Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D1E posted:

Uh yeah click on the link and read it first buddy.

Derek is clowning around.

Thanks for ruining my night. I hope Derek bans you now. GoogleButt was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Iglocska posted:

It looks like Lethality accidentally while talking about enforcing rules broke a rule, so I made sure to let him know!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/53ulnp/leaks_from_a_game_developers_perspective/d7wqbch

That's kind of shocking. I figured Lethality would be a big hit over there.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/law-professor-trump-can-be-impeached-for-fraud-and-racketeering-before-he-even-takes-office/

quote:

“In the United States, it is illegal for businesses to use false statements to convince consumers to purchase their services,” Peterson wrote in a paper published Monday titled "Star Citizen and The Dream Scam". “The evidence indicates that CIG/RSI used a systemic pattern of fraudulent representations to trick thousands of Spergs into investing in a program that can be argued was a sham.”

I feel grief.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for ruining my night. I hope Derek bans you now. GoogleButt was right.

Also I'm just kidding. Don't get banned your a hero. And a good poster. And GoogleButt was wrong.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

thatguy posted:

That's kind of shocking. I figured Lethality would be a big hit over there.

And this is why I can't stand mods outside of SA, they never follow their own rules. How the gently caress is Lethality free to post 200 times a day and half the dozen posts I made last month weren't approved. And I mean, really tame poo poo as

quote:

I unironically look forward to 3.0 going Live. It's late this year, right?

quote:

There is not "a few hours" of content ingame, c'mon.

quote:

Like that but in the actual game instead of a movie.

quote:

Indeed it will be much easier to coordinate 16 people than 200.

Since both of us have -100 karma either they are moderating people by name rather than karma or they actually approve all the poo poo Lethality writes post by post.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mirificus posted:

A Socioeconomical Perspective on Grim Hex

Edited for BLUF (aka TL:DR): In the absence of a structured institutionalized government, mankind will always find itself organized in order to pursue common goals, even if loosely. Through said organization, paramount among all other aspects would be security, as without security, even if only offering a false perception of security, there would be no incentive to form a collective body (i.e. a port of Grim Hex).

The devs should look for a way to decentivize anti-social behavior around social hubs, while protecting individual rights to play and experience the game in a manner that is free and in the spirit of freedom of choice in the Universe. The OP suggests that this decentivization come in the form of harsh consequences in the form of automated NPC security guards, while still allowing the player the ability to commit such crimes in a specified vicinity (i.e. you can fire on other players, as you are able to now, but when you do so within the vicinity of Grim Hex, then pirate security guards will be alerted and attack you).

As I exited the "they've gone plaid" that is quantum travel into the Yela meteor belt, I quickly located and closed in towards the bustling pirate oasis that is Grim Hex. Touted to be the Crusader System's "Mos Eisley," Grim Hex is a (near) lawless haven of scum and villainy; just the place I'm looking for.

As I piloted my Gladius closer, a Hornet, having recently left the facility, passed by me in the opposite direction, roughly 5000 km away. A safe distance, in these parts. When I had finally arrived at my destination, strafing up over the horizon of the rock formation protecting the mining facility from outside onlookers, I quickly identified two things; first was a landing zone for me to set down my ship, and the second was another Hornet, hovering over the facility and staring right at me. I immediately halted, preparing for a fight to just enter this hollowed out rock; but the Hornet didn't move, and I slowly approached and landed without any incident. As I scurried to find the entrance, having no prior knowledge of any sort of firearm prohibition (a'la Port Olisar), I noticed that the Hornet, now moving, was still pointed directly at me, now on foot, running through the corridors to find the entrance. Finally, after an excitingly uneventful five to ten minutes; I had found, landed, and entered into Grim Hex, where weapons were not permitted to be used inside of the facility.

A few minutes later, while running around Grim Hex, I heard some shooting from ships outside, then an explosion, and noticed that my ship had been blown up.

What's the point of me telling this story?

The point is to bring some additional thought to the, presumptive, anarchist paradise that is Grim Hex, and to the vast array of follow-on sister locations where pirates and ne'er-do-wells will seek to congregate.

