Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

foxxtrot posted:

I also hate the "cute" ways many games offer for determining first player,

I find those amusing. My latest favourite is from a game called Eternity that is being released at Spiel. The wisest player starts - "wisest" defined as the person who put the game box on the table. Basically it's a witty way of saying that the owner goes first, or if not the owner someone who has probably played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

foxxtrot posted:

I also hate the "cute" ways many games offer for determining first player, so I typically just use this app which randomly selects a finger on put on the screen (it can even be used for random teams).

I like this one because it can give you a player ordering in addition to a first player.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

There are strategic decisions in COIN and it does affect the way you play the game. The issue is that sometimes the optimal strategic direction is not clear, and sometimes it can be hard for beginners to understand which strategic directions are suboptimal are which ones are more favorable to how the faction that they are playing functions.

One of the biggest issues that was apparent even with the release of Andean Abyss is the role of the principal insurgent faction, which in the case of Andean Abyss is FARC. I saw a lot of newbies play FARC like they would play any other standard force: attempt to take the government head on and do some damage. The problem with that is that the government is a lot more powerful than you, it can train pretty easily to get troops back, so losing two troops even with an ambush is not a good proposition. When I'm playing a principal insurgent faction (FARC in AA, a combination of M26/Directorio in CL, Taliban in ADP, NLF in FitL etc) you need to understand that the most important part of the game is targeting infrastructure to cut off the government economically and doing as much terror as possible. One thing that Panzeh used to do in AA as FARC was the basis of most of my principal insurgent strats: you go to the roads surrounding cities (for free) to draw out the police/troops, then you jump into the cities and take control of them: if a propaganda is due this can severely stretch the forces of the government and if you take over a city during propaganda, all the nearby roads are auto-sabotaged. It's a strategy that is very annoying for the government to deal with and difficult for them to crush you because it takes so many resources to stop and you have to station lots of police/troops in cities which slows down your countryside pacification campaigns.
So if I'm trying to understand or explain the strategic decisions available to the insurgent faction, what are some of the alternative options? The broader strategy is more or less predetermined by the necessities of the situation, but what broad choices do you make?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

jmzero posted:

The front of the box says "There's no such thing as luck. Skill wins every time."

So it does. Fancy that, I've never read the box front blurb.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

I like this one because it can give you a player ordering in addition to a first player.

I use Chwazi and my friends accuse me of hacking fingerprint recognition.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Blamestorm posted:

Just go all in and bid for turn order, or auction the role of the player who decides the turn order.

How do we decide who bids first?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My "favorite" ridiculous method of choosing first is from this game, which advocates using whoever last visited a forest.

:geno:

EDIT:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How do we decide who bids first?

Bloodsport.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PerniciousKnid posted:

So if I'm trying to understand or explain the strategic decisions available to the insurgent faction, what are some of the alternative options? The broader strategy is more or less predetermined by the necessities of the situation, but what broad choices do you make?

I've been giving this some thought because I'm getting a group together for Cuba Libre and none of them have played a COIN game before.

I think I'll tell them to focus on their victory condition above all. The correct path forward isn't always clear but if (for example) as Directorio you do something that gets you closer to having more control and more bases on the board, that's a good [enough] move. I know that probably makes obvious sense, but every player in a game goes through stages of:

What am I Doing? -> What Are My Opponents Doing? -> What Do My Opponents THINK I am Doing/Will Do?

Just mindfully focus on #1 without worrying about the rest to start with. Otherwise it becomes a mental ratsnest, and fast.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Boxman posted:

Bloodsport.

A physical contest, in which the outcome is determined by the laws of physics and therefore affected by quantum mechanics introducing post-decision randomness? May as well play Talisman.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A physical contest, in which the outcome is determined by the laws of physics and therefore affected by quantum mechanics introducing post-decision randomness? May as well play Talisman.

