Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In my mind the people who played stuff like V1, EU1 etc must have been full blown insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

frankenfreak posted:

Vicky 1 (without Revolutions) is still up there when it comes to "not a learning curve, but a cliff" in my mind.

Yeah, definitely for playing correctly.

But if your goal is to turn the Vatican into a 100% poor class nation that is the world's largest explosives stockpile it's pretty easy and fun to play.

I remember that the end game as a laissez faire nation would just grind to a halt as all of your capitalists spend all of their money on purchasing airplanes, because every rich person wanted an airplane the price would skyrocket to the point that they couldn't afford to make factories or railroads. They just spent all of their money consuming the world's limited supply of airplanes.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 22, 2016

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

In my mind the people who played stuff like V1, EU1 etc must have been full blown insane.

The EU board game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

The EU board game.

Is this in Boardgame simulator? I kinda wanna check it out as a historical document but not actually, play it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
there were some guys who were doing an LP of the board game, but i have no idea where it was or what happened to it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

PleasingFungus posted:

there were some guys who were doing an LP of the board game, but i have no idea where it was or what happened to it
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699480 <- rulebook and stuff in the OP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699629 <- our attempt at playing

tl;dr:

frankenfreak posted:

I'm intrigued, but 128 pages of rulebook? A "summary" that's longer than what it's supposed to summarize? :stare:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

And people complain about paradox games slowing down with too much CPU load in the modern era.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's a big rulebook.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol, forgot I already bought the Vicky 2 expansions during the last steam sale. Time to dive in and make Uruguay a world power again.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

P-Mack posted:

Lol, forgot I already bought the Vicky 2 expansions during the last steam sale. Time to dive in and make Uruguay a world power again.

Vicky 2 is cool, but really I don't think the tedium involved in grinding a lovely unciv to power is worth it. It's not really that hard necessarily, it's just a thing that takes a long time of you not doing anything

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
uruguay is a civ...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PleasingFungus posted:

uruguay is a civ...

I read it as Uganda somehow

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to disrupt the Vic2 chat, but are there many active Crusader Kings 2 players here? Yes? No? Since I feel like sharing a short series of events I recently witnessed, as my first and possibly only contribution (of dubious value) to this thread before inevitably being kicked out.

SO, my old character had a court physician that was amazing - he was a mercenary field medic called Ramiro, who was hired just before young King Rodrigo (bastard son of El Cid himself) inherited, and he stayed Rodrigo's regent and guardian throughout his early life - without stealing from the treasury or making any terrible decisions, at that.
After Rodrigo came of age (becoming an 'intricate webweaver' who had fantastic intrigue+martial), they both led the grand Portuguese army in a series of wars throughout Iberia and the Middle East; including single-handedly winning a Crusade for Jerusalem. (Although unfortunately Ramiro lost an eye during the latter, and Rodrigo lost a hand not long after)
After this long series of wars, Ramiro was granted a Duchy in Jerusalem and his newly-founded dynasty/family name and emblem were made in honour of the mercenary band he previously served with; the Catalan company. Rodrigo then died a few years later at the ripe age of 69, with his son Ramiro taking the reins. In appreciation of his many years of service, Ramiro (Rodrigo's son) granted his now-former court physician Ramiro 'the Brute' the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and with it his independence.

...and uh, that last part was in no way to simply avoid having to fight a Jihad over land I didn't really care about. Nosiree! Honest! :D

Has anyone else here had any interesting CK2-related events/'stories' (for lack of better words) happen? I've played the game for hundreds of hours now overall, however the above is a very brief summary over the most interesting character's lifetime I've played through in the game, for a while at least. (Also went on the pursuit of immortality, among many other reasonably standard event chains like discovering that the world is round, etc.)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 22, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

anyone got a didn't read gif handy

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Welcome to the Impzone.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Sure thing, here's one I stoleprepared earlier!

Also, on the topic of CK2, (*ahem* which I conveniently changed it to...) how's multiplayer like? I haven't played it with friends in a little while now (since Horse Lords maybe?), but as I recall it always de-synced, requiring the game to be restarted in order to re-align all players' checksum - even if you're just playing via LAN. Is this still an issue, or has that finally been fixed? (If anyone else actually plays CK2 multiplayer, anyway!)