Most of us have seen the glorious motion picture that is Star Wars: Episode 4. The idea of a near-lawless bastion of freedom, such as Mos Eisley, appeals to many people [insert political rhetoric about small government here]. However, Grim Hex, as it stands today in the game (before you hit that "Comment" button; yes, I know; everything is subject to change; that's why I'm posting this perspective for discussion), is not realistic on the grounds of socioeconomics.

Yes, I can suspend many beliefs of astro-mining facilities being suspended with cables (or whatever they are) to asteroids in a belt around a barren moon; I follow all of that. But the economist inside of me can't suspend the belief that, at the root core, Grim Hex is a port, and ports exist for one singular reason: to make money (especially if ran by pirates).

In order for any business, inside of Grim Hex, to be successful, it must make money. In order to make money, it must have a steady flow of supply and demand (yes, this is a very simplistic argument for S&D, I'm not about to discuss the Invisible Hand of Capitalism and theories by Hayek, Adam Smith, Milton Friedman, etc in a forum about a space sim; let's just go with this for the sake of argument). Supplies must be able to freely flow into Grim Hex, and customers (demand) must be able to freely flow into, and out of, Grim Hex. If customers are unable to freely flow into the port, then the businesses will leave; when the businesses leave, then the port will cease to exist.

Let's look at this in a modern concept. All political and social joking aside, if customers were genuinely afraid of risking their lives to enter into a mall, then there would be no reason for businesses to pay the mall to have a storefront. Businesses would leave, and the mall would have to close down.

This is the same with Grim Hex. In a realistic scenario, if people were genuinely concerned that they'll be killed while trying to get into the port, then they simply won't go to said port, and the businesses within would leave. If people didn't have the ability to "magically" revive inside of Grim Hex, given their wanted level, then it's likely that, given a more severe punishment to enter and exit (as is expected in launch), they simply wouldn't go there. Therefore, in order to best maintain a port, one must properly, and securely, incentivize customers to conduct business at said port.

Furthermore, on a sociological perspective of this, it is safe to assume that Grim Hex would, in fact, not be an "anarchist paradise" (to use my earlier phrase), but would actually have its security maintained by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or by a security firm (either legitimate or illegitimate). Using the Mos Eisley example, the Hutts, a criminal mob organization, provided for most of the "goings on" and protection within the system, and there was even an agreement between the Hutts and the Empire in order to maintain security of the region.

So from a sociological perspective, mankind (and by extension, alienkind, given that they are, currently, a figment of our imaginations) will always seek to form protective societies; even if said society is thought to be an uncontrolled conglomerate of individuals.

A modern day parallel of this would be that of Somali pirates. Somalia, being a near-lawless failed state (see also, basically anarchy), provided a safehaven for pirates to join together and conduct raiding parties on civilian ships. Within these roving bands of pirates, there was still structure and organization providing for security within the "in group." Though I'm not an expert on this particular subject (my experience comes from the Middle East), I would have to imagine that it was not common for Somali pirates to murder one another as they conducted their business, or else they would be unable to work together for their collective goals.

So, too, would be the case in a galaxy far far away, one would have to conclude, based on human behavior.

My proposal, for consideration, would be to NOT implement a firearm prohibition, like the one at Port Olisar, around Grim Hex. Instead, I would argue that there would be swift and deadly punishment for anyone who breaks the implied "truce" within the area of protection by the owner/s of Grim Hex, or its security forces.

Any sort of inappropriate behavior, within a protected area, would be seen as a violation of the social code of conduct, and would, as one can imagine, result in being a "marked man," who could expect to not live very long.

Just something to consider, as we enter and exit Grim Hex at our own risk, wondering if it's worth the effort just to buy those sweet new kicks and a "Lies" t-shirt.

I too, earnest traveler, oft find myself going to such undesirable locations such as Somalia to rub elbows with literal pirates for the sole purpose of perusing their shirts and shoes collections.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jimeth posted:

I bet this guy pronounces hyperbole, "hyper-bowl".

I wish there were such a thing as a hyper-bowl, it sounds pretty cool.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

Tokamak posted:

I wish there were such a thing as a hyper-bowl, it sounds pretty cool.

New threadmeme: say satabole instead of hyperbole.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/no-mans-sky-archaeology-1.3768986

Just think, there are nerds waiting to do the exact same thing to Star Citizen's world.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
10 for the delayed Chairman is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2SBYtj9pis

e: it's dull

Quavers fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 22, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Does he say "yes" to any of the questions?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

starkebn posted:

how can they claim fidelity of simulation if not for 1st and 3rd person synched animations? Next you're going to tell me simulating the oxygen level in the bloodstream is too much effort and they should just have a oxygen meter?

