Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Bullets achieve their killing power because the explosion is contained in the chamber, and the gases expand out the barrel, pushing the bullet ahead of it rapidly.

If a bullet goes off in a fire, it basically just pops open. A huge number of rounds (like an ammo dump) exploding will result in a large number of rounds cooking off dangerously, but it's a numbers thing. If you throw a handful of rounds into a campfire chances are none of the bullets make it past the stones containing the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Icon Of Sin posted:

e: this is with a .50 cal machine bullet, the largest bullet in service (outside of things mounted on vehicles). This is the upper end of injury from a bullet going off, unless you somehow got your hands on ( :haw: ) a mk19 round, or an explosive 25mm/300mm like bradleys, apaches or A10s shoot.

Yeah, that picture is pretty bad, but as you said a .50 is a loving huge bullet. It's pretty much at the upper range of what a person can fire in a single-shot rifle. Any automated .50 is pretty much mounted on a machine or stationary platform.

For reference, here's the size comparison from the .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) page on wikipedia:

Note how the 7.72mm and the NATO rounds are the smallest rounds besides the .22LR? The .22LR is mostly used for shooting targets or small game/vermin, if it went off in your hand you'd likely get some nasty burns and cuts from the powder and shrapnel since neither your hand nor the brass casing can compress the explosion nearly as well as a gun's chamber. The next two rounds would more or less be like a firework going off in your hand: burns, broken bones and a few nasty cuts from brass being forced into your hand but you're still pretty much guaranteed to keep the full use of your hand once it heals.

If a handgun or rifle round goes off without a gun's chamber and barrel to compress it the blast really isn't that bad. In fact the bullet is far heavier than the casing so the bullet will generally stand still while the casing bounces around mostly harmlessly.

Dude was still a fuckwit for using the base of a .50 as a hammer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can't send ammo through USPS. They were indeed receiving packages through the evil US Postal Service. I actually rather like USPS. I've bought a lot of books over the years from Amazon third party sellers, and the mail has never mangled or lost anything I've bought. They did lose a check I sent this spring, but it was the first time ever. I just find it really ironic that we must support ARE TROOPS, but hate the guy who delivers the mail when I know for a fact he has days where he works harder than I do.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
USPS is great because they mail me drugs and won't open my packages without a search warrant

Remember kids: The private sector doesn't value your privacy, but the government has to.

This is why I love Uncle Sam. More big government, please!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When a round is ignited outside of a gun, the bullet goes essentially nowhere. It’s heavy and the shell can’t build enough pressure to give it a good push before bursting.

The thing you have to worry about, to the extent you have to worry at all, is the shell, which now small, sharp pieces of brass flying in every direction. Think of it as a really lovely hand grenade.

Now for a historical sidenote:

This is a diagram of a lever‐action rifle. Normally the rounds would be in a tube under the barrel. This is an uncommon design, but it illustrates the concept.

See how those cartridges are all lined up nose‐to‐butt (no jokes, please)? That’s kind of a bad idea because if the rifle were ever to get jolted strongly enough, the nose of one bullet is positioned just right to set off the round in front of it.

This image illustrates the solution: don’t use bullets with pointy noses. It was as simple as that.

Unfortunately, blunt‐nosed bullets don’t necessarily have the ballistic performance you want, so it was a mark against lever‐action rifles.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
In a desperate attempt to forever slay the demon of Gun Chat™ here's a great write-up on the civil suit grilling that retard sympathizer sheriff got:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/09/grant_county_sheriff_invokes_t.html#incart_river_home_pop

quote:

JOHN DAY – Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer invoked his right against self-incrimination 51 times while being questioned under oath about his handling of government records.

Palmer wouldn't answer questions about deleting emails dealing with public business and whether he had any emails related to the occupation earlier this year of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The sheriff used his Fifth Amendment right last week during a deposition in the lawsuit he faces from The Oregonian/OregonLive. The news organization sued Palmer, his office and his civil deputy in May to force disclosure of public records such as arrest reports, calendars, emails and cellphone invoices. The state public records law generally requires public officials to disclose such documents.

A key issue in the dispute is Palmer's use of a personal email account to conduct his public business. The news organization sought work-related emails dating back to November 2015. In court filings months after receiving the request, Palmer said his practice is to print out important emails from his personal account, file them and then delete them from his system.

It was during a series of questions about that practice that Palmer invoked the Fifth Amendment.

The sheriff didn't respond to a subsequent request for comment.

He has become a national figure over his sympathy for the occupiers of the wildlife refuge. He has said he traded text messages with Ammon Bundy, the Idaho businessman who led the occupation. He also met in John Day with two occupation leaders.

Starting in late January, John Day city officials and Grant County citizens filed 11 complaints with the state agency that certifies police, alleging the sheriff's actions put the community at risk. The Oregon Department of Justice opened a separate criminal investigation of the sheriff over an allegation he tampered with government records in 2012. That investigation remains active.

