Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

madey posted:

Kiss the what?!

Kiss The COON

He's ultra-liberal; a reverse-racist if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Green Arrow is not as prominent as Batman so gets ignored more, also in the comics he's always been the "liberal" version of Batman from what I recall (don't know how that jives with him beating up thugs on the street though, I haven't personally read a lot of GA stuff, I just know he is part of that famous GA/GL team up where the guy accuses GL of helping the orange skins and the blue skins but not the "black skins").

Note that SolidSnakesBandana's vision of a Batman who authentically cares about the poor people he beats up, who hopes that they rehabilitate themselves to a position where he can profit off their labor, is a liberal.

This is the danger that the Bat faces at the end of Batman v Superman, that he'll simply believe that men can still be good, but sometimes need the poo poo beaten out of them to remind them to get a nice 9-to-5. It's an open question whether he'll really live up to the revolutionary Superman, who died in solidarity with a sex trafficker.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drifter posted:

Kiss The COON

He's ultra-liberal; a reverse-racist if you will.

One teaspoon of cayenne Arrow

That is some pussy rear end chili

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Green Arrow is specifically typed as left-liberal in the GA/GL stuff because he's an urban white guy, a very important distinction to make in the 70's, as opposed to a suburban white guy. He originally started off as one of a score of Batman ripoffs, (Iron Man is something of a ripoff of Green Arrow, interestingly) but by the time Denny O'Neill got around to the character, he immediately made him sympathetic by having him lose his millions and renounce wealth entirely. Green Lantern was the square because he was a cop.

Joaquin Phoenix & Josh Brolin in a Green Arrow/Green Lantern movie please, tia

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's always been funny to me that Green Arrow is the DC guy who's been a committed relationship longer than anyone bar Superman.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's always been funny to me that Green Arrow is the DC guy who's been a committed relationship longer than anyone bar Superman.

the secret to a good marriage is to not be so important that your break-up would be a big event but also not so unimportant that one of you can be killed off for shock value in a big event

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it helps that Canary is not a glorified housewife.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brother Entropy posted:

the secret to a good marriage is to not be so important that your break-up would be a big event but also not so unimportant that one of you can be killed off for shock value in a big event

Helps if you avoid any deals with the devil too.

(Yes I know that was Marvel)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Rigged Death Trap posted:

One teaspoon of cayenne Arrow

That is some pussy rear end chili

This got brought up in the Arrow thread - Read the recipe carefully. There are three loving tablespoons of different chilli powders in that beast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

Helps if you avoid any deals with the devil too.

(Yes I know that was Marvel)

Sadly for Peter, he wasn't the best that's ever been.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

From a few pages back, but needs quoting because this is brilliant and it's blowing my mind I've never noticed this before. It's like a nightmare come to life of Batman having built his vigilante kingdom bloody radiator by bloody radiator until he's worked his way up from torturing men to torturing God good men that should be on his side, and it's in a way the ultimate betrayal of his ideals, built on a pile of bloody radiators. I love this movie.

No, wait, actually this is MY BATMAN.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sam Neill is going to be in Thor 3, boosting my excitement for it even more. Wonder if he and Goldblum will appear together.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Chairman Capone posted:

Sam Neill is going to be in Thor 3, boosting my excitement for it even more. Wonder if he and Goldblum will appear together.

Since this film is going to be almost 100% cosmic, does this mean we are going to get a multiverse storyline where one of the infinite universes is the one in which Jurassic Park is real?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
There is a cosmic entity that is golden and has three faces, I hope that's Goldblum, Neill and Laura Dern.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That's the Living Tribunal. The most powerful entity Marvel has next to God and maybe the Beyonders. It's basically keeping the entire multiverse in line as "The One Above All" (God/Kirby) right hand.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sam Neil says he was on set for about 4 or 5 days. So, depending on how editing goes, he's going to being in a much larger role than a cameo, but probably not a ton of screen time. Maybe 10 minutes or so unless they were really busy during those 5 days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pros do one take. he could be in half the drat thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

That's the Living Tribunal. The most powerful entity Marvel has next to God and maybe the Beyonders. It's basically keeping the entire multiverse in line as "The One Above All" (God/Kirby) right hand.