I understand that each oxygen particle is an AI agent, tracked inside each character. This is how being a doctor will work in the game.

You will get addicted to morphine, but only able to hold the rubber rope around your arm for so long before the agents pile up at where you tied your arm, and clip outside your body causing your arm to blow off.

Since limb loss is coming in 3.0, right now all it does is make your arm become completely broken and stretch and stuff.

Right now CIG has computers dedicated solely to modeling how blood and air particles move in not only human bodies, but alien bodies too. It's a simulation running next to the computers running the economy simulation constantly.

It's very important both of these work in conjunction with each other, and supports the first.

By keeping the blood flowing, the money will keep rolling, and the drugs will always be there. It's CIG's critical path.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

he looks old and tired and doesn't understand teddy bear development

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

D1E posted:

it has turned into a Q&A hosted by Chris. no more bullshit 'dreams' answers. this week, the head of the character art pipeline is talking about modelling heads/faces, and player customisation. so boring poo poo, not even a cultist can love. i stopped watching after the first couple questions.

also, Chris mentioned photogrammy, the hot tech buzzword that redditors have been bringing up all week. PR has put the cuffs on him, and yet is still finding ways to to try and get the fanboys riled up.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I like these guys best. :allears:

It's that they fight, yet CIG is busy doing exactly the opposite of this, and trying to "patch in" gameplay behind tons and tons of highly polished fluff.

And I know it's been said a billion times, but how does it happen??? How can they say these things and not see how it's so wrong??

The best one is always the "you don't understand game development" because they'll say something, and then CIG will do exactly what they said is bad.

It's Chris Roberts, guys. Chris Roberts doesn't understand game development. The failure to understand game development is inside the house already.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The Titanic posted:

It's Chris Roberts, guys. Chris Roberts doesn't understand game development. The failure to understand game development is inside the house already.

Oh yeah? Well you've obviously never heard of the Wing Commander series, or a little game called Freelancer then goonie.

Chris Roberts has proven himself to be the greatest space video game designer in the history of the world and it is you who clearly does not understand game development.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Also, over $120 million pledged to date, and over 300 developers worldwide working on SC, so that's just more proof you're wrong and Chris is right.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D1E posted:

He says yes to all the questions and gets shot down once on the stupid idea of DIY facial capture rigs. One laugh in half an hour dull lies and dreams.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Quavers posted:

10 for the delayed Chairman is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2SBYtj9pis

e: it's dull

Interestingly enough you can see from the video where Sandi (Ben) got the screen shot the other day where she said "Wrinkles" or some poo poo.

Meaning the screen shot was of someone working on the video to showcase inside the video for 10FTC.... not actually making anything

Endless loops of marketing and sales tactics, not much else

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These are the next best. :allears:

"We have the most open development ever! We will show you EVERYTHING!"

*NDA's everything. Secret evocati testing*

And the backers think it's ok! I love their community! It's literally the most easy going, money filled community in gaming history I think.

Of course the sad part is the reason they are upset about these breaches. The people breaking the NDA's and evocati junk are saying the game still sucks. :(

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Also Chris Roberts admitted that the Morrow Tour you saw was the best they could do at the time.

BUT IT LOOKS GREAT NOW GUYS, SERIOUSLY!

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Also Chris Roberts admitted that the Morrow Tour you saw was the best they could do at the time.

BUT IT LOOKS GREAT NOW GUYS, SERIOUSLY!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

alphabettitouretti posted:

Jfc this guy is a weaselly little turd.

Name me one other game as open as star citizen!

*is given several examples*

Nuh uh they aren't in the same genre and I never heard of half of them so it doesn't count. Name me one other game called star citizen made by someone called Chris Roberts that is as open as star citizen! Bet you can't!

