Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sorla78 posted:

So what's the FPS Completionist package going to cost?

Edit:
I am looking forward to all those newly fiscally invested FPS citizens battle it out against the Space Sim citizens over whose visions deserves more attention by Chris Roberts.

Nothing much, just your soul.

(No one has noticed how skinny Sandi is looking lately?)

EDIT: My bad, my bad...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Roles. 'Skank #4' usually requires a neck tattoo.

Edit: Could have gone for 'dead hooker #4', but I wanted to keep it classy.

I was thinking this, but didn't want to write it.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

D1E posted:

What happened to all our resident shills?

They probably got called back to the mothership for some CR oversight.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh yah buddy, I certainly believe when you say that the working hours had no effect on your decision not to continue with the company.

...I'm pretty sure a 36 hr on the clock day would get me fired at my current company. The moment I tried to submit a timecard like that my manager and myself would be dragged into the office to explain what possible reason we would have for breaking the law with no subtlety.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Thanks this was actually Seth Nash who left with the other character artists at UK and he seems to be speaking about Forrester Stephenson, the guy that Jennison complained about as well.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/seth-nash

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 23, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

It seems that all these articles make clear exactly what kind of employee CIG is looking for to "fit in" appropriately:

Lackies with zero backbone willing to work 36-hour shifts with unquestioning servility and blind acceptance of whatever course Chris steers.

Sounds like a nice place to work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

D1E posted:

LOL 36 hour workday.

Certainly without overtime pay as well.

poo poo at least 38 studios paid their people overtime

quote:

“All of the developers who had worked on inventory systems said ‘OK, well, that's why this works in their game and why it won't work in this game’,” a source told me. “We spent four months having to prove ourselves right because that's the way it works with Chris Roberts. He will never believe you if you say you can't do something. You have to actually spend the time to make the entire thing and then show him when you push the button it doesn't work. That was a persistent issue. The team lost four months on that, a lot of manpower and hours, proving that, yes, in fact that doesn't work.”

crobbers might be the dumbest motherfucker

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
chris roberts spent some time to tell journalists all he has accomplished in his 2 year late no sign of it yet game

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nigga crab pollock posted:

i read this bit on the toilet when google now gave me that kotaku article and i honestly can't believe he said this

is chris roberts even remotely involved in the development process? has he ever even played a cryengine game?

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts doesn't even play Star Citizen.

It's probably just him watching videos people make of their progress. He has no idea how to play the game. You'll never see him play it again for the life of the project outside of those old YouTube videos of him looking like he's never seen it in action before.

Also it's important to note that videos look best from the graphics people, since programmers can't make videos of their progress as well. From that perspective, Star Citizen looks like it's making great progress to him. People should be appreciative to him for letting them work on such a AAAA game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

poo poo at least 38 studios paid their people overtime

crobbers might be the dumbest motherfucker

Crisp Roberts not actually knowing how to program and then telling other people what can or can't be done.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the Star Citizen who emailed Derek's wife and said he was dumb and gay, ama.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

LOL 36 hour workday.
It's obvious that he is a troll - the day can only ever be 24 hours long... even if by the principles of newton, that can be stretched

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Phenomenal. 36 hour day.

Should have gone the full 42 for extra effort

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is crazy. From the insanity, down to the 36 hour day.

How can you defend that? I'm sure shills will find a way.

Though not here. I think SA has fallen off the threat radar for a while. Might be a while before this mess clears before we see fresh shilling again.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
fuckin crobbers warping spacetime to avoid paying OT

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Might be a while before this mess clears before we see fresh shilling again.

Nah, MoMA will be back after CitizenCON. Whatever staged bullshit "demo" Chris presents will reinvigorate him to post a couple more shill comments, then CIG will inevitably miss their own target release dates and he'll fade out again.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You never go Full Burn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts doesn't even play Star Citizen.

It's probably just him watching videos people make of their progress. He has no idea how to play the game. You'll never see him play it again for the life of the project outside of those old YouTube videos of him looking like he's never seen it in action before.

Also it's important to note that videos look best from the graphics people, since programmers can't make videos of their progress as well. From that perspective, Star Citizen looks like it's making great progress to him. People should be appreciative to him for letting them work on such a AAAA game.

He somehow thinks his generic grey babby's first spacey game in 12-16fps looks as good as or better than the Order 1886 so take that as you will

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hey guys.. its wait wait..

guys its happening

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jBrereton posted:

It's obvious that he is a troll - the day can only ever be 24 hours long... even if by the principles of newton, that can be stretched

Newton didn't do relativity

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

He somehow thinks his generic grey babby's first spacey game in 12-16fps looks as good as or better than the Order 1886 so take that as you will

Well sure, to him it probably looks fine. He doesn't "play" it long enough to hit any number of crippling bugs and annoyances.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Newton didn't do relativity
If tyou think about it, he couldn't help doing relativity.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Chris Roberts thought Gary Parpman's wheezy-rear end, trite, hackneyed, boring speech was rousing and incredibly moving.

