Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

What would an actual "reasonable" number of rounds be? (not trying to start gun chat!) Is this an order of magnitude or two more than would be expected?

It was a bird sanctuary right? Maybe they were worried about running into one of these guys .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nocturtle posted:

It was a bird sanctuary right? Maybe they were worried about running into one of these guys .

I was thinking that, given their evident grasp on the English language, they misread "Refuge" as "Refugee" and were expecting to pwn some Syrians or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

When you think about it, birds are really dinosaurs, so if you don’t come loaded for those, you’re aren’t prepared.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Hey, we don't know that. Maybe the ones who left their guns behind were felons who weren't supposed to have guns, and were afraid of being searched during their exit. Totally different fear.

Which we already know a few were

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
didnt they also shoot a whole bunch of it into a pond or something

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is "United States of American, and does 1-100" a typo or a sov cit thing I can't even tell

The does thing is probably just lazy. Its normally John/Jane Doe 1-100 and it refers to any number of unknown defendants to be named during or after I think discovery.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

XMNN posted:

didnt they also shoot a whole bunch of it into a pond or something

I just kind of assumed that a significant chunk of the terrain/local wildlife ended up full of bullets.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

red19fire posted:

Someone who's good at economics please help my family is dying

In Iraq, I was issued 180 rounds, I think that's the standard because it's like 5-6 full magazines. For an estimated 40 people, that's about 250 rounds per person, excessive but not outside the realm of possibility. The difference is that the occupiers had all kinds of different weapons of different calibers, from assault rifles to hunting rifles to pistols, so it would be a logistical nightmare to keep them supplied. I think one guy had a musket (because he was a felon and it's not an illegal firearm for him), one guy had an old timey six shooter.

But to reiterate it's also what they left behind when they poo poo their pants and ran for the hills, who knows how much they took home.
Take this as coming from someone who hasn't ever even handled a gun, let alone participated in an armed occupation of federal land, but when I read the list of evidence, it seems like they had ammunition spread all over the place. Like, in envelopes or loose in drawers and whatnot, and I just can't understand how it would get like that. It seems like they made a deliberate attempt to stash random bullets everywhere, but I can't see what good it would do, even to a bunch of gun-crazed nutjobs. Any insight into what their freedom-addled brains were doing?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Azathoth posted:

Take this as coming from someone who hasn't ever even handled a gun, let alone participated in an armed occupation of federal land, but when I read the list of evidence, it seems like they had ammunition spread all over the place. Like, in envelopes or loose in drawers and whatnot, and I just can't understand how it would get like that. It seems like they made a deliberate attempt to stash random bullets everywhere, but I can't see what good it would do, even to a bunch of gun-crazed nutjobs. Any insight into what their freedom-addled brains were doing?

It indicates their plans and preparations were heavily influenced by PS1-era Resident Evil games.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm standing outside on the sidewalk with a civil rights lawyer friend with subluxated ribs who is calling uncle about reading and explaining these filings because he is laughing so hard. We have no mercy.

Fake edit: the filing did not cause the rib injury.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

red19fire posted:

In Iraq, I was issued 180 rounds, I think that's the standard because it's like 5-6 full magazines. For an estimated 40 people, that's about 250 rounds per person, excessive but not outside the realm of possibility. The difference is that the occupiers had all kinds of different weapons of different calibers, from assault rifles to hunting rifles to pistols, so it would be a logistical nightmare to keep them supplied. I think one guy had a musket (because he was a felon and it's not an illegal firearm for him), one guy had an old timey six shooter.

But to reiterate it's also what they left behind when they poo poo their pants and ran for the hills, who knows how much they took home.

Just thinking logistically, few thousand rounds is what you'd use for a major action. Looking at an old Guerrilla Warfare manual put out by the army in the early 60s, they would drop 200lbs. pallets with 20 M-2 .30 carbines (as an individual weapon), along with 60 30-round magazines and 3,200 rounds of ammo, with another 6,400 .30 carbine rounds available in an separate airdrop pallet. That would easily get you around 10,000, enough to supply a small 20-man army quickly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

What about the claim that they were (verbing) hostile adverse possession?

Adverse possession can't work in this situation for like a dozen reasons, but the "hostile" part doesn't require guns, it just means the previous owner of the land can't have let the people be there. I think occupation via threat of force would actually nullify an otherwise valid adverse possession claim (which, again, these guys didn't remotely have).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Adverse possession can't work in this situation for like a dozen reasons, but the "hostile" part doesn't require guns, it just means the previous owner of the land can't have let the people be there. I think occupation via threat of force would actually nullify an otherwise valid adverse possession claim (which, again, these guys didn't remotely have).

