Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Vaal cyclone will pull monkeys out of trees, the animation isn't there and they just float down in a standing pose.

Vasudus posted:

Depending on your build, you can pull up to 250m XP/hour and go from 65-ish to 75-ish in like two hours.
The highest I've ever seen in-game was 90m/h :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

Vaal cyclone will pull monkeys out of trees, the animation isn't there and they just float down in a standing pose.

The highest I've ever seen in-game was 90m/h :saddowns:

I think I topped 350m/hr on the tooltip with my wander in an untainted last league.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Zephro posted:

One thing I've wondered is how you get enough alchs / chaos / regals to make this all work. I've seen two regals total on my way to 75. Do you just have to do a lot of currency trading? Do you go through periods when you just run out? Can you plausibly net an alch, a regal and a vaal from a single high-tier map?

Starting off you can get some chaos from the chaos recipe (assuming you don't get any lucky drops).

After that, I just buy alchs in bulk with all the sweet currency earned from selling drops.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What happens with the league characters when the league ends? Does everything you've collected in a League gets transferred into the "normal" game?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NightfallGemini posted:

So after trying a flameblast totem Inquisitor, a lacerate Juggy and a BVer I'm looking to try out a warchief totem build, but since there's roughly a billion and one I'm having trouble deciding. Is there any clear cut best build for that skill?

Facebreaker with a shield.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ImsaKidd posted:

Starting off you can get some chaos from the chaos recipe (assuming you don't get any lucky drops).

After that, I just buy alchs in bulk with all the sweet currency earned from selling drops.

Lol I wouldn't know if something is worth selling. I'm tired of picking up most rares I see too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

What happens with the league characters when the league ends? Does everything you've collected in a League gets transferred into the "normal" game?

Essence softcore characters get moved to standard. Essence hardcore characters that are alive at the time of league transition are moved to Hardcore standard. Hideouts transition to standard on the patch that brings the newest leagues live.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol I wouldn't know if something is worth selling. I'm tired of picking up most rares I see too.
I've been doing the unid'd one (full set of unidentified rares for 2c) because it quickly devolves into "get 2 rings and an amulet" and requires zero thought. No pricing, no looking at affixes, just have a stash tab with armor waiting for the 3 jewelry slots to drop. The hardest part is the faith that every drop is <2c, which a few ID's will quickly reassure.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You can also do the 1c recipe by picking up white jewelry and tossing useless essences on them. I do sometimes but :effort:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

StashAugustine posted:

You can also do the 1c recipe by picking up white jewelry and tossing useless essences on them. I do sometimes but :effort:

Oh poo poo, didn't even think about that. I don't like spending Alchs to complete the Chaos recipe (will do it for Regal though), but I have a bunch of lovely Essences sitting in a tab right now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've also been essencing twostones to combine into prismatics but for some reason I have like a dozen fire/lightning and no cold/lightning

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I do the Prismatic recipe too, but last league it felt like I got fire/lightning and cold/lightning at 10x the rate of fire/cold, which was quite annoying.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A few days ago I looked at my unid stash and thought 'I bet you if I ID all the two stones, diamonds and moonstones I'll make some chaos' so I pulled them and ID. Out of two dozen not a single one was sellable. I don't bother anymore - I'm willing to miss out on a potential good ring or amulet this league.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

A few days ago I looked at my unid stash and thought 'I bet you if I ID all the two stones, diamonds and moonstones I'll make some chaos' so I pulled them and ID. Out of two dozen not a single one was sellable. I don't bother anymore - I'm willing to miss out on a potential good ring or amulet this league.

Same, I don't ever Id rares anymore really, you get more money by just doing unid chaos recipe.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NightfallGemini posted:

So after trying a flameblast totem Inquisitor, a lacerate Juggy and a BVer I'm looking to try out a warchief totem build, but since there's roughly a billion and one I'm having trouble deciding. Is there any clear cut best build for that skill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhksmt5FQU0

ignore the bleed shenanigans (so you can do like 2 5Ls) because voidheart got nerfed, pure dps is enough tho

oh also get movement speed on the boots, ghudda is weird like that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So how do youguys who don't ID rares anymore get upgrades? Wait for uniques? Just buy what you want?

Seems like an odd way to do things to me, picking up every single rare just to stash for the sake of the chaos recipe. Doesn't that waste a lot of time traveling and playing inventory tetris?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I keep a stash tab with 2 sets that I fill up. So don't bother storing dupe boots/gloves/etc

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

So how do youguys who don't ID rares anymore get upgrades? Wait for uniques? Just buy what you want?

Seems like an odd way to do things to me, picking up every single rare just to stash for the sake of the chaos recipe. Doesn't that waste a lot of time traveling and playing inventory tetris?

Use all the chaos I got from doing the recipe to buy stuff I need. I can't say I've ever gotten a useful endgame rare to drop. I don't pick up everything, just jewelry and belts. When I get a full set of those I grab the rest next map.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

That's the the part that doesn't happen. The bottleneck in the Chaos/Regal recipe is in the jewelry (belt, rings, amulet). When you finally get enough of those to start a set, then kill a mob or two and get the rest of the rares needed to finish the recipe.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I loot rings and amulets immediately, along with things like Vaal regalias which I ID immediately. When I get enough rings/amulets to turn in a bunch of recipes, I go Hoover mode and loot everything I can use. Then I turn in 10-12 sets of gear.

