Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at this point I'm less worried about trump actually getting more people to vote for him than I am about his trumpabteilung thugs suppressing votes at key precincts or Putin trying to hack lovely old voting machines

I never understood how hacking voting machines was supposed to work honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I might not get to be the guy to tell Paul Ryan about this, but I did get to tell my dad.

He then proceeded to Arzy like a motherfucker and say it probably won't matter

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mel Mudkiper posted:

they're incredibly insecure and with the right hardware/software you can simply manually set the values in the database that the machine reports as its total

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

reminder:
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/782438931912687616
poo poo matters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As I understand most old voting machines are ready to hack but would have to be done in person, and in order to not be obvious would have to be done by trying amount in a lot of places.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess you could say its.... Great Days

I'm looking forward to his next BREAK DOWN BREAK DOWN

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo how do REAL billionaires or millionaires pay little/zero taxes? I assume they do it without saying" Yeah I lost a billion dollars"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me put it like this. Slot machines have tighter regulations than voting machines.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What would be the actual consequences of a Russian attempt to sabotage or hack the election? Would we actually do anything?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

This is what happens when someone who's actually crooked as the right wing likes to pretend the Clintons are comes under scrutiny. A little pressure and the ugly poo poo just keeps oozing out like an infected wound.

You know, aside from this, Hillary was loving waiting for Trump to bring up Bill's martial infidelity. She was disappointed that he only brought it up 5-10 minutes toward the end of the debate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they're incredibly insecure and with the right hardware/software you can simply manually set the values in the database that the machine reports as its total

That. Also if you do know the voting system used in a polling place (there's not that many and they're not updated. Like ever.) you just send someone in with a premade worm on a USB stick. Guy plugs it in and suddenly every vote cast on that machine will be under your control.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well yeah but wouldn't you have to do that to each machine?

That's what I mean. I get the machines themselves are insecure but afaik there isn't some primary server they all run on that a hacker could access. I could be totally wrong though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CascadeBeta posted:

What would be the actual consequences of a Russian attempt to sabotage or hack the election? Would we actually do anything?

make russian elections fair and transparent

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

That. Also if you do know the voting system used in a polling place (there's not that many and they're not updated. Like ever.) you just send someone in with a premade worm on a USB stick. Guy plugs it in and suddenly every vote cast on that machine will be under your control.

I heard a story on the radio about how my city was worried because a lot of the electronic voting machines were more than ten years old. Electronic voting machines are such a stupid idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Each precinct calls into their states secretary of state office that tallies and certifies the results.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We use the optical scanners in my Florida county. Instant results, can't hack them, can't screw up "bubble in the guy you want for president and put the ballot in the reader." Why doesn't everyone use them?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Jack Skellington came out from under my bed and told me he'd be delivering my Christmas presents for this year. He then directed me to this thread.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Crain posted:

They have usb ports? Jesus Christ, there's a ticking bomb waiting to go off right there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, to steal an election with electronic voting machines you would need to have thousands of field agents able to simultaneously manually hack thousands of machines around the country without a single one getting caught

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hell, you know what? You don't even need to "hack" the damned things.

There are USB attack sticks like this that are designed to fry computers just by plugging them in.

Go into a tight district, or a minority controlled district, or whatever your choice of suppression is and plug those into the machines.

Now that polling place that only had 5 machines to use for the day has 4, 3, 2, or even go for broke and kill them all. Now it's all paper ballots and wasted time trying to figure out what happened and less people get to vote.

There are so many ways to abuse digital voting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

We use the optical scanners in my Florida county. Instant results, can't hack them, can't screw up "bubble in the guy you want for president and put the ballot in the reader." Why doesn't everyone use them?

You can probably hack those by just plugging in something into something.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crain posted:

or even go for broke and kill them all. Now it's all paper ballots and wasted time trying to figure out what happened and less people get to vote.

There are so many ways to abuse digital voting.

how does an outside agent kill all the voting machines in a polling place without getting caught?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, to steal an election with electronic voting machines you would need to have thousands of field agents able to simultaneously manually hack thousands of machines around the country without a single one getting caught

You mean like the DEMOCRATS did in 2008 and 2012????