Yeah my attorney friend is saying also it would have to be a much longer period of time.

Edit: 20 years.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Sep 28, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Azathoth posted:

I haven't shot guns or gone hunting for a decade and a half. But reading about the random stuff left lying around the refuge, my guess is less that they were genius siege defense planners, and more that they were incompetent yokels who just left live ammunition lying around in unsecured places all over. It's not hard to leave live rounds in bad places that you shouldn't (I've done it), but storing extra bullets in letter envelopes and rolling around in desk drawers is indeed as bad as it sounds. In my experience this does not prove that any of them are smart, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

It's an insight into what their freedom-addled brains weren't doing. The "bullets crammed into literally everything" coupled with their utter lack of other preparation shows that they just didn't think about logistics. Their guns were totems and little more; they were disorganized idiots about the whole thing in every way imaginable.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah my attorney friend is saying also it would have to be a much longer period of time.

Edit: 20 years.

That and "adverse possession" is also known as "squatter's rights;" absentee landlords are kind of a problem. The timeline actually varies from state to state but what they were doing, far as I know (standard "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer goes here), wasn't adverse possession in any way, shape, or form. Basically with adverse possession if you use a property for long enough without anybody telling you not to it just kind of becomes yours. If somebody can't even be assed to watch their stuff for a decade or two they probably don't care about it and aren't using it.

I'm pretty sure these guys were told to leave multiple times. They may have "lived" there long enough to get tenant's rights but that kind of goes out the window in light of them literally being armed insurrectionists trying to tear down the federal government.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Azathoth posted:

Idle hands are the devil's playground.

I'm guessing most of he ammo started in ammo cans but a month with nothing to do but clean your guns and load/unload magazines probably ended up littering bullets all over every room, tent and ditch on the refuge.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It indicates their plans and preparations were heavily influenced by PS1-era Resident Evil games.

This is hilarious.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's an insight into what their freedom-addled brains weren't doing. The "bullets crammed into literally everything" coupled with their utter lack of other preparation shows that they just didn't think about logistics. Their guns were totems and little more; they were disorganized idiots about the whole thing in every way imaginable.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading they left evidence of their lifestyle all over the place, inside and out. There would have been spoiled food, tobacco products, beverage containers, mud, pocket constitutions, etc, strewn everywhere. In that context finding guns and ammo shouldn't be surprising at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That and "adverse possession" is also known as "squatter's rights;" absentee landlords are kind of a problem. The timeline actually varies from state to state but what they were doing, far as I know (standard "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer goes here), wasn't adverse possession in any way, shape, or form. Basically with adverse possession if you use a property for long enough without anybody telling you not to it just kind of becomes yours. If somebody can't even be assed to watch their stuff for a decade or two they probably don't care about it and aren't using it.

I'm pretty sure these guys were told to leave multiple times. They may have "lived" there long enough to get tenant's rights but that kind of goes out the window in light of them literally being armed insurrectionists trying to tear down the federal government.

I worked a stint in the mortgage industry, and know that the whole "squatter's rights" laws of Oregon are among the more restrictive in the country. Basically for "Adverse Possession" here you have to move into a vacant property, get utilities and such started in your name, occupy the place for a significant of time (looks like 10 years from a quick search) and the actual landowner has to know and disapprove of this action. The whole thing can be stopped by starting an eviction process from what I can see.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6188078_file-squatter_s-rights-oregon.html

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Would the laws of Oregon apply in this case or some federal law?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I keep about 20 loose 7.62x39 rounds in a sock stuffed inside my computer

Just in case

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WrenP-Complete posted:

Federal law. But these clowns with argue Oregon law because sov cit mumbo jumbo.

Basically open, notorious, and hostile means that everyone knows you're doing it and no one cares enough to do anything about it. Generally, if someone tries to do something about it in the 10-30 years required, you're basically done (you can't just kill the owner, bury his body in the back and wait 10 years), so the guns reflect less an attempt to squat than an attempt to take property by force aka robbery.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I haven't shot guns or gone hunting for a decade and a half. But reading about the random stuff left lying around the refuge, my guess is less that they were genius siege defense planners, and more that they were incompetent yokels who just left live ammunition lying around in unsecured places all over. It's not hard to leave live rounds in bad places that you shouldn't (I've done it), but storing extra bullets in letter envelopes and rolling around in desk drawers is indeed as bad as it sounds. In my experience this does not prove that any of them are smart, though.

