Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
What about Areel Shaw the JAG officer?

Not as cool as Philippa Louvois, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nessus posted:

Was Tasha Yar the head of security or just the bridge security officer? I can't remember. Because if she wasn't then it didn't really get solved until DS9, and even then Kira is obviously not Starfleet. From there, Janeway.
She was head of security.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kin posted:

Was there ever a Trek story where the current cast 'caught up' to an older generation of traveller moving at a slower speed due to their limited technology when they left Earth?

It seems familiar but i don't know if it's from Trek or not.
One of David Gerrold's early story pitches had the Enterprise catching up with a generation ship where the crew had forgotten their mission and even that they were on a spaceship, splitting into two warring tribes with one elite group controlling the bridge and the downtrodden lower-deck workers the engines. Neither could get anywhere until Kirk forced them to cooperate.

I suppose 'For The World Is Hollow...' used a similar premise and 'The Cloud Minders' (which Gerrold worked on, but basically disowned after it was rewritten by someone else) took the idea of elite vs workers. It's far from unique, though, as Space: 1999 did something much the same ('Mission of the Darians') a few years later. Or maybe they read Gerrold's book and pinched the idea, who knows?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/4u3mq6/remember_the_groundbreaking_black_woman_on_tos_no/

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about her. It's a shame she's in such an awful episode because I think I've only watched The Alternative Factor once, years ago, and have almost entirely blocked it out.

Apollodorus posted:

What about Areel Shaw the JAG officer?

Shaw was pretty good, at least as far as I remember. That's another episode I haven't seen in ages (but would actually be happy to rewatch).

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I'm two minutes thirty into TNGs Fear of a Black Planet episode, and Tasha has immediately - and needlessly - assaulted a visiting dignitary that has valuable medicine they need. Deanna later advises Picard not to apologise, but for a couple minutes he's just chill like, yes this is all going very well.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 14, 2016

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Isn't there a female security officer in the landing party in "A Taste of Armageddon"?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rhyno posted:

Not even close. There's no temple, not meters that measure how much of a mutant inhuman you are.

The temples are comic book conventions and the meters are collections of merchandise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

I imagine a lot of it is that Trek didn't really build heavily around the effects in a way that Star Wars did; there's also a shitload more Star Trek than Star Wars. Like I think TAS is as long as the first six Star Wars movies combined, and that's the shortest, cheesiest run

Star Trek was also produced ten years earlier than Star Wars, and had to pump out an episode every week. That's not a lot of time to do optical special effects in, and in fact TOS contracted with five different effects houses in order to get the enormous amount of work done. Given the schedule constraints, Star Trek is probably the best-looking show that could have been achieved in 1966.

Nessus posted:

Was Tasha Yar the head of security or just the bridge security officer? I can't remember. Because if she wasn't then it didn't really get solved until DS9, and even then Kira is obviously not Starfleet. From there, Janeway.

She was head of security.

Angry Salami posted:

Isn't there a female security officer in the landing party in "A Taste of Armageddon"?

She's got a red skirt, but she was toting a tricorder. I'm not sure she's security, although she gets tasked with guarding a prisoner later.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My favorite bit of original series YOU FOOLISH WOMAN-sexism is in Who Mourns for Adonis, where Lt. Palamas is willing to submit the entire Enterprise crew to slavery because Apollo is v buff and handsome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

And it's pretty blatant from the other side of the coin. In The Enemy Within Kirk just stops being a good, decisive commander when his rapey dark half is prowling the ship and Spock gives this speech about "don't you see a man can't be powerful and in command without that angry rapey side powering them"

Spock to Rand at the end of the episode: "The, uh, imposter had some interesting qualities, wouldn't you say, yeoman?"

Jesus, Spock.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

Again, Twilight Zone had very good roles for women and very little of the unexamined paternalism and leering objectification TOS had, despite being from the same era (slightly earlier, actually), belonging to the same genre, and frequently being set in the present. TOS had an unusual license to depict a future where women's place in society had changed, but instead chose to spend most of its time wallowing in mini-skirted WAC fantasies, brassy working girl cliches, and dated "space princess" exoticism. Change a few lines here and there (and lengthen the skirts a little) and most of the female roles would mesh perfectly into war/adventure serials from 20 or even 30 years earlier.

It's wrong to call it a product of its time. If anything, it was a throwback to a previous era masquerading as a vision of the future.

Duckbag posted:

I love the ghost hitchhiker episode. The main character is complex and relatable and the actress did a fantastic job.

As for any unfortunate implications, I'm fairly sure they were unintentional.

One of my favorite Twilight Zone moments comes a little later in the series when Serling starts his monologue by admitting that it's been suggested that he's not that good at writing female characters, and then introduces the female writer for that episode who he hopes will redeem his reputation. I really wish that Roddenberry had been capable of that level of humility and self-reflection at basically any point in his career.

I've posted about this in the Doctor Who thread, but Twilight Zone was very unusual as a TV show. Partly because of its access to major movie studio resources, but also that it came out of both the "TV Playhouse"-type anthologies Serling had previously worked on and the very active print sci-fi scene, which had women and minority authors and some progressive viewpoints (if you knew where to look).

Or, let me put it this way - the author of the definitive book on the Twilight Zone, including the histories of the stories they adapted, also wrote Far Beyond the Stars.

TOS, on the other hand, came out of the TV studio system, and all the Man's Man standards that came with it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Tears In A Vial posted:

I'm two minutes thirty into TNGs Fear of a Black Planet episode, and Tasha has immediately - and needlessly - assaulted a visiting dignitary that has valuable medicine they need. Deanna later advises Picard not to apologise, but for a couple minutes he's just chill like, yes this is all going very well.