I get the bulk of my currency doing this and vendoring 6S items for jewelers, which I convert into fusings to sell for chaos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the advice, guess I'll start doing that. Better than picking up pieces I can actually equip, IDing them and selling them for scraps of alteration or whatever.

dis astranagant posted:

Use all the chaos I got from doing the recipe to buy stuff I need. I can't say I've ever gotten a useful endgame rare to drop. I don't pick up everything, just jewelry and belts. When I get a full set of those I grab the rest next map.

This is the part of the game I was kind of afraid of when I started playing, I didn't like the D3 AH for the same reason (the gold one I mean, the RMAH was its own bag of poo poo). I like finding cool items, not saving up for upgrades :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You can still do that with lots of builds. This is my character and I've only bought the body armour and helmet. Essences have helped a lot: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/fmammal/characters

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

IDing rares is still good to do, just make sure you have an item filter that lets you ignore rares of lower-level base types, and highlights ones that are high enough item level to have T1 affixes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Counterpoint, most of my tiny wealth this league came from finding a few good rares, which I used on one of my chars initially and then sold for 0.5-3 ex a piece. Only way I could afford to set up my mjolner dude. I haven't really had any great uniques drop this league, and I haven't found much in the way of raw currency, but those few rares dwarfed whatever I made doing vendor recipes so far.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I pick only high ilvl/high base item lvl rares. They have a potential to be good, while lower tier items are pretty much guaranteed to be a waste of time. So vaal regalias and sorc boots all the time.

I don't bother with weapons since I don't know what sells, and most of my weapon drops seem to be Tenderizers anyways...

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Zephro posted:

One thing I've wondered is how you get enough alchs / chaos / regals to make this all work. I've seen two regals total on my way to 75. Do you just have to do a lot of currency trading? Do you go through periods when you just run out? Can you plausibly net an alch, a regal and a vaal from a single high-tier map?

Chaos recipe / UnID'd Chaos Recipe and at 75, Regal Recipe / UnID'd Regal Recipe (one rare of each slot)

That gets you the Chaos and Regals, and you can use that to buy alchs/vaals if necessary. I've found a total of 1 Exalt, and even after buying gear, buying regals, buying coins (multiple times), I still have almost 80 chaos from other drops, chaos recipe, and selling things (mostly for low-chaos amounts), including prophecies.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Moddington posted:

IDing rares is still good to do, just make sure you have an item filter that lets you ignore rares of lower-level base types, and highlights ones that are high enough item level to have T1 affixes.

I need to figure out how to do this. I'll admit I don't know how to successfully tell if poo poo is good or not, I had something in my chaos recipe tab last night (250ish ES helmet, 2 30+% resists) that someone offered 5c on. I would have vendored it. :p

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Long shot- I probably won't have any real time for this league until mid/late October, but I'm still able to squeeze in an hour or two on the weekends. I don't mind my lack of movement speed or mana regen or other untwinked problems, but the lack of a white t-shirt kills me.

Would anyone want to sell me a Tabula in Essence Softcore for like 20c in Standard or like rent to own it (I can give you two whole chaos now!)?

edit: nevermind! didn't realize this was against the rules!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 14, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i made about a combined 50c getting a rat's nest, and also getting a good regal. then promptly spent it all on rumi's

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

devilmouse posted:

Would anyone want to sell me a Tabula in Essence Softcore for like 20c in Standard

P sure that's a good way to lose an account.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there some rule against cross league trading or are you just worried they will think its rmt

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I've found 4 exalts this league. You should try finding exalts. Okay god bless.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

dis astranagant posted:

P sure that's a good way to lose an account.

Huh, apparently you can trade standard softcore <-> standard hardcore or league softcore <-> league hardcore, but not between standard softcore <-> league softcore.

The more you know, nevermind!

J
Jun 10, 2001

There's another school of thought regarding what you pick up that skips the chaos recipe entirely and just focuses on going as fast as possible. Only pick up jewelry, belts, top tier bases for whatever builds are FOTM that league, and 6 socket items. Roll a bunch of maps at a time and try to minimize the time spent on inventory tetris in between maps. If you can't evaluate and price items quickly, throw them in a stash tab and price them later and get into the next map.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
About how long do these essence leagues last? And how much time passes between each new major league? Or has it not been consistent?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

leagues seem to usually be around 3 months with like 2 weeks in between

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

StashAugustine posted:

While I was leveling I saw groups with someone trolling for "any 12 essences for 1c" and figured they were using 10 for 1c, 2 for profit, but even wrangling that many white items seems like too much of a chore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Btw what should I do with sextants?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
most my exalts I got through trading rares but it took a lot of memorization just to be able to say 'this rare is poo poo' vs 'this rare is epic'. and i still got it wrong when i called an unset ring with good rolls vaal fodder cause of the base - apparently SRS builds like unset rings for the socket. god bless

• Locked thread