Someone pointed out that random other nutjobs were probably also mailing them a few bullets here and there to "help" so that's probably some of them, the ones found in envelopes anyway. The rest is just them treating their guns like toys and playing load-unload while sitting around bored.

My gf is into guns and I'm not terribly comfortable with them so I'm really emphatic that all ammunition is kept in a locked ammo can in our closet and never ever leaves that can until it gets to the range. I'd probably have a stroke if there were just loose bullets lying around the house everywhere like that :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I worked a stint in the mortgage industry, and know that the whole "squatter's rights" laws of Oregon are among the more restrictive in the country. Basically for "Adverse Possession" here you have to move into a vacant property, get utilities and such started in your name, occupy the place for a significant of time (looks like 10 years from a quick search) and the actual landowner has to know and disapprove of this action. The whole thing can be stopped by starting an eviction process from what I can see.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6188078_file-squatter_s-rights-oregon.html

Wait so what happens if they approve of you...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wait so what happens if they approve of you...

Then you're what they call a tenant.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Not that I want to defend the drone program or anything but isn't that like, most military operations that involve killing people?

I mean I guess if you compare it to "conventional" aircraft, bombers and jets would be miles away by the time the impact actually happened, sure, but compared to other military actions I don't know. It's not like the army just fucks off without checking after shooting wildly in the general direction of the enemy right?

e: And missile cams have been a thing for decades now too

Oh yeah, but I was comparing it to conventional bomber pilots, who are (with the possible exception of A-10 etc gunships) the manned-aircraft drone-equivalent. You're probably not going to apply ground troops to the same situations you apply flying death robots. That's much of the point of flying death robots.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MariusLecter posted:

I keep about 20 loose 7.62x39 rounds in a sock stuffed inside my computer

Just in case

communist spotted

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

communist spotted

It's his cum sock. It takes a lot to get him off...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I shouldn't talk, the only "scary" firearm I own is chambered in 7.62x39 lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Someone pointed out that random other nutjobs were probably also mailing them a few bullets here and there to "help" so that's probably some of them, the ones found in envelopes anyway. The rest is just them treating their guns like toys and playing load-unload while sitting around bored.

My gf is into guns and I'm not terribly comfortable with them so I'm really emphatic that all ammunition is kept in a locked ammo can in our closet and never ever leaves that can until it gets to the range. I'd probably have a stroke if there were just loose bullets lying around the house everywhere like that :ohdear:

my brother leaves bullets laying around and also has small children so his children play with bullets like they were toys

that is my story about irresponsible bullet stowage, thank you

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mirthless posted:

Idle hands are the devil's playground.

I'm guessing most of he ammo started in ammo cans but a month with nothing to do but clean your guns and load/unload magazines probably ended up littering bullets all over every room, tent and ditch on the refuge.

I tend to think the random ammo scattered about is the remains of what people took when they ran. Few rounds in a drawer are left from the frantic scoop of all the others that were in there too.
The ones in envelopes, I wonder if those were like special suicide rounds. Like in their fantasy world if they got hammered down to the last holdout, the envelopes came out for that last plug in their brains. Granted they likely thought they'd never have to, but it was something else to fantasize over and show the other idiots how awesomely willing you were to GO DOWN IN A BLAZE OF GLORY

WrenP-Complete posted:

Federal land, federal law. That's why it's always a bad idea to do criminal acts on/in federal property

VikingSkull posted:

I shouldn't talk, the only "scary" firearm I own is chambered in 7.62x39 lol

7.62x54 is where it's at, son. A man uses a man sized cartridge

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Sep 28, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

I tend to think the random ammo scattered about is the remains of what people took when they ran. Few rounds in a drawer are left from the frantic scoop of all the others that were in there too.
The ones in envelopes, I wonder if those were like special suicide rounds. Like in their fantasy world if they got hammered down to the last holdout, the envelopes came out for that last plug in their brains. Granted they likely thought they'd never have to, but it was something else to fantasize over and show the other idiots how awesomely willing you were to GO DOWN IN A BLAZE OF GLORY

Federal land, federal law. That's why it's always a bad idea to do criminal acts on/in federal property

7.62x54 is where it's at, son. A man uses a man sized cartridge
Okay last two gun law related questions from me, I think. I don't know this vocabulary in English that well, so please forgive any errors.
1. So with M-16 and Uzi (which are the only guns I am at all familiar with) if you hit the back of the round hard enough, even if the round isn't chambered, it can cause an explosion and damage. Is this also true of the rounds that were left there?
2. If this is also true, is there any kind of cause of action even if no explosion occurred? Or is it only if someone was hurt that it would be a legal problem? Are civil and criminal laws different on this point?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

WrenP-Complete posted:

2. If this is also true, is there any kind of cause of action even if no explosion occurred? Or is it only if someone was hurt that it would be a legal problem? Are civil and criminal laws different on this point?