That's the one, thanks. So, Neill could be one face of the Living Tribunal, or he could be a hobo who befriends hobo Odin.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Given the cosmic nature of GotG, Thor 3, and Infinity War, there is a part of me wondering if Marvel is maybe working with Fox just to share rights for Galactus and Silver Surfer.

I could have sworn a few months back people questioned someone at Marvel about the X-Men appearing in the MCU, and they said there were no plans but something even bigger in the MCU was coming soon, but I can't recall if that was ever followed up on or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JediTalentAgent posted:

Given the cosmic nature of GotG, Thor 3, and Infinity War, there is a part of me wondering if Marvel is maybe working with Fox just to share rights for Galactus and Silver Surfer.

I could have sworn a few months back people questioned someone at Marvel about the X-Men appearing in the MCU, and they said there were no plans but something even bigger in the MCU was coming soon, but I can't recall if that was ever followed up on or not.

Not sure what interview you're talking about, but it is very very unlikely for any Fox properties to appear in the MCU. Fox and Marvel have a famously acrimonious relationship and Marvel recently tried to buy back the film rights to Galactus and some other Fantastic Four villains and Fox turned them down.

Fox is also on the record as saying that they will just release FF4 and X-men movies every 7 years or so to keep the rights and prevent Marvel from getting the properties back.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They let Deadpool use a couple XMen, or was DP a Fox property?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

They let Deadpool use a couple XMen, or was DP a Fox property?

Deadpool is Fox.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, when they always show that lovely Marvel animated intro thing how's a guy supposed to know?

Oh, that reminds me, the next marvel movie is going to have that minute long or whatever animated intro video thing, right? And from here on out?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Well, when they always show that lovely Marvel animated intro thing how's a guy supposed to know?

Oh, that reminds me, the next marvel movie is going to have that minute long or whatever animated intro video thing, right? And from here on out?

Yeah. It's only 15 seconds longer than the previous one, but still... why did it need to be longer?

The Marvel logo is at the front of all the movies because they are Marvel Comics IPs, but the film rights belong 100% to whoever produces them.

The 90's caused some crazy IP ownership issues at Marvel:

- Universal Studios still has exclusive distribution rights to any solo Hulk film. It's unknown how long this is for.

- Fox owns the rights to any live action or animated presentation of any Fantastic Four, X-Men, or "mutant" property. This has lead to an actual court battle to define what a mutant is and which origin story is canon to declare legal ownership of the film and animation rights. This includes new characters and IP created after the deal who fall under the umbrella of "mutants." This is almost certainly the reason Marvel decided to revive the Inhumans.

- Sony owns all Spider-Man live action rights, but not animated film rights or merchandising.

- Disney now owns all Marvel film properties, except for those signed away during previous ownership, but they do not technically own new IP's from Marvel Comics, but they do have exclusive first rights to claim any movie rights to a new IP.

- Universal Studios used to have exclusive rights to Namor as a character, and only Namor, but they let the rights lapse last year and Marvel owns Namor again.

It's crazy.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fox is also on the record as saying that they will just release FF4 and X-men movies every 7 years or so to keep the rights and prevent Marvel from getting the properties back.
Obviously to reassure the shareholders, not the fans.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

- Fox owns the rights to any live action or animated presentation of any Fantastic Four, X-Men, or "mutant" property. This has lead to an actual court battle to define what a mutant is and which origin story is canon to declare legal ownership of the film and animation rights. This includes new characters and IP created after the deal who fall under the umbrella of "mutants." This is almost certainly the reason Marvel decided to revive the Inhumans.

Not from this distance your honor.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't there some bizarre court case where Marvel claimed that X-Men toys weren't mutants, they were plastic, so they weren't subjected to that?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel argued that X-Men toys are not figures of human characters since they are mutants, thus avoiding the need to pay some sort of "doll tax".

