Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

It's the perfect example of a "pop culture reference as the joke" moment from the latest episode, plus it's my hockey team.

It was a bad joke but your point loses it's effectiveness when you say "Oliver dragged my beloved hockey teams name through the mud".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's just a hockey team mascot, and it was a moderately funny joke

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

xcore posted:

It was a bad joke but your point loses it's effectiveness when you say "Oliver dragged my beloved hockey teams name through the mud".

His reaction actually makes the joke retroactively funnier

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's perfectly fine to not find him funny. Comedy is very subjective and pretending he isn't funny is dumb. This isn't Carlos Mencia. You have my permission to find your funny news elsewhere.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

xcore posted:

I'll admit that I was being a bit over the top by phrasing it like that, but that reference (not joke) is what passes for his humor these days. He used to put effort into stories and they used to be funny. Now they're absolute slogs.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

I'll admit that I was being a bit over the top by phrasing it like that, but that reference (not joke) is what passes for his humor these days. He used to put effort into stories and they used to be funny. Now they're absolute slogs.

You're free to not find it funny, but I have to say that is definitely a joke and definitely not a pop culture reference. Since when are the Devils, or any NHL team for that matter, part of pop culture?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And more importantly, when have the Devils ever been worth giving a poo poo about?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

Of the 4 Democratic Candidates for President since I've been able to vote, Hillary is easily top two with the unstoppable Juggernaut that is Campaign Obama. If you were ok with Gore or Kerry there's no reasonable no-Hillary position.

I was luckily too young to have political opinions back then. :v:

I'm still baffled by Bush getting re-elected.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

I was luckily too young to have political opinions back then. :v:

I'm still baffled by Bush getting re-elected.

Kerry was not a strong opponent.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Y-Hat posted:

It's the perfect example of a "pop culture reference as the joke" moment from the latest episode, plus it's my hockey team.
Okay I probably missed it but why are the Red Devils Hockey Team a "pop culture reference", I mean, I can barely name the nation they play for - Canada amirite!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And more importantly, when have the Devils ever been worth giving a poo poo about?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

He used to have more jokes in his repertoire. Not only is this not funny, I'd hesitate to even call it a joke. One thing that struck me in his standup, his time at The Daily Show, and even the beginning of Last Week Tonight was that he was very funny, and I thought he earned his own show with his own hosting stint on TDS. I never listened to The Bugle, but I hear that he was very funny there too. Today, though, he's degraded himself to Family Guy humor as the only way to lighten things up. It's embarrassing. He can and should be much better.

Agreed, this show used to be hilarious but now there's too many unfunny jokes and him mugging up to the camera is getting annoying. It's only really an issue with the long segments though, the rest I don't have any problems with.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

He used to have more jokes in his repertoire. Not only is this not funny, I'd hesitate to even call it a joke. One thing that struck me in his standup, his time at The Daily Show, and even the beginning of Last Week Tonight was that he was very funny, and I thought he earned his own show with his own hosting stint on TDS. I never listened to The Bugle, but I hear that he was very funny there too. Today, though, he's degraded himself to Family Guy humor as the only way to lighten things up. It's embarrassing. He can and should be much better.

You've made this exact same post after every single episode for like years now, just stop watching.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

socialsecurity posted:

You've made this exact same post after every single episode for like years now, just stop watching.

No, because you see, ten seasons from now, when Oliver decides to pull a Jon, he'll be able to say that he saw his 'running out of material/steam' ten years in advance and thus is some sort of psychic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How long until someone brings up the bugle

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This show has always done the "X is not acceptable unless X is <something cute and zany>, and it should be" joke, it appears in pretty much every other episode, the most recent one wasn't egregious. Oliver pretty much established that his humour is built around repetition and slight variations upon the same set of quirky jokes and punchlines, the show hasn't really changed (for better or worse) in that regard.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'm fine with it. The show has a lot of running gags. Running gags can be funny, and a show that has them can be good and enjoyable, and in this case it is.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I still laugh every time he messes with the audience like with the Swiss wire transfer this episode or any time he shows you a map.

