Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the only thing i use dryer sheets for is making my AC wall unit smell better for a day or two and slightly less efficient all of the time, come to think of it.

~*~life hacks~*~

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:shrug:
It's a neat enough project for kids that more than likely have smartphones anyway so like, whatever. That gold one he did is pretty good with some touchups.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why didn't he just use the metal cutting piece to cut the wax paper? Or is that some American novelty where things like that can be cut right from the container?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Life hacked into one of the booby traps in his MacGyver home security system.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Len posted:

Why didn't he just use the metal cutting piece to cut the wax paper? Or is that some American novelty where things like that can be cut right from the container?

Every container of wax paper, tin foil, or saran wrap I've ever bought has had a blade built in to the box lip. Is that just an american thing, or am I misunderstanding your question?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The American thing is to go even cheaper and use plastic

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Neito posted:

Every container of wax paper, tin foil, or saran wrap I've ever bought has had a blade built in to the box lip. Is that just an american thing, or am I misunderstanding your question?
Baking parchment, too, which is what he's using.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

Same here. I was asking if that's just something here in America :911: because we believe in making things easy.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Len posted:

In ol' blighty, manufacturers have cheaped out and removed the metal cutting bit and replaced it with serrated cardboard.

Which is about as effective as asking the wax paper to tear in a straight line and then making it tea.

So, scissors is a free lifehack for you.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Some of these aren't hacks, just regular advice.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Cruel and Unusual posted:

:words:

I'll admit I do the last one, writing out longhand in a weird color pen instead of typing notes makes them stick in my brain better. Writing out longhand automatically makes me like nine million times more likely to retain information in the first place, and the colored pen (I like green) is an extra visual cue.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hack decoder:

3) The hack is to actually bring the index card.

5) The hack is to creatively redefine the words "leave" and "a".

That's all I got for hacks.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I skimmed most of that.

Was it because of the font?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's a hack. Stuff's hard to learn cause it's too abstract and therefore difficult to visualize. Thing is the brain can learn any amount of stupid poo poo and can make positively asinine associations if you just provide it with the right hooks to hang that poo poo off of. Say for example this conformational change is mediated by isomerase catalysis. So conformational is balls, change is oval office, mediated is "emo", isomerase is turdwreck and catalysis is guntjack, and there you have it! Balls oval office "emo" turdwreck guntjack. There's no way you're forgetting that poo poo like ever. Works on anything too! Your brain will look like a natty clownhouse with knowledge in no time!

e: grandma

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 13:07 on Sep 26, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mnemonic hack: bebibu bebibu a e a e. I will remember that for the rest of my life without remembering what it is exactly.

e: I'm pretty sure I still know what or ris tur mur mini äntur is for tho.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress JC spoiler that poo poo now you've infected my meme base with Finnish mnemonics. Kyrpä.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I hope they’re not studying the placebo effect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwyOpjerd_8

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think a bunch of the study things are true, but impossible to really evaluate anything from that format. Makes me want to bleach my brain and start over.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The scent thing does have a mechanism to work (to this day, I can't smell commercial dishwashers without remembering my first job at a greasy spoon diner), but would be ruined easily by literally any other association with that scent.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I'd buy that the scent makes you think about the place you studied or how you felt while you were studying, but I'm really dubious about that helping you remember any of the material you were studying.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah and I think the taste of peppermint may decrease perception of effort, which is why people use Listerine and gum at the gym (also their breath).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In my psych101 class they went over some of those tips and the smell one works. Also taking exams in the same room you have class in helps. Just the associations your brain makes with things is all it takes.

For some reason Prince of Persia Sand of Time and pumpkin rolls match for me. I think because I watched a friend play it while mom made a bunch for Christmas.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're bound to run out of scents before you ever run out of exams. You're gonna sit there blasting fart spray in your face, having exhausted all the more pleasant commercial options in previous exams. Or you're gonna become entirely dependent on the memory triggers and sit in the exam room with a battery of different sprays, desperately trying to find the one that's 18th century Irish poetry and creating an unholy miasma around your desk.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's the hack! Thank you! I knew I had missed something.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
18th century Irish poetry is obviously Guinness, what sort of random-rear end mnemonic scheme are you running. :colbert:

Or wait, maybe that one was wet wool...

No, no, wait, that one was root beer-flavored vape cloud because my dickbag roommate was in the dorm while I was studying.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dareon posted:

18th century Irish poetry is obviously Guinness, what sort of random-rear end mnemonic scheme are you running. :colbert:
It says unfamiliar smell :colbert:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I have reached the point in my life now where I just want to stab "sooo kawaiii" people in the head with a pickaxe,

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have reached the point in my life now where I just want to stab "sooo kawaiii" people in the head with a pickaxe,

You mean that's not a given? :confused:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used to make an exception for hot chicks with their titties falling out of their tops :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

I used to make an exception for hot chicks with their titties falling out of their tops :shrug:

What about horrible chicks with their titties hanging out from under their tops? :911:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

What about horrible chicks with their titties hanging out from under their tops? :911:

Nothing wrong with underboob. :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Nothing wrong with underboob. :colbert:

Well sure it's handy when you can rest your nipples on your fanny pack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well sure it's handy when you can rest your nipples on your fanny pack.

You and I have completely different definitions of underboob.

As for that video I didn't even make it to the lifehacks before it went off.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

FutonForensic posted:

Dryer sheets help keep your pasta from turning into lintguini

gently caress you.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

My Lovely Horse posted:

You're bound to run out of scents before you ever run out of exams. You're gonna sit there blasting fart spray in your face, having exhausted all the more pleasant commercial options in previous exams. Or you're gonna become entirely dependent on the memory triggers and sit in the exam room with a battery of different sprays, desperately trying to find the one that's 18th century Irish poetry and creating an unholy miasma around your desk.

Come on man, everyone knows you use the fart smells for 20th century Irish poetry.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37480694

This is great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Not sure if bachelor or single mom.