Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Germstore posted:

zdnet is also japan. It seems like american sites are tired of the humiliation of writing articles for items that will never actually be manufactured, so they have to go to foreign websites to fill in that sweet sweet press wall.

e: and GQ. It's literally all japanese press.

You'd think Popular Science would be all over cool looking snake oil Kickstarters since historically they've wrote about tons of poo poo that never left the concept phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

fishmech posted:

It's contaminated with heavy metals and other such crap frequently, plus Ensure/other similar food replacement drinks are cheaper and have actual taste to them. And since they're not made in shady chinese factories or your kitchen, they're actually consistently not-poisonous.

Oh man, that's really good to know. I did not expect to learn something important from the dumb gadgets thread.

Please enjoy this really earnest plea to start a bee haven from a guy who (apparently) has never kept bees:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1905300019/hannes-bee-resort?ref=category

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I am incredibly proud, not only did this thread make it through almost three years of GBS 2.0 unscathed but it also survived the great forums purge unscathed. Godspeed :patriot:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MrMenshevik posted:

Oh man, that's really good to know. I did not expect to learn something important from the dumb gadgets thread.

Please enjoy this really earnest plea to start a bee haven from a guy who (apparently) has never kept bees:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1905300019/hannes-bee-resort?ref=category

I think he's epic.

quote:

I will always have an epic-pen with me, for if there will ever be someone who is allergic to bee stings.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ever think "I love my Kindle, but it's just TOO small"?

This 13.3" e-reader can be yours* for a mere $700 on Indiegogo! Plus it runs rooted Android for that extra low battery life.

* it'll never come out

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
And at that point you're not just getting a Laptop why?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Morglon posted:

And at that point you're not just getting a Laptop why?

e-ink screens are nice to read from and if you're an easily-distracted babby like me it's good to have a device that just does one thing

that thing looks like a chunk of poo poo though

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

e-ink screens are nice to read from and if you're an easily-distracted babby like me it's good to have a device that just does one thing

Also e-readers have days of battery. I doubt this does.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

gschmidl posted:

This 13.3" e-reader can be yours* for a mere $700 on Indiegogo! Plus it runs rooted Android for that extra low battery life.

* it'll never come out

I was looking for something like this at one time, but it was for a pretty specialized academic purpose, and I wouldn't have paid 700 for it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

gschmidl posted:

* it'll never come out

Or someone could save $450 by buying the almost-as-big but forgotten Amazon Kindle DX

Sure, it's several generations out of date, but I can't imagine old Kindle software is going to be any worse than whatever kludged software that thing runs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it goes far enough, it should also procedurally generate new novels.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

you're going to have to be more specific in this thread

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Whatever happened to the promise/possibility of e-ink technology that could be in a scroll?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WrenP-Complete posted:

Whatever happened to the promise/possibility of e-ink technology that could be in a scroll?

Perhaps ninjas and wizards were concerned about potential data breaches?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/413021543/the-flip-up-tee-shirt

finally, an end to this madness for only 150 000 dollars

and on the note of transcendent fashion statements

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2142724760/icb-ice-cold-beer-t-shirts

If you like Ice Cold Beer and T-shirts this campaign is for you! Why not buy one these awesome shirts for you and your closest buds. They will be around for years to come and more memories to be made.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just need to point out that so far this has 2 backers:

1 person who backed $1,000 (clearly a friend of the creator or just the creator himself).

1 person who tossed it $1 for laughs.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

WampaLord posted:

1 person who tossed it $1 for laughs.

I've considered doing this a few times just to be able to comment on a hilarious failure/scam.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

glad they cut out the 20 min on the end of the video where he tries to put it all back in

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

social vegan posted:

glad they cut out the 20 min on the end of the video where he tries to put it all back in

You just set it on fire with the magnesium lighter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gschmidl posted:

Also e-readers have days of battery. I doubt this does.

Er, why? I mean the early Nooks all ran full Android but still had decent battery life. Plus when it's that huge you can just chuck a huge battery in the thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jesus, how did I not read this thread for two weeks?

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah. They might have been short and just wanted to play for time by shipping empty envelopes. Wasteful and dumb as gently caress, but this is Kickstarter were talking about so I repeat myself.

