently it only works on floor-of-origin right now.)
  • Introduce some method of countering curses that isn't just Black Candle or Dagaz. Jamming a donation machine, using a sacrifice room until you get the "you are blessed" message, a button hidden in the secret room, just put something in for the love of god.

Of course I'm not insisting all these should be implemented together; you could keep the curses as awful as they are and it would be tolerable if they were made counterable, or conversely nerf the curses themselves and keep them uncounterable.

Better curses that are based on the style of Labyrinth:
  • More champion enemies (like champion belt does).
  • A "bad luck" type curse with lower chance for drops/tear effects on that floor. Still counterable by having a healthy luck stat. Okay, it's still a handicap, but it's miles away from the kind of handicaps offered by Unknown and Lost.
  • I dunno, replace key doors with bomb doors. The point is change it up, not randomly handicap the player. Bomb doors are underused anyway.
  • Maybe introduce good curses so it can go either way? Small chance you start with the floor revealed, or with all your health restored, or chests are bountiful (like Mom's Key). Call them Blessings!
  • Still remove curse of the blind.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 13, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

watho posted:

They're just showing off what you can do with the modding tools, it's a reskin of Duke of Flies.

Okay but isn't everything in AB+ done with the modding tools to show how they work? I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in the final product.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In 1100+ hours, I haven't seen these enemies in the Chest. Now I see them every single run. What?

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay but isn't everything in AB+ done with the modding tools to show how they work? I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in the final product.

When Afterbirth was coming out, they were asked if they were going to make items/enemies based on specific streamers. They said no because they didn't want leave someone out and hurt their feelings.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Skunkrocker posted:

Maybe included in the mod list, but not in the main mix and not on by default.

I don't know Twitch streamers, so this guy, the Bacon thing that Duke of Flies turned into, and the flying beard that replaced Fistula are new to me. Watching Northernlion!Monstro cough up a bomb and die to it was amusing, I guess. I like that you can mod in new art assets, like the floor and wall art.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Orange Harrison posted:

[*]Curse of the Maze - A good example of how something doesn't have to be directly harmful in order to still be Bad Game Design™. Extra frustrating when you're trying to play cleanup and have to do a lot of traveling and little fighting.

They should change Maze so that it can only teleport you to rooms you haven't cleared. That way you can still walk into a trap, which is a dick move and presumably the intended effect, but it doesn't needlessly delay and frustrate once you've cleared the floor and just want to clean up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Curse of the Maze annoys me because it doesnt make the game harder at all, but what it can do is immediately, and through no fault of the players, kill an attempt at the boss rush/hush. It makes a level more time consuming and duller (yay! backtracking!) but not really more challenging. Its a perfect example of making a game worse but not harder.

Curse of the lost should annoy me, but I pretty much always explore the floors in the same order (or at least I folllow the same system) so that makes it fairly easy to keep track of where I've been already.

I dont hate Curse of the Blind too much either to be honest. I see it as making items calculated risks, but I will say it is pretty irritating when your first possible visit to a store/devil deal is rendered essentailly pointless because you cant see whats on offer.

Curse of Darkness... Is it my imagination or is this poo poo darker than it was before afterbirth? I'm on the PS4 and it didnt used to be a big deal but more than a few times since afterbirth I've been killed by enemies that are essentially invisible against the background in the dark. Honestly wouldnt mind this too much if the light around isaac was just a little brighter. Keep obscuring distant enemies but sometimes a spider has to be practically standing on my toes before hes visible. This one I would say is artificial difficulty because "you cant see poo poo" is deliberate bad design.

Curse of the Unknown just doesnt have any particular effect on me 99 games out of 100. Its only that rare run when I'm relying on something like the Razor Blade, but even then I can usually remember how much health I had at the start of the level and work from there. Its a waste of time because it just doesnt really do anything to the game.

Curse of the Labyrinth is awesome fun and I really like it. Enjoyed the challenge with super curse of the labyrinth, its just a fun time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm talking about ones that either waste your time or which just introduce a dumb memory minigame on you that can easily be tracked with pen and paper. I have no problem with curses that make the game harder (maybe you shouldn't be able to get them on floor 1 to cut down on restart scumming).