Palmer was questioned for about six hours last Tuesday and Wednesday by Brad Daniels, a Portland attorney representing The Oregonian/OregonLive. The sheriff, who has been in office since 2000 and is running for re-election in November, answered questions about his knowledge of state law governing public records, his handling of requests for records, his cellphone use and his relation with several individuals.

Questions about his personal email account prompted the Fifth Amendment claims. He first invoked the right when asked whether he had reviewed the legal definition of "public record" before the lawsuit was filed.

Palmer also invoked the right after he was shown and asked about his email exchanges with Grant County District Attorney Jim Carpenter. Palmer earlier told The Oregonian/OregonLive that he had no email records related to the refuge occupation. One email exchange from Feb. 12 related in part to a Florida man invoking Palmer's name to issue phony grand jury papers.

Palmer took the Fifth when asked about whether the emails were public records, if copies existed in his office, where he would file a printed version and why it wasn't released to the news organization.

He invoked the right when questioned about other documents he had said he didn't have but other government agencies subsequently provided to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Sally DeFord, who as Palmer's civil deputy handles administrative functions such as expenses and legal papers such as restraining orders, invoked her Fifth Amendment right three times during separate testimony.

She cited it when she was asked if she had destroyed any records and whether she still had emails involving one of Palmer's special deputies – volunteers deputized by Palmer for public lands patrol, search and rescue and other functions.

Legal experts say the Fifth Amendment is intended to protect witnesses from giving evidence that could be used against them in a criminal case. They say the protection is intended to force the government to prove a crime without admissions from a suspect.

Margaret Paris, a University of Oregon law professor, said someone can stay silent if "what that person fears (is) that their statements might be used against them in a criminal case."

Steven Salky, a Washington, D.C., criminal defense attorney who wrote a book on the Fifth Amendment published by the American Bar Association, said witnesses can use the right even if they believe they're innocent of criminal conduct but concerned the answers might lead to criminal charges.

It's unusual for public officials to invoke the right, Paris said.

"Most of our public officials and law enforcement officers, we don't expect them to be engaging in something that would tend to give rise to a criminal proceeding," she said.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's an insight into what their freedom-addled brains weren't doing. The "bullets crammed into literally everything" coupled with their utter lack of other preparation shows that they just didn't think about logistics. Their guns were totems and little more; they were disorganized idiots about the whole thing in every way imaginable.

Novo posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading they left evidence of their lifestyle all over the place, inside and out. There would have been spoiled food, tobacco products, beverage containers, mud, pocket constitutions, etc, strewn everywhere. In that context finding guns and ammo shouldn't be surprising at all.

It's basically Broken Windows Theory applied to a bunch of dumb hicks LARPing as freedom fighters. As I've said before, in a little more than 3 weeks they turned a pristine wildlife preserve into a condemned trailer park. They were ostensibly planning for an occupation of a year while simultaneously spitting tobacco on the carpets, just unrepentant slobs. It's why most professional military soldiers are loving lunatics about cleanliness, and theres a job (in the marines at least) for ammunition technicians, aka bullet counters.

They probably also had some romantic ideal of making a Last Stand and needing to hide bullets everywhere, but I'm sure that Tarpman's demise changed their minds real quick.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It indicates their plans and preparations were heavily influenced by PS1-era Resident Evil games.

I was going to say 'Siege preparation somewhere between Home Alone and a squirrel burying nuts for the winter' but this is perfect.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

:fap:

i want to print this out and frame it

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Sep 28, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

This is hilarious.

red19fire posted:

I was going to say 'Siege preparation somewhere between Home Alone and a squirrel burying nuts for the winter' but this is perfect.

Seriously, when I read about how they left stray ammo just lying around, I flashed back to finding handfuls of 9mm rounds in garbage cans, desk drawers, and random other locations in the early part of Resident Evil 2 so hard that my spoken dialogue got really stilted and I started placing emotional emphasis on random words in each sentence.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Seriously, when I read about how they left stray ammo just lying around, I flashed back to finding handfuls of 9mm rounds in garbage cans, desk drawers, and random other locations in the early part of Resident Evil 2 so hard that my spoken dialogue got really stilted and I started placing emotional emphasis on random words in each sentence.