One thing that a lot of people like to point out about this episode is that one of the writers would later go on to write a very similar episode for Stargate SG-1 called "Emancipation." The main difference being that instead of a planet full of black people, it's Mongolians.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

One thing that a lot of people like to point out about this episode is that one of the writers would later go on to write a very similar episode for Stargate SG-1 called "Emancipation." The main difference being that instead of a planet full of black people, it's Mongolians.

Yeah she was a hack

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah the writer was awful, however the script apparently didn't state that they were black tribals, from colonial era postcards African inspired. That was the decision of the casting guy. It'd still be a terrible episode though even if the planet was diverse or full of white people with lumpy foreheads and I don't think she has the same excuse for the stargate episode.

You should read the casts reactions in the Memory Alpha article its refreshing to see that even at the time they recognise how awful it was.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think Code of Honor is a serious contender for worst Star Trek episode ever made. Spock's Brain and Threshold are notorious, but that one is some next level poo poo. Those two might not even be in the top 10.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's the worst in terms of offensiveness but The Alternative Factor is the worst written episode of Trek. The pacing is just so awful. It's got about 10 minutes of plot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cenotaph posted:

It's the worst in terms of offensiveness but The Alternative Factor is the worst written episode of Trek. The pacing is just so awful. It's got about 10 minutes of plot.

Assignment Earth.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

cenotaph posted:

The Paradise Syndrome

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I find Miri pretty goddamned unwatchable, but maybe not quite as terrible as these other examples.

Voyager gets much worse than Threshold. Retrospect is offensive as poo poo, Spirit Folk is completely irredeemable, and Alice is just loving baffling.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Delsaber posted:

I find Miri pretty goddamned unwatchable, but maybe not quite as terrible as these other examples.

Voyager gets much worse than Threshold. Retrospect is offensive as poo poo, Spirit Folk is completely irredeemable, and Alice is just loving baffling.

Tattoo is also pretty bad, even more so once you know about the Jamake Highwater poo poo.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Watched Fury last night. As bad as Trek old people make up can be, they did pretty well with Is Me a. She looked pretty much like crazy, juiced up, flashing Jennifer Lien of mugshot fame.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Assignment Earth.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Tattoo is also pretty bad, even more so once you know about the Jamake Highwater poo poo.

Do these episodes have shots of a man holding his head for what seems like five minutes at a time? No.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Discovery has been delayed from January to May 2017.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Timby posted:

Good, more time to make it not garbage.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Timby posted:

I was hoping that would be the case. We waited four years between ENT and ST, we can wait another four months.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Just in time for May the 4th! :haw:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Timby posted:

Is it as weird as I think it is that there has been literally no casting news yet?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zurui posted:

Is it as weird as I think it is that there has been literally no casting news yet?

There was a recent interview with Bryan Fuller by Ain't It Cool News (which still exists?), where he said they'd announce casting in October. It sort of sounds like they have people tentatively signed up but they might have scheduling conflicts.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 14, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been listening to a Trek podcast and they brought up the Engineer Argyle and his attempt to become a main character. I got curious and googled the actors name Biff Yeagor and he's done surprisingly well. He's not famous but he's had steady work from 1974 to the present day.

He's aged well too

What do you think guys, maybe we should start a writing campaign to get Yeager cast on Discovery? Fuller looks like he could use some tips.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

I'm not exactly shocked to hear this considering they seem to be only doing early pre-production stuff and there's no cast.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

I've been listening to a Trek podcast and they brought up the Engineer Argyle and his attempt to become a main character. I got curious and googled the actors name Biff Yeagor and he's done surprisingly well. He's not famous but he's had steady work from 1974 to the present day.

He's aged well too

What do you think guys, maybe we should start a writing campaign to get Yeager cast on Discovery? Fuller looks like he could use some tips.

I liked it when he was chatting poo poo to Kosinski's face in Where No-One Has Gone Before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I give it two months before Fuller announces he's leaving the project and 3 months before CBS announces it'll instead be a one-off 8-part miniseries.

What a shitshow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nobody has been cast yet because the show is simply too dangerous. Live explosives and frayed electrical wires laying around and puddles of water and high powered lasers and enormous Tesla coils and circular saws and trap doors.

It's not up to SAG snuff and it never will be.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonz posted:

Nobody has been cast yet because the show is simply too dangerous. Live explosives and frayed electrical wires laying around and puddles of water and high powered lasers and enormous Tesla coils and circular saws and trap doors.

It's not up to SAG snuff and it never will be.

Sounds like Starfleet engineering to me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sounds like Starfleet engineering to me.

Fuller & Co. wanted more practical effects for the show, so they made sure that the consoles were filled to the brim with actual molten slag and rocks.

It's like goddamn Chinese New Year on the set of this show, allegedly. One stagehand already fell through a trap door on the bridge into a pit of boa constrictors and albino pythons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Good, more time to make it not garbage.

"Uh, yeah... turns out we can't shoot the whole thing on a handful of gopros and some foamcore sets without looking worse than most fan productions. We need a few months."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now I want there to be a picture of them shooting the show and the camera man is just some stagehand staring at his phone while holding up a go pro.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Wait that wasn't an episode poking fun at TNG??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Now I want there to be a picture of them shooting the show and the camera man is just some stagehand staring at his phone while holding up a go pro.

I enjoyed Hardcore Henry