Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

current mission is to cut elfball lands to 75 cards with 3x eldritch evolution, maindeck taiga, 2x trop, Leovold, Magus of the moon, KoTR, Titania.

This sounds amazing, do you have a list posted somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

L0cke17 posted:

This sounds amazing, do you have a list posted somewhere?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/elfball-legendslands/ is the current 90 card behemoth.

The theory is that EE lets us keep our tutor density as high at 90 cards as it was at 60 with 8 tutors. Having access to Knight and the lands package gives us some good hate which doesn't fold to the typical things people bring in against Elves. I haven't played it enough to be convinced it's good, but it's an incredibly fun deck to pilot, often leading to games where you feel like you've badgered your opponent into playing Commander with you.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 14, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

How many Rhinos in Junk? I'm running 23 land + 3 Hierarchs. I've got 3 in the list right now.

I have 4 but that's partially due to not having the more expensive creature options. FWIW on my bad Junk outing a couple weeks ago my only win was from slamming back-to-back Rhinos against Jund.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

On Abzan chat, how necessary are the Noble Hierarchs?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Mef989 posted:

On Abzan chat, how necessary are the Noble Hierarchs?

They aren't in older builds. Now that decks are more linear, powering out a Liliana/Anafenza/Lingering Souls turn 2 is pretty good. Also it lets your Goyfs win in combat and your Rhinos trample for more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mef989 posted:

I've been liking 3 Rhinos and 1 Kalitas. Im still on 24 land and 0 nobles though.

Kalitas seems terrible in Abzan. I'm mixed on Noble. I hate putting another bad lategame topdeck in the deck but it's so good if you have it early...

Here is my list for reference: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=107366

ThePeavstenator posted:

They aren't in older builds. Now that decks are more linear, powering out a Liliana/Anafenza/Lingering Souls turn 2 is pretty good. Also it lets your Goyfs win in combat and your Rhinos trample for more.

I don't think you need Anafenza anymore. Seems like Dredge has been hated out of alot of metas.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 15, 2016

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Kalitas seems terrible in Abzan. I'm mixed on Noble. I hate putting another bad lategame topdeck in the deck but it's so good if you have it early...

Here is my list for reference: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=107366

He's been OK but I really don't play enough anymore to have tested him too much. I can see dropping him for a 3rd scooze or tasigur. I might try picking up nobles to try but I missed grabbing them when they were down to $35

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mef989 posted:

He's been OK but I really don't play enough anymore to have tested him too much. I can see dropping him for a 3rd scooze or tasigur. I might try picking up nobles to try but I missed grabbing them when they were down to $35

Tasigur is bad with Goyf. I don't think you want it unless you're playing the grim flayer version.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Tasigur is bad with Goyf. I don't think you want it unless you're playing the grim flayer version.

My creatures right now are 3 Flayer, 2 Scooze, 4 Goyf, 3 Rhino 1 Kalitas. I just put the Flayers in though so I haven't really gotten to play more than a game with them yet, but since they definitely seems like they can fill your yard pretty well I should be able to get away with the singleton tasigur.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 15, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So what's the mana base look like in Modern Naya Burn without Arid Mesas and Scalding Tarns? Does the deck work with the Khans fetches that are much more affordable?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Soul Glo posted:

So what's the mana base look like in Modern Naya Burn without Arid Mesas and Scalding Tarns? Does the deck work with the Khans fetches that are much more affordable?

Naya Burn doesn't need Tarns, just Mesas.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Works just fine with Khans fetches, if you want to play in a big tournament you'll probably want to borrow the other 4 fetches though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think Burn really cares which fetches it plays as long as they can fetch mountains. Heath seems like a fairly minor loss of percent as well; not being able to fetch basic mountain is a thing, but it's not the end of the world.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Mountain is the only basic in the deck so as long as it's a red fetch it doesn't matter.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Mountain is the only basic in the deck so as long as it's a red fetch it doesn't matter.

Problem is that without Arid Mesa you only have one set of those.

But yeah, if there's one deck that can probably get away with paying extra life to budget fetches, I can't imagine a better candidate than Burn.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neat, I already have playsets of Wooded Foothills and Bloodstained Mire, plus Atarka's Command.

I already have Mono Red Burn, including Guides. Just looking at a list on CFB, I'm not missing a whole lot to turn it into the Naya flavor. Looks like the most expensive parts for me would be the dual lands, and it doesn't seem to need full playsets of 'em.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Problem is that without Arid Mesa you only have one set of those.

But yeah, if there's one deck that can probably get away with paying extra life to budget fetches, I can't imagine a better candidate than Burn.