Yeah I was hoping we could find a non-random multiplayer game but all roads lead to Talisman. Rutibex was right.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PerniciousKnid posted:

It can vary from game to game. I think that overall for insurgents in Andean Abyss, you can decide where to strike and how, because the map is so large that attacking different areas will bring you in conflict with different factions. You need to decide what kind of policy you are going to have with the Cartel, if you aggressively fight back the AUC or let the government deal with them, how aggressively you are going to contest areas that are under attack by government pacification attempts (rallying in areas can be annoying for the Government since they don't like underground guerillas in areas where they just gained support). The aims in the end are similar, but there is a lot of leeway in how they achieve them and how you interact with the other factions. COINs however, tend to be reactive games by nature.

M26/DR in Cuba Libre tends to have a lot more randomness and a lot more constraint in the way that you deal with them. This is because they can get potentially powerful capabilities that really swing the game in their favour, and thus it is impossible to set out a broad strategy since you don't know what those capabilities are. ADP is a bit of a mixture because the Taliban are powerful even without capabilities, but with them they become EXTREMELY powerful.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Lichtenstein posted:

So apparently Quinns did not pull the article on the LoL game due to a conflict of interests, but rather a press embargo and will in fact have it reviewed on his site by a friend. :laugh:

This seems pretty shady and makes me sad that I'm not qualified/well-connected/charming enough to start up my own board game review site. Like, if they were just going to do a standard How To Play type video, that's fine, but trying to pass off an actual review as unbiased under these circumstances is lunatic.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
This is probably the wrong thread for this, but maybe you guys have an idea anyway. I had the thought the other day that it might be cool to host one of those Murder Mystery things. Has anyone done that before and have any tips? Do you know any good ones?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Frush posted:

This is probably the wrong thread for this, but maybe you guys have an idea anyway. I had the thought the other day that it might be cool to host one of those Murder Mystery things. Has anyone done that before and have any tips? Do you know any good ones?

My friend did one. The recipes were really good and we had a good time, but the mystery was a little lame.

I believe the one he chose was a Murder Mystery Party from University Games.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

This seems pretty shady and makes me sad that I'm not qualified/well-connected/charming enough to start up my own board game review site. Like, if they were just going to do a standard How To Play type video, that's fine, but trying to pass off an actual review as unbiased under these circumstances is lunatic.

How's it shady? He basically said he was a part of it. Multiple times and that he'd be biased. I assume they still want to review it and he also said that it would be by one of his friends. It's fairly open information. In a world where videogame review companies literally pay for reviews, this is barely a spark.

It'd be shady if he said he didn't have a part in it or worse yet not even mention anything.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Shady goes a bit far, but "I had a part in developing this, so I'm not going to review it due to a conflict of interests. Instead I'll have a friend do it." is silly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

He could have done the review himself and put full disclosure that he had worked on it ahead of the review, and I honestly would not have had any issues with that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't care with disclaimers either, but it's stuff like the controversy with Undead Viking that's leading to more scrutiny and this game is weird because Riot has the clout to control its dissemination unlike every other board game.

Review embargoes are not something I want to see become prominent in the world of board games.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

foxxtrot posted:

I typically just use this app which randomly selects a finger on put on the screen (it can even be used for random teams).

I don't want to touch your phone. Ever. It goes in the bathroom with you.

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?

al-azad posted:

I don't care with disclaimers either, but it's stuff like the controversy with Undead Viking that's leading to more scrutiny and this game is weird because Riot has the clout to control its dissemination unlike every other board game.

Review embargoes are not something I want to see become prominent in the world of board games.

Didn't he just have to take the initial Mechs vs Minions post down because the game wasn't even officially announced yet? Unless we're talking about a post later made, (after the game was announced) that had to be taken down.