Games still do that. I mean I can kinda understand in post-apocalypic settings like Fallout where poo poo's just left wherever by squatters after dozens of years but some games get really silly about it when you think about it. The first example that springs to mind is Deadspace 2. Yes the protagonist is primarily using reconfigured engineering tools to fight of zombies, but it's pretty strange to find plasma cutter ammo, sawblades or loving detonation packs, let alone ammo for the straight up plasma rifles in the middle of domestic settings. And these weren't placed here after the apocalypse by squatters, you're basically walking around in the middle of the space-zombie apocalypse as it's happening so why is there a crate with Flamethrower or Detonator ammo in this kid's room I just walked through?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Space school shooter interrupted by space zombies.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Games still do that. I mean I can kinda understand in post-apocalypic settings like Fallout where poo poo's just left wherever by squatters after dozens of years but some games get really silly about it when you think about it. The first example that springs to mind is Deadspace 2. Yes the protagonist is primarily using reconfigured engineering tools to fight of zombies, but it's pretty strange to find plasma cutter ammo, sawblades or loving detonation packs, let alone ammo for the straight up plasma rifles in the middle of domestic settings. And these weren't placed here after the apocalypse by squatters, you're basically walking around in the middle of the space-zombie apocalypse as it's happening so why is there a crate with Flamethrower or Detonator ammo in this kid's room I just walked through?

At least the voice acting is less cringe-worthy, these days.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alkydere posted:

why is there a crate with Flamethrower or Detonator ammo in this kid's room I just walked through?

I take it you don't live in the American south

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Space school shooter interrupted by space zombies.

The idea that the elementary school you go through was hosed no matter what is morbidly amusing. Though a space-school shooter case would have less suicide-bomb babies at least.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I take it you don't live in the American south

Texas, actually.

And as we've just seen with the Bundy Buddies. The sorts who would treat explosives/guns/flammables this casually are definitely not limited to south of the Mason Dixie.

Alkydere has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'll talk a lot of poo poo about the south, and while they have their issues, these types of whackaloons are pretty much a staple of the upper midwest and southwest

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
where ever there is hill country and brush land, a mouth breathing moron with loose ammunition will be there

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

In a desperate attempt to forever slay the demon of Gun Chat™ here's a great write-up on the civil suit grilling that retard sympathizer sheriff got:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/09/grant_county_sheriff_invokes_t.html#incart_river_home_pop

I need a goddamn cigarette after that. You should crosspost it in the schadenfruede thread.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This video almost killed my lawyer friend last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

WrenP-Complete posted:

And you didn't finish the job?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Remember, when the FBI asked him to send them a list of everyone who had access to their crime computer systems, he faxed back a handwritten note: "ANYONE I DEPUTIZE". And suddenly his office had their access to the FBI's classified computer systems revoked. He was Boss Hog levels of corrupt, not enough bad things can happen to this idiot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

Sounds like that guy missed his calling as an engineer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
General coverage of today's opening of the defense case here(OPB).

quote:

Defense attorneys for Ammon Bundy and six others accused of taking over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge earlier this year got off to a rocky start Wednesday morning as they began making their case.

U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown grew visibly frustrated during the initial proceedings as it became unclear who on the defense would call the first witnesses, and which witnesses would be called.

“I’m not here to organize your case. I don’t want to,” Brown told the defense attorneys.

The prosecution said they had only received the witness list Wednesday morning from Ammon Bundy’s attorney, Marcus Mumford, and hadn’t had enough time to go through it.

“Get it together, folks,” a frustrated Brown added after about 30 minutes of the defense trying to figure who would call the witnesses. “It’s 9 o’clock. Someone call a witness.”

Oregonian coverage here. Not as good today, unfortunately. the big takeaway:

quote:

If any of the defendants who are representing themselves plan to testify, they will be questioned by another lawyer, the judge said. It would be hard for jurors, she noted, to keep "a straight face,'' if a defendant posed their own questions and then answered them on the stand.

At the trial today, one Shirley Warren became the focus of attention. Warren is a native american(of the Siletz tribe, not, Burns Paiute, which appears to be completely unrelated) who appeared on occupier videos to say that the occupiers were treating native american artifacts with respect, but that the employees at the refuge offices had not. Video here, and here. She was disavowed by her tribe almost immediately. Well, she was called as a defense witness today. It was a mess.

Remember when I fixated on Brandon Curtiss early in the occupation? well, I was wrong to do so (he wound up being a bit player in those events), but that doesn't mean he isn't fun!

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/781204370658586624

Members of 3% militia group say leader took money meant for arrested Idahoans

Also:
https://twitter.com/Shady_Mitt/status/780989323713847296

MariusLecter posted:

And you didn't finish the job?

A shameful patriot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What is the world coming to where we can't even trust the leader of an outspoken group of national traitors not to be a traitor :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

quote:

Maxwell testified about working through suicide prevention techniques with Fry. He also described the final conversation with Fry, when the 28-year-old from Ohio demanded negotiators say “hallelujah” before he would surrender.

“I said ‘hallelujah,’” Maxwell said.

“And he came out?” Olson asked.

“And he came out,” Maxwell said.