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

CascadeBeta posted:

No, because President Trump's first priority would be to sweep it under the rug and whatever mid level bureaucratic drones might disagree aren't about to risk their careers and futures to be declared conspiracy mongering cranks. The cost to any individual to pushing back on that is so high nobody would do it, and the powers that be fear 8 years of trump less than the chaos and disorder of undermining the electoral system.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, we should be vigilant and concerned about the security of our voting but Russia doesn't have the manpower or coordination ability to pull of a theft of the an America presidential election.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also: Donald Trump lost a billion dollars in 1995 and hasn't paid taxes since

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

greatn posted:

You can probably hack those by just plugging in something into something.

The important thing is there's still a box of paper ballots attached to the scanner though. If there are any irregularities with the machine, just count the ballots yourself. You can't do that with a fully electronic voting booth.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but wouldn't you have to do that to each machine?

That's what I mean. I get the machines themselves are insecure but afaik there isn't some primary server they all run on that a hacker could access. I could be totally wrong though.

Like I said, if you know the system they use then it's as easy as making a worm before hand to attack the machine, put it on a usb stick, and when you go to vote you just plug it in.

There are worms that can activate simply by having the computer access the USB just to recognize it's there, without having to actually "run" the program on the stick itself.

It's not like we're talking about going up and doing obvious things like opening it up or pulling out a keyboard to try and force it to desktop.

"Hacking" a voting machine would take seconds and not even be noticeable, which is already the case because polling machines are private anyway and no one should be eyeballing you.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how does an outside agent kill all the voting machines in a polling place without getting caught?

Look at that link. Those usb sticks literally fry machines they get plugged into unless the ports are properly shielded. I can guarantee you a 10 year old voting machine isn't.

So just vote, get your ticket (if your place does that), plug it in to fry the machine, remove the stick, turn in your ticket and go.

No one is watching you over your shoulder when your voting. The next person to see that machine will be another voter after you've left and they'll just see a black screen. It'll take them forever to figure out what's wrong.

Crain fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 2, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

MN uses optical scanners state wide. They are great. Instant ballot validation. Instant results. Perfect Paper Trail.

Though if I'm remember correctly the process is to report the results from the machine right at poll close for preliminary numbers then count the paper ballots by hand for the final count.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Why would a digital voting machine have a USB port? Or any accessible port?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Furnaceface posted:

Optimism, hell of a drug.

As a non-American Im really happy for you guys. NYT basically just let the rest of the world unclench their collective buttholes.

Reminder to Americans: No one's win poo poo yet. Volunteer to GOTV. Even if Hillary is near guaranteed we need the Senate and (gods willing) the House.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crain posted:

"Hacking" a voting machine would take seconds and not even be noticeable, which is already the case because polling machines are private anyway and no one should be eyeballing you.

Ok, but that would mean there would have to be a separate field agent for every machine in every precinct. It's not like they let you go up to every voting machine either.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BigRed0427 posted:

I can't stop giggling like an idiot. I haven't felt this good in a long time. Dead serious.

Right before the first debate I was feeling really nervous, and since then I've been walking around with a poo poo-eating grin practically 24/7.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
While Michigan at this point is leaning blue, this is a pretty damning piece by Nolan Finley, a known conservative columnist for the Detroit News.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/nolan-finley/2016/10/01/finley-trump-trying-lose/91418158/

Trump hosed up big with his 4 am tweet, and it's showing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Crain posted:

Like I said, if you know the system they use then it's as easy as making a worm before hand to attack the machine, put it on a usb stick, and when you go to vote you just plug it in.

There are worms that can activate simply by having the computer access the USB just to recognize it's there, without having to actually "run" the program on the stick itself.

It's not like we're talking about going up and doing obvious things like opening it up or pulling out a keyboard to try and force it to desktop.

I dunno, is the usb port right there in the booth with you?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I uh... HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP NOW? My raging erection prevents it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, but that would mean there would have to be a separate field agent for every machine in every precinct. It's not like they let you go up to every voting machine either.

you dont have to hack every machine, just a few in key places

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

While Michigan at this point is leaning blue, this is a pretty damning piece by Nolan Finley, a known conservative columnist for the Detroit News.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/nolan-finley/2016/10/01/finley-trump-trying-lose/91418158/

Trump hosed up big with his 4 am tweet, and it's showing.

Note that the Detroit News is the paper that broke its 140+ year tradition of endorsing Republicans to endorse Gary loving Johnson over Trump.

This goddamn election

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

remember all the people insisting that Trump would win the first debate right up to the day of?

I have literally never been wronger about anything in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

AtomikKrab posted:

I uh... HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP NOW? My raging erection prevents it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a tsunami of babies being born into Democrat households nine months from now

• Locked thread