As for Murder Mystery Dinners, I've participated in only one! "How To Host A Murder: The Chicago Caper" to be exact. It was fun, but not much of a mystery to solve honestly. With "How to Host a Murder" you get information every round, and then you just kind of roleplay it out. The murderer didn't know they were the murderer until the final round. It might have been just the particularly case we had, or maybe even the people, but there wasn't much of anything to solve. Just role playing. It was fun though!

bean mug fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 30, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Deviant posted:

I don't want to touch your phone. Ever. It goes in the bathroom with you.

There are other people's poop particles everywhere. Deal with it

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

deadwing posted:

There are other people's poop particles everywhere. Deal with it

I might have touched Munchkin particles today. :barf:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I remember there being problems with the first Tragedy Looper expansion, Midnight Circle, but are there also issues with Cosmic Evil?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

I remember there being problems with the first Tragedy Looper expansion, Midnight Circle, but are there also issues with Cosmic Evil?

Yes, as with Midnight Circle the reference sheet has some errors:

The Noble Bloodline mainplot should have "[Script creation]: Key Person and Vampire must have opposite genders."
The Key Girl subplot should have "[Script creation]: Key Person must be a girl."
The Executioner incident should have <Paranoia limit -1>
The Showoff role's threshold should be 2 paranoia, not 3. This one is still not fixed on the online reference sheet.

Additionally, Script #2 doesn't work as intended; a flaw in the script design makes it unwinnable for the Mastermind.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Some Numbers posted:

Gutter Owl posted:

So apparently Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil is showing off that good ol' ZMAN quality control.

The summary sheet (i.e. the thing what makes the game work) that comes with the box has several major errors. There's a revised version of the sheet tucked away in ZMAN's Downloads page...which STILL has errors.

(It's worth noting for those who missed it, the Midnight Circle expansion also came with a botched summary sheet, which had to be revised online, and said revised version ALSO still contains translation errors.)

Also, at least one of the prewritten scenarios is fundamentally broken (warning for CE script 2 spoilers), and likely unwinnable by the Mastermind.

Basically, ZMAN games can't find its rear end with both hands and I hope Asmodee fires everyone for grotesque incompetence.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

It can vary from game to game.

Thanks for the tips. I'm giving serious thought to picking up Falling Sky, and thinking through how to explain it. Like, in teaching chess, I would explain how you can trade material for tempo advantages, or eke out a material gain and trade pieces to simplify the game, or try to muddy the waters by creating complex positions. With COIN I gather that some of the tradeoffs you're deciding on are how to deal with each other faction (a little like Diplomacy I guess).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

bean mug posted:

Didn't he just have to take the initial Mechs vs Minions post down because the game wasn't even officially announced yet? Unless we're talking about a post later made, (after the game was announced) that had to be taken down.

As for Murder Mystery Dinners, I've participated in only one! "How To Host A Murder: The Chicago Caper" to be exact. It was fun, but not much of a mystery to solve honestly. With "How to Host a Murder" you get information every round, and then you just kind of roleplay it out. The murderer didn't know they were the murderer until the final round. It might have been just the particularly case we had, or maybe even the people, but there wasn't much of anything to solve. Just role playing. It was fun though!

I looked at a bunch of murder mysteries and the ones I found followed this formula, so I wrote one for my friends with some simple mechanisms cribbed from various boardgames (mainly Avalon/ Resistance/ Ultimate Werewolf style games, tbh) and hosted it last New Year. It was brilliant fun, would thoroughly recommend doing it! I made sure the murderer knew who they were from the start, and that everyone had a decent but vaguely different route to solving the mystery, plus a load of distraction stuff based around earning money and ruining everyone else's reputations.

I've been planning on writing a new one this year with some stuff stolen from 2 Rooms and a Boom and probably the fascists/liberal voting bit from Secret Hitler.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 1, 2016

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Invasive board game thought I've been having today:

Tragedy Loopin' Louie

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Somebody published mysteries where each character has sub objectives and there was a light rps mechanic for dueling. Can't remember the name offhand.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

al-azad posted:

Since the reviews in general are not good/useful anyways, does it matter that much?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

al-azad posted:

I haven't heard about this particular controversy, at least as it relates to Undead Viking. Can you elaborate? What I've seen of that guy makes me think he's a grade A knob.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Is there still an active bsg thread with all the custom goon rules and all that? Did they make the game better or just different?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I finally played Seasons two-player with my wife. I'd played it four-player before years ago when it came out, and I wasn't huge on it as a four-player game.