You get mires and Foothills, so 8 fetches total. Depending on how many grim lavamancer and searing blaze you are running, it's not a huge detriment to only have 2 sets of fetches. You're right though, burn can spare some tweaks to the manabase. Do people still play copperline gorge?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I still think Burn can get away with a couple of Heaths. Obviously they're not as good as a red fetch but they still get you all your colors. Would not run any other nonred fetch, though.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I did that when I had Naya burn built. My fetches were all Khan's: 4 foothills, 4 mire, 2 Heath. They can only get your shock lands, but while it made fetching occasionally awkward, it was never a game breaker.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Do people still play copperline gorge?

IIRC nacatl burn does this while nacatl-less builds don't

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mef989 posted:

I did that when I had Naya burn built. My fetches were all Khan's: 4 foothills, 4 mire, 2 Heath. They can only get your shock lands, but while it made fetching occasionally awkward, it was never a game breaker.

What'd the rest of your lands look like? This is what I'm referencing; Pascal just has 2-of Mountain, Sacred Foundry, Copperline Gorge and Stomping Ground. Brandon Burton's GP list drops a Mesa for a third Foundry, what'd you run with just the two Windswept Heath?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

What'd the rest of your lands look like? This is what I'm referencing; Pascal just has 2-of Mountain, Sacred Foundry, Copperline Gorge and Stomping Ground. Brandon Burton's GP list drops a Mesa for a third Foundry, what'd you run with just the two Windswept Heath?

I was at 20 lands total. I think I ran those 10 fetches, 3 sacred foundry, 3 stomping grounds, and 4 mountains. That's why the heaths never hurt too bad since I was usually fetching for a shock land anyway and didn't even see them a lot of the time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So the new 3 mana bw1 adviser hatebear looks super sweet for vintage. The more recent sets have really been hitting it out of the park with disruptive dudes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Soul Glo posted:

I ran 19 lands with 4 foothills, 4 mires, 2 mesas, 2 foundries, 2 stomping grounds, 1 cinder glade, 4 mountains.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I ran 19 lands with 4 foothills, 4 mires, 2 mesas, 2 foundries, 2 stomping grounds, 1 cinder glade, 4 mountains.

Cinder glade seems kinda bad, you want all your lands to come into play untapped in the first 2-3 turns. Copperline gorge or even another stomping ground seems better imo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cinder glade seems kinda bad, you want all your lands to come into play untapped in the first 2-3 turns. Copperline gorge or even another stomping ground seems better imo.

Yeah I sorta like stuffing 1-of BFZ Duals into decks for the value but I really cannot imagine a situation where Burn has two basics on the battlefield and still needs another untapped land to do everything it wants to do that turn.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Cinder Glade is totally awesome in Titan Breach and I cannot the battle lands are good in any other deck that isn't counting numbers of a basic land, and Emeria the Sky Ruin just isn't that good.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Heck yeah, Yacht is getting longer

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I used it as a fetchable non pain dual. Worked good turn 3-4 against aggro decks. I rarely drew it.

also we have 2 jackasses running land destruction and surgical as a deck. So not losing all my green to a ghost quarter surgical was a thing.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 20, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13511&d=279459&f=MO

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

How does Brain in a Jar interact with the fuse cards? Can you seriously do both Beck and Call at 2 counters?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently you can because Fuse technically isn't an alternate cost, just a choice you can make.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It can also only be done from your hand.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Brain in a Jar does cast the card from your hand though, so it absolutely does let you fuse.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rollie the Guar posted:

Brain in a Jar does cast the card from your hand though, so it absolutely does let you fuse.

:psyboom:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable outside of cards like Squelch)?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable out of cards like Squelch)?

You still cast the spell.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Um, so it's just the Gifts combo with Brain in a Jar letting you cast stuff for cheaper (and uncounterable outside of cards like Squelch)?

paying 1 mana and tapping an artifact to put 4 1/1 fliers into play and drawing four cards seems like, if i may borrow a phrase, gas

e: also lets you cast sorceries at instant speed, which is particularly interesting with supreme verdict and opponent man-lands

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

paying 1 mana and tapping an artifact to put 4 1/1 fliers into play and drawing four cards seems like, if i may borrow a phrase, gas

e: also lets you cast sorceries at instant speed, which is particularly interesting with supreme verdict and opponent man-lands

Don't get me wrong, I was just making sure it still wins the way Gifts decks usually do. Looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

C-Euro posted:

Don't get me wrong, I was just making sure it still wins the way Gifts decks usually do. Looks like fun.

Yeah I'm going to have to put is together and play it.