Curse of the Lost would be ok if it just disabled mapping items and let you see rooms you actually visited. Making you keep a notepad of a large level doesn't add anything interesting.

Curse of the Unknown does nothing interesting. All it does is make you keep a note of how much health you have. Bad design, no redeeming features.

Curse of the Blind gets you to make a calculated choice when picking up items. It makes the game harder but that's ok.

Curse of Darkness could be implemented as a 'spotlight' on the character with the rest of the room being pitch black, but I suspect that wouldn't be fun. As it is all it does is force you to pause and turn up the brightness of your game which is loving stupid. As is the curse has no redeeming features.

Curse of the Labyrinth is fine.

Curse of the Maze should only send you to unexplored rooms so it doesn't make trekking around an explored level take longer. Being stuck in an unexplored part of the level is interesting so it's worth keeping that part.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

If you've played enough games where navigation is key, you shouldn't ever need to worry about map memorization, so Curse of the Lost is a non-starter. Especially with Isaac, where there's only so many level layouts, unless you passed by a super valuable pickup somewhere and forgot to note the location, but then that's on you.

Labyrinth is alright, Maze and Unknown and Blind are annoying but unless you're hardcore speedrunning they can be dealt with.

Curse of Darkness is abject bullshit, though. Especially since I play this in evenings and keep the light down because roomates.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's enough for a mechanic to be tolerable, I think it should add something to the game.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Finally got #1 in time on a daily run!!! For now.........

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Today I am livestreaming some Isaac with Timesplitters music overlaid if that's your thing. https://www.twitch.tv/orangeharrisonrb

Edit: That was fun I think

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 15, 2016

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Orange Harrison posted:

Today I am livestreaming some Isaac with Timesplitters music overlaid if that's your thing. https://www.twitch.tv/orangeharrisonrb

Ya didn't take Lord of the Pit and I bailed.. Bad move!!!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I was holding onto those red hearts for something better next floor! :argh:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I don't think it's enough for a mechanic to be tolerable, I think it should add something to the game.

That means half the game's items are right out.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Jusupov posted:

Isaac's heart and dangle boss finally ended larsfests eden streak at 808 runs

https://www.twitch.tv/larsfest/v/87832079

Thats a really impressive streak, wow.

The heart is such a trash item, most items in the game have their uses even though they're not great but the heart is basically asking to die

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Losing control over how your own hitbox moves is a killer. It might be more tolerable if you controlled the heart directly and Isaac's body became the follower.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SaviourX posted:

That means half the game's items are right out.
Which ones are you thinking of?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

If enemies still targeted Isaac's actual body, which ought to make sense, then the item would be pretty good and fun.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

that ivy guy posted:

If enemies still targeted Isaac's actual body, which ought to make sense, then the item would be pretty good and fun.

Or if the heart didn't use the standard follower AI and instead clung tightly to your body, letting you pivot around to get in front of shots more reliably.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Ok, getting curse of the unknown on the first floor with Eden is some prime bullshit.
And just to rub it in I spawned with IV bag.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Orange Harrison posted:

Ok, getting curse of the unknown on the first floor with Eden is some prime bullshit.
And just to rub it in I spawned with IV bag.

On the other side of the RNG spectrum, I started a Greed run and my Eden started with Godhead. The two treasure items in the first floor was Death's Touch and Wire Coat Hanger. :getin:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Which ones are you thinking of?

Facetiousness.

But really, most of the trinkets, the poop, lemon mishap, soy milk, suicide bomber, etc. Anything that's just variations on a theme, that doesn't really alter or add any mechanics in any significant way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Soy milk is great because it's bad but has a lot of cool synergies.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Yeah if you have the right combo, Soy Milk can be pretty amazing. I once had it with Ipecac and Cricket's Body.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Does Soy Milk + Polyphemus have different effects if you pick them up in different order? I found them both once and it sucked, so I googled it and there was a video demonstrating the same thing but people were saying you get a better effect if you pick up the right one first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Orange Harrison posted:

Does Soy Milk + Polyphemus have different effects if you pick them up in different order? I found them both once and it sucked, so I googled it and there was a video demonstrating the same thing but people were saying you get a better effect if you pick up the right one first.