I don't really come to the show for the comedy though that's just a nice bonus. The show presents topics that everyone should know about in an easy to digest way. Even when I know about something already I usually learn a new angle or fact about the thing or at least it helps me organize my thoughts about it.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 28, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think the show is both funny and informative and it's too bad some of you are unable to enjoy it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

raditts posted:

I think the show is both funny and informative and it's too bad some of you are unable to enjoy it.

I'd like to enjoy it, but they keep making fun of both my favorite hockey team and my crush (Janice from accounting)

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
lmao what kind of hockey fan are you if you can't take a little banter

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Every time John Oliver makes a lame gag this thread erupts into furious debate over whether the British funny news man is actually funny or not. Yeah the dude has some stinkers and a really blatant formula but he's also hit it out of the park on numerous occasions. He's effective at his job, who gives a poo poo if he's not pure gold 100% of the time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It's literally one guy who keeps coming in here saying the show is stale and he's been doing it for two years now because people keep biting

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Most of Oliver's jokes are formulaic. It's pretty much a feature of the show! I can understand not liking them, but complaining about it seems rather pointless. It's how the writing staff writes. Full stop. It's like complaining he sits at a desk, or they keep calling the show "Last Week Tonight".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Personally I thought this last episode was garbage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

I'd like to enjoy it, but they keep making fun of both my favorite hockey team and my crush (Janice from accounting)

It's especially hard on MisterZimbu because Janice from accounting is a solid utility player for The Devils.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
My personal favorite running gag is "Thing: the thing you think so little about you don't realise that that's not thing, that's other thing. Which is not true, it really is thing, but you believed me when I said it wasn't thing which proves my point."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It always makes me feel good when I can catch him.

"That's not Niger! Sure I may be an ignorant american but that country is the racist-sounding country of COURSE I memorized its location"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MisterZimbu posted:

Janice don't give a gently caress. Why do you?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I think the problem with Oliver's show is not so much that he has running gags (which every comedy show has), but that he's got a rather limited arsenal. So in that sense, it gets incredibly old and tiring real quick. Compare it to the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, which of course reuse certain gimmicks, but they have a much greater breadth of skits and jokes.

Gnome de plume posted:

My personal favorite running gag is "Thing: the thing you think so little about you don't realise that that's not thing, that's other thing. Which is not true, it really is thing, but you believed me when I said it wasn't thing which proves my point."

This is one of the ones that's been bugging me the most recently. :smith: Yeah, I liked it the first two or so times, but I can see them coming a mile away now.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I have to say that bit with the class just absolutely broke my heart.

Like, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. When I was in high school in APUS Govt, one of the kids in my class's dad was some big guy in the ACLU for my region and he came and gave this talk to a group of mostly Asian, Jewish, and white kids about our rights and what to do when pulled over (cause that's ultimately what matters to commuting teenagers) but it was never something we all really had to digest and take as a life or death thing.

And to see all those black kids that were just so young have to learn this poo poo and they were all so dead serious, I mean, I just fell my stomach fall to my feet.

What a great segment that was though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Haven't watched the full episode yet, but I watched the main story on YouTube.

Talking about police accountability was way overdue, but I really want to them to do a story specifically on Black Lives Matter and disproportionate targeting of people of color. This story feels like a follow-up to a story they never actually did, but that story needs to be done because there's unfortunately a lot of people out there who still don't understand and need that information.