He dreams of a day he can move the goal-posts into space so that no one will ever kick through them, but also on the chance they get close he might actually enjoy a space game since Star Citizen is never coming out.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Anyone think Ben and Sandi have ever run into a room at the same time and yelled "I shot a pilot!" and both were right for different reasons?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ZenMaster posted:

Anyone think Ben and Sandi have ever run into a room at the same time and yelled "I shot a pilot!" and both were right for different reasons?

no.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Imagine my hand is a backer, and this is us.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D1E posted:

Oh yeah? Well you've obviously never heard of the Wing Commander series, or a little game called Freelancer then goonie.

Chris Roberts has proven himself to be the greatest space video game designer in the history of the world and it is you who clearly does not understand game development.

You joke, and it's funny.

It's even funnier because these are genuine arguments.

Like saying a guy made a game with highly skilled professionals 20 years ago, who all basically said he was a dick, and who even himself has gone on record as saying he wished somebody could have reigned him in, can today make a game beyond the capability of all games.

Not only a game, but a life replacer. A life replacer that, when played currently, is terrible and broken and doesn't even resemble the vision that has been given.

It's only sad because it's all built on lies. :(

The man literally lies constantly for money. And it works.

Sometimes I wonder, could I have done this? Just lie and lie and lie? Even for $120 million, I don't think I could do it. I would literally hate myself. I would just live in a world of drugs and fakery to hide to myself how I get there. I would never interact with my community either, because how could I put real people emotions behind the lies I'm selling them?

What if I got to be e-friends with them? What if they told me about their families, or how their kids are missing Christmas or a birthday because of a ship sale I'm doing? What if they tell me how awesome I am and how great I am? How could I lie, bald faced, to these people I can put real human traits behind?

I couldn't. :(

I don't believe any human being can. It's why Chris only sells, sells, sells. His interactions are about only telling lies. He can lie so long as he doesn't put people behind his lies. It's steeling yourself. It's hardening your heart.

Ignoring the humanity behind your actions doesn't make it suddenly acceptable though. And it adds up.

I have a strong suspicion that it won't be jail or some magnificent Derek Smart vs Chris Roberts takedown in court that does him in. I bet it will just be an OD one night. :(

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
citizens are currently casting their vote on whether or not to allow Evocati leaks

here are the options:

edit; actually there is an allow all option. So far the "not allow at all's" have it.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 22, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Where is the "burn leakers at a stake" option?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

D1E posted:

Where is the "replace leaker's bones with liquid metal" option?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

So what was in the boring thingy about character models? Did they decide to re-do all the character models again? Did they make a second player character model so they can get started on redoing that?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D1E posted:

Where is the "burn leakers at a stake" option?

That's the hidden option underneath the conveniently placed Robot Warning.

PS: it's checked by default

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

:laffo: the top comment about how they should close the subreddit to information about development so as to preserve CIG's open development.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I may have posted this before but I thought "Evocati" was a joke term we used in this thread but then I found out that's literally the name CIG uses for the inner circle of backers

From wikipedia:
The name evocati was also applied to a select body of young men of the aspergian order who were appointed by Stimperor Crobitian to guard his bedchamber.[9] This body is supposed by some writers to have existed under succeeding stimperors and to have been the same as that consisting of those known as Evocati Augusti.[10]

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lazorexplosion posted:

:laffo: the top comment about how they should close the subreddit to information about development so as to preserve CIG's open development.

If development of your fantasy involved "it's a horrible mess of lies and poo poo, and the only saving grace is that it looks good" you too would want to silence that.

It's hard to fantasize about my 500k polygon ship's Chippendale contingent when my threads keep getting overrun by how my dream will never become reality. Top it off that each patch makes it further away from happening.

They need to change their motto from "you don't understand game development" to "I don't care about game development". It'll make their fantasy 100% easier to have.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

it's ok. leakers will be free to post the information over on /r/starcitizen_refunds, the premier source of star citizen news and advice.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

citizens are currently casting their vote on whether or not to allow Evocati leaks

here are the options:

edit; actually there is an allow all option. So far the "not allow at all's" have it.

They are the most pathetic, sycophantic community I have ever seen in my entire life. Further, it would be great if an intern from CIG could poo poo into my open mouth.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

over 80% of backers voted to remove NDA content from /r/starcitizen. please respect the wishes of the majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Marching Powder posted:

They are the most pathetic, sycophantic community I have ever seen in my entire life. Further, it would be great if an intern from CIG could poo poo into my open mouth.

I don't care what people say about you. You're ok with me! :glomp:

• Locked thread