To be fair, a lot of guys come out for Marc Maxwell.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

WrenP-Complete posted:

Okay last two gun law related questions from me, I think. I don't know this vocabulary in English that well, so please forgive any errors.
1. So with M-16 and Uzi (which are the only guns I am at all familiar with) if you hit the back of the round hard enough, even if the round isn't chambered, it can cause an explosion and damage. Is this also true of the rounds that were left there?
2. If this is also true, is there any kind of cause of action even if no explosion occurred? Or is it only if someone was hurt that it would be a legal problem? Are civil and criminal laws different on this point?

You have to strike the primer hard and fast....point of refrence you can crush bullets in a press and they won't explode

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Remember when I fixated on Brandon Curtiss early in the occupation? well, I was wrong to do so (he wound up being a bit player in those events), but that doesn't mean he isn't fun!

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/781204370658586624

Members of 3% militia group say leader took money meant for arrested Idahoans

quote:

One member, who did not wish to be identified, said there were about 1,000 members statewide before the resignations began.

So are they going to start an offshoot of the 3% called '3% of 3%'? :haw:

Wasn't he the one that disappeared with like $5k of kickstarter Bundy support money and drank it away in a motel room?

E: :lol: is there a master list of 'vocal anti government idiots sheepishly beg for help from the government dot XLS' somewhere?

quote:

An anonymous complaint was filed Monday with the Idaho Attorney General’s Office.

“I can neither confirm nor deny whether we are taking any action on the complaint,” said Brian Kane, assistant chief deputy attorney general.

red19fire has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Sep 28, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reminder that David Duke was fleecing idiots throughout the 90s by claiming to be in severe financial difficulty. He also didn't pay taxes on this money which earned him his felony.

Casimir Radon has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Sep 29, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Super Patriots and white supremacists being easily scammed is hardly surprising.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Socialist Jesus loves us, for:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/781278837493551104

https://twitter.com/conradjwilson/status/781258176393916416

This is remarkable- other journalists are reacting with shock. The trial was anticipated to last for months.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Lol if they each told the court that that they had 15-20 witnesses each and then whoopsies they're all the same.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This is remarkable- other journalists are reacting with shock. The trial was anticipated to last for months.

They're realizing that they hosed themselves royally and there's not much they could do about it. May as well through themselves at the mercy of the jury.

Subterfrugal posted:

Lol if they each told the court that that they had 15-20 witnesses each and then whoopsies they're all the same.

Hahahaha, that too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I need a goddamn cigarette after that. You should crosspost it in the schadenfruede thread.

you know I think I will!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just tried to explain sovereign citizens to a recent Serbian immigrant. I think I failed pretty hard but his summary was, "they are crazy people or not crazy people with wrong ideas and bad understanding of the US government system," which isn't the worst summary.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I know this is a dumb question but are witnesses allowed to be called twice? I thought cross examination was the defense's only chance to ask questions?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WrenP-Complete posted:

I just tried to explain sovereign citizens to a recent Serbian immigrant. I think I failed pretty hard but his summary was, "they are crazy people or not crazy people with wrong ideas and bad understanding of the US government system," which isn't the worst summary.

I wonder if more pessimistic countries are inoculated against this nonsense a bit? In the US folks believe that freedom is essential, corruption is intolerable, and justice exists. The constitution is practically holy writ, and the founding fathers are all but infallible. So when the American Dream doesn't materialize for you personally, it must be that something is wrong, horribly wrong, and you just need to find the secret code to get back to the ideal USA that civics class promised you.

Old world countries seem to have more resignation for life's little imperfections.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

WrenP-Complete posted:

I want one of these of the Rick and Morty Georgia case.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

I wonder if more pessimistic countries are inoculated against this nonsense a bit? In the US folks believe that freedom is essential, corruption is intolerable, and justice exists. The constitution is practically holy writ, and the founding fathers are all but infallible. So when the American Dream doesn't materialize for you personally, it must be that something is wrong, horribly wrong, and you just need to find the secret code to get back to the ideal USA that civics class promised you.

Old world countries seem to have more resignation for life's little imperfections.

It's spread to at least the British Commonwealth, with the Freemen on the Land being their equivalent to our SovCits.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

red19fire posted:

I know this is a dumb question but are witnesses allowed to be called twice? I thought cross examination was the defense's only chance to ask questions?

Cross examination is limited to the scope of the direct examination (and impeachment) by rule. So if the government calls FBI Mark to talk about his conversation with the last four holdouts, the defense can only cross him on his conversation with the last four holdouts (and the time he got caught lying under oath). If the defense wants to talk to Mark about some other aspect of the case, then they have to call him in their case-in-chief.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's spread to at least the British Commonwealth, with the Freemen on the Land being their equivalent to our SovCits.

They've probably seen too much american media. One day it just clicks and they go "By george, there is no rule that a dog can't play basketball!" and all is lost.