It has nothing to do with them being short or playing for time. The empty envelopes were all they ever intended to send. It's an old scam. You buy a laptop, but when it arrives the box is stuffed with 2lbs of old newspapers. You complain and demand a refund, but the seller shows a proof of shipping and a photo of the box with the laptop in it. It isn't their fault that the laptop disappeared, they say; someone at the post office must have read the contents list they put on for the shipping insurance and stolen it. Because they shipped in good faith and have evidence of that, there's nothing you can do except report it to the police. But of course, the seller never actually shipped the laptop at all. When PayPal started up a lot of people pulled the same scam there, with the added twist that it became even easier because PayPal did no due diligence - they wouldn't even check that the shipping paid was for the right weight. If you shipped anything at all and could prove it, PayPal would not hold you accountable for what arrived. There were any number of cases of people ordering computer monitors and instead receiving an envelope with a blank piece of paper inside. And that's what happened here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gschmidl posted:

* it'll never come out

If that thing 1) didn’t cost $700 and 2) wasn’t a scam, I’d buy one.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The concept of the product made me feel like it'd be a waste of money at any price point higher than $25. The needlessly dramatic music, appeals to using a 2 inch knife for serious self defense, and $100+ price tag made me loath the it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

gschmidl posted:

* it'll never come out

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DPTS1-Digital-Paper-System/dp/B00O7H0GNI

There wasn't even an attempt made. That's literally this. They mention it's a "Sony DPT-S1 on steroids" but literally everything is identical. The button positioning, the buttons themselves and the logos on them, even the pen thing and holder! It's the same screen resolution, same wacom digitizer, same listed internal storage, approximate same weight, the only thing that seems to be different is the processor. :psyduck:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

The concept of the product made me feel like it'd be a waste of money at any price point higher than $25. The needlessly dramatic music, appeals to using a 2 inch knife for serious self defense, and $100+ price tag made me loath the it.

The knife at least theoretically functions as a knife. I don't know what that baby transformers toy they called a "microtool" is supposed to do though other than break.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

After loosing our 20 year old daughter to an avoidable accident, my wife Tina and I set out on a mission to create a survival tool that could have saved her life. THE FLASHLIFE is that product that would have made the difference and has the capability to save thousands of lives each and every year. A simple design with a simple goal....STAY ALIVE!.

Did their daughter die while trying to murder the entire police department of a rural Washington town?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

social vegan posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/413021543/the-flip-up-tee-shirt

finally, an end to this madness for only 150 000 dollars

Did I just watch a video of a phone playing a video? I don't think my brain can take that. They didn't even do it someplace quiet.

Also I know it's 'artistic' but the last thing I'd want if the cops did have you raise your hands is to flash them with something unexpectedly.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Sep 24, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Did I just watch a video of a phone playing a video? I don't think my brain can take that. They didn't even do it someplace quiet.

Also I know it's 'artistic' but the last thing I'd want if the cops did have you raise your hands is to flash them with something unexpectedly.

If they already had the file on their phone... Why wouldn't they just upload that??:psyduck:

I agree with you though. Except as an art project, I wouldn't advise anyone to wear this. It seems that you'd already be in a tricky enough situation, facing a trigger happy cop; that's not the right moment for a political stance that might result in a startled, armed, cop.

Remember that after the body scanners went live across America, people started wearing underwear that would either block their genitalia or show a message? As far as I recall, those didn't go well either.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This is an incredible amount of effort put into making GBS threads on one Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbgvSi35n6o

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's pretty much Captain Disillusion's thing. He debunks videos on the internet because he knows a lot about VFX. He also did a pretty fun video with the guy who did the old Beakman's World kids show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_bTnkwLuE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If it weren't for the fact that there's a YouTube personality who does all his talking through a muppet instead of actually appearing on camera I would say that "YouTube dude who looks like the villain on a C-tier Power Rangers knockoff on purpose" has to be the most unfortunate gimmick.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Carecat posted:

This is an incredible amount of effort put into making GBS threads on one Kickstarter.

When it started I thought it was going to be poo poo. It's actually pretty fun and informative. Thanks for the link!

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Carecat posted:

This is a cool video, thanks. This dude's whole shtick is debunking poo poo, so at least he did it thoroughly.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, Captain Disillusion is a pretty neat guy, although some of his stuff is a bit cringe-worthy.

And he better be thorough, given that he's getting just over $4k a month from Patreon to make videos,

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

hell fuckin yeah just what I always wanted, a drinking cylinder with a knife on the other end

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

C.M. Kruger posted:

Did their daughter die while trying to murder the entire police department of a rural Washington town?

Only in the book. She must of had the flashlight in the movie.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

That's pretty much Captain Disillusion's thing. He debunks videos on the internet because he knows a lot about VFX. He also did a pretty fun video with the guy who did the old Beakman's World kids show.

Now that's a guest star.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
An IGG hovering Delorean tuns out to be a huge piece of poo poo, what a surprise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOoruKxi7s0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

If it weren't for the fact that there's a YouTube personality who does all his talking through a muppet instead of actually appearing on camera I would say that "YouTube dude who looks like the villain on a C-tier Power Rangers knockoff on purpose" has to be the most unfortunate gimmick.

Hey, don't be dissing felzbug. He's a star. In the same way the shrimp/small pastry guy is a PYF star I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGisQU5hd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

How about a japanese cooking show hosted by a poodle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInii1xx8Bc