It's like a comment on how capitalism affects civil rights or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And the US Supreme Court ruled in Marvel's favor. Mutants are legally not human.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Detective No. 27 posted:

And the US Supreme Court ruled in Marvel's favor. Mutants are legally not human.

Charles Xavier sheds a single tear...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

Marvel argued that X-Men toys are not figures of human characters since they are mutants, thus avoiding the need to pay some sort of "doll tax".

It's like a comment on how capitalism affects civil rights or something.
Man Ike Perlmutter is such a poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A couple of minor news stories out today:

- Unsurprisingly, Cumberbatch just officially confirmed for the first time that Dr. Strange is in Infinity War.
- Kevin Feige says that Stan Lee has already shot cameos for the next 4 Marvel films. (Stay strong Stan :smith:)
- Time Warner's CEO says the Batman solo film is going to drop in the second half of 2018.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RickFamuyiwa/status/780507720747065345

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are those Cyborg's boots?

edit It appears to be so:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The MSJ posted:

Are those Cyborg's boots?

edit It appears to be so:

Yeah, I think they said a while back he'd be in Flash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was thinking about some random poo poo a while back when someone (in some article somewhere) was saying that DC should have just continued on using the Nolanverse as their answer to Marvel's CU and how the dour MoS and BvS shows just how far they've fallen when compared to the amazingness of Marvel Civil War et al, and I realized that I am far more invested into the characters of MoS Batman and Superman than I ever have been from Iron Man on. Like, Downey's Iron Man 1 was super loving fun and unique for the time, but moving forward nothing really delved into these characters in a way that interested me. Same for Nolan's Batman - really, the only interesting thing, to me, to come out of Bale's Batman series was the Joker. There were deffo some cool parts and the odd scene with Scarecrow, not to completely disparage those films.

I think the Snyder movies really capture the characters and build the world around them and it's just a lot more interesting and fun to watch them try and interact in their worlds as real people might. These powers must truly be VERY dehumanizing, and that desire for balance where there can't really ever be just speaks to me for some reason.

I'm really fascinated by this Superman iteration because in my (version of realism based upon comics) mind a person really goes one of two ways when they've been given this power that Superman has - the mania and recklessness of something like what happens in Chronicle, or the unsurety of place explored by MoS.

I don't know why it's so much more interesting to me, these past two DCU films (Suicide Squad doesn't count because it was awful/boring to me in every way beyond the world itself created within, and Joker(/s relationship with Harley) have hooked me more than the "opposing" side of Marvel.

My absolute favorite MCU film so far has been Winter Soldier, and I don't really give a poo poo about anyone or anything that happened in it.

I hope Wonder Woman haves something more than pure spectacle that would allow me to invest in her and whatever other characters there are, and the same with the Flash movie. I hope the writers can keep up that exploration.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I'm with you on this. I think the main difference for me is that Snyder is not afraid to make films heavily influenced by his characters' point of view, like how a large part of BvS is basically Bruce's nightmare which, apparently, tends to confuse some people. But I really like that, it makes films feel really different and gives me better insight into what the characters are like and what's their relationship to other characters,which in turn makes me more involved when things happen. It's funny 'cause Snyder always get criticised for unrelatable characters or confusing motivations and I don't get that at all. Like, I feel I have a pretty good grasp of how this version of Superman or Batman would respond to a given situation and I'm invested in that response, whereas I've no idea what Black Widow or Hawkeye would do other than whatever's needed by the plot.

Marvel lost me when everyone started quipping all over the place, really. I absolutely loved Iron Man, I think I even went to the cinema twice to see it, and watched a few Marvels after, but after around the time Avengers came out all the characters started blending into one and I just completely lost interest. Shame too, because most of the casting is still pretty spot on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well, it's hard to be down about the idea of 'ghost liam neeson' being a recurring villain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Amazon have ordered all three of their recent comedy pilots to series, including The Tick starring Peter Serafinowicz.

http://www.cbr.com/amazon-orders-the-tick-to-series/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=lista
:sotw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's actually great news, I thought it was an either/or and was sad that JCVD was gonna get punked by the Tick. Both have potential.

• Locked thread