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

There's this writeup where someone abused the hell out of the game's courtier spawning mechanics to take over the Byzantine empire as horses.

http://imgur.com/a/K1utf

The horses get hats and hair when they become nobles.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Commoners posted:

There's this writeup where someone abused the hell out of the game's courtier spawning mechanics to take over the Byzantine empire as horses.

http://imgur.com/a/K1utf

The horses get hats and hair when they become nobles.

Good lord, that's amazing! I don't suppose that exploit (if you can call it that?) is still in the game, is it? Since I've only had the Glitterhoof event fire once, if I recall correctly - and that was actually before they added horses to the game, so the event only fired your existing chancellor and left the slot/seat empty.
...Looks like I might need to take the lunatic route again soon, if you can still do that! :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I read it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm more of an EU man myself but maybe the latest patches will get me back into CKII since they've been making some good changes.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BBJoey posted:

I read it all

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ok i get it you guys are better at reading than me please stop

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

i never played eu3 before httt; 'complete' doesn't have casus belli, right?

casui bellorum

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry to disrupt the Vic2 chat, but are there many active Crusader Kings 2 players here? Yes? No? Since I feel like sharing a short series of events I recently witnessed, as my first and possibly only contribution (of dubious value) to this thread before inevitably being kicked out.

SO, my old character had a court physician that was amazing - he was a mercenary field medic called Ramiro, who was hired just before young King Rodrigo (bastard son of El Cid himself) inherited, and he stayed Rodrigo's regent and guardian throughout his early life - without stealing from the treasury or making any terrible decisions, at that.
After Rodrigo came of age (becoming an 'intricate webweaver' who had fantastic intrigue+martial), they both led the grand Portuguese army in a series of wars throughout Iberia and the Middle East; including single-handedly winning a Crusade for Jerusalem. (Although unfortunately Ramiro lost an eye during the latter, and Rodrigo lost a hand not long after)
After this long series of wars, Ramiro was granted a Duchy in Jerusalem and his newly-founded dynasty/family name and emblem were made in honour of the mercenary band he previously served with; the Catalan company. Rodrigo then died a few years later at the ripe age of 69, with his son Ramiro taking the reins. In appreciation of his many years of service, Ramiro (Rodrigo's son) granted his now-former court physician Ramiro 'the Brute' the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and with it his independence.

...and uh, that last part was in no way to simply avoid having to fight a Jihad over land I didn't really care about. Nosiree! Honest! :D

Has anyone else here had any interesting CK2-related events/'stories' (for lack of better words) happen? I've played the game for hundreds of hours now overall, however the above is a very brief summary over the most interesting character's lifetime I've played through in the game, for a while at least. (Also went on the pursuit of immortality, among many other reasonably standard event chains like discovering that the world is round, etc.)

what is with that av, it's freaking me out. birds don't have hands

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In Training posted:

I believe I own EU3 complete and no other DLC. It's the first paradox game I played

eu3 complete isn't actually complete, hope this helps

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

eu3 complete isn't actually complete, hope this helps

Yeah, EU3 Chronicles is actually the 'complete' version, as I recall. (Not sure if it has all the unit sprite packs or anything, though.

Jerkops posted:

Oh, it's a Kenku (at least, that's the only name for it I can remember); basically just a horrible bird-man-goblin thing

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Jerkops posted:

But have you ever really checked to see if they don't have hands?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is the forthcoming euiv patch going to ruin poo poo or not ruin poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
you can play on old patch versions via the steam beta menu

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
but will I still get my cheevos

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

MindSet posted:

but will I still get my cheevos

Yep. And the patch looks good, wars during regencies and monarchies getting a buff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is this the patch thats completely changing research too? that looks potentially neat. ill play a russian game when it comes out, i havent played in that region yet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that looks awesome to me. Maybe non euros will be able to spend MP now

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

is this the patch thats completely changing research too? that looks potentially neat. ill play a russian game when it comes out, i havent played in that region yet.

Do a Novgorod game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THey also adding some new features to old expansions which is neat, like you can make OPM trade cities that will never leave your league

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do a Novgorod game.

Or Ryazan if you wanna be a monarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed CK2 onto my laptop for my like half a day flight tomorrow. Hopefully my battery doesn't die before my empire does.