I doubt it, there are lots of things that fall into the "This is dangerous if you hit it with a hammer" category.

e: Made me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVvpKkYchw&t=114s

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WrenP-Complete posted:

Okay last two gun law related questions from me, I think. I don't know this vocabulary in English that well, so please forgive any errors.
1. So with M-16 and Uzi (which are the only guns I am at all familiar with) if you hit the back of the round hard enough, even if the round isn't chambered, it can cause an explosion and damage. Is this also true of the rounds that were left there?

You have to hit a bullet pretty direct with a hammer to get it to discharge and there's really not much it can do. There's not a ton of gunpowder in most bullets and without the barrel to compress the explosion they don't generally generate a tremendous amount of force. I'm sure it's possible to get hurt this way, but it would be a freak accident if it happened, not a likely occurrence.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

WrenP-Complete posted:

If you hit the primer of any round hard enough it's going to discharge. Same thing if you do something stupid like throw it in the fire like a friend of mine did at boyscout camp. The brass/steel case isn't strong enough to contain the gas expansion from the burning powder without the support of the chamber walls, so it won't shoot the bullet, it'll just pop like a soda can, just more dramatic and probably with some shrapnel. The chance of it happening by accident just rolling around in a desk drawer or hanging out in a ziploc baggie are slim to none, it's pretty much something you'd need to do intentionally.

People buy and store ammo in bulk in metal ammo cans, plastic buckets and sometime even ziploc bags all the time and it's not really a risk at all.

CommanderApaul has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Sep 28, 2016

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mirthless posted:

You have to hit a bullet pretty direct with a hammer to get it to discharge and there's really not much it can do. There's not a ton of gunpowder in most bullets and without the barrel to compress the explosion they don't generally generate a tremendous amount of force. I'm sure it's possible to get hurt this way, but it would be a freak accident if it happened, not a likely occurrence.

Someone in the army tried to use a .50 cal machine gun bullet as a hammer, hitting with the primer end at whatever he was trying to do when the round went off. He only got to keep about half of his hand, the pics are as nasty as you'd expect (they were taken pre-surgery). Here's a link to a pic of the resulting safety bulletin:

WARNING:
:nms:
:nws:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/m2-50-caliber-machine-gun-rock-hand-explosion-memo.jpg

e: this is with a .50 cal machine bullet, the largest bullet in service (outside of things mounted on vehicles). This is the upper end of injury from a bullet going off, unless you somehow got your hands on ( :haw: ) a mk19 round, or an explosive 25mm/300mm like bradleys, apaches or A10s shoot.

Icon Of Sin has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Sep 28, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I'm sure it's possible to get hurt this way, but it would be a freak accident if it happened, not a likely occurrence.

Thanks, all! I didn't know if ammunition alone was a particularly dangerous thing.

Back to spicy sov citizenshipery.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thanks, all! I didn't know if ammunition alone was a particularly dangerous thing.

Back to spicy sov citizenshipery.

Actually before we get off this topic, is ammo particularly dangerous in a fire? In addition to "it must stay in a can in the closet" I also like to have it pointed at the exterior wall just in case we have a house fire and it starts cooking off so as to not accidentally murder a firefighter, but my gf is pretty sure it wouldn't even make it through the (metal) can.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Actually before we get off this topic, is ammo particularly dangerous in a fire? In addition to "it must stay in a can in the closet" I also like to have it pointed at the exterior wall just in case we have a house fire and it starts cooking off so as to not accidentally murder a firefighter, but my gf is pretty sure it wouldn't even make it through the (metal) can.

Your level of fear is irrational. It can't generate enough pressure to escape the ammo can. At a family vacation property there has been ammunition kicking around loose in a junk drawer for as long as I can remember. My grandfather put it there when he lived there and he died a decade and a half ago. At that point it had been there at least 10 years, but probably much longer. It has not jumped up and killed anyone in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

therobit posted:

Your level of fear is irrational. It can't generate enough pressure to escape the ammo can.

Well okay, but

therobit posted:

At a family vacation property there has been ammunition kicking around loose in a junk drawer for as long as I can remember. My grandfather put it there when he lived there and he died a decade and a half ago. At that point it had been there at least 10 years, but probably much longer. It has not jumped up and killed anyone in that time.

Obviously it's not going to do anything by itself under normal circumstances, I just don't want "my house is burning down" to become "my house is burning down and also I've blown up a firefighter trying to save me" or something like that.