Nope. What you were hearing was either misinformation, or that if you have one item, you may as well pick up the other one, but not the other way around. In this case, if you come across Polyphemus while having Soy Milk, go ahead and pick it up since it'll be a DPS increase. (The tears start doing Isaac's base damage again, and you'll have a slightly faster fire rate than normal.) But if you have Polyphemus and come across Soy Milk, don't pick it up in that case since you'll tank your DPS that way.

Incidentally, do not pick up Polyphemus if you have Soy Milk + Libra. That will ruin your combo, and probably your run.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nope. What you were hearing was either misinformation, or that if you have one item, you may as well pick up the other one, but not the other way around. In this case, if you come across Polyphemus while having Soy Milk, go ahead and pick it up since it'll be a DPS increase. (The tears start doing Isaac's base damage again, and you'll have a slightly faster fire rate than normal.) But if you have Polyphemus and come across Soy Milk, don't pick it up in that case since you'll tank your DPS that way.

Actually, it's better than that. Your damage doesn't quite go back to normal (3 damage, vs 3.5 base on Isaac) but your shot delay ends up at 4, which is the normal tears cap. Pick up a couple tears items and you're back up to Soy Milk's normal speed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I didn't get a screenshot, but in today's Daily Run I ended up with two Steam Sales and Restock and it ended up where I could endlessly get items from the store for free. I exhausted the item pool pretty quickly and just steamrolled through the rest of the game and 99 of every item.

I had no idea they changed Steam Sale this way because every time I end up with two, it's after fighting Mom.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Yeah today's was actually fun. There's 3 Steam Sales floating about but getting the third doesn't add anything else.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I got a loadout with The Lost that was definitely going to be able to beat Hush (even carrying a chaos card just to be safe) and I got insta'd by bloat in the depths since he can still bypass cover and hit you as soon as he spawns from 3 of the 4 possible directions to enter his chamber. :rubshands:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I need to put this game down for a while. I had an AMAZING run with the Keeper in which I had the Sacred Heart, Stopwatch, Holy Mantle, and a host of other items. Took out Hush, Satan, and the Lamb in one go. However when it came time to fighting Mega Satan, I didn't realize that the Stopwatch would make his blood beam come out almost instantly. It also didn't help that I had a ton of damage ups and Explosivo so during his spawning phases, I could barely see enemy shots and I got hit twice. His insta-beam ended my run. I feel like I'm getting heartburn from the stress of losing.

I don't know what it is about Keeper but it feels harder to play as him then The Lost. Almost always I get amazingly lovely items or a billion Health Ups and Devil Room with 2+ heart items. :rant:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like that you can find Steven in gold chests now. I had a run where I found Steven in a random chest in the first floor, then had the Steven boss on the same floor and got another Steven item. I was expecting Little Steve but instead I spent the game smashing through everything with massive damage shots.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I FINALLY beat Mega Satan with the Lost, using a ghetto knockoff of Satan's megablast. My key items were:
Ipecac + Cricket's Body (huge liability, I know)
Shoop Da Whoop + Car Battery (Ipecac damage x8!)
The Battery (so I could use the mega-shoop twice, once on each of Mega Satan's forms).

E: Oh, and the Dead Cat so I could try over and over. :v:

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 23, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

TopHatGenius posted:

I don't know what it is about Keeper but it feels harder to play as him then The Lost. Almost always I get amazingly lovely items or a billion Health Ups and Devil Room with 2+ heart items. :rant:

The keeper is WAY harder to play as than The Lost, I feel. It all comes down to the fact that after a few devil deal rooms you're likely to pick up some decent poo poo. Plus flying over objects and spectral tears is way better than a super slow tripple shot.

I hate the keeper so much.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Keeper would be much better if anything that increased your punch in exchange for lowering your fire rate (Polyphemus, Ipecac, Mutant Spider, etc) didn't make him completely unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

IMJack posted:

Keeper would be much better if anything that increased your punch in exchange for lowering your fire rate (Polyphemus, Ipecac, Mutant Spider, etc) didn't make him completely unusable.

Keeper would be so much better if you could gain more HP slots. That's all he needs. Being hard capped at 2 is bullshit. At least soul hearts, come the gently caress on.