Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Non Serviam posted:

I'm looking at the things backed by the SUPERBACKERS who are complaining. It's a treasure trove of bad ideas.
For example,

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/545971165

This person is currently backing 14 (!) different doodads that are still in the funding phase. They've backed one tchotchke a week for five years straight. That's impressive in its own sad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MrMenshevik posted:

This person is currently backing 14 (!) different doodads that are still in the funding phase. They've backed one tchotchke a week for five years straight. That's impressive in its own sad way.

Wait, can "backing" be like $1?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wait, can "backing" be like $1?

Yep

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

e: wrong thread mods please delete

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jedit posted:

I'll give you a clue - they did.

Yeah. They might have been short and just wanted to play for time by shipping empty envelopes. Wasteful and dumb as gently caress, but this is Kickstarter were talking about so I repeat myself.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Courtesy of Facebook, here's the next dumb piece of technology to part idiots of their money:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280803647/muzo-your-personal-zone-creator-with-noise-blockin/description

But of course it has already been over-funded! The videos are the best though - the Muzo will encase you in a Star Wars force field, cancelling all noise ever.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Courtesy of Facebook, here's the next dumb piece of technology to part idiots of their money:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280803647/muzo-your-personal-zone-creator-with-noise-blockin/description

But of course it has already been over-funded! The videos are the best though - the Muzo will encase you in a Star Wars force field, cancelling all noise ever.

aaannnd of course they have the 'wall of press, half of whom we've never heard of'

gently caress it i'm gonna start working on my own slick pitch for a mystery product, and my press wall will be 10 times as large just you wait :mad:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

lorn Wayne posted:

aaannnd of course they have the 'wall of press, half of whom we've never heard of'

gently caress it i'm gonna start working on my own slick pitch for a mystery product, and my press wall will be 10 times as large just you wait :mad:

The Gizmodo mention is actually Gizmodo japan. And it amounts to, "this is a kickstarter that exists, yes indeed."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not reading fifty pages of technobabble. How the hell is this thing supposed to work?

E: also, lol at Backerkit as press. They should add Something Awful now, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

I'm not reading fifty pages of technobabble. How the hell is this thing supposed to work?

Probably like noise cancelling headphones, but those only work because they’re headphones. The moment you move your head a fraction of a millimetre (or try to make it work on two people simultaneously), it would stop working.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
zdnet is also japan. It seems like american sites are tired of the humiliation of writing articles for items that will never actually be manufactured, so they have to go to foreign websites to fill in that sweet sweet press wall.

e: and GQ. It's literally all japanese press.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't followed this thread much but just clicked through some links and saw this
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antsylabs/fidget-cube-a-vinyl-desk-toy?ref=profile_backed

$14M backed for a desk toy? idgi are all people idiots on there?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

I haven't followed this thread much but just clicked through some links and saw this
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antsylabs/fidget-cube-a-vinyl-desk-toy?ref=profile_backed

"An unusually addicting, high-quality desk toy designed to help you focus. Fidget at work, in class, and at home in style."

Isn't fidgeting with a toy literally the opposite of focusing?

Two of the people I sit next to at work were on about buying these things and I may have to find a new job if they sit there clicking that poo poo all day.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

the whole angel that fidgeting is like retarded lite and that this is the solution made for u my special boy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Germstore posted:

zdnet is also japan. It seems like american sites are tired of the humiliation of writing articles for items that will never actually be manufactured, so they have to go to foreign websites to fill in that sweet sweet press wall.

e: and GQ. It's literally all japanese press.

There's also a Czech android website and some Italian half-dead tech blog.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quote-Unquote posted:

Two of the people I sit next to at work were on about buying these things and I may have to find a new job if they sit there clicking that poo poo all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09knP1SAyA&t=115s

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Sep 20, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Even if you assumed this technology worked like in that gif, why would you assume it always captures you and a partner sitting at a table and no one else AND no one is excluded in your party with a single click? I mean, dont these people ask themselves any questions whatsoever

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

It's genius is what it is, preying on office worker morons with cash to spare.

e: only way it can get better is if it somehow targeted the silicon valley set (see: soylent)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lorn Wayne posted:

It's genius is what it is, preying on office worker morons with cash to spare.

I mean its beyond Doobie levels of poo poo. They asked for 15k, and people kept/keep giving. Its got to be something shady.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darth123123 posted:

I mean its beyond Doobie levels of poo poo. They asked for 15k, and people kept/keep giving. Its got to be something shady.

There's nothing shady about it, it's one of the most straightforward "preorder this thing we can make real cheap" projects there's ever been. The $15k goal was probably just the lowest amount they could spend to get manufacturing discounts.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

fishmech posted:

There's nothing shady about it, it's one of the most straightforward "preorder this thing we can make real cheap" projects there's ever been. The $15k goal was probably just the lowest amount they could spend to get manufacturing discounts.