Talking about police accountability is great for those of us that understand that the system is broken, but when people out there don't know or don't believe that, then it doesn't really explain a whole lot. "Sure, police should be punished when they do something wrong, but what makes you think them shooting those black people was wrong in the first place?"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been saying this for ages but what the US police institutions needs is centralisation. State troopers are well respected, well trained and effective because they have a centralised and accountable system that is large enough that it can effectively counter nepotism and other forms of corruption. Of course this can vary by state but the first step is to remove policing from individual municipalities.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think it would help to drill deeper down into why all this is a problem in the first place. There's way, way too many people who still buy lines of bullshit like Trump's "Law and Order" and stop and frisk. Colbert did a great bit years ago about how the NYPD was stopping more black people than even live in the city.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/b9m4e5/the-colbert-report-threatdown---interdimensional-black-people--gay-strokes---manipulative-sicko-monkeys

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I've been saying this for ages but what the US police institutions needs is centralisation. State troopers are well respected, well trained and effective because they have a centralised and accountable system that is large enough that it can effectively counter nepotism and other forms of corruption. Of course this can vary by state but the first step is to remove policing from individual municipalities.

A big one for poor communities is the fact that the police act like thugs who pop by whenever they need money and gently caress everyone's life up with tickets, forfeiture, and fines

This is an easy fix, all police and court fines are dispersed evenly across the entire state, bumblefuck indiana cops won't give 1000 bullshit tickets a month if they only get 20 cents a ticket

Also get rid of ALL private prisons, parole services, etc from the justice system, holy poo poo attaching a profit motive to keeping people from becoming productive citizens is literally insane

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

override367 posted:

A big one for poor communities is the fact that the police act like thugs who pop by whenever they need money and gently caress everyone's life up with tickets, forfeiture, and fines

This is an easy fix, all police and court fines are dispersed evenly across the entire state, bumblefuck indiana cops won't give 1000 bullshit tickets a month if they only get 20 cents a ticket

Also get rid of ALL private prisons, parole services, etc from the justice system, holy poo poo attaching a profit motive to keeping people from becoming productive citizens is literally insane

A really scary example of this was the Massachusetts probation system that finally came to light a few years ago.

:smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really wondering about how local elections are going to go this year, because that's the level at which these things are controlled. Getting a federal crackdown on police departments across the country will be a nightmare to get through congress's bureaucracy and partisan rhetoric, and it's local elections where ordinary citizens can really encourage changes. I really do think that this is a case of an (indeterminate) amount of bad apples, but it's not bad individual officers, it's bad entire departments.

And everybody forgets about the importance of local government in this hyperbolic media environment drowning out everything with the battle of two titans who a lot of people have misgivings about the both of them. In local election every individual's vote matters more. Even if you don't like either presidential candidate, research your local candidates and get out there and vote.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

a federally run police force is not really that great, you guys have to look no further than Canada's RCMP. Ask anyone who is even remotely first nations up here about their opinion of them, better yet ask any women that are first nation how they feel about the RCMP.

Hell ignoring the institutional racism they also are responsible for plenty of other retarded poo poo such as tazing an innocent man to death (to be fair it is also upsetting that no one working at the airport was indicted as an accessory or whatever), recently being discovered to have spent a stupid amount of money to "convince" two stoners to plant a bomb at the BC legislature.

Now that may seem like BC has a problem with their RCMP but the FN stuff is Canada's version of #blacklivesmatter and it is very much a problem across the country

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Are all canada's police federalized? I thought the mounties were more like the FBI.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Local doesn't necessarily help when you have things like gypsy cops.

The biggest thing is data. Centralized collection and availability of data including things like resignations while under investigation and officer involved shootings would go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

IRQ posted:

Are all canada's police federalized? I thought the mounties were more like the FBI.

in some ways yes but in other ways they are a combination of the duties of State Troopers, FBI, Secret Service, and local Sheriffs. I mean there are Sheriff branches in Canada but that's more for DoJ stuff and less local municipality jurisdiction. I mean you have to remember that Canada is a large country with a freaking tiny population in comparison so if you don't have a local police force (which means every municipality that is not a major metropolis) you have an RCMP detachment because we don't have a large enough population to pay for more independent branches. However if you live in Ontario where they have their own Provincial Police, or if you live in Quebec where everything is Quebec related because Quebec.

• Locked thread