He can't be trusted to direct jack poo poo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well at 42 hours it is officially declared crunch time and CIG doesn't do crunch time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The Order may have been a bad game, but it looked phenomenal.

I don't even see how Chris can look at his game and say "Nailed it!"

Unless he is literally making the Pinterest of video games.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Welp. Nothing in here surprises me, but still. The single most important skill of *any* game designer is the ability to scope and prioritize your design. Nothing is worse for a project than a designer who can't prioritize correctly. I know so many people in the industry who ended up in projects under 'visionaries' that kept changing the scope of the design as soon as something shiny caught their eye, and it never, ever ended well.

There are always a million things I *want* to do with any game I'm working on. Some are just not feasible, some are probably not going to happen, some are just going to have to wait. Some are just plain bad ideas that, while they would make the game more suited to my own preferences, would be detrimental to its vision or core gameplay. So I try to decide what's critical, what's important, what's nice to have and what's just not going to happen.

Scoping. It's really loving important.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing I didn't expect from the articles was just how angry the Crobber seems to be getting that reality people won't fall in line with his vision. I always imagine him as casually domineering, but this feels more like he's realising the project is a giant joke and thinks if only everyone did as he told them he could save it

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

The thing I didn't expect from the articles was just how angry the Crobber seems to be getting that reality people won't fall in line with his vision. I always imagine him as casually domineering, but this feels more like he's realising the project is a giant joke and thinks if only everyone did as he told them he could save it

This is pretty common with the kind of designers I was talking about, actually. They tend to think that their part, having the brilliant idea, is the difficult bit, and if it doesn't work it's the fault of the people who can't even do the 'simple' part of implementing it.

They also never, ever learn from their mistakes.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
All the SC shills seem to be busy on Reddits main thread in /Games about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/544db7/inside_the_troubled_development_of_star_citizen/?limit=500

i'm not sure i see even a single negative comment thats actually visible.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lowtax please change my username to Click-Bait Journalism.

Thank you.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Between Chris Roberts apparently not understanding scoping, the focus on visuals over gameplay, the alleged long-term crunch and utterly toxic community, Star Citizen feels like a microcosm of everything that is wrong in the games industry. And that's not even getting into the rather dubious practice of selling $5000 spaceship jpgs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Welp. Nothing in here surprises me, but still. The single most important skill of *any* game designer is the ability to scope and prioritize your design. Nothing is worse for a project than a designer who can't prioritize correctly. I know so many people in the industry who ended up in projects under 'visionaries' that kept changing the scope of the design as soon as something shiny caught their eye, and it never, ever ended well.

There are always a million things I *want* to do with any game I'm working on. Some are just not feasible, some are probably not going to happen, some are just going to have to wait. Some are just plain bad ideas that, while they would make the game more suited to my own preferences, would be detrimental to its vision or core gameplay. So I try to decide what's critical, what's important, what's nice to have and what's just not going to happen.

Scoping. It's really loving important.

Look at this guy, talking as if he knows something about game development.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at this guy, talking as if he knows something about game development.

It's true, I haven't been to even a single mo-capping shoot. I'm a fraud. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Between Chris Roberts apparently not understanding scoping, the focus on visuals over gameplay, the alleged long-term crunch and utterly toxic community, Star Citizen feels like a microcosm of everything that is wrong in the games industry. And that's not even getting into the rather dubious practice of selling $5000 spaceship jpgs.

It really is a case study on how not to do things.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It really is a case study on how not to do things.

I'm pretty sure he has three more Porsches than you, and probably sleeps on six-thousand thread count sheets with a famous actress by his side.

And vacations ten times per year.

Sounds like a case study on exactly how to do things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

FIDELITY demands that the space dragon be performance captured by Andy Serkis over a six week shoot. Until that happens your arguments are like a toddler complaining about the color theory of the Sistine Chapel.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

D1E posted:

I'm pretty sure he has three more Porsches than you, and probably sleeps on six-thousand thread count sheets with a famous actress by his side.

If your only goal in life is to part nerds from their money, then yeah he's doing a bang-up job at it for sure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D1E posted:

For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

If you manage to fit a Vorlon-esque planet killer in Stellaris, I'm sure we can find it in our hearts to forgive you ;)

• Locked thread