So are they buying rims or hood vents with the excess? I'm the guy that pitches in $25 today to a $14M pile of trash.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Darth123123 posted:

So are they buying rims or hood vents with the excess? I'm the guy that pitches in $25 today to a $14M pile of trash.

Like seriously this isn't a kickstarter to set up a business or something, it's straight up "pay us money for this thing and you get the thing and we get a profit". The guy who's pitching in $25 is getting the dumb cube they would sell for $25 anyway. If you're the kind of person who wants the dumb cube, why would you not want it anymore just because they've already got $2 million?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

Like seriously this isn't a kickstarter to set up a business or something, it's straight up "pay us money for this thing and you get the thing and we get a profit". The guy who's pitching in $25 is getting the dumb cube they would sell for $25 anyway. If you're the kind of person who wants the dumb cube, why would you not want it anymore just because they've already got $2 million?

Because after asking for just 15k and receiving millions in donations (still with 29 days to go), they're probably going to run into problems with fulfiling the quantity of orders in time or even with a minor delay.

doing a quick count on the reward tiers (accounting for the ones offering multiple dumb cubes) and the rewards themselves are about 260,000 fidget boxes. great if they somehow pull it out the bag and leave 10s of thousands of backers satisified, but um i personally don't see it going smoothly :shrug:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lorn Wayne posted:

Because after asking for just 15k and receiving millions in donations (still with 29 days to go), they're probably going to run into problems with fulfiling the quantity of orders in time or even with a minor delay.

doing a quick count on the reward tiers (accounting for the ones offering multiple dumb cubes) and the rewards themselves are about 260,000 fidget boxes. great if they somehow pull it out the bag and leave 10s of thousands of backers satisified, but um i personally don't see it going smoothly :shrug:

Youre going into this too deep

Think like a kickstarter backer, like a member of a backer club,

The only question you have to ask is:

Do you want worthless item:
Yes - pledge
No - dont

Dont you dare ask any questions like "can this even exist" or "will it actually exist ever". That's not what kickstarter is for.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
For example

I just backed this water breather device because I want to breathe underwater.

See? gently caress questions. I want to breathe underwater, drat it

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Madcosby posted:

For example

I just backed this water breather device because I want to breathe underwater.

See? gently caress questions. I want to breathe underwater, drat it

my bad, start a kickstarter and take all my money please.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Make a Kickstarter for a device/app that warns you if you're about to pledge for a scummy Kickstarter. Any time you try to pledge for something it'll start sounding the alarm.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

the difference here is that the cube toy actually can and probably will exist

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Darth123123 posted:

hahaha this is amazing

I wish I was born without any kind of moral compass

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The success of that clicker toy means there will be ( or is happening now )a wave of clicker toys.

Quick, someone make one with eight sides! and a bluetooth functionality/phone app that keeps track of what side you play with the most. Challenge your friends on the leaderboards!

oh and add a keychain to it

edit: by "make one" and "add to it" i mean just make a prototype and a pitch video, kickstarter will handle the rest
edit: one side should be a moral compass

Madcosby has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Sep 20, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Make a clicker shaped like a cookie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's no good kickstarter thread so I'm going to put this good kickstarter here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brandonbird/the-jerry-orbach-memorial-art-car

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I should make a moral compass app. I dont have compunctions about taking money from fools.

Ugh yes I do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I should make a moral compass app. I dont have compunctions about taking money from fools.

Ugh yes I do.

You don't have to use your own app just because you wrote it, even if the app says you do.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tippis posted:

You don't have to use your own app just because you wrote it, even if the app says you do.

I feel like this is one of those tricky ones in formal logic that evaluates to FALSE.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's no good kickstarter thread so I'm going to put this good kickstarter here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brandonbird/the-jerry-orbach-memorial-art-car

quote:

I made a "Law & Order" coloring book, which was the first thing I ever did that became a viral hit, and that has snowballed into an entire career making ridiculous pop art. I owe a lot of good things in my life to Jerry Orbach.
I'd like to get a kickstarter going to make a time machine so I can travel back and stop this guy watching Law & Order.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to kickstart the Jump to Conclusions mat from Office Space.

"What would you do if you kickstarted a million dollars?"

"Two girls at the same time."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm going to kickstart the Jump to Conclusions mat from Office Space.

"What would you do if you kickstarted a million dollars?"

"Two girls at the same time."

I can make this happen for you for less than a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lorn Wayne posted:

They're just banging together a bunch of cheap parts that don't even need to do anything. It's not something complicated like electronics or whatever. Plus if you look closely on the page they've already set things up so only early orderers could get them delivered before the end of this year, with the tiers still open having delivery claimed by March next year.

If they ship and one of the sides sticks easily or whatever they're just going to say it makes it better for fidgeting.