Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If you're a fan of so-bad-it's-good movies then your double attraction this month is Snake Eyes and Sphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watched Raiders! the other day on Netflix, and it was great. It's a documentary about a group of 11 year olds that spent 9 years creating a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Long shot, but this seems like the place to ask: 6-9 months ago there was a streaming subscription site announced that was dedicated to arthouse/foreign/culturally significant films (Criterion-esque). It didn't have a launch date, just a place to leave your email for updates. Does anyone have any idea what that was and if it's still coming?

edit: vvvvThanks!!vvvv

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Silver Brushes posted:

Long shot, but this seems like the place to ask: 6-9 months ago there was a streaming subscription site announced that was dedicated to arthouse/foreign/culturally significant films (Criterion-esque). It didn't have a launch date, just a place to leave your email for updates. Does anyone have any idea what that was and if it's still coming?

FilmStruck? According to this thread it's still set to launch next month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silver Brushes posted:

edit: vvvvThanks!!vvvv

There's also Fandor, which has been around a little while now, and which has some very awesome stuff that nobody else does.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Watched The Phantom since it's about to leave Netflix.

Kinda cute. There are some problems and it's not really a gripping action movie, but on the other hand, and I cannot stress this enough, it has Catherine Zeta Jones playing a sexy pirate lady. Who essentially spends the whole film hate flirting with Kirsty Swanson.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Watched The Phantom since it's about to leave Netflix.

Kinda cute. There are some problems and it's not really a gripping action movie, but on the other hand, and I cannot stress this enough, it has Catherine Zeta Jones playing a sexy pirate lady. Who essentially spends the whole film hate flirting with Kirsty Swanson.

It also has Treat Williams firing a guy, then as the guy is leaving the conference room, he throws a loving spear through him and nails the guy to the wall, and everyone else in the room just sort acts like this is okay. Treat Williams also kills a guy with a microscope rigged to force blades into the eyes of the person who uses the focusing wheel of the microscope.

Basically, Treat Williams is the best part of The Phantom

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Enos Cabell posted:

Watched Raiders! the other day on Netflix, and it was great. It's a documentary about a group of 11 year olds that spent 9 years creating a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

That's a long time to be eleven. They're probably very good at pre algebra by now.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

If you're a fan of so-bad-it's-good movies then your double attraction this month is Snake Eyes and Sphere

Snake Eyes loving rules

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Spatulater bro! posted:

So I see that much of Shudder's catalog is also on Amazon Prime. Is there any reason for me to subscribe to Shudder if I already have Prime?

I am interested in this queston also. I was planning to get Shudder at least for the month of Halloween, but if it is pretty much the same as Prime, I don't see a real use.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I am interested in this queston also. I was planning to get Shudder at least for the month of Halloween, but if it is pretty much the same as Prime, I don't see a real use.

Its really not the same selection as Prime at all. Shudder is an add-on to Prime and yea there's maybe a small handful of movies that are redundant, but hardly any. For the $5, you'll get access to at least five or six great horror movies that are right up your alley, regardless of what your personal taste in horror is. And that's at an absolute minimum. You could probably get through your entire October marathon using nothing but Shudder.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Shudder site is a pile of garbage. I've had many problems with movies refusing to play after a certain point (confirmed by others in the comments), player updates moving essential controls off screen unless you fiddle with window sizes, and a generally poor experience with a website that operates like something made from a "My First Streaming Service" kit. As of a couple months ago it didn't have any kind of sorting controls besides alphabetical and a clearly incorrect "most recent" and it only just added a watch list feature.

I switched to the Amazon Prime addon as soon as I knew it existed. I'm really disappointed by how little an effort they put into the main website.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm not seeing any way to search the Shudder catalog (not the entire Amazon catalog) from the Prime Shudder channel. All it lets me do is browse the pre-made collections. Am I missing something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm not seeing any way to search the Shudder catalog (not the entire Amazon catalog) from the Prime Shudder channel. All it lets me do is browse the pre-made collections. Am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_1?rh=n%3A2858778011&ie=UTF8&qid=1475257759

Do you see "Refine by" on the left with Shudder under the channels list?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Buca di Bepis posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_1?rh=n%3A2858778011&ie=UTF8&qid=1475257759

Do you see "Refine by" on the left with Shudder under the channels list?

Search, then refine. I suppose that'll suffice. Thanks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Another Shudder question. Do they occasionally lose movies the way Netflix does?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Another Shudder question. Do they occasionally lose movies the way Netflix does?

Not that I've seen, and I've been a subscriber for like 5 months now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just watched Amanda Knox. Italian law enforcement is terrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just watched Amanda Knox. Italian law enforcement is terrible.

Based on all the Giallo movies I've seen they just sorta wander around crime scenes eating sandwiches and making sarcastic remarks

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Based on all the Giallo movies I've seen they just sorta wander around crime scenes eating sandwiches and making sarcastic remarks

The lead detective on the case, my wife put it best, is like a comic relief character in a play by Shakespeare. He wants very much to be Sherlock Holmes and for this to be one of his favorite detective stories, so he goes out of the way to bend reality and make it so. It's funny, but at the same time this weirdo did a lot to put apparently innocent people in jail for quite some time, all in the name of having a more interesting life.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The entire theory of the crime was something out of a goddamned fumetti.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They appear to be there mostly to ask who has a light.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow Liza Schlesinger is loving terrible. Avoid that one at all costs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Okay, so I watched the 2015 thriller River last night, and it's basically a new grindy, neo-noir classic.