I like it a lot more with two-players, because it's less chaotic and the "attack" cards are much more straightforward and impactful. I can't tell how good it will be with multiple play throughs; I think after like two or three plays we'll both have a much stronger idea of which cards are good and what synergizes with what, which will make it more fun. We'll also likely have a better idea of who is actually winning. My biggest complaint with our first play was that it was kind of hard to judge who was in the lead. I think next time we play I may try to keep some kind of running score tally on an iPad or something just adding the points in as the cards are played or destroyed etc.

I also got Castles of Burgundy to play as a two-player game, but I'd rather play Seasons several more times so we can get used to how it plays rather than jumping from game to game.

We played Patchwork a few more times after I posted about it in here, and I realized I really just kind of suck at the game. It's still pretty fun and a good fast game to play with almost no setup time.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Does anyone have any experience with Fantasy Flight support? I was popping out map pieces for a Mansions of Madness expansion and found a piece sandwiched in the middle of the stack with this ugly scratch mark across it. I'm considering asking them for a replacement piece but not if its going to be a pain in the rear end (also I'm not sure they'd ship out to Australia).

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I need a recommendation for a small (will fit in a hiking pack) game that's good for 3 or 4 players, preferably kinda mid-weight complexity. And not text-heavy since we'll need to read with candles/head-torches. I've got Citadels but stuff like that could work - I was looking at The Builders: Antiquity and Harbour.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Alris posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Fantasy Flight support? I was popping out map pieces for a Mansions of Madness expansion and found a piece sandwiched in the middle of the stack with this ugly scratch mark across it. I'm considering asking them for a replacement piece but not if its going to be a pain in the rear end (also I'm not sure they'd ship out to Australia).

:(

That's ugly. For such a pricey game (also in Aus) I expected better. Mine has nothing like that but some of the minis are a bit crap and out of shape. Rare that they easily go into their stands too.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Alris posted:

I once had a broken fin for Armada and they replaced it with no issues. Any friends that requested replacement X-wing cards also got them (and usually some extras as well). I'm positive they'll send you a new tile if you ask them to.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Alris posted:

I'm in Australia too and recently a couple of friends and I sent a message to FFG support because between us we had a few missing xwing damage cards and a lost c3p0 model from IA. They shipped us replacements straight away, no questions asked.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FFG/Asmodee is great about replacement parts. All they ask is to take a picture of the damage. It takes about 7-8 weeks between sending the complaint and receiving the part in the US - no clue about australia. They only ever send one automatic email acknowledging the complaint and another one upon shipment several weeks later so don't fret if you don't hear anything for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I haven't heard about this particular controversy, at least as it relates to Undead Viking. Can you elaborate? What I've seen of that guy makes me think he's a grade A knob.

Nothing worth diving in deep because it's the most tepid poo poo. There was a Kickstarter for a game called LOAD filled with shady poo poo like the project runners refusing to reveal their identity until after the campaign because of an "NDA." It ended up being a company that had connections to many other contentious Kickstarters where things like plagiarism and strange backer bumps in the highest tiers occurred often. The campaign was successful and basically two video reviews cropped up; one guy made it clear he was getting paid for it and Undead Viking didn't. When pressed on it UK got defensive and internet drama ensued.

I know the big reviewers are getting kickbacks from publishers for their stuff and as board games start getting really big (loving codenames in big retail stores yo) I really want to keep the scummy stuff that plagues video games and movies at an arms length. Publishers know these big names are valuable and I want them to maintain some autonomy where they can do their own thing.