Otherwise, don't sleep on Belgica. It's great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Season two of Detectorists is out. Is it as good as S1?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wa27 posted:

Season two of Detectorists is out. Is it as good as S1?

Yep. Such a great show.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Wow Liza Schlesinger is loving terrible. Avoid that one at all costs.

Could have saved a bunch of time by watching the first 10 minutes of her last one.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I really like Iliza but I didn't love this special. It has some good material but her delivery can be a bit much. I thought the go home bit was impressive but just not that funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The one joke that made me smirk was immediately ruined by her running it into the ground after it was over by making stupid voices and faces for another 20 seconds. Reminds me of a female Kevin Hart. You are right some of the jokes had potential but they get ruined by the delivery.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Luther season 4 is a disaster, I have a hard time thinking why anyone thought producing it was a good idea in the first place. Avoid at all costs.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Luther season 4 is a disaster, I have a hard time thinking why anyone thought producing it was a good idea in the first place. Avoid at all costs.

I've had it in my queue for a bit and was worried about this. S1 and S2 are so captivating, but S3 was a dump and sounds like it's going to follow suite.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Filthy Hans posted:

Sounds like the set up for a Rodney Dangerfield standup.

"Idris Elba. I love Idris Elba. If it were up to me I'd cast him as the lead in everything... I'd make an exception, though, for Luther Season 4; because that's how much I like the guy."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
crossposting from the documentary thread because I hadn't heard anything about this until yesterday.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep. Such a great show.

Just finished it; you were right. Season 2 was kind of odd, though.

I was hoping for something different than "new character pretends to be naive and enlists the help of the DMDC (and gets romantically involved with a club member), only to be revealed as a bad-guy detectorist that's working with Simon and Garfunkle." That's the exact plot of season 1.

Also, they totally abandoned the plane wreckage stuff after building up the whole "is there gold?" mystery. I guess since it was Nazi gold, we're just supposed to not care? And then Netflix doesn't make it clear that the last episode was a Christmas special, so you're totally expecting it to finish up the storyline, but then it's 6 months later with no mention of the main S2 plot. Looking back, Episode 6 was a good end to the season, and it did wrap up every storyline except the plane wreckage. It's just that last episode that threw me for a loop.

Anyway, I still love this show. It's a really unique style of comedy and the tone is perfect. It's too bad Season 3 sounds like it's still questionable. Everyone should check out Detectorists.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Just finished it; you were right. Season 2 was kind of odd, though.

I was hoping for something different than "new character pretends to be naive and enlists the help of the DMDC (and gets romantically involved with a club member), only to be revealed as a bad-guy detectorist that's working with Simon and Garfunkle." That's the exact plot of season 1.

Also, they totally abandoned the plane wreckage stuff after building up the whole "is there gold?" mystery. I guess since it was Nazi gold, we're just supposed to not care? And then Netflix doesn't make it clear that the last episode was a Christmas special, so you're totally expecting it to finish up the storyline, but then it's 6 months later with no mention of the main S2 plot. Looking back, Episode 6 was a good end to the season, and it did wrap up every storyline except the plane wreckage. It's just that last episode that threw me for a loop.

Anyway, I still love this show. It's a really unique style of comedy and the tone is perfect. It's too bad Season 3 sounds like it's still questionable. Everyone should check out Detectorists.

I had the same reaction to Ep 7, adding a supernatural element in a show that doesn't need it is usually pretty dire, but the episode was funny and thoughtful enough otherwise so I'll give it a pass.

As for the plane, it was clear that there wasn't any gold on the plane and the German, the mayor, and the Dirt Sharks were all just greedy nighthawk scum; they were so myopic about the myth that they never realized the crash site's real value was cultural, not commercial. Also, the wanted poster with a photo of the real Simon & Garfunkel was comedy gold.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Maybe this is old news but I'd never seen it before: apparently Black Mirror s3 is hitting Netflix on the 21st (spoilers for one ep in that link, btw)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man Prime keeps adding gold!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I2NXNE...9&pf_rd_t=12401

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

:chloe:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
The VVitch is on Amazon Prime. In my opinion, it's an instant classic and probably the scariest movie I've seen outside of The Shining and Ju-on. The dread begins building mercilessly from the 2nd scene and never lets up. It's beautifully shot and acted from a superb script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

The VVitch is on Amazon Prime. In my opinion, it's an instant classic and probably the scariest movie I've seen outside of The Shining and Ju-on. The dread begins building mercilessly from the 2nd scene and never lets up. It's beautifully shot and acted from a superb script.

Yeah, I've went into this one blind on a lark and it was amazing. The only thing to keep in mind it that it is a fairly gradual, so for the best experience make sure to set some time aside and shut out possible distractions, so you can really make the oppressive atmosphere work.